Recruiting - 2013

i'm with ace. i want the bigs. i think we are fine with the guard position for next year. i think we need immediate help inside.

Agreed, but what about the following season? We're awfully thin at guard when Barnett, Jett, and McCall graduate. That isn't to say we'll have plenty of prospects in the class of 2014, but just a thought.

I'm hoping we're able to land Djambo, and then whoever else we get will almost certainly be a guard. That alleviates concerns for 2014-2015, as one guard would have a year of SLU practice under his belt before having to contribute major minutes.

If we don't land Djambo, I don't know if there's another big in the pipeline for this season. Signing two guards wouldn't be terrible but we'd deifnitely need to get some help in the next class.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cgeldmacher, I take transfers on a case-by-case basis. They didn't pan out for Mizzou this year the way they'd hope, but they also got Wichita State to the Final Four.

If Santil goes to prep school, I wouldn't count on us being his favorite this time next year- if he doesn't sign in the fall first. Seems like a lot of guys who go to prep school have a totally different list in their fifth year than in their senior year. Plus, he might only be going that route because we're not as serious about him anymore. But if we could land him next season, that spot could go to another target this season and help our class breakdown. If these last two spots go to incoming freshmen, we'd be looking at potential back-to-back 5-man classes:

2013-2014

Seniors: Loe, Barnett, Jett, McCall, Evans

Juniors: Glaze, Manning

Sophomores: McBroom

Freshmen: Drew (RS), Crawford, Agbeko

That makes Yacoubou, Djambo, and Knight attractive - they'd all be in the same class with McBroom upon Yacoubou's return to the floor in 2014-2015 - although I still have other concerns about Knight.

Just FYI: I think Jordair committed to SLU, went to prep school, and then recommitted to SLU.

Just FYI: I think Jordair committed to SLU, went to prep school, and then recommitted to SLU.

Yeah, it's definitely not unheard of- just lessens our chances. A lot changes in a year.

cgeldmacher, I take transfers on a case-by-case basis. They didn't pan out for Mizzou this year the way they'd hope, but they also got Wichita State to the Final Four.

If Santil goes to prep school, I wouldn't count on us being his favorite this time next year- if he doesn't sign in the fall first. Seems like a lot of guys who go to prep school have a totally different list in their fifth year than in their senior year. Plus, he might only be going that route because we're not as serious about him anymore. But if we could land him next season, that spot could go to another target this season and help our class breakdown. If these last two spots go to incoming freshmen, we'd be looking at potential back-to-back 5-man classes:

2013-2014

That makes Yacoubou, Djambo, and Knight attractive - they'd all be in the same class with McBroom upon Yacoubou's return to the floor in 2014-2015 - although I still have other concerns about Knight.

This is why I'd like to see the Bills get Djambo and Yacoubou. Djambo the top choice being a big and slotting into the McBroom class and Yacoubou gets the nod over the other guards because he seems to be more talented and fits into that class as well.

I really like having the classes balanced. That way you avoid a big drop off when a bunch of guys graduate. Also, it seems like it would be difficult to recruit the year following a big class because some recruits would wonder where any playing time is going to come from until their senior year. Finally, as we saw with the 8 man class RM put together his 1st year, it is very rare to keep a bigger class together for 4 years because kids who don't end up getting playing time get frustrated and leave.

I don't think SLU should settle for less talented players just to even out the classes, but in this case it seems to work perfectly as what looks like the 2 most talented players slot into the smallest class.

Yacoubou not being a point guard doesn't worry me too much because we still have 3 (JJ, MM, & AB) for next year. As long as we get a good PG for 2014 we're fine.

2013-2014

No, Djambo or Knight would be in the same class as Glaze and Manning (aren't they juco sophs?), but Yacoubou would be in McBroom's class (because he would sit out a year).

Yeah, it's definitely not unheard of- just lessens our chances. A lot changes in a year.

Well, Tommie Liddell definitely did, but I'm not aware of a committment from Jett after high school (but it could be that I just missed it, as I'm not all that interested in recruiting until a recruit commits or signs.

No, Djambo or Knight would be in the same class as Glaze and Manning (aren't they juco sophs?), but Yacoubou would be in McBroom's class (because he would sit out a year).

McBroom and Yacoubou could be a solid pairing in the back court and it would be nice to get another player in that class.

I think you are right. The point about balancing classes is still valid, but having 3 bigs in the Glaze/Manning class wouldn't be ideal. I still like Djambo though.

EDIT: I'm wrong, these are old. Both sophomores.

https://www.njcaa.org/colleges_college_player.cfm?sid=4&collegeid=1687&category=Roster&slid=2&teamid=123555&athleteid=349917

https://njcaa.org/colleges_college_player.cfm?sid=4&collegeid=1475&category=Roster&slid=2&teamid=118756&athleteid=353146

Agreed, but what about the following season? We're awfully thin at guard when Barnett, Jett, and McCall graduate. That isn't to say we'll have plenty of prospects in the class of 2014, but just a thought.

I'm hoping we're able to land Djambo, and then whoever else we get will almost certainly be a guard. That alleviates concerns for 2014-2015, as one guard would have a year of SLU practice under his belt before having to contribute major minutes.

If we don't land Djambo, I don't know if there's another big in the pipeline for this season. Signing two guards wouldn't be terrible but we'd deifnitely need to get some help in the next class.

well go get some of the heralded now high school juniors. we need inside help now to assist shaft get rebounds and defend.

I'd seen those, but I think they're outdated. They're referring to the 2011-12 season. It's better to look at the school's website.

I'd seen those, but I think they're outdated. They're referring to the 2011-12 season. It's better to look at the school's website.

I didn't think to do that. You'd think Google would pick up the latest player profile cards instead of last year's first. Those NJCAA team websites are horrible.

I have no idea who AJ Riley is, but if he is anything like Jordair, our staff needs to get in contact with this kid ASAP.

Tweet from Eric Bossi...

Eric Bossi @ebosshoops 2h

I remember seeing Jordair Jett of SLU in spring of his senior year. Watching A.J. Riley over the weekend, saw a lot of similar traits.

AJ Riley - 6'3 180, Peoria Notre Dame, next year's class. Offers from UNCG, Creighton and pretty much all of the Valley schools. Link below:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/160449/aj-riley

He is headed to a prep school in NW Indiana, basically a bball factory, he was academincally ineligable for the playoffs according to this article, no mention of the Billikens.

http://www.pjstar.com/news/x866119722/Manual-guard-Riley-plans-transfer-to-prep-school

As a footnote, does it seem like our recruiting geography has expanded (lots of east and west coast HS kids seem to take notice of that #12 ranking!)

I have no idea who AJ Riley is, but if he is anything like Jordair, our staff needs to get in contact with this kid ASAP.

i'm not surprised that you're confused. apparently the kid is a shapeshifter. listed anywhere from 6'1" 165 lbs to 6'3" 210 lbs. by that token i'm 6'2" 175 lbs to 6'8" 240 lbs.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/a-j-riley

AJ is nowhere near the body type of Jordair.

AJ went to La Lumiere Prep this year from Peoria Manual, but transferred back to Peoria Notre Dame because of home sickness. He went to PND but was not eligible all year because of the transfer rules. Kid got some terrible advice. I'm 99% sure his Bradley offer is no longer there, and a lot of his other offers dried up because of this. He is a borderline D1 guy IMO.

i'm not surprised that you're confused. apparently the kid is a shapeshifter. listed anywhere from 6'1" 165 lbs to 6'3" 210 lbs. by that token i'm 6'2" 175 lbs to 6'8" 240 lbs.

The only kind of shapeshifter I want is the type who can shift from HUMAN to WOLF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l61LjTwME7w