Big East Bball continues to crumble

ACE

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Notre Dame to leave the Big East. Just wait until Louisville bolts. I'm looking forward to some of the great basketball match-ups... Providence vs. TCU, DePaul vs. SMU. Central Florida vs. Seton Hall. Good stuff!

corrected

ND is going to the ACC and TCU is not in the Big East. The Big East will still be a good conference with out ND, PITT, WV, and Syracuse.

It is not going to be a good basketball conference to play in for the Catholic schools. What benifit is there for eastern and midwest catholic schools to be playing in the same conference South Florida, Central Florida, Houston, SMU, and Memphis? This is a major step down for programs like Villanova, St Johns, and G Town. It is now nothin more than a more spread out CUSA.

Awesome. the big least living up to it's name. karma for marquette and depaul imo.

i have long believed that the bcs would eventually become four 16 school conferences that would align themselves to go independent of the NCAA. Big 10, SEC, ACC and ? is the question. but it would make it easy to develop that true national championship tourney for football that all really want. each conference has a championship game and then take the four winners into their overall championship.

I think you meant to post ND to the ACC.

I agree that the Big East is a joke,. The A10 with the latest moves is now a better basketball conference. Hard to believe that SLU is now in a better spot than Marquette.

Changed it. Thanks. Also forgot about all of TCU's jumping around. What a joke. I'm sure the Big East still will have an attractive tv contract for awhile, so that is why some non-football schools may want to stay, but if I'm the A-10, after Charlotte and Temple leave try to expand back to 16. Start with Georgetown and work your way down. You might get a couple to jump ship. I just can't see how the basketball-only schools would want to stay long-term in this version of the Big East. The A-10 continues to narrow the gap.

-a bit of stream of consciousness...

-the conf shuffle continues

-is nd still a draw? i am not sure they are but i guess the acc sees it

-for nd, why the acc? i guess the big10 would only take them if fball was included?

-why does the acc allow nd to come and not bring fball??? i see the deal includes nd playing 5 fball games each year against acc teams, why not join the league as a full member then?

-how much does this hurt the beast? if the answer to my first point is nd is still a draw i guess it does hurt, but i am not sure i see it -- and the acc must still nd as a draw

-is there some future promise regarding fball joining?

-if it helps SLU i hope the beast explodes, screw thoughts of gmason or valpo or some others as targets for the A10, go after marq, gtmn and depaul if further expansion is the goal

Awesome. the big least living up to it's name. karma for marquette and depaul imo.

i have long believed that the bcs would eventually become four 16 school conferences that would align themselves to go independent of the NCAA. Big 10, SEC, ACC and ? is the question. but it would make it easy to develop that true national championship tourney for football that all really want. each conference has a championship game and then take the four winners into their overall championship.

I don't think they wil seperate themselves in basketball. They need more than 64 teams total in basketball to make that tournament attractive. I think there is a chance they try to dramatically lower the number of schools that play basketball at the top level. That why it is better to be in a conference like the A10 that is the best basketball first conference than some other options right now.

-for nd, why the acc? i guess the big10 would only take them if fball was included?

-why does the acc allow nd to come and not bring fball??? i see the deal includes nd playing 5 fball games each year against acc teams, why not join the league as a full member then?

-how much does this hurt the beast? if the answer to my first point is nd is still a draw i guess it does hurt, but i am not sure i see it -- and the acc must still nd as a draw

-if it helps SLU i hope the beast explodes, screw thoughts of gmason or valpo or some others as targets for the A10, go after marq, gtmn and depaul if further expansion is the goal

If you are ND you want to go where your future students are. The Big 10 is located in states that are not exactly booming when it comes to population growth,

Losing ND has to really hurt the Catholic bball teams in the Big East. Playing ND was a very attractive game. Now they'll get the likes of SMU, Houston and Central Florida.

Personally, I'd like to see the formation of a modified version of the Great Midwest Conference:

SLU

Dayton

Marquette

DePaul

Butler

Xavier and

Creighton(?)

could replace Cincinnati, Memphis and UAB. Maybe throw another school into the mix (Duquesne?) to make it an even eight-school conference.

I'm not sure if you've noticed but SMU is serious about becoming good at B-ball. They have a recently built practice facility, will be doing 56mil in upgrades to their auditorium, hired Larry Brown with Jankovich at Ast HC with a guarantee he will be HC at a cool 800K/yr. Also Houston has some tradition in B-ball could be good again.

It is a clusterschtook.

This is all ruining NCAA basketball, conference identities are unclear, long term rivalries destroyed, the magic of cinderella teams making it to the tourney are being blurred.

I like how some on this board are so cocky now, hell we made it to the 2nd round one time, f*ck Marquette, etc.

I see this as the further decline of the attractiveness of the sport. The larger issue is the ridiculous lax standards for so many school's student athletes, so many should not be in college and the Kentucky's of the world get one and done players, a joke. Student athletes?

But back to the issue, while breaking up all the conferences seems like an opportunity to some, and there are winners and losers the way some are looking at it.. all are losers as the sport whores itself out one team after another, one conference after another. Nothing is as it seems.

Don't get cocky, my colleagues. This is not good.

Personally, I'd like to see the formation of a modified version of the Great Midwest Conference:

SLU

Dayton

Marquette

DePaul

Butler

Xavier and

Creighton(?)

could replace Cincinnati, Memphis and UAB. Maybe throw another school into the mix (Duquesne?) to make it an even eight-school conference.

-i don't see the luster of creighton either, unless purely on a Jesuit basis and if that is the case do we also add holy cross?

+1,000,000

I'm not sure if you've noticed but SMU is serious about becoming good at B-ball. They have a recently built practice facility, will be doing 56mil in upgrades to their auditorium, hired Larry Brown with Jankovich at Ast HC with a guarantee he will be HC at a cool 800K/yr. Also Houston has some tradition in B-ball could be good again.

They need every bit of that 56mil to update Moody Coliseum. Dallas Jesuit High School has better basketball facilities that SMU ;) Moody is a poor man's Palestra and an even poorer man's Cameron.

Creightons basketball program is far better than SLU's. That is the luster.

Creighton might also be the only school that wouldn't consider joining the A-10 purely because of baseball. It would be a huge step down from the Valley and leaving rivalry series with Wichita, MSU and Southern Illinois.

As a Trojan fan, got to shoot this one out..

Maybe Notre Dame felt they could compete in the ACC for football.

Fight On

Woops, looks like all sports except for football to the ACC.

Maybe they didn't feel they could compete in the ACC.

Fight On

Frankly, I find this odd. If you subscribe to the theory, as I do, that big money football is driving all the major conference realignments, then Notre Dame doing this WITHOUT football makes no sense to the ACC. Did Notre Dame dominate the Beast in basketball? Hardly. Although I guess trading Cincy, Louisville, and Uconn for th elikes of Duke, North Carolina and Maryland is a wash. Plu sthey regain old friends in Pitt, Syracuse and BC. They get rid of SMU, Houston and so on. But football is the driver and I suspect they didn't want to share any cuts into the Notredame Broadcasting Companys (NBC) that they receive solo now.

I am unfamiliar with the new college football playoff. I know Notre Dame had a set aside in the old BCS arrangement where they had to be considered along with the BCS conference winners. Does some clause like that exist in th eplanned four-team playoff situationnow being discussed? I sure hop enot. Notre Dame football is irrelevanmt right now, living off the ghosts of the past.