Majerus will not return to SLU

slufan13

I don't think anyone really thought he would but...

@BWeixScout

Per @Frank_Cusumano, Rick Majerus will not return to #SLU.

I've heard some really bad rumors about him this weekend. I hope they're just rumors I've heard it from multiple people.

GOTDAMMIT. thanks for everything, rick. you were the best.

I don't think anyone really thought he would but...

@BWeixScout

Per @Frank_Cusumano, Rick Majerus will not return to #SLU.

I've heard some really bad rumors about him this weekend. I hope they're just rumors I've heard it from multiple people.

What kind of rumors?

Thanks for everything, Rick. Hands down the best coach in my 15 years following the team. Get well. Hope to see you in the stands one day!

Just validated what many of us didn't want to say or think.

Coach's health is paramount and I hope he is able to bounce back and make a return engagement to the Fetz in the future so we can give him the proper thanks for all he did for our program.

Looking ahead, dare I say Chris May controls the future direction of SLU's program in his hands with his next hire? He CANNOT screw this up. With two open schollies (maybe three as I don't recall and LOI signed yet) next year could be really, REALLY, REAAALLLY BAD if we don't get the right person in here.

Sorry for the pessimism but as you all know it's hard work being a Billiken fan.

No he doesnt

unfortunately i agree with westy. i wish he was, as chris has done a very good job imo hiring coaches for the other sports. but this will be bigger than him to get the quality coach we are all hoping for.

SLU sent out a press release to confirm it.

Thanks for everything, Coach. I won't soon forget that weekend in Columbus.

I could not agree more. That weekend in Columbus was magical and the team played its heart our against two really talented team and got one tough win and almost upset a no 1 seed. RM was quirky and a bit odd off the court but on the court and at practice he was a one of the best I have ever seen. What a shame that his health cut short his career.

unfortunately i agree with westy. i wish he was, as chris has done a very good job imo hiring coaches for the other sports. but this will be bigger than him to get the quality coach we are all hoping for.

Fair point as I'm sure Chaifetz and other boosters will be tapped to pony up and unfortunately FB will clearly weigh in.

I hope there is already a short list. Very irresponsible if there isn't as they have known in all reality that RM wasn't returning.

Let the bring back Harriman movement commence... Best of luck to coach and our program moving forward. He goes down in my book as one of the top coaches in the NCAA and easily one of the best defensive minds in the game.

while there is no doubt that Chris Harriman did a good job in his short time at slu, there are plenty of assistant coaches across america with much better resumes, contacts and experience that i would rather take a run at first.

while there is no doubt that Chris Harriman did a good job in his short time at slu, there are plenty of assistant coaches across america with much better resumes, contacts and experience that i would rather take a run at first.

Ohh I completely agree, Harriman is a good coach, but I think we could do better or find someone cheaper (Biondinomics). But you know the board will bring up his name eventually, I think he has become one of those topics now.

I would recommend everyone read the full press release on SLUBillikens.com as it includes details on how to send Rick get well cards. Along with the interesting note that they are communicating with Rick through Jon Huntsman Sr.

Good things are coming - I can feel it.

Continued prayers to RM - it's very surreal that he is even in this position. I always felt it could happen, but then again I never thought he would be here in the first place. I thought he might hang it up in a year or so on his own terms realizing that his focus must be 100% on his health.

If I had to look for any silver lining in all of this, I think this will be a great job for some Coach. I don't see Fr. B being around much longer even if he weathers this storm. We have a great facility and I fully believe the boosters will step up again. Some Coach can come in and take over a team that has been to two straight NCAA tournaments (yes, we will make it again this year). RM laid the foundation and now an up and coming stud will come in and take us even to the next level and sustain that success for a while.

RM will return next year to be honored at a game and the place will go nuts.

It's soon going to be "Easy to Be a Billiken Fan"

Absolutely.