Billikens and the NBA

I keep thinking if DE could really improve his outside shooting, he might get a look, but he would have to do like the kid from Virginia Tech who led the country in scoring and shoot all summer (kid from VT set the goal of 25,000 makes during the summer and surpassed it).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like Bonner's salary history is a little incomplete. Looks like it is missing his rookie season, which is probably the same amount as his second season (or close.) Pretty sure his time in Orlando at the end was just a 10 day contract. But even then, you are right, the disparity is pretty amazing. Some of that can be based on era-difference, but mostly it just comes down to the length of time Hughes played along with his ability to parlay a really good season with Washington into a HUGE contract with Cleveland.

Bonner left the NBA to play in Europe. At that time in the NBA if you were not a starter and you were big, you could make more money in Europe.

Remember when there was concern that he was going to declare for the draft his junior year...?

I remember IV went to some pre draft workouts and from all accounts got flat out owned.

I think that is part of the reason for his poor senior year.

Its pure speculation but after seeing how much more work he needed to be an NBA player I think he may have mailed it in and was content to be a Euro-pro.

I think getting stomped in those predraft camps took away some of his work ethic/enthusiasm for the game.

Willie Reed will almost certainly be in the league at the start of next season. I know our opinions on him vary, but he was a Billiken.

I agree. I hope that Willie could set a trend for guys to jump to the NBA as legit "prospects" as opposed to 10 day fillers. Some guys aren't cut out for college and it would be great to see a real alternative.

I agree. I hope that Willie could set a trend for guys to jump to the NBA as legit "prospects" as opposed to 10 day fillers. Some guys aren't cut out for college and it would be great to see a real alternative.

I wish he D league would let kids join right out of HS. If kids dobt want to go to college and the NBA doesnt want 18 year olds why not?

Instead of wasting time at some NBA prep school they could be getting paid legally.

Id also like to see what Callapari would do if that happens.

I wish he D league would let kids join right out of HS. If kids dobt want to go to college and the NBA doesnt want 18 year olds why not?

Instead of wasting time at some NBA prep school they could be getting paid legally.

Agree completely. If kids want to focus exclusively on basketball, let them. They're not going to take any benefit away from a year in college that they couldn't get in the NBA/D league, and they forgo a year of earnings.

Agree completely. If kids want to focus exclusively on basketball, let them. They're not going to take any benefit away from a year in college that they couldn't get in the NBA/D league, and they forgo a year of earnings.

I am nearly positive kids can do d league straight out of high school. I think there has been at least one kid do it from my memory. The ideal is do a Brandon Jennings. Pay is wayyy higher in Europe.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=truehoop&id=10386&src=desktop

Here it is. I just think the pay is way too low in the d league and exposure is much better in college basketball. Right noe

Good catch, and you're probably right. Ideally, we'd just get rid of this whole sham "one-and-done" rule. But then I imagine Calipari would explode in a fit of lawsuits.

RL has the best chance right now. He is not old, could still physically develop. He has something that is hard to find in an NBA big, a good outside shot. Further, he can score and he not scared to shoot it, which is important in the NBA.

If he ever develops a great inside game he is a lock. DE is next and has a long shot as a 2 or 3.

Novak is looked at as a scrub 7 footer who just shoots 3s. He was an excellent shot blocker in college. He wasn't an All American but had a much better skill set than Rob does. As much as Rob presents matchup problems in college, there are 15 big men who can do the same thing with more talent and skill. He still has a rare skill set but not rare enough to get drafted.

Dwayne no. McCall no. Jett no...but I think he has the best chance of the current group, still slim to none.

-my guess is the NCAA likes being the farm system of the NBA or they would change the rules or they are afraid of litigation

personally i think jett has a better chance of catching on in the nfl. seriously, imo, the guy would just be an animal head hunting safety and with his over the top athleticism, just the perfect guy to be the last option on the field.

as disappointed as i have been with rob loe, a come to jesus summer, whereby loe worked on all things not with a basketball in his hands, would increase his chances tremendously. but looking at rob loe's body, i seriously doubt he has set any weight room attendance records in his three years as a billiken. hey it could happen. and if it does, rob loe is the missing ingredient for this team. no one carries more potential in my opinion. but i am not holding my breath and not expecting anymore than the decent passer, heady floor player and streaky shooter with a soft in the lane disposition, rob has been the first three years.

personally i think jett has a better chance of catching on in the nfl. seriously, imo, the guy would just be an animal head hunting safety and with his over the top athleticism, just the perfect guy to be the last option on the field.

Could Jett transfer to a D1 football program for the 2014 season?

You don't just make an NFL roster at a skill position without playing college ball.

Clearly Jett chose to play college basketball for a reason. Possibly it had to do with the toll that football takes on the human body, or maybe it was strictly a matter of his passion for the game of basketball.

While the NBA is an extreme longshot, I imagine Jett could make near the same income playing a decade of basketball overseas than he could playing 2-3 years in the NFL, with a fraction of the injury risk.