Santa Clara Buzz

Taj79

The term "buzz" takes me back to Unews days .... if bonowich confirms, I believe it was the pregame headline we used when our beat writer, Mike Olechowski, would preview the next opponent in his beat coverage of the men's basketball team.

Santa Clara beat Simpson (Homer,is that you?) 106 to 66 in their opener. Someone mentioned some guy named Roquemore in the Wiz' thread but he didn't do much over and above 4 assists. But 6'2" senior guard Kevin Foster scored 27 points in 24 minutes including 7-of-15 from three-point land. Third and fourth leading scorers were Marc Trasolini and Raymond Cowles III who threw in 13 and 12 each. Trasolini is listed at 6'9"and 240 while Cowles is 6'4" and 206. Second leading scorer was Robert Garrett with 14 who is 7'0" and goes 270. All are seniors except Garrett who is a sophomore.

Are they any good? Last year they were 8 and 22, finishing on a 16-game losing streak and not winning a game in the West Coast Conference. Early on, they did beat New Mexico and Nova with the Nova both wins coming on a neutral court with Nova in that CBE/Anaheim tourney. Foster average 18+ ppg but only played 18 games. Trasolini was not on the roster.

If this is a C- team as the Wiz predicts, it may not serve as a true test but with that kind of size and beef up front, Wednesday's game might serve as an interesting interior test. JJ gets Foster I guess.

Don't let last year's Santa Clara record fool you. Trasolini, SCU's best big, missed all of last season with an ACL injury. Foster, a dangerous 3 point shooting guard was suspended for a good chunk of conference play. Foster can have 20 and 30 point games. Rocquemore, the other guard, can get hot. I saw him have a big game in the CIT 2 years ago at USF's War Memorial Gym. Cowels is an athletic 3.

SCU won the CIT 2 years ago with many of these same players. I would say SCU is better than a C- team. SLU should win, but will need to play good ball.

I am planning to be in attendance Wed. night, as well as in KC next week for the CBE.

As they say at St. Mary's and USF: Buck the Froncos!

Go Billikens!

Don't let last year's Santa Clara record fool you. Trasolini, SCU's best big, missed all of last season with an ACL injury. Foster, a dangerous 3 point shooting guard was suspended for a good chunk of conference play. Foster can have 20 and 30 point games. Rocquemore, the other guard, can get hot. I saw him have a big game in the CIT 2 years ago at USF's War Memorial Gym. Cowels is an athletic 3.

SCU won the CIT 2 years ago with many of these same players. I would say SCU is better than a C- team. SLU should win, but will need to play good ball.

I am planning to be in attendance Wed. night, as well as in KC next week for the CBE.

Go Billikens!

Don't let Bay Area Billiken fool you, this game against Santa Clara will be a cakewalk. By cakewalk, I mean at least a twenty point beating.

Go Billikens!

-BAB in the house, this makes it a big game

Don't let Bay Area Billiken fool you, this game against Santa Clara will be a cakewalk. By cakewalk, I mean at least a twenty point beating.

From everything I can learn from reading and talking to folks this team is completely different and better than last years team. Their best players were either injured or suspended for much of the year. To judge their quality just look at their team from two years ago. We had better be on our game, particularly defensively.

From everything I can learn from reading and talking to folks this team is completely different and better than last years team. Their best players were either injured or suspended for much of the year. To judge their quality just look at their team from two years ago. We had better be on our game, particularly defensively.

Based on the little I know about SC, they seem to be a perimeter oriented team. That should play into our defensive strength.

That's what I thought. Interesting how we can win a game by 17, but drop 8 spots. Shows me how stupid these early season polls really can be.

I suppose an argument could be made that some of the previous voting was done when Kwamain was healthy or voters THOUGHT he was healthy. I suspect the 6 votes for Santa Clara are one voter putting them 19th.

It is stupid though.

That's what I thought. Interesting how we can win a game by 17, but drop 8 spots. Shows me how stupid these early season polls really can be.

Agreed. We all learned last week that polls are flawed. Until the voters turn out and / or the teams play eachother, it is all just a guess. I expect our Billikens in the top 25 one month from now.

Regards,

Henry

Agreed. We all learned last week that polls are flawed. Until the voters turn out and / or the teams play eachother, it is all just a guess. I expect our Billikens in the top 25 one month from now.

Regards,

Henry

Your comment sounds just like some other weido that posts on this Board. Hmmm.

I posted a link to my preview piece for the Santa Clara game on a new thread.

If you look at the boxscore from SC's win over Simpson, you'll see that SC's bench played as many minutes, if not more in some cases, than the starters. So their numbers are inflated.

Santa Clara is not a deep team. They have a couple of good guards and a decent low post forward. That's it. SLU will be able to control every phase of this game. This will be a good tune-up for the real tests in Kansas City next week.

Not sure why there is a buzz on SC...SC beat NAIA Simpson...well someone already made the Homer joke...so let's just say Rockhurst as well as a few StL high schools would crush Simpson . No big deal beating Simpson.

And for those still wringing their hands about SC....let's look at their earlier game against a so-so Div II Hawaii Pacific. SC won in the final seconds by 1 point. HP turned the ball over 20 times and came within a few seconds of winning. Can you imagine if Rockhurst had turned the ball over 20 times against us and we only won by 1.

Is SC a horrible team? No....they are slightly below average. Then why are we favored by 18....because we are an A team. Even if the numbers are off because there are not enough data points, this game still should go in the win column.

Save the hand wringing for next week....then there will be something to wring about.

To clarify, I am not hand-wringing. I think I think it could be interesting. I doubt Garrett will be able to follow Loe on the perimter and if he does, great for the JJ drives. If they place Garrett on Remekun, a more traditional interior player, can Trasolini stay with Loe? On a repaired ACL?

Six votes? For beating Hawaii Pacific and Homer Simpson? For real?

Wiz, does your system take into account returning players from their team 2 years ago? On the surface, Santa Clara doesn't look like much, but they sort of have a situation similar to our team last year. Their best player was suspended for the final 12 games of last season and is back, while another of their better players from two years ago is returning after a medical redshirt season.

I'm not saying we shouldn't win by double-digits, but just wondering if the computers are picking up these weird circumstances.

KenPom has Santa Clara at #152. That's in the neighborhood of Duquesne. It's also over 55 spots behind the trio of Bona-Dayton-Xavier. If we want to be a Top 25 team, we should win all of those games at home. We should comfortably beat Santa Clara. Bills by 21.