Why is Remekun in the dog house?

pooch1918

Remekun only logged 3 minutes against Bonnies. Glaze gets second straight start. What gives?

Watched his play in this game. You can see him making mistakes, out of possition on rebounds and getting lost on defense.Looked like his old self when he use to get that deer in the headlights look.

JMHO

In the last two games, Glaze has averaged 8.5 ppg and 7.0 rpg. Granted, it was against Duquesne and Bonaventure but Remekun's season averages are below both at 6.5 ppg and 3.3 rpg. If it works, go for it.

Let's see what Grandy does Thursday night. Jones, Marshall and Smith are about the best front line in the league with a toss-up edge over Aiken, Roberts and Kanacevic at St. Joe's.

I'm not sold on GG, yet. However, the first half of ball we played yesterday was close to the best half we have played all seasons. Without the 6 turnovers in the first 5 minutes, I would call it our best.

I also believe CR has to get more than 3 minutes. GG is still a bit of a mess on offense and defense.

GG is still a bit of a mess on offense and defense.

At least he's good on special teams!

It's hard to argue with the box scores GG has put up but I agree with many that with extended minutes at this point he'll be exposed. He is still figuring it out and once teams scout tape of him they'll know to allow the open jump shot and that he can be beat on defense by running a few plays at him.

Also agree with Skip that he needs to go up strong with the ball. He shoots layups like I would just hoping to not get blocked. A guy of his size needs to take it strong.

GG is still a bit of a mess on offense and defense.

At least he's good on special teams!

It's hard to argue with the box scores GG has put up but I agree with many that with extended minutes at this point he'll be exposed. He is still figuring it out and once teams scout tape of him they'll know to allow the open jump shot and that he can be beat on defense by running a few plays at him.

Also agree with Skip that he needs to go up strong with the ball. He shoots layups like I would just hoping to not get blocked. A guy of his size needs to take it strong.

Almost the same deal with his free throws. He really has more of a flip than a shot. He needs to follow through, slow the ball down and extend the fingers.

You can say CR needs to get more than 3 minutes for us to win but the problem is when he is in there he has not been producing as of late. We have to worry about this year and our future not about senior who has struggled his entire time here. The more time GG plays this year the better for us long term so if he can out produce or even tie CR l OK with going with GG.

We need to get more than three minutes out Corey because against better teams GG will be in foul trouble quickly.

Glaze doesn't remind me anything of Conklin. Conklin understood the basics of basketball before he arrived here. He was hampered his sophmore year by injuries. They are totally different types of players. That said, I do wonder if Glaze's shot is being impacted by his shoulder.

CR has struggled what, like 2-3 games? I think he offers us more than GG. And can we even it call it struggling if he only played 3 min?
I think this whole conversation is kind of silly. As long as Grandy puts up the numbers he has in the last 2 games he will play. If he doesn't,produce we will see Corey again.

Remekun has had some big rebounding games but has also really struggled to rebound the ball at times. I think that's whats hurting him right now. Cody's rebounding has improved and Rob's has somewhat too, but Cory needs to grab rebounds while he's in there and he hasn't. I think he's only averaging a little over 3 a game.

I think it all has to do with matchups. This was a better game to get Manning in because we needed a counterpart to Ndoye in the middle for the Bonnies. I am very satisfied with the minutes our players are getting; we have ten guys who are ready to play a big role in any game when they are needed. I don't believe that Cory is in the doghouse at all.

-it looked yesterday like Crews lit into Cory after Cory did not play a screen correctly that left the lane open for a layup, he wasn't seen after that

-I agree we will need CR at some point, perhaps very soon

Maybe Crews does give a rip after all. GREAT (as long as he doesn't go all Bobby Knight or Evil Jim Crews on us)

The really good news is that with ten deep, we have options. Not everyone is going to have their A game every night. If Rob is hitting it, John is out. In the event of a Ndoye clone is in there, John gets more time and gives you five more fouls. Neither Loe nor Manning are likely good bets for VCU and La Salle. Grandy and Cory are interchangable in my opinion. Neither is going to carry the day for you night in or night out. Play the hot hand. The idea of playing a sophomore more than a senior for development purposes is not a novel idea. These two positions are our apparent role player positions. We have an option of two at each.

The real key is 1 through 3. Mitchell, McCall, Jett, Ellis, Evans and even Barnett become the real keys of this team and again, that plays to our perceived strength being outside shooting. We seem to have sucked at it all year -- okay, maybe sucked is too strong a word ---- but I expected more. I expected more consistency from, Mitchell, Ellis, McCall and even Barnett. That has yet to happen. If it does -- we will be lights out.

-it looked yesterday like Crews lit into Cory after Cory did not play a screen correctly that left the lane open for a layup, he wasn't seen after that

-I agree we will need CR at some point, perhaps very soon

Maybe Crews does give a rip after all.

That always seemed worry me also. In the beginning he never would call time out gave me the feeling he just wanted to get this over with, get in the car and go home. As far practices went always speculated he probably put in the bare minimum. As far recruiting goes, I am happy with what I read about Crawford but I liked have seen a few more this fall signing period since we came off a NCAA appearance year.

I always had in the back of my mind that Rickma, on his death bed, made Crews promise to coach the team and Crews, caught up in the emotion of the moment, said yes. Then getting home said to himself and probably his wife, OMG, what did I do.

Actually I am happy to see him rip into Cory. Maybe shows he cares. This and last years team is probably the most cohesive and talented team since the Highmark/Clags years. Hope it does not go to waste and he wants to win this and get us another NCAA bid. With the loss of our seniors, we better see more improvement in Grandy/Manning/Loe, or next year maybe a long year.

-Taj, not having looked at the stats but I too thought our outside shooting as a team would be better this year and it doesn't seem like it has been

-perhaps the stats tell a different story than my eyes

They're roughly the same as last year (-1%), so you're right.

The biggest difference between this year and last year is our opposition's 3 pt %. I don't know if that's bad luck, bad defense, or both, but I feel like it's fixable.