Ticket prices

BeBrave

Roy ... glad to know the Bills are doing so well that they don't need to sell those other 3,000 seats. Only season ticket holders are real fans? Are there any other real fan requirements?

It's a simple fact that the Bills average about 3,000 empty seats per game. To assume the pricing structure that has you paying $147 through the schools website for 4 upper level corner tickets or $189 for 4 mid court upper level tickets has nothing to do with it is absurd.

The $12 seats in the end are a good value. They ought to make the $32 seats equal to the $20 and the $40 seats $32 then you'd have $12, $20, and $32 around the upper bowl. Also $4.75 per seat fee seems high also. Maybe top it off at a $10 fee.

If SLU was selling out, it'd be silly to complain, but they aren't. Not even close. Now we get a guy who is a college basketball fan who was disapointed with his seats for the price he paid and we have a poster basically telling him shut up and pay the price or stay away. When I first came here in '90, I wasn't a Billiken fan, I was an OU fan and a college basketball fan. Yet within 3 years I had season tickets

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know which is better. I'm saying because I'm invested in Bradley, I'd be more willing to spend $32 for an upper bowl corner seat. I wouldn't spend $32 to see Bradley play Eastern Illinois, Missouri State, SIU-C (let alone E), but I'd be willing to pony up that money for Creighton, Illinois State, Wichita State, Michigan, etc.

And I'm not saying there aren't cheap seats to be had. Only that I find it ludicrous to pay $32 for upper bowl corner seats. Considering I had never been to a SLU hoops game before last week, I wrongly assumed a $32 ticket would be in the lower bowl. From what appears to be a relatively large board, very few seem to disagree with me.

btw, You people have a problem changing the words people use. I say what I mean, and I mean what I say.

I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful, 100 percent......I love Dr. Suess, he's a genius.

Just went on to buy tickets at Dayton and X . Both places that have much better attendance by total and by % of seats filled.

At Dayton I could sit in the upper half of the upper deck center court for $100.00 with fees

At X who last year had 99% of their seats filled I could sit in the corner upper deck for $140. with fees.

Both of those are cheaper, (Dayton almost $12 per ticket cheaper) than SLU. X is only a couple of bucks per ticket cheaper, but they are 99% sold out. SLU is around 75% sold out.

I also looked at Bradley and theirs aren't even in the ballpark of SLU, though I think they are a fair comparison. In actuality X and Dayton also aren't equal comparison's as they don't have 25% of their seats left vacant on a normal basis.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BeBrave" data-cid="334323" data-time="1357162336"><p>

You get that season-ticket-holder-real-fan mindset everywhere, skip.</p></blockquote>

Have you called them yet?

I submitted my complaint through LivingSocial ... since I know you're deeply concerned.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BeBrave" data-cid="334332" data-time="1357165192"><p>

<br />

I submitted my complaint through LivingSocial ... since I know you're deeply concerned.</p></blockquote>

The Fuok does that do? If you really give a flying Fuok and are interested in being helpful I really urge you to email or call SLU.

Just went on to buy tickets at Dayton and X . Both places that have much better attendance by total and by % of seats filled.

At Dayton I could sit in the upper half of the upper deck center court for $100.00 with fees

At X who last year had 99% of their seats filled I could sit in the corner upper deck for $140. with fees.

Both of those are cheaper, (Dayton almost $12 per ticket cheaper) than SLU. X is only a couple of bucks per ticket cheaper, but they are 99% sold out. SLU is around 75% sold out.

I also looked at Bradley and theirs aren't even in the ballpark of SLU, though I think they are a fair comparison. In actuality X and Dayton also aren't equal comparison's as they don't have 25% of their seats left vacant on a normal basis.

Skip, if we were selling out the $10 and $12 tickets I could see your point but we aren't (except for maybe the RI game). I can't believe there are all that many people that are in a world where the most they will pay is $12 a ticket but they require it to be center court or near center court. If people want the cheap ticket they should be willing to sit in the end-zone. Not to mention that just about anybody that attends these games knows you can buy the cheap ticket and move down to better, open seats if you desire.

Thus, I don't believe that offering some tickets at $32 and others as low as $12 is meaningfully hurting attendance. Rather, I believe the problem is there simply aren't enough people willing to come out for blood donor games or NYE games no matter what the price. I offered FREE tickets to 150 co-workers on Monday and only 1 accepted. There inlies the problem.

Skip, if we were selling out the $10 and $12 tickets I could see your point but we aren't (except for maybe the RI game). I can't believe there are all that many people that are in a world where the most they will pay is $12 a ticket but they require it to be center court or near center court. If people want the cheap ticket they should be willing to sit in the end-zone. Not to mention that just about anybody that attends these games knows you can buy the cheap ticket and move down to better, open seats if you desire.

Thus, I don't believe that offering some tickets at $32 and others as low as $12 is meaningfully hurting attendance. Rather, I believe the problem is there simply aren't enough people willing to come out for blood donor games or NYE games no matter what the price. I offered FREE tickets to 150 co-workers on Monday and only 1 accepted. There inlies the problem.

At the far end of town where the grickle grass grows, and the wind smells slow and sour when it blows, and no birds ever sing, excepting old crows, is the street of the unfilled Chaifetz..

I don't know which is better. I'm saying because I'm invested in Bradley, I'd be more willing to spend $32 for an upper bowl corner seat. I wouldn't spend $32 to see Bradley play Eastern Illinois, Missouri State, SIU-C (let alone E), but I'd be willing to pony up that money for Creighton, Illinois State, Wichita State, Michigan, etc.

And I'm not saying there aren't cheap seats to be had. Only that I find it ludicrous to pay $32 for upper bowl corner seats. Considering I had never been to a SLU hoops game before last week, I wrongly assumed a $32 ticket would be in the lower bowl. From what appears to be a relatively large board, very few seem to disagree with me.

btw, You people have a problem changing the words people use. I say what I mean, and I mean what I say.

What do you mean, 'you people'?!?! ;)

So, because I'm a Bradley fan, you're not interested in my money to buy a seat at Chaifetz for a men's basketball game and cheer for the Billikens? FWIW, I attended a SLU soccer game a few years ago too. Do you have to be a Billikens fan to go to a Bills game and want more info on the team? To visit the message board?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.

While I will admit I am not in expert in 3rd party ticket brokers I think a feasible solution would be for SLU to create a site where season ticket holders can sell their seats or partner with StubHub. Clearly it's unreasonable to expect to get face value but something is better than nothing and with a little prompting and education by the AD perhaps people would see the benefit of butts in their seats if they can't be there. It's a win win win as SLU gets a royalty, ticket holder gets something for an unused ticket and a deserving fan gets to see the game. Just a thought...admittedly not a perfect solution.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Box and Won" data-cid="334363" data-time="1357174348"><p>

Hey, here's a guy who went to a school other than SLU and is willing to adopt the Bills as his second favorite team and even buy a ticket for a game every once in a while. Let's crap all over him!</p></blockquote>

Yes the prices are high. What is he expecting to accomplish by whining to us? Like I said if he really wants to help he should call/email the AD, not loving fuoking social.

I can't believe some of you are defending the ticket prices, and worst of all bagging on BeBrave for calling it out.

I am a huge fan of SLU basketball and there is no way in hell I would pay $40 for a ticket in the upper bowl to watch 90% of the teams we play. You expect an average family of 4 to spend $100-$200 on 4 pairs of tickets in the upper bowl to watch Savannah State? What a crock. SLU needs to get its together.

I agreed with the OP on page one a few days ago. I had no idea that those sideline and corner seats upstairs cost so much for individual games. I was glad he pointed it out. I realize the building needs to be paid for and basketball is the only moneymaker for the athletic department but I can see why we have trouble getting butts in the seats. It's not like we've been watching Duke or Kansas for all these years.

I know the season pricing was adjusted after the first year in the building. Originally every seat was 450 bucks (with or without the additional lug) but then they made the upper ends and corners more affordable. So adjustments have been made and maybe some more need to be.

And by the way, Metrotix or whomever it is, that 4.50 PER SEAT charge on online sales is effing ridiculous. They're getting as bad as TicketBastard.

Yes the prices are high. What is he expecting to accomplish by whining to us? Like I said if he really wants to help he should call/email the AD, not loving fuoking social.

You are a great passionate Billiken fan. However, I totally disagree with your approach on this one. Save your antagonism for the opposing teams and coaches during the games and cut newbies to the board some slack.

I understand you don't like outsiders coming on the board and complaining about the same issues we've heard over and over. However, I appreciate getting an outsiders perspective on ticket prices and attendance issues. Does this guy have much to complain about? I don't think so, he only paid 1/2 price for the tickets through the Living Social deal. $16 per ticket for non-corner or end upper bowl is pretty good IMO. If ticket prices were cut in half, I think most games would sell out (primarily from increased season ticket sales). However, he does have a point that the regular prices are too high. You are correct in pointing out that complaining on this board is not the optimal solution, nor is complaining to Living Social. However, using cuss words and calling the guy out in a condescending tone is not the best way to let him know that. Providing the best people at SLU to contact regarding ticket prices was good, maybe provide email addresses and/or phone numbers as well. If this guy is somewhat interested in SLU hoops, I think we should help to nurture that interest rather than piss him off (even if he is also a Bradley fan).

Bradley guy,

Using a Bradley themed user name and avatar is not the best way to make fans on this board (I could care less as long as you post meaningful things). Neither is only posting negative things about SLU. I liked your early posts you provided some great info comparing SLU and Bradley fan bases & ticket pricing. Later when you just complain about prices again it starts to get annoying. You seem knowledgeable about college basketball. Share some of that knowledge rather than just complain. Maybe now that you know about the pricing, you can buy some $12 tickets and just move down if you decide to go to future games (maybe get there early and enjoy some $2 beers to help you forget about the price of tickets). I hope you do and you post some good insights on the board.

So, because I'm a Bradley fan, you're not interested in my money to buy a seat at Chaifetz for a men's basketball game and cheer for the Billikens? FWIW, I attended a SLU soccer game a few years ago too. Do you have to be a Billikens fan to go to a Bills game and want more info on the team? To visit the message board?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.

Well done.

Am I not a real fan because I don't have season tickets?

I had a sister in law try to buy 2 tickets to a game for me for Christmas. I assumed a pair for Butler or Dayton would be under our $50 limit for 2 uppers. Whoops. It was damn near over for just 1. I'm in Peoria so I get to 3 or 4 games a year and try to get to a road game if I can.

Someone in the AD should be drug into the street and fired for using living social to sell tickets. Daily deal sites are not marketing strategies. Figuring the usual 50/50 split, if SLU offers tickets for 12 or 16, they net $6 or $8 from it. Why not just sell the damn tickets at 10 or 12 from the first point? To fans that are more likely to buy multiple tickets and not just wait for the next "deal". Put up a damn billboard that says tickets are $12 and you're still money ahead by handling the transaction yourself.

The marketing of the basketball team is pitiful. It has been since at least 2002. Someday maybe that will change. This could still be a great season to do it with the NHL and strong team in the court.