Willie Reed signs with Sac-town

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to defend the reputation of my state capital. #1 my wife grew up there, and I have been there numerous times. I have also been to ESL, though not in the last 50 years. So I am not really an expert, but I invite all of you out here to The Golden State to appreciate the history that was made in Sacramento and what is has become today.

As to the Kings, I am afraid the Maloofs are not good people to work for. I wish Willie well in his chosen profession though.

I'm also looking forward to a great season this year for my alma mater. I'm just sad that the game at Stanford did not work out for whatever reason. I also say a little prayer for RM before going to sleep too.

• 2 weeks later...

Willie was one of 13 players to play for the Kings in their first preseason game. 2 minutes and a rebound. Maybe he can get that last roster spot.

Maybe, but it seems unlikely. He's averaging 24 rebounds per 48 minutes so he's got that going for him.

Just being on an NBA preseason roster pretty much guarantees you of a gig at some level playing in Europe if Willie can stick it out. I think he will have his choice between NBA D league or Europe. I'd consider it an accomplishment if he played a full season with a professional team at almost any level. Willie has always had the talent, discipline ... not so much.

I know Willie had issues, but take those away and can you imagine how good we could have been last year with him? I don't think I'm drinking the kool-aid when I say Final Four potential. Add one shot-blocking and rebounding big to go along with all the other excellent elements of the team, including RM steerig the ship and you got something really special. Oh well, it was still a great season.

Just being on an NBA preseason roster pretty much guarantees you of a gig at some level playing in Europe if Willie can stick it out. I think he will have his choice between NBA D league or Europe. I'd consider it an accomplishment if he played a full season with a professional team at almost any level. Willie has always had the talent, discipline ... not so much.

Do they have Applebee's in Europe? The new 2 for 20 menu probably makes Willie lean to the D League

I know Willie had issues, but take those away and can you imagine how good we could have been last year with him? I don't think I'm drinking the kool-aid when I say Final Four potential. Add one shot-blocking and rebounding big to go along with all the other excellent elements of the team, including RM steerig the ship and you got something really special. Oh well, it was still a great season.

however no one knows what a willie presense wold have done to the team chemistry last year. i'm not sure willie will be in the future weddings of the players on our team from last year from what i have been told.

however no one knows what a willie presense wold have done to the team chemistry last year. i'm not sure willie will be in the future weddings of the players on our team from last year from what i have been told.

Well, in my hypothetical, I did say a Willie with no issues. The Bills won plenty of games Willie's sophomore year. Even if they didn't like the guy, I don't recall any chemistry issues on the court. My point is that "mid-majors" often lack the quality bigs to get to the Final 4. I really believe Willie would have given last year's team that element. Of course you need a few breaks on the road to the Final Four, but I would say last year's team with Willie could have matched the talent of the two Butler teams and the VCU team that made the Final Four. Plus, we would have been led by a coach who had been there.

-one of the things that makes me think this year's team can overcome or over-achieve is that they all seem to geniunely like each other, perhaps he had issues with school, but seeing Willie at the games sitting with the students (ok, mostly with coeds) cheering for his ex-teammates and some of the twitter stuff posted from him makes me think Willie would have been fine as a teammate

-one of the things that makes me think this year's team can overcome or over-achieve is that they all seem to geniunely like each other, perhaps he had issues with school, but seeing Willie at the games sitting with the students (ok, mostly with coeds) cheering for his ex-teammates and some of the twitter stuff posted from him makes me think Willie would have been fine as a teammate

You can't judge a book by its cover.

Based on this article it doesn't sound like Willie is seen as a contender for a roster spot, but is merely there to battle Cousins in training camp

www.cowbellkingdom.com/2012/10/14/sacramento-kings-roster-nba-training-camp-roster-contract/

At least he wasnt the first one cut of the 4 non roster invitees.

"The Kings have officially requested waivers on Cyril Awere, the team announced today in a press release. Having released Awere, who didn't see action in the team's only preseason game to date, the Kings now have 17 players under contract.

Awere a 6'11" center from Nigeria, had been playing for Stade Nabeulien in Tunisia before he was added to the Kings' training camp roster. When the team signed him, I noted that he and fellow camp invitee Willie Reed were extreme long shots to make Sacramento's regular-season roster. However, with 14 players on guaranteed contracts, there is one roster spot available for the Kings' three remaining camp invitees -- Reed, Tony Mitchell and Hamady N'Diaye are the candidates for that 15th spot."

Ace. That's the problem with the kool-aid - sometimes you don't realize how much it affects you!!

Seriously, though, while I usually agree with most of your posts and I do agree that our team would have been that much better with more help on the inside last year (BC certainly played his heart and capitalized on other players'/teams' mistakes with his superior technique and desire), we would NOT have been a Final Four team last year even with WR and without chemistry or other such issues. Last year, IMO, we still lacked that clutch player needed to take over the end of games and win against Top 16 and/or Elite 8 talent. I'm not talking about season statistics for our guys' scoring/shooting. This year, we truly need need someone to step up and be able to compete playing the 3 and 4 positions. RL and JM will be fine at the 5. MM, KC and KM (when he returns) will be great at the 1 and 2. To me, though, the play of JJ, JB, DE and CE will be the key to this season.

Ace. That's the problem with the kool-aid - sometimes you don't realize how much it affects you!!

Seriously, though, while I usually agree with most of your posts and I do agree that our team would have been that much better with more help on the inside last year (BC certainly played his heart and capitalized on other players'/teams' mistakes with his superior technique and desire), we would NOT have been a Final Four team last year even with WR and without chemistry or other such issues. Last year, IMO, we still lacked that clutch player needed to take over the end of games and win against Top 16 and/or Elite 8 talent. I'm not talking about season statistics for our guys' scoring/shooting. This year, we truly need need someone to step up and be able to compete playing the 3 and 4 positions. RL and JM will be fine at the 5. MM, KC and KM (when he returns) will be great at the 1 and 2. To me, though, the play of JJ, JB, DE and CE will be the key to this season.

Well you are a wise man for usually agreeing with me ;) and I usually agree with many of your posts as well, but we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm not saying that we would have been a favorite to get to the Final Four, but I am convinced we would have had the ability to do it. Sprinkle a little bit of a luck with some favorable match-ups and I have no doubt it would have been within the realm of possibility. I wouldn't see a lot of difference talent-wise with a Bills team w/Willie and the "mid-majors" that recently made the Final Four - two Butler teams and VCU. Heck, VCU was a #11 seed. Look at how tough we played #1 seed Michigan State last year. As long as we could have avoided Kentucky on the Road to the Final Four, it could have been possible with my hypothetical team. The big reason my team could have done it, would have been defense. We already had an awesome defensive team, but if you added the rebounding and shot-blocking of Willie - wow! Can you imagine Evans and Willie playing together grabbing a ton of rebounds. Our outstanding perimeter defense would have been even better with the ability to stretch further with Willie defending the paint.

Well you are a wise man for usually agreeing with me ;) and I usually agree with many of your posts as well, but we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm not saying that we would have been a favorite to get to the Final Four, but I am convinced we would have had the ability to do it. Sprinkle a little bit of a luck with some favorable match-ups and I have no doubt it would have been within the realm of possibility. I wouldn't see a lot of difference talent-wise with a Bills team w/Willie and the "mid-majors" that recently made the Final Four - two Butler teams and VCU. Heck, VCU was a #11 seed. Look at how tough we played #1 seed Michigan State last year. As long as we could have avoided Kentucky on the Road to the Final Four, it could have been possible with my hypothetical team. The big reason my team could have done it, would have been defense. We already had an awesome defensive team, but if you added the rebounding and shot-blocking of Willie - wow! Can you imagine Evans and Willie playing together grabbing a ton of rebounds. Our outstanding perimeter defense would have been even better with the ability to stretch further with Willie defending the paint.

Yes, but what about the shot distribution and offensive roles? It never really is, "all things else being equal."

Yes, but what about the shot distribution and offensive roles? It never really is, "all things else being equal."

Yeah, I guess having an athletic big who could grab a bunch of offensive rebounds, score in the paint and slam dunks with regularity would have disrupted "offensive roles." We probably would have done worse in the NCAA Tourney with a higher seed as we may have run into a really tough 1st round match-up like Norfolk State.

Fair points. And for most regular season games and the first 35 minutes of big games/NCAA Tourney games, you are right. Comparbles to our Billikens: Dwayne Wade had nice group of players at Marquette but it was Wade who put the team on his back and carried them to the Final Four. Same with the name of the Butler and George Mason guys (I'm drawing a blank on names) who took them to back to back Final Fours/Finals. Not trying to be negative about our guys (best we have had in years) but it really takes someone special to will a team to the Final Four. To beat a top ranked team in the regular season is great but to win an Elite Eight game is even tougher.

Fair points. And for most regular season games and the first 35 minutes of big games/NCAA Tourney games, you are right. Comparbles to our Billikens: Dwayne Wade had nice group of players at Marquette but it was Wade who put the team on his back and carried them to the Final Four. Same with the name of the Butler and George Mason guys (I'm drawing a blank on names) who took them to back to back Final Fours/Finals. Not trying to be negative about our guys (best we have had in years) but it really takes someone special to will a team to the Final Four. To beat a top ranked team in the regular season is great but to win an Elite Eight game is even tougher.

The first Butler team had Heyward who was a "great" college player, but that second Butler team that made the Final Four truly was a team. I didn't see any difference makers on that team, just a group that worked really well together. KM showed in the Memphis game he was capable of being that guy when needed. I think our defense would have been able to keep us in any game, with the exception of the professionals from Kentucky. Look at how Conklin went to work last year because we spaced the floor well, with quick guards and bigs who could step out and hit threes. Willie would have put on a dunking clinic. More importantly, he would have helped make an outstanding defensive team - great. Oh well, it's all hypothetical. Getting excited about some real games soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember WR from his Soph year and there's no denying he was a factor in the success we had that season. That said, from certain posts on here you get the idea WR was pretty much a "me" first type who never heard the cliche, "There's no I in team." It's hard to say how we would have done with him last year because of the chemistry issue. Would BC have developed as he did if WR was here? BC put in the Conklin summer knowing he was the main inside man, might not have been the case if WR was still here. Also, in BC's jr year you could see progress in his inside game as the season went along. Again, if WR played that year that progression might have slowed down. Add to that WR may have felt pressure to display his skills to NBA scouts and made the game all about him rather than play w/in RM's system. Of course RM would have put a stop to that anytime he saw it. We had a great season last year w/o WR, but still he was a talented athletic big, and you can't help but wonder if his presence would have taken us even further. The fact that he got a long look from SAC means that he was probably one of the top 20 bigs playing college hoops in the last 3-4 years. Here's hoping he goes to Europe and finds success over there that might earn him another shot at the NBA. WR's best hope for a life lies in earning some $$ playing hoops and saving those euros, dollars, rubles, etc. for a rainy day. Not saying he can't make it w/o hoops, but based on his past episodes at SLU, WR's still got a lot of growing up to do.