Bills by 2 over Butler

The Wiz

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow didnt realize how short their squad goes, after their starting five they really only use 2 kids. both only avg 2.5 and 3.6

another bench guy is Stigall who I remember playing a lot more alst year and being able to shoot it well.

You remember wrong. Stigall shot horribly last year and was a huge reason why Valpo beat them 3 times and why the Bulldogs lost so many games last year. They are a totally different team with Clarke and Dunham. I was fooled by this because I didn't think any team as bad as Butler was last year could turn it around like they have this year. Besides Clarke and Dunham the improved play of Smith and Jones (yes, I said it) have made a big difference too.

Glad to see this game is going to be a sellout. It can only help us.

If you think this will phase Butler in any way in that size facility (6,000 +) you are kidding yourself. They specialize in playing in those type of gyms in front of huge crowds. It's in Brad Stevens' DNA.

Also watch out for posts from Irish Dawg and staxawax this week. They are definitely Bullsh!tdogs!

Haha, you guys are awesome. Any of you coming back to Hinkle for the return game?

The packed environment won't be anything new for Butler, but I don't think it'll have any impact positively or negatively on them. I do think it'll help SLU's guys get more focused on their gameplan and play with a great deal of energy. If they were younger or hadn't experienced success, then I might say otherwise, but this is a group that knows what it's like to win.

I saw a tweet from one of the Butler athletic department people a few weeks ago that said the SLU game would be a sell-out. Then it went on to say that it was one of the first weeknight sellouts for Butler in quite a while. I guess I was a little surprised by that. I mean, coming off back to back national title games I would think you would sell out every game. Is that not the case?

I'll be at Hinkle with a group. One of my buddies who will be there is nuts. Loudest guy I know, not afraid of anything. I've seen him pick fights with bigger guys in bigger groups. Once challenged the Iowa wrestling team while liquored up at Laclede's during the NCAA Wrestling Tournament weekend. He's also not backed off from a girl who picked a fight with him. Whole spectrum.

We should introduce him to A-Bomb. They would be fast friends.

Glad to see this game is going to be a sellout. It can only help us.

If you think this will phase Butler in any way in that size facility (6,000 +) you are kidding yourself. They specialize in playing in those type of gyms in front of huge crowds. It's in Brad Stevens' DNA.

Also watch out for posts from Irish Dawg and staxawax this week. They are definitely Bullsh!tdogs!

Haha, you guys are awesome. Any of you coming back to Hinkle for the return game?

The packed environment won't be anything new for Butler, but I don't think it'll have any impact positively or negatively on them. I do think it'll help SLU's guys get more focused on their gameplan and play with a great deal of energy. If they were younger or hadn't experienced success, then I might say otherwise, but this is a group that knows what it's like to win.

I saw a tweet from one of the Butler athletic department people a few weeks ago that said the SLU game would be a sell-out. Then it went on to say that it was one of the first weeknight sellouts for Butler in quite a while. I guess I was a little surprised by that. I mean, coming off back to back national title games I would think you would sell out every game. Is that not the case?

my daughter who goes to college in indiana was planning to meet a high school friend in pharmacy school at butler and attend the billiken game there. no tickets available.

Definitely not in years past. I'm not exactly sure how to pinpoint it, but it seems as though the main issue with attendance was the Horizon League itself and the fact that the majority of the schools simply didn't interest the casual fans. Attendance was usually right around the upper 6,000 to lower 7,000 on average for the seasons right around the F4 runs. They might get one or two sellouts a year, and they were usually because of the opponent coming in and their fans buying up a good chunk of tickets.

I do think the season they are having so far has something to do with it, but the A-10 has helped provide Butler with a big attendance boost this year (I believe they should average above 8,000 this season) because people know more about the teams that are coming in. Already have 5 sellouts for this year. I'm not sure when the last time Butler could say that was.

Stevens also stated yesterday during their media availability that he thought Crews was doing a good job and that he deserved to be the full-time coach for the Billikens.

Definitely not in years past. I'm not exactly sure how to pinpoint it, but it seems as though the main issue with attendance was the Horizon League itself and the fact that the majority of the schools simply didn't interest the casual fans. Attendance was usually right around the upper 6,000 to lower 7,000 on average for the seasons right around the F4 runs. They might get one or two sellouts a year, and they were usually because of the opponent coming in and their fans buying up a good chunk of tickets.

I do think the season they are having so far has something to do with it, but the A-10 has helped provide Butler with a big attendance boost this year (I believe they should average above 8,000 this season) because people know more about the teams that are coming in. Already have 5 sellouts for this year. I'm not sure when the last time Butler could say that was.

Stevens also stated yesterday during their media availability that he thought Crews was doing a good job and that he deserved to be the full-time coach for the Billikens.

Hell, I'd say that too if I was Stevens. You always want the opposing teams to have a coach who is not anywhere near as good as you are.

Hell, I'd say that too if I was Stevens. You always want the opposing teams to have a coach who is not anywhere near as good as you are.

Yep. Exactly what I was thinking.

stevens is speaking in code. translated, "keep that sweet saint louis university job open for me so the good doctor can deliver me as the next billiken head coach" ;)

a guy can dream cant he?

How did Chaifetz lose 4,600 seats?

It was phased...

Thanks. We here at SLU can understand attendance issues as outside of Dayton, Xavier and to a lesser extent Temple and St. Joes, the teams in the A-10 don't excite most "average" fans in St. Louis. It is what it is and hopefully in a year or two neither of us will have to deal with this issue again.

This is an unusual game tonight. Both teams have a chance to improve their letter grade with a win....The Bills from B+ to A-....Butler from A- to A. As a comparison, none of the 5 teams that won in the A-10 last night was able to move their grade up. There are enough numbers accumulated at this point of the season where it is unusal for 1 team to move much less for both teams to have a chance to improve.

For the Bills an A- would mean about a 70% chance for a Dance bid (providing they hold on to the A- for the rest of the season) For Butler an A is pretty much a lock for a bid (again provided they hold the A) So the importance of this game is positioning.... Get a win to put yourself in a bid position....then maintain. A loss for SLU would not be the end of the world but would mean they would still have to climb back up the ladder again.....which there is time to do. Let's get this win tonight.

Since SLU is a 2-point favorite, then a victory should not warrant students going onto the court if SLU is victorious, correct?

WRONG. That court is getting stormed. Unranked vs top 10 team. If they were 11 then no storm