Majerus on 590 today: talking about 2 recruits and 2 frosh

Majerus said the recruit from Indy is on a HS team with w/ another kid who is going to Indiana---and the SLU recruit is better. Who is he?

Also referenced a Chicago-area recruit who will play immediately.

He also said there are two freshman on this year's team that will make everyone wonder, next year, why they never got in this year. Who?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Majerus said the recruit from Indy is on a HS team with w/ another kid who is going to Indiana---and the SLU recruit is better. Who is he?

Our guy is Jared Drew.

Keith Carter

He also said there are two freshman on this year's team that will make everyone wonder, next year, why they never got in this year. Who?

One has to be John Manning, I'm guessing the other is Grandy Glaze.

1. Collin Hartman is the other Cathedral (Indianapolis) player who is going to Indiana and plays with Jared Drew. Both were named First Team All-City.

2. Keith Carter, Proviso East.

3. John Manning and Grandy Glaze.

Rick likes to pump up incoming recruits and freshmen (particularly those that are riding the pine). That being said, I have heard that he truly does think Manning and Glaze will be good and it isn't just hyperbole.

I can't comment on the recruits, but it sounds like Carter is the real deal and from what I've seen and heard of Drew, a good comparison would be Evans with more of an outside game.

RM certainly has his quirks and you always have to take what he says with a grain of salt but he really is excited about these incoming kids and has gone out of his way to talk about Manning and Glaze. I'm sure the latter is done to make sure they know playing time is coming down the road, they just need to be patient.

1. Collin Hartman is the other Cathedral (Indianapolis) player who is going to Indiana and plays with Jared Drew. Both were named First Team All-City.

As an Indiana fan, I can say that Hartman is the least exciting of the recruits Tom Crean will be bringing in over the next 3 years. Hes not one of the players coming in next year that is top 5 nationally. That being said, Jared Drew has proven time and time again in both HS and his AAU team that he is the real deal and is absolutely better than Hartman. Brad Stevens started to come on strong for him before his commitment to SLU. Has improved exponentially over the last year+. Id be really excited for his arrival. He brings a dimension we dont currently have on this roster. A lanky, athletic 3.

RM certainly has his quirks and you always have to take what he says with a grain of salt but he really is excited about these incoming kids and has gone out of his way to talk about Manning and Glaze. I'm sure the latter is done to make sure they know playing time is coming down the road, they just need to be patient.

With all the talent we have coming back and the two new guys who are not only excellent players but also are playing for excellent teams and will know how to fit into a winning atmosphere with other good players--next year really looks good. If Manning can really progress over the summer I can see him getting real minutes in the rotation with Brian graduating. With Loe and Ellis putting on muscle and Evans getting bigger and stronger--adding an improved Manning to the mix will give us a nice mix of bigs, much like RM's teams in Utah--with Rob and Cody as potentially excellent 3 point shooters who can also defend and go into the post as necessary. Both Carter and Drew are reputed to be athletic and good defenders so they will help make practice a real battle. Go Bills!

With Carter coming in, and Mitchell, Jett and McCall already established, will Barnett and Tselentakis get any minutes at all? Can't see us using more than four guards in the rotation next year.

So top nine next year certainly includes Mitchell, McCall, Jett, Loe, Evans and Ellis. And probably Remeken.

Boy want a battle for the other two spots if RM is to have a nine man rotation again this year. Can't really see him going much deeper than that.

I say Carter and Manning get the next two spots. If anyone else gets time it has be be Drew.

So if that is the case then Barnett, Tselentakis and Glaze battle for the other spots. Boy, am I glad we are over with the Uncle Brad days when he would tell kids he would not recruit over them. Competition breds success.

It is an exciting time to be a Billiken fan. Looks like RM is setting us up to be successful year after year.

Jared Drew Highlight reel:

I remember being really excited about DE when he was recruited while MM (who turned out to be great) was getting all the attention. I am equally excited about Drew - imagine a DE that's a threat from 3?!?!?!!? We have a lot of fun left in this season, but next year is going to be even more fun.

With Carter coming in, and Mitchell, Jett and McCall already established, will Barnett and Tselentakis get any minutes at all? Can't see us using more than four guards in the rotation next year.

So top nine next year certainly includes Mitchell, McCall, Jett, Loe, Evans and Ellis. And probably Remeken.

Boy want a battle for the other two spots if RM is to have a nine man rotation again this year. Can't really see him going much deeper than that.

I say Carter and Manning get the next two spots. If anyone else gets time it has be be Drew.

So if that is the case then Barnett, Tselentakis and Glaze battle for the other spots. Boy, am I glad we are over with the Uncle Brad days when he would tell kids he would not recruit over them. Competition breds success.

It is an exciting time to be a Billiken fan. Looks like RM is setting us up to be successful year after year.

I think Cory is going to have to improvea lot to get much clock after Christmas next year.

So Manning looks frail. He is listed at 230 lbs. Hopefully he will be 245 lbs by the start of next season.

What I like about Manning is that he can really run the floor and looks reasonably athletic. RM can do wonders with that type of make-up.

Manning does run very well, he does not look like a 6' 11" guy when he runs......Loe Lumbers compared to Manning.

Manning has a nice touch too. His midrange shot looks good and he looks like he has a promising hook shot(Loe showed a nice left-handed hook last game). The biggest problem I have seen in Manning's brief minutes is ball security. He looks like he panics when pressured with the ball. Hopefully experience will remedy that.

When watching warmups before the X game, ET actually stood out to me. He seems to be almost as tall as Glaze and is more athletic than I thought. I think he has a frame that could add some muscle. Definitely a bigger wing guy. I believe Majerus is looking for taller wing guys and redshirting them to get better at their outside skills. He probably would redshirt Manning and Glaze if he could do it over again.

Majerus speaks about kids talent and what they could be in a year or two. When they hit the floor, he then shifts into their weaknesses in his sound bites. From the sound of it, I believe he thinks Manning has Reed type of talent but can sit his Freshman year since he has some upperclassmen ahead of him, unlike Reed his 1st year.

My guess is that they will go with DE and JB at the 3 next year and KM, JJ, and MM will split time at 1 and 2. I just don't think the Freshmen will play D the way Majerus wants it played out of the gate to justify a lot of playing time. I remember Majerus said that he would sit KM his Freshmen year if he could have afforded it. But if Carter comes out like Augustine or Collison or something like that, it could obviously change things (think that is a longshot).