Scheduling Thoughts

It's a 2 for 1 if last year's rumors are to be believed. I thought it was a dumb deal at the time and still think it is dumb.

It was dumb, but my guess is that we'll have more SLU fans there than SIUE fans.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was a nice goodwill gesture for us to do this with SIUE. Getting us to play in their gym is a nice boost for a new D-I program. It gives our guys an early season road game in a facility much like a lot of the A10 gyms without much travel hassle.

Our soccer programs have a long shared history, too.

Plus, it's an easy road trip for the fans, especially Roy.

White Pelican, to answer your question: http://www.siuecougars.com/facilities/Vadalabene_Center - Capacity is just over 4,000. Record crowd was 4,157, which was for the ESPNU Murray State game in 2012. We should try to beat it for the SLU game.

I don't want to be the fan base that complains that the one bigger program in the area won't play us, and then turn around and talk down to the other smaller area programs. I'd happily keep doing 2-for-1 series with SIUE.

Thanks Next Year and Pistol. Not a bad looking gym if small for D1. I guess it would fit in with some in the A-10 anyway.

I'm fine with playing them. I guess we'll take an RPI hit but it didn't seem too harmful this season. And I know next year's will be more critical what with the teams we lose in the A-10.

How about a home and home w/ Wichita State? I don't know why they'd balk at that. Yeah, they made the F4 but still not the final 2, so they don't have that Butler halo around them. I'd also say that if the A10 could woo WSU and Valpo, if we somehow get left out in the cold from the Beast the A-10 would still be a very good conference. Still, the eye should be on the prize... Beast.

I'm not concerned about an RPI hit from SIUE. I'd rather take one from a local team on the road than some bizarrely-named directional school from across the country, like USC-Upstate.

Furthermore, SIUE as a basketball program and as an athletic program as a whole is going to keep getting better. After spending a lot of time in directional commuter school hell, the school seems to be making a serious effort to boost its profile by going D-1, recruiting more aggressively academically, and committing major resources to a number of programs. They're not going D-1 softly like some other schools have. They're not going to surpass Illinois or anything like that, but they're at least putting forth the effort to start getting noticed outside of the Metro East. Plus, Belmont and Murray State are in the Ohio Valley with them, for what is becoming a pretty solid conference.

They'll make less of a negative impact on the RPI with every additional year at this level.

I don't want to be the fan base that complains that the one bigger program in the area won't play us, and then turn around and talk down to the other smaller area programs. I'd happily keep doing 2-for-1 series with SIUE.

For that to work wouldnt they have to play us twice in a row at our place? Then we go there for one.

How about a home and home w/ Wichita State? I don't know why they'd balk at that. Yeah, they made the F4 but still not the final 2, so they don't have that Butler halo around them. I'd also say that if the A10 could woo WSU and Valpo, if we somehow get left out in the cold from the Beast the A-10 would still be a very good conference. Still, the eye should be on the prize... Beast.

Wichita State would be great. And I still don't understand why with all Father B's Jesuit connections, we can't get a game once in a while with Creighton. I guess they're too big for us now.

It would be a lot more interesting than Rockhurst. (Edit: And it would indirectly pi$$ on Southwest Missouri State. :angry:)

After holding off Metro State for their first Division II national championship, the Drury Panthers will get a chance to topple Division I powerhouse Duke. The Blue Devils issued an invitation Monday to the southwest Missouri school to play an October exhibition game at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham. Duke has made a tradition of inviting Division II tournament winners to play preseason games. Last year, the Blue Devils beat Western Washington 105-87.

-are we sure the away part of SIUE is this coming season?

-Chris May said in an interview a month or so ago we were talking with schools that in the past wouldn't talk to us, so we'll see, winning that Oregon game would have been a big help in a lot of areas I suspect, scheduling among them

-we can speculate all we want and I'll add my share ;) , let's just set the schedule (which we will know by Sept 13, will we have a coach by then?) at that point we can complain about the tv package and the game times not being on the tickets but let's just go play and beat the crap out of whoever is on the schedule

-are we sure the away part of SIUE is this coming season?

-Chris May said in an interview a month or so ago we were talking with schools that in the past wouldn't talk to us, so we'll see, winning that Oregon game would have been a big help in a lot of areas I suspect, scheduling among them

-we can speculate all we want and I'll add my share ;) , let's just set the schedule (which we will know by Sept 13, will we have a coach by then?) at that point we can complain about the tv package and the game times not being on the tickets but let's just go play and beat the crap out of whoever is on the schedule

It wouldn't matter if they DID put the game times on the tickets. These middle-aged eyes can't hardly see the DATES on the tickets. :rolleyes:

And I predict that we'll have a coach in place before the World Series. I know, I'm sticking my neck out.

For that to work wouldnt they have to play us twice in a row at our place? Then we go there for one.

I don't know the order. It could be 1-1-1, it could be 2-1. Does it matter?

I would guess scheduling home and home's with power conference teams will be easier than it had been. We've been in the NCAA's 2 years in a row and are going to be top 25-35 in most if not all polls to begin the year next year. Gonzaga, X, Butler ... none of those teams have problems with scheduling as a loss doesn't seem bad. I'm not saying we are there, but I am saying we are getting there and the salesmanship it should take to get these deals done is less than it was.

I'd also say that if the A10 could woo WSU and Valpo,

The conference that has visited and looked at Valpo is the Missouri Valley. I wouldn't say they are wooing Valpo. There are mixed feelings on the Valpo board about leaving the Horizon League and whether the MVC is a better conference for Valpo as a perfect fit academically. Many see the dismantling of a slow moving/reacting HL as a real problem and a move to the MVC as a necessity.

I thought it was a nice goodwill gesture for us to do this with SIUE. Getting us to play in their gym is a nice boost for a new D-I program. It gives our guys an early season road game in a facility much like a lot of the A10 gyms without much travel hassle.

Our soccer programs have a long shared history, too.

Plus, it's an easy road trip for the fans, especially Roy.

White Pelican, to answer your question: http://www.siuecougars.com/facilities/Vadalabene_Center - Capacity is just over 4,000. Record crowd was 4,157, which was for the ESPNU Murray State game in 2012. We should try to beat it for the SLU game.

I am fine with playing them, I just think its a buy level game that we are giving up a road game for. Why not replace a buy game with them?

I do think our teams needs to play on the road- not really sure this is what were looking for though.

At this point were on par with Mizzou -I can certainly understand them wanting to wait a few years to make sure these 2 years aren't a fluke. these are different situations in my mind.

Count me in your group. How are we giving 2 for 1's to programs that have only been around like 5 years.

Im not an insider (sarcasm) but we should be doing 5 for 1's or buy games with these guys.

Buy games exist only to make money, and I assume it's much cheaper to travel once to Edwardsville than it is to pay 2 teams to come here.

Buy games exist to garner wins and provide games for the schedule. Unless the arena is sold out w season tix profits are minimal if at all for buy games as walk up fans are next to nothing. Those that do come are typically discounted. And a percentage of season tix don't bother to show.

Meanwhile home team pays visitor a sizeable premium plus expenses. Plus many of the buy games also come with paid halftime entertainnent

The conference that has visited and looked at Valpo is the Missouri Valley. I wouldn't say they are wooing Valpo. There are mixed feelings on the Valpo board about leaving the Horizon League and whether the MVC is a better conference for Valpo as a perfect fit academically. Many see the dismantling of a slow moving/reacting HL as a real problem and a move to the MVC as a necessity.

Valpo should go to The MVC, per the end of yr post NCAA tournament final true power ratings (Las Vegas), The MVC blows The Horizon away... though Creighton is leaving.

But if Valpo joins, it is a plus for The MVC to help somewhat offset that loss.

League Power Rating Averages

League Rating

ACC 78

America East 65

Atlantic 10 76

Atlantic Sun 66

Big 12 79

Big East 80

Big Sky 64

Big South 65

Big Ten 82

Big West 67

Colonial Athletic 69

Conference USA 72

Great West 63

Horizon 70

Independent 62

Ivy League 69

Metro Atlantic 69

Mid-American 68

Mid-Eastern 63

Missouri Valley 76

Mountain West 77

Northeast 63

Ohio Valley 67

Pac Twelve 78

Patriot 68

SEC 77

Southern 66

Southland 65

Summit 66

Sun Belt 68

SWAC 59

WAC 71

Last updated 4/8/13

Valpo should go to The MVC, per the end of yr post NCAA tournament final true power ratings (Las Vegas), The MVC blows The Horizon away... though Creighton is leaving.

But if Valpo joins, it is a plus for The MVC to help somewhat offset that loss.

League Power Rating Averages

League Rating

Atlantic 10 76

Missouri Valley 76

Uh oh. See? Even the best year ever in the A10 is still just equal to the Valley

Uh oh. See? Even the best year ever in the A10 is still just equal to the Valley

Would Saint Louis join a conference that had Valpo as a member?

Reminds me of those Groucho Marx jokes.

Some schools looking for games next season that could be fun.

Seton Hall - We are looking to start a series on the road against a high major team on Saturday, December 7th. We are open to all options.

Cincinnati - We are looking for games on November 22/23 and December 2/3. We offer competitive guarantees. We are also open to a home/home with a High Major beginning in Cincinnati on those dates.

Oklahoma State - Oklahoma State is looking for the following games for the 2013-14 season 1.Neutral/Neutral Series starting in Oklahoma City at Chesapeake Arena on December 14, 2013, would return game to neutral site in 14-15 2. Guarantee games in Stillwater on following dates-November 8, 16, 20 and December 21, 2013. Will pay good guarantee and and possibly rooms. Call or email with serious interest

Texas A&M - exas A&M is looking for a high major opponent for a home/home to kick off the 2013-2014 season. Willing to discuss starting on the road. Please contact if interested.

Detroit - We are looking to start a home and home series(possibly four years). Have many options open!!If interested please call!

Murray State - Murray State is looking to start 1 home/home series in Murray, KY. Flexible dates. Please call

Southern Miss - Southern Miss is looking for a Top 100 opponent -- preferably a BCS school that is willing to start a Home & Home series in Hattiesburg next year. If interested, give me a call

DePaul - DePaul is looking start at least one more H/H Series. Could start it on the road potentially. 2 airports close will make travel easy. Date to be on the road: November 19th. Dates to host: December 3 December 9th or 10th December 13th

Georgia - We are looking to start a home and home with a BCS school. We have dates available.

St. Mary's - Saint Mary's is looking for guarantee games at Saint Mary\\'s. Also looking for a home and home starting at Saint Mary's. TV likely.

Charlotte - Looking for H / H starting in Charlotte. Many dates available.

I'd like some of those more than others but any of them would be good additions to our schedule. Not sure Big East teams would start a series with us since we might be joining them in a year.

Game listings came from here

http://www.basketballtravelers.com/game-schedule-board/?e_type=1

Did a search for the Saint Louis listings, all were for the 12-13 season, but the our last post was interesting... no one wanted us for an early December visit:

8/9/12 - We are looking to go on the road against a Top 75 team on Dec 9th. Please call with any interest. Thanks!

We never found a game, likely the reason we were off for 10 days between the 5th and 15th of Dec.