SIUE

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While it would be kind of cool to take an easy trip over the river and watch the team play a "road game," the extremely low RPI of SIUE makes me question wasting a road game by playing them in a home and home.

Essentially A buy game without having to pay

Yeah, except SLU has to give season ticket holders X number of home games, so it's likely we'll end up getting the same number of buy games, plus this game.

If you're going to play a non-home game, I'm not sure doing it against a plus 300 RPI is good scheduling.

Yeah, except SLU has to give season ticket holders X number of home games, so it's likely we'll end up getting the same number of buy games, plus this game. If you're going to play a non-home game, I'm not sure doing it against a plus 300 RPI is good scheduling.

Hopefully this replaces Illinois Springfield.

Yeah, except SLU has to give season ticket holders X number of home games, so it's likely we'll end up getting the same number of buy games, plus this game. If you're going to play a non-home game, I'm not sure doing it against a plus 300 RPI is good scheduling.

i've never seen anything in my season tix that guarantees me x number of games.

-we seem to always have a couple of low rpi teams on the schedule, intentional or not, so this shouldn't kill us

-should be cheap travel

-does this guarantee siue a sell out?

-not sure i want a long term series with them, but is this the situation where a 2 or 3 for 1 makes sense?

I like it as a "buy" game for home. I am not sure how I feel about it as a road game.

Hopefully the cost savings in not having to pay travel and lodging for this buy game will allow us to get some better quality buy games. Wasn't the buy game budget a topic of contention a few weeks ago? If there is a set pot of money for buy games, replacing one with this and dropping another would allow the remaining buy games to be higher dollar thus higher(150-225 RPI) quality teams.

shoot I would rather see a home and home against semo, or maybe a closer sec team like arky.

I'm sure if we just call Arkansas up we can get a home and home with them. :rolleyes:

Gotta agree with my brother here as I'm not sure why this game would get scheduled as a home and home. We are basically throwing away the revenue from a home game by substituting a road game at SIUE with a home game against any other buy team. I suspect there is more to it then we know.

p.s. it should be noted this is just a rumor, and not a fact at this point.

i am not convinced that we make much of any revenue on buy games. for all we know, siue might actually be paying us to come play them. we undoubtedly would be their highest profile game and guarantee them a sell out likely. i believe murray was their only sell out last year.

SIUE has a gym that holds around 4K - seems I saw that when they sold out against Murray St. My guess is we would not get to buy tix so it would be filled with SIUE fans only. We are assured that we will have 16 home games - not sure if that includes exhibs or not. If we were not then we could have simply skipped the IL Springfld game last year. I have heard the AD talk about the need to provide a certain amount of home games to justify the total cost of season tix. I have little interest in playing them away - it might interest RM since there would not be any travel but it will be a killer RPI wise. 7k home attendance at $20 per tix avg. that is worth $140K tix revenue - while the AD does not get the concession and parking revenue it does go to the pay off of the arena so that is worth something to SLU. Lets say you pay 50K for a buy game then even having the costs of opening the arena factored in you will still make plenty of money. Even if you have to pay 75K you will still come out ahead.

i am not convinced that we make much of any revenue on buy games. for all we know, siue might actually be paying us to come play them. we undoubtedly would be their highest profile game and guarantee them a sell out likely. i believe murray was their only sell out last year.

I am convinced we make quite a bit on buy games and we have to have a bunch of them to make the new arena finances work.

I hope we make some money if we are going to play SIUE, otherwise it doesn't sound too exciting. Chris May said today that Santa Clara and Murray St. might be the two preliminary games in the Thanksgiving tourney. Those two sound like good tilts.

And he's going to schedule a RPI 300 or D2 opponent around exam week. We should be used to the idea by now.

We should be used to the idea of scheduling home and homes with sub 300 RPI teams?!?

I've got no problem with playing them at chaifetz, but really don't see why we play over there, if this rumor is indeed true.

Semi related; we were all told two years ago the Chicago st game was a home and home. What ever happened to te return game?

If we are going to ***** about certain area schools not scheduling a home and home with us............. we should be willing to bite the bullet and schedule a home and home with an area team every now and then even if we believe they are below us.

If we are going to ***** about certain area schools not scheduling a home and home with us............. we should be willing to bite the bullet and schedule a home and home with an area team every now and then even if we believe they are below us.

This is a very interesting take.

We can't be the one bitching that we can't schedule a series with Mizzou and at the same time go 'no deal' when a local D-1 team wants to schedule a series with us. Personally, I am not all that thrilled with a home-and-home with SIUE. However, if we are going to talk smack about schools ducking us and not allowing us to sit at their table, we can't at the same time 'big time' other schools who are trying their damndest to improve their schedule by trying to play us. Basically, if it is perfectly fine for us to refuse a series with SIUE or Bradley or any other lower RPI school based on lack of upside, then SLU is basically playing the same game that Mizzou played with SLU before. And, we felt that was crap at the time.

We can't be the one bitching that we can't schedule a series with Mizzou and at the same time go 'no deal' when a local D-1 team wants to schedule a series with us. Personally, I am not all that thrilled with a home-and-home with SIUE. However, if we are going to talk smack about schools ducking us and not allowing us to sit at their table, we can't at the same time 'big time' other schools who are trying their damndest to improve their schedule by trying to play us. Basically, if it is perfectly fine for us to refuse a series with SIUE or Bradley or any other lower RPI school based on lack of upside, then SLU is basically playing the same game that Mizzou played with SLU before. And, we felt that was crap at the time.

completely agree. i'd rather play the regional teams than play any of the stupid buy games. 6 is flat out dumb. two or three is tolerable.

completely agree. i'd rather play the regional teams than play any of the stupid buy games. 6 is flat out dumb. two or three is tolerable.

Just to be clear Roy, you'd prefer to play the following 6 games?

SEMO, Eastern Illinois, SIUE at home and @ UMKC, @ Western Illinois and @ Chicago St. (flip the locations the following year)

over

6 buy games against Tenn St., Vermont, Alabama St., Arkansas St., Texas Southern and Ill Springfield (p.s. last year our buy game opponents had RPIs of 107, 134, 308, 222, 234 and N/A).

And to follow-up from your thought earlier in this thread, you believe its basically profit neutral to play those 6 games in either fashion?

But how many of those do you have to play? We already have a home and home set up with SIU and they'll likely suck for a long time. I'm sure SEMO, UMKC and the rest of the low D1 teams around here also want to play home and homes with us. We just wrapped up a home and home with Portland that worked out poorly and still have the LMU one to finish. I want to add big-time home and homes that will get the fans excited, not ones like this. Games like New Mexico, Washington, etc. Fewer games like Portland, Bowling Green, Loyola Maramount, etc. Why anybody would be excited about a home and home with SIUE is beyond me.

A top 25 team dodging a top 50 team is a little different than a top 50 team dodging a team sub 300.

Doing a home and home with a SIUE or a SEMO once every five years isn't going to hurt the program.

OK. Well I'm just glad to know that the SLU basketball program is so well off financially that we don't need the extra revenue from the home game we are throwing away and that losing guys like Harriman because of finances was just a one time deal and any other nickle and diming by the athletic department is just pure rumor.