OT: Billikens.com Primer - 2013 Edition

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well of course you would say no skip. you were the first one to use the lazy stupid confusing habit of initials only. it is really your biggest contribution to billikenss.com. the use of the players initials to discuss the team. congratulations skip. you are the supreme trendsetter.

(now that's funny skip) ;-)

well of course you would say no skip. you were the first one to use the lazy stupid confusing habit of initials only. it is really your biggest contribution to billikenss.com. the use of the players initials to discuss the team. congratulations skip. you are the supreme trendsetter.

(now that's funny skip) ;-)

I think it's nice that you care enough about me to remember something so trivial from so long ago ... or maybe it's a bit creepy. Are you stalking me Roy?

I have other contributions also ... I remember once in '04 I had an interesting soccer post and another time in '09 I posted something good. I don't remember what it was, but I distinctly remember feeling very good about it at the time

I think it's nice that you care enough about me to remember something so trivial from so long ago ... or maybe it's a bit creepy. Are you stalking me Roy?

I have other contributions also ... I remember once in '04 I had an interesting soccer post and another time in '09 I posted something good. I don't remember what it was, but I distinctly remember feeling very good about it at the time

'04 wasn't that interesting. '09 was borderline...at best.

It is true, Wiz's predictions are acually the Vegas lines a day or two early per the LV power rating formulas, you can get them online several places. So if SLU is - 6, then the game ends SLU by 6 or so, the duped greenhorns think he predicted the game and go ape with praise. If Wiz was a "Wiz", he would say SLU wins by 14. Or loses by 4.

Yes, ALL soccer posts are boring, should be banned. I like the ESPN replays of the 2 goals, the other 88 minutes are a waste of time. And the USA team.. can't beat El Salvador or Namabia or whoever.

Yes we should use full names, not inititals for the players.

We shoulda went with the MVC 8-9 yrs ago instead of the lame collapsing Atlantic 10. Majerus, THE MAN, himself said so. Fordam, RI, St. Bonnie... hell until this yr the only home games anyone wanted to see were X, Temple, and Dayton, and we rarely played all 3 at home. RPI last 8-9 yrs too close to call between the leagues. Refs from hell. Worst TV package, ever. Oh, and take those 1,500 mile road trips, girls volleyball, etc.

Yes, generally speaking, the bad stuff IS Biondi's fault. He can make good on a lot if he somehow gets us in the NBE. Huge difference.

The use of "+1" to agree with another post should be banned, it is not manly. In fact, it is sissy.

It IS true, we need BIGS. BIGS. What is the difference the last several yrs? BIGS. Yes good guards but we have never had deep diverse talented bigs before. Makes the guards look better. We have had 5-6 bigs to rotate the last seveal yrs. Used to be, "V" gets in foul trouble, game over.

Yes, parking is bad at SLU, I used "6 blocks" with eggagerative humor. CR knows his sh*t. Lots of older fans at the games.

Some posters need to back off starting threads like this like they are gaining the favor of the big guys, trying to be a big shot. And some (same guy?) over do it with lengthy, insignificant, meaningless stats, does not know the difference between meaningful stats and bull**** ca-ca stats.

Some posters, especially one, need to restrict their one sentence smart ass posts to < 25%, he is at about a > 75% clip right now.

Broy should not be allowed to blatently over rate nearby southern Illinois players for 8-9 yrs to even out what he has thus far done.

The SL Post is a foo-foo commie paper that obnoxiously favors the goddam Missouri Tigers every single time. Every single time.

Pujols will be 37 in a few weeks.

It is true, Wiz's predictions are acually the Vegas lines a day or two early per the LV power rating formulas, you can get them online several places. So if SLU is - 6, then the game ends SLU by 6 or so, the duped greenhorns think he predicted the game and go ape with praise. If Wiz was a "Wiz", he would say SLU wins by 14. Or loses by 4.

Yes, ALL soccer posts are boring, should be banned. I like the ESPN replays of the 2 goals, the other 88 minutes are a waste of time. And the USA team.. can't beat El Salvador or Namabia or whoever.

We shoulda went with the MVC 8-9 yrs ago instead of the lame collapsing Atlantic 10. Majerus, THE MAN, himself said so. Fordam, RI, St. Bonnie... hell until this yr the only home games anyone wanted to see were X, Temple, and Dayton, and we rarely played all 3 at home. RPI last 8-9 yrs too close to call between the leagues. Refs from hell. Worst TV package, ever. Oh, and take those 1,500 mile road trips, girls volleyball, etc.

Yes, generally speaking, the bad stuff IS Biondi's fault. He can make good on a lot if he somehow gets us in the NBE. Huge difference.

The use of "+1" to agree with another post should be banned, it is not manly. In fact, it is sissy.

It IS true, we need BIGS. BIGS. What is the difference the last several yrs? BIGS. Yes good guards but we have never had deep diverse talented bigs before. Makes the guards look better. We have had 5-6 bigs to rotate the last seveal yrs. Used to be, "V" gets in foul trouble, game over.

Yes, parking is bad at SLU, I used "6 blocks" with eggagerative humor. CR knows his sh*t. Lots of older fans at the games.

Some posters need to back off starting threads like this like they are gaining the favor of the big guys, trying to be a big shot. And some (same guy?) over do it with lengthy, insignificant, meaningless stats, does not know the difference between meaningful stats and bull**** ca-ca stats.

Some posters, especially one, need to restrict their one sentence smart ass posts to < 25%, he is at about a > 75% clip right now.

Broy should not be allowed to blatently over rate nearby southern Illinois players for 8-9 yrs to even out what he has thus far done.

The SL Post is a foo-foo commie paper that obnoxiously favors the goddam Missouri Tigers every single time. Every single time.

+1

And The Wiz actually prefers to be called "The Wiz" in social settings (namely, Billiken basketball games). No one really knows what his name is or what he does and we shall keep it like that. He's just "The Wiz." And nobody beats him.

No thread is truly complete until MB73 makes his mark, much like a dog lifting its leg. This typically happens after a few too many vodkas.

And that vodka is shared between mb and other captains of industry.

Hmmm.....I thought I understood what I did until I read this post.

So I copy Vegas lines yet I post before they do. And I do this by using LV power rating formulas. Wouldn't Vegas be able to use their own formulas and beat me to the punch? Cmon, MB....it is time for "the truth".....Vegas waits for me to post then copies...."reality"

I am not quite sure I have a handle on this next part. So if I pick the Bills by 6 and they win by 6, I have screwed up?????? I should actually pick them to win by 14 or to lose by 4????? Hmmm... perhaps you need to review my signature quote by Descartes. It is at the bottom of every post I make. Maybe that will clear things up for you a bit.

Aren't you the guy MB who last year (January 2012) when I first declared the Bills were an elite team (ranked in the teens) ...declared that was a ca-ca post ...and said the Bills were no better than a team ranked in the 60's using some sort of LV power rankings....and continued to rag on me saying we weren't a tournment worthy team right into the 2012 NCAA tourney. How is that system working out for you? Keep on it.

So, until I can fit foo-foo into a probability formula or ca-ca into a computer model, you, MB will have to stay in the category of irrelevant.

I have no idea if this was satire, but it might be one of my favorite posts of all time. Almost every sentence is pure gold.

Billikens.com land is divided into several distinct regions. Occupying the penthouse are the well-heeled insiders who rarely share any worthwhile info, for our own good. The huts inhabited by the majority of the posters are rented by sundry morons, cretins and other outsiders such as sweatervesters, methdalers, brownindians or worshippers of the god Valpo. The Wiz, who is almost always right, lives behind a purple curtain rumored to be in Clayton. Billikens.com Land was popular as a board game but is no longer available due to the SLU bookstore's inaction on replenishing their supply, as well as the demise of the Webster Ben Franklin. Fun while it lasted.

I have no idea if this was satire, but it might be one of my favorite posts of all time. Almost every sentence is pure gold.

Sadly and incredibly, there is not an ounce of satire in that entire post. Truth.

Hmmm.....I thought I understood what I did until I read this post.

So I copy Vegas lines yet I post before they do. And I do this by using LV power rating formulas. Wouldn't Vegas be able to use their own formulas and beat me to the punch? Cmon, MB....it is time for "the truth".....Vegas waits for me to post then copies...."reality"

I am not quite sure I have a handle on this next part. So if I pick the Bills by 6 and they win by 6, I have screwed up?????? I should actually pick them to win by 14 or to lose by 4????? Hmmm... perhaps you need to review my signature quote by Descartes. It is at the bottom of every post I make. Maybe that will clear things up for you a bit.

Aren't you the guy MB who last year (January 2012) when I first declared the Bills were an elite team (ranked in the teens) ...declared that was a ca-ca post ...and said the Bills were no better than a team ranked in the 60's using some sort of LV power rankings....and continued to rag on me saying we weren't a tournment worthy team right into the 2012 NCAA tourney. How is that system working out for you? Keep on it.

So, until I can fit foo-foo into a probability formula or ca-ca into a computer model, you, MB will have to stay in the category of irrelevant.

No Wiz, you do not understand even this simple gambling dynamic. Power ratings are published & updated daily by several Vegas sources, and they are used to make the point spread when the day comes for the next game. So if a game is Thursday, on Tuesday one power rating source might rate SLU 85 and another team 83; game is at SLU, 3-4 pt home court advantage so on Tuesday you can project SLU to be a 6 pt favorite, give or take a point. Anybody can look this up and predict the Vegas point spread a few days early. The sources are all pretty consistent, within a 1/2 or full point of each other.

RE: last yr, you had SLU at 14 or so, I said high 20's-low 30's.... earlier, yes, before the win streak I said they were still 50+ accordind to RPI and other reasonable sources. THEN they hit the sweet win streak. So you are using time frames to skew what actually occurred. SO we did well but lost the 2nd game in the NCAA's. Not quite 14th, then. More like 22-28 since they didnt make the Sweet 16, which I later posted.

Nice try.

WIZ has a statistical analysis formula through which he rates teams (not really programs) by letter grade and plus or minus and suggests a game result and margin based on statistical probabilities, but MB73 will call Wiz's post caca and claim he just posts the Vegas line early.

+73.....

My prognostication hat is off to you, sir. You not only predicted what MB would say but you did it an hour and 47 minutes before he posted.

Now there is true predictive power....

how's the paying up to keep this thing afloat work? I think i came in right at the end of last hat passing?

pm steve to get the current address to send a check.