Big East Bball continues to crumble

ACE

Frankly, I find this odd. If you subscribe to the theory, as I do, that big money football is driving all the major conference realignments, then Notre Dame doing this WITHOUT football makes no sense to the ACC. Did Notre Dame dominate the Beast in basketball? Hardly. Although I guess trading Cincy, Louisville, and Uconn for th elikes of Duke, North Carolina and Maryland is a wash. Plu sthey regain old friends in Pitt, Syracuse and BC. They get rid of SMU, Houston and so on. But football is the driver and I suspect they didn't want to share any cuts into the Notredame Broadcasting Companys (NBC) that they receive solo now.

I am unfamiliar with the new college football playoff. I know Notre Dame had a set aside in the old BCS arrangement where they had to be considered along with the BCS conference winners. Does some clause like that exist in th eplanned four-team playoff situationnow being discussed? I sure hop enot. Notre Dame football is irrelevanmt right now, living off the ghosts of the past.

I think Swarbrick is playing two or three moves ahead of the ultimate demise of the Big East. This isn't your pappy's BEast. It isn't even your older brother's BEast.

The best defense is a good offense, they say. Has more to do with basketball (M & W) and other "Olympic" sports than football, really. And at the end of the day, Swarbrick was looking big picture at the Notre Dame brand, not just football. The ND brand is rock solid.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'd like to see the formation of a modified version of the Great Midwest Conference:

SLU

Dayton

Marquette

DePaul

Butler

Xavier and

Creighton(?)

could replace Cincinnati, Memphis and UAB. Maybe throw another school into the mix (Duquesne?) to make it an even eight-school conference.

What about something along the lines of the Great American Catholic Alliance comprised of SLU, Dayton, Xavier, Villanova, Marquette, Gonzaga, Georgetown, & Creighton????

I think Swarbrick is playing two or three moves ahead of the ultimate demise of the Big East. This isn't your pappy's BEast. It isn't even your older brother's BEast.

+1 Preemptive strike by ND. They see the rotten core of the BE and jumped. The A10 addition of Butler and VCU looks even smarter now (pun intended). The BE is going to be trolling for new members.

What about something along the lines of the Great American Catholic Alliance comprised of SLU, Dayton, Xavier, Villanova, Marquette, Gonzaga, Georgetown, & Creighton????

I'd like to see this, it would be the ultimate, that is what we all want, but you are being idealistic; won't ever happen.

Did you ever have to deal with high level Catholics/Jesuits administration to accomodate a significant big dollar mutually agreeable arrangement? I have (in healthcare) many times, they use their so called principals and processes to hide behind but it comes down to their huge egos and no agreement is consumated. Just a lot of formal bs meetings, no positive outcome.

I will wear a sun dress to a SLU game if anything close to this ever happens, I am so confident it will not. (save this one, bizzleboy)

Could see them looking at adding either UMass or East carolina.

Maybe the A-10 should get on the phone and try to get Marquette and DePaul to listen. Get to 16 teams .

Taj, the ACC gets 5 football games a year with Norte dame plus an above average basketball team and a well above average Olympic sports. Don't downplay the value of those 5 football games as a full member only plays 8.

For Notre dame they get a step up in basketball and other sports and don't have to play the newly added teams that remind us of the old Cusa days. Big step up for them.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

Frankly, I find this odd. If you subscribe to the theory, as I do, that big money football is driving all the major conference realignments, then Notre Dame doing this WITHOUT football makes no sense to the ACC. Did Notre Dame dominate the Beast in basketball? Hardly. Although I guess trading Cincy, Louisville, and Uconn for th elikes of Duke, North Carolina and Maryland is a wash. Plu sthey regain old friends in Pitt, Syracuse and BC. They get rid of SMU, Houston and so on. But football is the driver and I suspect they didn't want to share any cuts into the Notredame Broadcasting Companys (NBC) that they receive solo now.

I am unfamiliar with the new college football playoff. I know Notre Dame had a set aside in the old BCS arrangement where they had to be considered along with the BCS conference winners. Does some clause like that exist in th eplanned four-team playoff situationnow being discussed? I sure hop enot. Notre Dame football is irrelevanmt right now, living off the ghosts of the past.

Notre Dame has been having trouble scheduling decent games (particularly in the conference part of the schedule). The agreement with the ACC allows them to schedule games (presumably at ND's convencience) with ACC teams. ND can now schedule 5 ACC games (West Virginia or Pitt or BC or Miami or Wake or whomever) each season. This move makes the AD's job much easier and also leaves them open to join if their sweet NBC deal ever ends.

Notre Dame has been having trouble scheduling decent games (particularly in the conference part of the schedule). The agreement with the ACC allows them to schedule games (presumably at ND's convencience) with ACC teams. ND can now schedule 5 ACC games (West Virginia or Pitt or BC or Miami or Wake or whomever) each season. This move makes the AD's job much easier and also leaves them open to join if their sweet NBC deal ever ends.

Yet they have the toughest schedule in college football year after year...

Just saying...

Good morning my fellow Billikens, from the Left Coast.

I was literally at the Eiffel Tower when I received a text from a fellow Billiken re Coach Majerus. That is a tough blow to say the least. But we must carry on.

Now comes this morning's big news of Notre Dame to the ACC. There are a number of potential ramifications, and the dust has barely started to settle. First, the ACC is likely going to need a 16th team for basketball, and the expected #1 target seems to be Georgetown. However, would neighboring Maryland block? The wise counsel of our Beyond the Beltway expert, Taj, is sought.

If Georgetown stays in the Big East, do Georgetown and Villanova then drive the truck to form the long sought Papal (or as I call it the Vatican) Conference?

A key point here is the Big East's ESPN TV contract is reportedly up for renegotiation. I previously read that the Big East non-football schools have raked in 7 figures from the TV contract, whereas the A10 schools get in the 5 figures. That in itself largely explains why the expected Big East schism has not yet happened. But with Notre Dame leaving, all bets are off in that regard.

If there is no Papal Conference, what becomes of Marquette and DePaul? Would the A10 take them? The left side of my brain has certain thoughts re the "Warriors," but when the more rational right side assumes control and putting the past aside, I realize we are probably better with them than without them. Marquette was basically a Notre Dame appendage in the Big East. Now the torso will be gone.

As for the alma mater, St. Louis U., the U must remain vigilant. Equity aids the vigilant. The dominoes could really start falling soon, and this time they will have a direct effect on the alma mater.

ND gets a stake in the ACC non-BCS Bowls.

ACC football is enhanced because although ND will not be a football member, ND has agreed to play 5 ACC teams each season.

ND hoops gets a major upgrade from being in the same league as Duke and North Carolina.

The big loser appears to be the Big Ten. I read that the Big Ten would only take ND if ND football came along too. The age old wound has not healed. And by my count, with 5 ACC games, ND is going to have to drop 1 team in football. There was past talk about staggering the Purdue series.

ND continues to get the best of both worlds.

Yet they have the toughest schedule in college football year after year...

Just saying...

Not quite, pretty bad compared to any major conference team actually. This years schedule MIGHT end up pretty tough but according to Ken Massey (official rater for NCAA) their SOS ranks are as follows:

2011 - 22nd

2010 - 19th

2009 - 40th

2008 - 50th

2007 - 23rd

SLU should hire a good PR firm.

Xavier is weakened, a shell of its former self. Dayton is no more than an A10 middle of the pack team these days.

Creighton, in Omaha, is too far away from the East Coast. For all they know, Creighton could be another Boise State or San Diego State. Those two Big East football additions continue to crack me up. Yes, the San Diego State campus is "east" of the Pacific Ocean.

So even without the fallen Coach Majerus, SLU should be uber alles, as in #1 as a potential Catholic Big East (CYO) team.

Again, equity aids the vigilant.

Woops, looks like all sports except for football to the ACC. Maybe they didn't feel they could compete in the ACC. Fight On

my opinion on notre dame as a football independent is that at some point they will likely be forced to conference up. and yes, considering the level notre dame football has regressed over the last 20 years, the ACC is the better place to be.

Notre Dame football can't stay independent forever. It used to be a stronger brand when the program was better and when people didn't have the option to watch dozens of other college football games from the comfort of their own homes on any given Saturday. It was surprising to see NBC renew the contract until you saw that two top NBC execs had children at the school. Notre Dame made this move because it knows that when the contract is up (2015? 2016?), it very well might not be renewed. They can then slide nicely into the ACC in all sports except hockey. In the meantime, the ACC has time to figure out who it can add as a 16th so it can have two even divisions in all sports.

Hopefully this causes more movement with the Big East and the logical, now seemingly inevitable, move to a large athletic conference comprised of the private schools without D-I FBS football programs. And hopefully SLU isn't on the outside looking in when that happens.

Like Box, I'm confused about the "karma for DePaul and Marquette" comments. Is that really because they jumped to the Big East from C-USA? Would we not have done the same thing? It's pretty unreasonable to hold that grudge.

Notre Dame Football: #1 in Negligent Homicide.

Notre Dame football can't stay independent forever. It used to be a stronger brand when the program was better and when people didn't have the option to watch dozens of other college football games from the comfort of their own homes on any given Saturday. It was surprising to see NBC renew the contract until you saw that two top NBC execs had children at the school. Notre Dame made this move because it knows that when the contract is up (2015? 2016?), it very well might not be renewed. They can then slide nicely into the ACC in all sports except hockey. In the meantime, the ACC has time to figure out who it can add as a 16th so it can have two even divisions in all sports. Hopefully this causes more movement with the Big East and the logical, now seemingly inevitable, move to a large athletic conference comprised of the private schools without D-I FBS football programs. And hopefully SLU isn't on the outside looking in when that happens. Like Box, I'm confused about the "karma for DePaul and Marquette" comments. Is that really because they jumped to the Big East from C-USA? Would we not have done the same thing? It's pretty unreasonable to hold that grudge. Notre Dame Football: #1 in Negligent Homicide.

except it was whispered at the time that the catholic schools had pledged one for all and all for one prior to the happening. so no, i will continue to hold my grudge. when biondo is likely the most trustworthy of the group, that is saying something.

except it was whispered at the time that the catholic schools had pledged one for all and all for one prior to the happening. so no, i will continue to hold my grudge. when biondo is likely the most trustworthy of the group, that is saying something.

I'll need something stronger than "whispers" to go on before condemning either of those schools.

Notre Dame football can't stay independent forever.

-tell that to notre dame, although as you say this could be a move to ensure their landing place is secure if they must join a conf

-i guess at some point the money from a conf could equal or surpass the money from nbc(esp if that money from nbc is zero) and that is when they join the acc, or whoever gives them the best deal at that time, get in a bidding war

-nbc needs programming on 6 to 8 saturdays a year, how much are they willing to pay nd to keep them in that slot?

-does adidas enter into this anywhere?

-if the acc needs another fball school, that would seem to eliminate gtwn, marq and depaul

-BAB, good to have you back, sorry about no stanford game in your backyard

-tell that to notre dame, although as you say this could be a move to ensure their landing place is secure if they must join a conf

-i guess at some point the money from a conf could equal or surpass the money from nbc(esp if that money from nbc is zero) and that is when they join the acc, or whoever gives them the best deal at that time, get in a bidding war

-nbc needs programming on 6 to 8 saturdays a year, how much are they willing to pay nd to keep them in that slot?

-does adidas enter into this anywhere?

-if the acc needs another fball school, that would seem to eliminate gtwn, marq and depaul

I'd happily tell that to Notre Dame, if anything I said mattered. The question is, will NBC renew or will it begin a deal with an entire conference or conferences? The ratings for Notre Dame aren't what they used to be, mostly because of the reasons I mentioned above (big-time college football on ESPN and CBS and their various arms, ND's decline into an average program) so NBC might be better served to look at a bigger deal that would include many more programs, especially with its push to challenge the other networks' superior sports coverage. With deals only for the Olympics, NHL, and outdoor sports, NBC certainly wants more of a presence in the more consistent, big-time sports. It's become clear that sticking to one program is not a sustainable model if it truly wants to be competitive.

I'll need something stronger than "whispers" to go on before condemning either of those schools.

Yeah, Roy, that's pretty weak. I've never seen a D-I athletic program stay loyal to its old pals when there is an opportunity to make more money. To think Biondi would have done otherwise if given the opportunity is just plain foolish. If they want us get the band back together in some A10-Big East non-football conference hybrid, you can bet your ass we'll accept. We'd be petulant brats not to do so.

I'd happily tell that to Notre Dame, if anything I said mattered. The question is, will NBC renew or will it begin a deal with an entire conference or conferences? The ratings for Notre Dame aren't what they used to be, mostly because of the reasons I mentioned above (big-time college football on ESPN and CBS and their various arms, ND's decline into an average program) so NBC might be better served to look at a bigger deal that would include many more programs, especially with its push to challenge the other networks' superior sports coverage. With deals only for the Olympics, NHL, and outdoor sports, NBC certainly wants more of a presence in the more consistent, big-time sports. It's become clear that sticking to one program is not a sustainable model if it truly wants to be competitive.

-my point, not clearly made, was not against you but rather that notre dame probably thinks it can stay independent forever or this acc deal is where they land or where the negotiating for their inclusion in a conf starts

-i agree with many of your points on this, but if nbc continues to think notre dame is "big-time" the contract continues, and that big-time i would think equates to can nbc make money on the deal which leads to can they sell the advertising time to make that money and this adds another 5-10 minutes to the 4 hours a typical notre dame game seems to take