Barnett Article

kshoe

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see something in the news about Billiken BB - not sure where the minutes are going to come from for JB - seems like a great kid and I wish him luck but things do not look promising for him. RM's comments while diplomatic were not encouraging for him. JB is simply a case like KC ended up with - got recruited over but in KC's case it took until his senior season for the impact to be felt for him. JB has been blocked from the beginning With the play of MM and JJ reaching higher levels, JB is simply odd man out and now with the addition of Keith Carter - I know do not count your chickens and all - but there has been enough non program people writing about him to make me think it is more likely true that he is going to get good minutes this year.

I wouldn't bet against him getting some decent clock early on. He will get the benifit of the impact of playing and praticing during the summer tour. It will all come down to his ability to play defense and hit the 3. If he shows the ability to do both he will get minutes.

Those minutes will be harder to hold onto once the newcomers adjust to playing for Majerus. I don't expect either Drew or Carter to be playing defense at an acceptable level for Rickma right away.

The thing Barnett has going for him is his height. At 6'5, he towers over any of the guys we have playing the 1 or 2. It also gives him the ability to play a little of the 3. After Dwayne, we really don't have a 3 until Drew comes along. If Jake can get his shot back and rebound like he did in China, I see him getting his fair share of minutes. Two big "if's" though...

Once again, I think it shows how deep this team is, as well as the quality of recruiting year in and year out, when a player of Barnett's ability may not see significant minutes on the floor. It really does speak to how far this team has come under Majerus.

I thought he looked good as a shooter. It comes down to D and ballhandling with him. And confidence. Majerus said that he had "paralysis by analysis" last year.

It is weird. A couple summers ago, the reports were talking like he was the best of the incomers. My guess is he gets KC's minutes this year. The other 4 guards/wings coming back are just too good not to play them most of the time. And Jett and Evans have high ceilings on both sides of the floor.

Yep. It would be nice to have a Virgil Cobbin like shooter off the bench.

Virgil was a double digit scorer I think, even though i couldnt find anything, and a sniper. Lets not compare him to to the great Virgil just yet, even though those teams were less talented

Virgil was a double digit scorer I think, even though i couldnt find anything, and a sniper. Lets not compare him to to the great Virgil just yet, even though those teams were less talented

Let's also not forget that Cobbin was a nice secondary scorer on the 1997-98 team and has two NCAA Tournament games to his credit.

I wasnt comparing him to cobbin, just hoping he could be a sniper like Virgil. A 6'5" sharp shooter off the bench that could play some D...damn, that'd be nice.

I thought he looked good as a shooter. It comes down to D and ballhandling with him. And confidence. Majerus said that he had "paralysis by analysis" last year.

It is weird. A couple summers ago, the reports were talking like he was the best of the incomers. My guess is he gets KC's minutes this year. The other 4 guards/wings coming back are just too good not to play them most of the time. And Jett and Evans have high ceilings on both sides of the floor.

JB even admitted that he wished his shooting in China had been better so not sure how his being on the floor will help us offensively - from what I saw his shot was not remarkable. The Cassidy minutes were like 2 at the end so if you are offering that he gets 2 minutes a game I would think that would be disappointing to him. JJ and MM will likely have their hands full keeping KC getting their time at some point in the year.

I wasnt comparing him to cobbin, just hoping he could be a sniper like Virgil. A 6'5" sharp shooter off the bench that could play some D...damn, that'd be nice.

My memories of Virgil were not that he was a good D player. He got on the court for his shooting. D was part of the problem for JB last year sitting so why does anyone think that his "good D" will get him minutes?

ESPN's Eamonn Brennan also wrote an article in his blog about Barnett's adventures in China. Not necessarily positive about Barnett or the Bills in any way but I guess any press is good press.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/61184/want-to-be-a-hoops-god-go-to-china

ESPN's Eamonn Brennan also wrote an article in his blog about Barnett's adventures in China. Not necessarily positive about Barnett or the Bills in any way but I guess any press is good press.

http://espn.go.com/b...god-go-to-china

Unless I missed something the article did not even address SLU - the author just said that he had not heard of JB and who would have expected him to given the little playing JB did. Apparently JB played on a similar type team as a Freshman - maybe went to some eastern European country - I don't remember for sure - either way he apparently had contacst with this group.

Unless I missed something the article did not even address SLU - the author just said that he had not heard of JB and who would have expected him to given the little playing JB did. Apparently JB played on a similar type team as a Freshman - maybe went to some eastern European country - I don't remember for sure - either way he apparently had contacst with this group.

The first paragraph mentioned that he was our 10th man last year.

It's an honest piece. No one knows who he is. Hopefully that'll change in the next few years.

My memories of Virgil were not that he was a good D player. He got on the court for his shooting. D was part of the problem for JB last year sitting so why does anyone think that his "good D" will get him minutes?

The "D" part was me hoping that JB could be a solid defensive player with a Cobbin like shot. I didn't mean to imply that I wanted him to have Cobbin's defensive ability.

I think there are minutes for Barnett at the 3 if he can seize the opportunity. I don't think he is a 2. A combination of Mitchell at the 1, Jett at the 2, and Barnett at 3 could work.

Only if he can hit the 3 ball. Unless you've seen him slash and dash which doesn't seem to be his style. Which reminds me, I'm certainly hoping DE, who is a slasher, is working out with our bigs to slam home those bunnies he sets up for himself. That would be a partial solution to losing BC.

I think there are minutes for Barnett at the 3 if he can seize the opportunity. I don't think he is a 2. A combination of Mitchell at the 1, Jett at the 2, and Barnett at 3 could work.

I think Barnett can play the 2, or shooting guard, position, provided he doesn't have to chase a super-quick 5-10 player around on defense.

Only if he can hit the 3 ball. Unless you've seen him slash and dash which doesn't seem to be his style. Which reminds me, I'm certainly hoping DE, who is a slasher, is working out with our bigs to slam home those bunnies he sets up for himself. That would be a partial solution to losing BC.

I agree that Evans needs to be more assertive around the basket, but I suspect he'll continue to work out with the guards like he was doing last season in unit break-downs.