Guy Phillips

majerus mojo

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely, SLU has a communications major that was a high school announcer and could work as an intern-Rev Larry they could do it as part of their work study to pay back scholarships; at least they could get the players names right.

Yeah, he's my dad. With every post you further secure your spot.

i know mike owens. and i know alumni fan. alumni, you are no son of mike owens (that mike is aware of anyway)

Mike Owens is superior to Guy, everyone knows it. One poster keeps finessing and spinning this and backdoor supporting Guy, it is just part of the experience, blah, blah.

NOPE.

Must have an agenda or be a friend or a friend of a friend.

No offense to Mike, whom I appreciated in the past, but couldn't we find someone with a better voice. I'd take the guy who filled in for Guy during the bragging rights game in a heartbeat.....

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="billiken_roy" data-cid="343598" data-time="1361198420"><p>

i know mike owens. and i know alumni fan. alumni, you are no son of mike owens (that mike is aware of anyway)</p></blockquote>

I was making a joke. Actually, what I was saying was that I was pretending to be Guy Phillips son (not Mike Owens) and that is why I was supposedly defending him according to MB.

Seriously, I can see the point that AlumniFan is trying to make. He isn't defending Guy. He isn't saying he is any good at his job. Mostly, he is just saying that whether or not it is Guy or someone else doing the PA, it doesn't make a lick of difference to his experience watching the game. As this is the way he looks at it, he just doesn't understand why there are many of us on this board that constantly point out Guy's incompetence at his job. From his point of view, it can seem petty or perhaps obsessive.

Of course, this is a message board. And starting a thread about Guy Phillips is always good way to get an easy discussion going. The funny thing is that Guy is so universally hated on this board, that even AlumniFan pointing out that he doesn't care about Guy comes across as defending the man. Heck, one poster even claimed he must have an agenda with his posts. (Of course, one should consider the source...)

Seriously, I can see the point that AlumniFan is trying to make. He isn't defending Guy. He isn't saying he is any good at his job. Mostly, he is just saying that whether or not it is Guy or someone else doing the PA, it doesn't make a lick of difference to his experience watching the game. As this is the way he looks at it, he just doesn't understand why there are many of us on this board that constantly point out Guy's incompetence at his job. From his point of view, it can seem petty or perhaps obsessive.

Of course, this is a message board. And starting a thread about Guy Phillips is always good way to get an easy discussion going. The funny thing is that Guy is so universally hated on this board, that even AlumniFan pointing out that he doesn't care about Guy comes across as defending the man. Heck, one poster even claimed he must have an agenda with his posts. (Of course, one should consider the source...)

Completely fair, reasonable assessment.

If someone had told me back in the late 1990s when I started going to games regularly that Guy Phillips would still be the PA guy in 2013, my grade school self would have called that person an idiot. Because he sucked then and he still does and there's no reason a person that sucky at their job should be able to keep it for that long.

Also, I've read some people say that they've never seen or heard anyone outside of this board complain about him. Absolutely false. I've heard lots of non-posters/readers point out his incompetence, including a lot of visiting fans. I go to a lot of Xavier games now, and their PA guy is so good you don't even notice him. It's fantastic. I don't get distracted during games asking things like, "Wait, did he just say 'Dwight?'" or "Is it just me, or are you hearing the word 'correction' a lot?" or "Does he need to give play-by-play of the 10-year-old doing the promotional layup game?"

Imagine being a famed symphony conductor, leading one of the best orchestras in the country with one tuba player who can't hit a mid-range note for his instrument. It's FREAKING FRUSTRATING even if most of the audience doesn't notice........

Completely fair, reasonable assessment.

If someone had told me back in the late 1990s when I started going to games regularly that Guy Phillips would still be the PA guy in 2013, my grade school self would have called that person an idiot. Because he sucked then and he still does and there's no reason a person that sucky at their job should be able to keep it for that long.

Also, I've read some people say that they've never seen or heard anyone outside of this board complain about him. Absolutely false. I've heard lots of non-posters/readers point out his incompetence, including a lot of visiting fans. I go to a lot of Xavier games now, and their PA guy is so good you don't even notice him. It's fantastic. I don't get distracted during games asking things like, "Wait, did he just say 'Dwight?'" or "Is it just me, or are you hearing the word 'correction' a lot?" or "Does he need to give play-by-play of the 10-year-old doing the promotional layup game?"

Does he need to make fun of said 10 year old?

Remember when he used to say Larry SSSSSSSSSSSSSimmons!

Why?? It wasnt funny. It wasnt clever. It was just stupid as hell!!!

He's a sad old disc jockey with very little basketball knowledge. Anyone on this board could do a better job.

That was the worst. But supposedly Simmons himself liked it. I'll never forget one time when he held the S for what felt like 30 seconds, the old lady who sat by us screamed, "YOU SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUCK!" She got some laughs and applause for that one. She's not a reader or contributor here, either.

Remember when he used to say Larry SSSSSSSSSSSSSimmons!

Why?? It wasnt funny. It wasnt clever. It was just stupid as hell!!!

He's a sad old disc jockey with very little basketball knowledge. Anyone on this board could do a better job.

Fortunately, Larry did not get much PT.

This is actually a very good thread. The fact that about the only thing we can find to fight about/complain about is Guy Phillips, suggests that the program is really headed in the right direction. No one even takes the bait on the MVC vs A10 argument anymore. I'd say that is a pretty good sign that we are enjoying the benefits of a winning program.

This is actually a very good thread. The fact that about the only thing we can find to fight about/complain about is Guy Phillips, suggests that the program is really headed in the right direction. No one even takes the bait on the MVC vs A10 argument anymore. I'd say that is a pretty good sign that we are enjoying the benefits of a winning program.

Prior to the coming Big East raid, no one in their right mind would call the current A10 inferior to the Valley. Sadie Thompson and the MVC trolls are too ashamed to show. The MU trolls are similiarly gone. All are signs of a surging program. Guy is not......

To be fair, we were also complaining about guy when we weren't winning. I'm sure there are multiple "Guy Phillips Sucks" threads from 2004-2005.

But yeah, it's great that this is as contentious as it's gotten in a while. Since the Rhode Island loss, probably.

I don't ever recall hearing Guy speak at a game. Serioulsy, I just don't hear the announcer. I'm sure I have though as I remember the SSSSSSSSimmons calls, but at the end of the game, I couldn't tell you one thing he said. It may be because I just tune it out or as those who have sat around me could attest ... how the fouck could I hear anything over my own non stop loud mouth.

Just spend the entire game yelling as loud as you can and you'll never hear Gus. It works, try it.

I don't ever recall hearing Guy speak at a game. Serioulsy, I just don't hear the announcer. I'm sure I have though as I remember the SSSSSSSSimmons calls, but at the end of the game, I couldn't tell you one thing he said. It may be because I just tune it out or as those who have sat around me could attest ... how the fouck could I hear anything over my own non stop loud mouth.

Just spend the entire game yelling as loud as you can and you'll never hear Gus. It works, try it.

BLOW THE WHISTLE!

That was the worst. But supposedly Simmons himself liked it. I'll never forget one time when he held the S for what felt like 30 seconds, the old lady who sat by us screamed, "YOU SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUCK!" She got some laughs and applause for that one. She's not a reader or contributor here, either.

I remember this. We must have sat in the same section.

I thought about it and I suspect a local media sh1t stirrer (JoeSportsFan, the RFT) would run with a story about Guy Phillips repeatedly getting star players names wrong if there was clear cut documented evidence of Guy's PA malpractice.

I'm not suggesting anyone take their attention away from the actual game, but if someone were to capture (even if just audio) all of the Dwight announcements, plus anything else that's egregious, and post it to this thread, it might get some traction....

I thought about it and I suspect a local media sh1t stirrer (JoeSportsFan, the RFT) would run with a story about Guy Phillips repeatedly getting star players names wrong if there was clear cut documented evidence of Guy's PA malpractice.

I'm not suggesting anyone take their attention away from the actual game, but if someone were to capture (even if just audio) all of the Dwight announcements, plus anything else that's egregious, and post it to this thread, it might get some traction....

awfulannouncing.com would be my go-to for Guy.