RM Upbeat about 12-13

slu72

TT's article certainly made RM sound very upbeat about the upcoming season. Excited about RL and CE getting that extra work and hopefully making it to London. Also about the schedule, which is shaping up to be no cakewalk given the travel involved to the WC.

The blurb about JB trying out ( has he made that team?) for that travel team also benefits us. JB got me to thinking about how good it would be to see him return as a 3 pt sniper. So, I did a little checking on our 3 pt shooting last year.

Actually we're a middle of the pack 3 team. Team avg was around 32%. KM led us w/ 36%, CE and MM both at around 34%. Be nice to see us push the high 30% mark, as that surely would translate to more W's.

It just seemed to me we weren't consistently hitting at that mark though. We'd get hot and hit a bunch in a row, then go flat. Or like CE hitting at a really high clip for one game, then go ice cold in the next game. KM seems to be the most consistent, ie he'll hit 1 of every 3 he tales, but he doesn't seem to get on a roll like CE or MM who'll suddenly go off for 2 or 3 in a row.

What's probably most puzzling about our 3 point shooting is when we take 'em we're usually wide open because of good ball movement. In the Anaheim tournamet we were unreal at getting wide open 3's and hit a lot of them. Even in the MSU game we had good looks against a solid D team, but they just weren't falling, especially in the first half.

Point being, we're all worried about our inside game this upcoming season, but if we could raise our 3 pt shooting to around 37-38% it would make things go a little easier for us on the inside.

TT's article certainly made RM sound very upbeat about the upcoming season. Excited about RL and CE getting that extra work and hopefully making it to London. Also about the schedule, which is shaping up to be no cakewalk given the travel involved to the WC.

The blurb about JB trying out ( has he made that team?) for that travel team also benefits us. JB got me to thinking about how good it would be to see him return as a 3 pt sniper. So, I did a little checking on our 3 pt shooting last year.

Actually we're a middle of the pack 3 team. Team avg was around 32%. KM led us w/ 36%, CE and MM both at around 34%. Be nice to see us push the high 30% mark, as that surely would translate to more W's.

It just seemed to me we weren't consistently hitting at that mark though. We'd get hot and hit a bunch in a row, then go flat. Or like CE hitting at a really high clip for one game, then go ice cold in the next game. KM seems to be the most consistent, ie he'll hit 1 of every 3 he tales, but he doesn't seem to get on a roll like CE or MM who'll suddenly go off for 2 or 3 in a row.

What's probably most puzzling about our 3 point shooting is when we take 'em we're usually wide open because of good ball movement. In the Anaheim tournamet we were unreal at getting wide open 3's and hit a lot of them. Even in the MSU game we had good looks against a solid D team, but they just weren't falling, especially in the first half.

Point being, we're all worried about our inside game this upcoming season, but if we could raise our 3 pt shooting to around 37-38% it would make things go a little easier for us on the inside.

72, where are you getting your numbers?

I see them as a 36% team and Cody with the best percentage (ignoring Conk's 1-2).

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewContent.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=27200&CONTENT_ID=170965

72, where are you getting your numbers?

I see them as a 36% team and Cody with the best percentage (ignoring Conk's 1-2).

http://www.slubillik...NTENT_ID=170965

I see that our DEFENSIVE 3 pt % was at 31.5%. Perhaps this is what '72 was mistakenly referring to? I also have Cody at 38% to lead the team, Kwa at 36.5% and then Loe, McCall and Evans all bunched together at the 35% mark.

I would also like to point out that Mitchell's 3 point percentage increased significantly during the conference season, as he shot 41.6%. Perhaps that is a nice indicator of what we can expect to see this coming season from beyond the arc. Cody was consistently at the 38% mark all season, in conference and non-conf games.

-looking at statsheet.com our 35.9% ranked 93rd in 3pt%, i would not have thought we were that high

-the 50th ranked team (shot 37.4%) at our attempts per game would make almost 10 more 3ptrs for the season (.3 more 3ptrs per game) and the 25th ranked team (shot 38.5%) would make about 17 more for the season (.5 more per game)

-while there i looked at ft% and we were 77th at 72.0%

Cody didn't make it, won't be playing in the Olympics.

I dont know much about international basketball but I would imagine Australia would have a pretty good team.

They have an established professional team and send tons of players to the US for college ball. Every year the NBA seems to have 3 or 4 Austalian players in the league.

Im not sure how the process works but I would think Austalia would have a lot of veteran professional players in line before Cody.

Im sure the experince helped and I bet Cody had a great time and learned a lot but I cant imagine him trying to defend anyone from the US team.

Come on back to St. Louis, Cody. Chip on shoulder, working on his 3s and low-post moves. Take it out on surfer boy Greenwood and those #%*# Lobos this season. Can't wait !

-looking at their website greenwood is on the roster, hope someone sets a 'conklin washington screen' on him early on new year's eve

-looking at their website greenwood is on the roster, hope someone sets a 'conklin washington screen' on him early on new year's eve

Yes, that would be the way to ring in the new year. Who could do it though ? Grandy ? Rob ? I would settle for JJ or Mike pilfering his pocket a few times.

• 2 months later...

He's mentioned as being on the squad that's playing China:

http://london2012.ol...of-china-series

but doesn't show up on the final roster:

http://london2012.ol...or-china-series

Actually Valpo's Ryan Broekhoff from Melbourne and a graduate of the Australian Institute of Sport played on the Boomers YuYi games team that played against China. Broekhoff was the last player cut before the Olympics. No college players were taken by the Australian Boomers men's team to London.

You'll soon get to know Broekhoff very well on December 2nd when Valpo visits Chaifetz.

Ryan's family will sometimes post on the Valpo message board from Melbourne, usually you only see the posts in the morning because of the time difference they usually post things overnight. Valpo is playing Northern Illinois in the 7:00 a.m. game on ESPN in the Nov.13th kickoff event. Ryan's dad got a real kick out of that because he will finally be able to watch one of Ryan's games at a normal hour in Australia.

Some of you may remember Luc Longley, a former Chicago Bull, who now helps coach the Australian National team.

Some of you may remember Luc Longley, a former Chicago Bull, who now helps coach the Australian National team.

SLU took care of Longley and New Mexico in the 1990 NIT semi-final. I had great seats that night. Go Bonner! (J Luc was hot that night)

bbtds' posting method, broken down:

• Does this topic relate to Valpo basketball? If it does, elaborate in great length and detail. If not, move to step 2.
  • Does this topic relate to Valpo in any other way? If it does, provide anecdote. If not, move to step 3.
  • Does this topic relate to basketball in the state of Indiana? If it does, elaborate in great length and detail, providing anecdote to further justify posting. If not, move to step 4.
  • Does this topic relate to the state of Indiana in any other way? If it does, provide multiple anecdotes with supporting detail and great length. If not, move to step 5.
  • If topic does not relate to any of the above, post about some combination Valpo basketball, Valpo, basketball in Indiana, the state of Indiana, and the Lutheran church anyway.

• Does this topic relate to Valpo basketball? If it does, elaborate in great length and detail. If not, move to step 2.
  • Does this topic relate to Valpo in any other way? If it does, provide anecdote. If not, move to step 3.
  • Does this topic relate to basketball in the state of Indiana? If it does, elaborate in great length and detail, providing anecdote to further justify posting. If not, move to step 4.
  • Does this topic relate to the state of Indiana in any other way? If it does, provide multiple anecdotes with supporting detail and great length. If not, move to step 5.
  • If topic does not relate to any of the above, post about some combination Valpo basketball, Valpo, basketball in Indiana, the state of Indiana, and the Lutheran church anyway.

valpo? i thought he was first and foremost a butler fan? of course he has belabored us with IU stories as well. i have decided his purpose on our board is to single handedly develop the rivalry between us and any indiana school. i know my hatred for all things indiana (except Rose Hulman) has escalated.

valpo? i thought he was first and foremost a butler fan? of course he has belabored us with IU stories as well. i have decided his purpose on our board is to single handedly develop the rivalry between us and any indiana school. i know my hatred for all things indiana (except Rose Hulman) has escalated.

Whatever. Maybe I'm mentally tying him together with that other Valpo poster who posted a bunch right after that Stanford game was swapped out for our Lutheran friends to the north. Nonetheless, everything he posts is Valpo-Butler-Indiana-Evansville-whatever other Indiana school he feels like talking about. It's exhausting, and I'm with you- how many anecdotes about basketball in the state of Indiana are warranted on a SLU basketball message board?

Unfortunately, because of Homer Drew, EVERYTHING Valpo-related can eventually be tied back to St. Louis, and hence SLU, through enough degrees of separation. It's worse than Kevin Bacon.