OT: Temple in Big East Talks

slufan13

I am saying if A-10 es-plodes, its back to The MVC for us as best choice. With Dayton, X hopefully.

It is clearly as good of a league as the A-10, but with great rivalries, geography, identity, it is our speed. Students and other fans identify with The MVC, keep up with it.

We are not the Boise State football team, Roy, or AZ State in the Pac-10 flying up to Seattle. Those are the big leagues. BCS.

And it is a reach, Biondi nonsense, to say playing sports in the A-10 helps our base student recruiting, we will fill the classrooms either way.

And it is very, very arrogant to call The MVC Hooterville. Who tf are you? By they way, many have gone to the NCAA's more recently than us, Sweet 16 for Drake, SIUC, and Bradley, correct?

Everyone on this board who hopes for a theoretical new perfect conference (SLU-DePaul-Creigh-Marq-Dayton-X) with choice catholic schools, I say, I hope so, but you are dreaming, especially if you think ND would get in a league with us.

We are MVC speed, that is us.

We got lucky and got RM. And briansl good try but facts are facts don't compare RM to Spoon, RM inherited a bigger mess and got John Cooked right when the team would have peaked and still recovered. I hope RM is able to stay another 3-4 yrs, but I am not so sure he will be able to do so.

And after that, I am not so sure we will continue at this level. Perhaps we will.

(briansl not following your one point but we are somewhere in mid late 20's to low 30's ranking now, I still say it is cool to see us # 10 with KenPom a few other flawed sytems but they are not correct. We sweep the last 3, win the A-10 tourney, get to the Elite 8, hey, then we are top 10.)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that SLU was trying to compete as a national university and actually become more prestigious. Playing in the Valley is a huge step back from this goal. While the A-10 sucks for travel at least we get some exposure in huge east coast cities. I could care less what people in tier-three Midwestern towns think, we need to expand the SLU brand to the big boys. If you want local games go watch your high school play your cross town high school and then remember that no one outside of your little bubble cares about it.

STOP THINKING SMALL TIME

You are so self-righteous it makes me want to puke. I guess there are no smart or deserving students in Iowa, out state Missouri, or Illinois. We definitely need to continue our relationship with the A-10 so we can recruit all of the East Coast geniuses who want to come to SLU because they saw our soccer team play UMass. That way we can fill all of the interview slots for the Presidential Scholarship with kids from Boston, New York, and Philadelphia.

of course there is. i am sure a 200 mile radius is still our core student base. but the facts are that the fastest growing areas of student enrollment are the east coasts metropolitan areas, and ohio . if you want to call that self-righteous so be it.

i can tell you that a couple of weekends ago when i assisted with presidential scholarships, out of the eight candidates i talked to, only two were within same day driving distance. sure that is a small sample size, but i seriously doubt slu folks said, "give billiken roy all the east coast kids to talk to."

I was under the impression that SLU was trying to compete as a national university and actually become more prestigious. Playing in the Valley is a huge step back from this goal. While the A-10 sucks for travel at least we get some exposure in huge east coast cities. I could care less what people in tier-three Midwestern towns think, we need to expand the SLU brand to the big boys. If you want local games go watch your high school play your cross town high school and then remember that no one outside of your little bubble cares about it.

STOP THINKING SMALL TIME

+100000

We move to MVC, we have given up. I can damn well assure you that SLU will never be a powerhouse....athletically or academically.

the attitude some of you are prevailing with no vision, no dream. just slu is what it is accept it is very discouraging. i am reminded of what slu was prior to biondi coming to st louis. what if biondi wouldnt have had the vision of expansion, improvement, upgrades in quality? my gosh, slu would probably not even be a division one program. some of you might think i am "self righteous" or arrogant thinking. i say i have a vision that slu is more than just whatever it is now. i want to truly be the greatest catholic university in america and think we should take whatever steps are necessary to spread that vision to everyone concerned and act like we care. i dont want to accept the step down so i can drive to carbondale. if that annoys some of you, so be it. i have no intention of speaking about the future in a greater sense than some of you. we can be more than what we already are. but we wont ever get there if we dont have the courage to be more and try.

But we won with Spoon and that was my point. We can win without Rickma. You seem to believe it is back to the Ekker days without Rickma.

I agree, we would not necassarily collapse to hell without RM.

And we COULD be fortunate and get a perfect strong coach to keep it going. I just am not confident that we could get someone that could keep us at these levels, there would be slippage.

Roy, it is the problem with this whole metro area. Anyone that thinks of a grand future for St. Louis gets ridiculed. Why we ridicule people who actually have a vision for the future of this area we continue to fall behind other areas that embrace a vision for the future.

the attitude some of you are prevailing with no vision, no dream. just slu is what it is accept it is very discouraging. i am reminded of what slu was prior to biondi coming to st louis. what if biondi wouldnt have had the vision of expansion, improvement, upgrades in quality? my gosh, slu would probably not even be a division one program. some of you might think i am "self righteous" or arrogant thinking. i say i have a vision that slu is more than just whatever it is now. i want to truly be the greatest catholic university in america and think we should take whatever steps are necessary to spread that vision to everyone concerned and act like we care. i dont want to accept the step down so i can drive to carbondale. if that annoys some of you, so be it. i have no intention of speaking about the future in a greater sense than some of you. we can be more than what we already are. but we wont ever get there if we dont have the courage to be more and try.

Well said Roy! Couldn't agree more.

I do not understand, nor will I ever accept, the prevailing "we are what we are" mindset.

I agree, we would not necassarily collapse to hell without RM.

And we COULD be fortunate and get a perfect strong coach to keep it going. I just am not confident that we could get someone that could keep us at these levels, there would be slippage.

Slippage to what? Right now you think we are in the 25-30 range. I think with the top flight facilities and the foundation that Rickma is building that a top 50 program is very realistic after Rickma leaves. We will never be KU, but I think consistent NCAA appearances and a good tournament run every few years is where we will be.

I am saying if A-10 es-plodes, its back to The MVC for us as best choice. With Dayton, X hopefully.

It is clearly as good of a league as the A-10, but with great rivalries, geography, identity, it is our speed. Students and other fans identify with The MVC, keep up with it.

-mb, can you find any national bball follower that shares your opinion of the equality of the a10 and mvc? i think you are in a group of one

Please quit with the ... so we can travel argument. SLU fans don't travel. We only get 2 bus loads to go to freaking Carbondale. What's that 150 people and we only get that because it's one of very few trips. We have never traveled well in the past and we won't do it in the future. Hell back in CUSA days the Billiken Club organized a trip to Memphis and there was maybe 100-125 people. 500 Billiken fans aren't going to Cedar Rapids or Bloomington Illinois.

How about this, instead of SLU moving to the MVC, MB73 moves to the MVC message boards. He can argue about why number crunchers don't get it with Walmart greeters from Wichita. He can create conspiracy theories with former coal miners from Carbondale. He'll be right at home.

RM inherited a bigger mess and got John Cooked right when the team would have peaked and still recovered.

"John Cooked"...well played, MB.

(briansl not following your one point but we are somewhere in mid late 20's to low 30's ranking now, I still say it is cool to see us # 10 with KenPom a few other flawed sytems but they are not correct. We sweep the last 3, win the A-10 tourney, get to the Elite 8, hey, then we are top 10.)

So you agree with Kenpom and the other flawed systems then?

Please quit with the ... so we can travel argument. SLU fans don't travel. We only get 2 bus loads to go to freaking Carbondale. What's that 150 people and we only get that because it's one of very few trips. We have never traveled well in the past and we won't do it in the future. Hell back in CUSA days the Billiken Club organized a trip to Memphis and there was maybe 100-125 people. 500 Billiken fans aren't going to Cedar Rapids or Bloomington Illinois.

150 is still better than 30

That is 13 teams. You can always have another team be potentially added into this conference (Butler would be the best possible choice, naturally) to make it 14. If you are able to get Butler into the mix, then you have a really good conference, one that would be considered superior to the A-10 as it stands now. But, even if Butler wouldn't come along, it would still be a good conference. And for those concerned about the 'public' universities involved with this conference, you would actually have more private institutions (7) than state schools (6) under this configuration. Add Butler, and it becomes 8 to 6.

As a Butler fan, I would love to see them get in the A10, but I don't think it will happen. They seem to be quite content staying in the Horizon League, and as much as I don't like it, you can't exactly say it's held them back the past few years. Last year they might not have even made the dance if they were in a better league, and they will have to win the league tournament to get back this year (obviously this would be much more difficult in the A10. Conference would probably need to be split up into regions to minimize travel in order to get Butler to join.

some of you might think i am "self righteous" or arrogant thinking. i say i have a vision that slu is more than just whatever it is now.

I called you self righteous because you characterized the Missouri Valley as hooterville. Not sure if you realize it, but you live in the Missouri Valley (as evidenced by the fact that the MVC tournament is in St. Louis.) I have no quarrel with you wanting SLU to be the best Catholic university in the US. That sounds like a great goal.

Slippage to what? Right now you think we are in the 25-30 range. I think with the top flight facilities and the foundation that Rickma is building that a top 50 program is very realistic after Rickma leaves. We will never be KU, but I think consistent NCAA appearances and a good tournament run every few years is where we will be.

Maybe, but you might want to think about SLU's NCAA experience the past 40 years, as well as Utah's after Rick left, before making the assumption that this season's level of play will be the norm after Rick leaves. I hope so, but I'm not confident.

Fans:

A-10 last 3-4 yrs has been 0.01 or so better than MVC in RPI. Right now, 0.0077. Big deal. Before that, MVC had a run of superiority. RM was quoted as saying MVC was playing as good of a brand of hoops as The A-10. RI? GW? Fordham? Charlotte? Richmond? It is cyclical, teams come and they go, Hobbs. Temple and X are the only consistent teams, maybe Dayton. In MVC, Drake, Bradley, SIUC made the Sweet 16 in the last 8 yrs... and we mock them? No Ia, Witch St have done well, too. They have 10 teams so 40% less opportunity than A-10 with 14 teams to crack the BCS barriers. I gotta like a guy who lives in Belleville calling MVC Hooterville.

Traveling to the games is not the big reason to join the MVC, it is a minor factor, down the list... but all the pile on artists in the anti reality club here like to bring this up like it is the key. It is not. Just a perk.

No, of course I do agree with KenPom and Sagarin and The Wiz. Margin of victory? Michigan beats Ohio State by 5, we beat Fordham by 20, we are 10th, Michigan is 21st in KenPom. We are 10th, Temple is 31st. Balderdash, and you know it is.

FYI, I have not gone to one MVC Tourney game... not a fan. No friends on the MVC committees or whatever. Just saying, all along, we should have been in MVC and if Temple leaves and the A-10 blows up like The Rammer is speculating, we go back there, where we belong. Reality.

I've used this as an example before.

MO State got left home from the dance with a 21 RPI because they "didn't play anybody." Even if the Billikens did soften up their non-conference schedule playing Xavier, Temple, and Dayton is a better eye test than anything the valley has to offer.

A 21 RPI in the A10 would never be so disrespected.

I don't know how this evolved into a straight MVC vs. A-10 discussion, but I do believe that the A-10 without X, UD, and Temple is inferior to the MVC as a basketball conference. Throw in geography, the A-10's crappy television contract, and their crappy officials, it's even more favorable towards the MVC.

Hopefully, Temple will stay or the A-10 will add Butler or another quality bball only program.

I don't know how this evolved into a straight MVC vs. A-10 discussion, but I do believe that the A-10 without X, UD, and Temple is inferior to the MVC as a basketball conference. Throw in geography, the A-10's crappy television contract, and their crappy officials, it's even more favorable towards the MVC.

I generally agree with this. I think whichever conference has X and UD makes it the better choice (kind of a "duh" comment).

But you raise a bigger point, does the MVC have a better TV deal for SLU? It seems MVC games are generally on Fox Sports MW at the same time we are scrambling to find SLU on some online stream.

I don't watch enough...err...any MVC games. Are the officials any better?