A-10 top 100 RPI

AMDG

Reason why reducing the size of the band is a nonstarter: THEY'VE BEEN THERE. Week in, week out, year in, year out, ever since the Polish director guy managed to throw together a rag-tag band of students and alumni to ensure that fans would never again have to endure the "Trumpeteers." You want their seats, EARN THEM. That'll only take you, at minimum, a decade.

Moving them up a few rows is an interesting concept -- there's a section behind them where they won't seat anyone save for the top row, because of the tubas -- but do you really think anyone would want to sit directly in front of them?

Ok, everybody, I have a little explaining to do. The Dude and I sit together at every game; actually, we've known each other since kindergarten or the first grade, I'm not sure which. He is only bringing this subject up to get my goat, as he has slowly been driving me crazy for over 40 years. Considering that he used to drink beers out of the iced up trap case at the old Kiel, he should love the band. We were a ragtag but kick ass bunch back then, and all this time later Mike and the band are the best thing (aside from the team) about the SLU gameday experience. So for HavelJ, and Nick and Perry and Whitey and Steck and all the old timers who started the thing, this Bud's for you. And Bonwich, you wouldn't believe how pissed off some of those old trumpeteers were when we kicked them upstairs to the blue hair seats. They were bad, and we were the new thing. Mike B. is sort of like Letterman, he just keeps putting out good product all these years later. And Dude, you can suck it!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My only problem with the band is that when I finally have a quiet moment to yell something at the ref, they start to play a song and I can't let the ref know how terrible he is.

The SLU band has a history of breaking into a song right when the student section and the crowd really start getting into.

There is no way the band should move.

Our student section is brutal. They occasionally make noise when there's a big play and have a bunch of signs during free throws, but I can't think of a single original cheer that the "Slunatics" have come up with in the last four years. We are Saint Louis I heard for the first time at ND, G-O Saint Louis GO is said by male cheerleaders around the planet.... The cheer after a foul, after someone fouls out, and the gator chomp are all thanks to the band. Am I missing anything?

Our student section is brutal. They occasionally make noise when there's a big play and have a bunch of signs during free throws, but I can't think of a single original cheer that the "Slunatics" have come up with in the last four years. We are Saint Louis I heard for the first time at ND, G-O Saint Louis GO is said by male cheerleaders around the planet.... The cheer after a foul, after someone fouls out, and the gator chomp are all thanks to the band. Am I missing anything?

When is the student section supposed to get a cheer going?

Every moment of time to get a cheer going is either filled with some stupid commercial billed as a contest/kiss cam/ etc, basketball toss, our the band playing.

We were a ragtag but kick ass bunch back then, and all this time later Mike and the band are the best thing (aside from the team) about the SLU gameday experience. So for HavelJ, and Nick and Perry and Whitey and Steck and all the old timers who started the thing, this Bud's for you. And Bonwich, you wouldn't believe how pissed off some of those old trumpeteers were when we kicked them upstairs to the blue hair seats. They were bad, and we were the new thing. Mike B. is sort of like Letterman, he just keeps putting out good product all these years later.

Long Live and All Hail Maestro Beczkala!

Ive never understood the gator chomp.

Why are we stealing ideas from Flordia fans?

As for as I know the gator chomp has nothing to do with SLU.

I like most things that the studnets and band do but it would be nice to see something original.

I like most things that the studnets and band do but it would be nice to see something original.

That one has never made sense to me either.

Student section originality is like hollywood originality. Is there one movie every so often that is original? Yes. Are most movies cookie cutter movies with names places and events changes? Yes.

Band do something original?

Have you seen when the tubas go to center court to start the "This Bud's For You" song? What other school does that?

Have you heard the conches roar after a 3-pointer?

I, for serious, think they need to get some pointers from the high schools. How were the the high school's ( De Smet, Sluh, Chaminade, CBC) cheers so much better... went to college and it wasnt nearly as fun or as much of a dig to the opponent.

I dont even remember what game it was, but my favorite SLUnatics memory was a couple years ago when they were yelling at the opposing coach about looking like Steve Harvey and shopping at mens warehouse. I laughed all night at that. :)

Band do something original?

Have you seen when the tubas go to center court to start the "This Bud's For You" song? What other school does that?

Have you heard the conches roar after a 3-pointer?

Yeah Ive alway thought that was pretty awesome.

Another disappointing thing about the AB sale is that the studnets dont yell "AB STL MO" anymore.

But that is one of the better SLU basketball traditions.

I, for serious, think they need to get some pointers from the high schools. How were the the high school's ( De Smet, Sluh, Chaminade, CBC) cheers so much better... went to college and it wasnt nearly as fun or as much of a dig to the opponent.

I dont even remember what game it was, but my favorite SLUnatics memory was a couple years ago when they were yelling at the opposing coach about looking like Steve Harvey and shopping at mens warehouse. I laughed all night at that. :)

That's what I've always wondered - how a bunch of kids who spent four years going to high school basketball games where the atmosphere is pretty insane can't seem to bring that craziness with them to SLU.

Band do something original? Have you seen when the tubas go to center court to start the "This Bud's For You" song? What other school does that? Have you heard the conches roar after a 3-pointer?

band started the conch shells after a 3. band this year does the "dwaynes world, dwaynes world" after a dwayne evans score.

think about all the "hey baby's" over the years. btw, we should have a "hey baby" AT LEAST once a game.

this all said, i am thrilled with the advancements our student section has made over the last say 8 years. it has been gradual, but it wasnt all that long ago that the student section was night after night nothing more than a library study group for about 15 students.

Ok, everybody, I have a little explaining to do. The Dude and I sit together at every game; actually, we've known each other since kindergarten or the first grade, I'm not sure which. He is only bringing this subject up to get my goat, as he has slowly been driving me crazy for over 40 years. Considering that he used to drink beers out of the iced up trap case at the old Kiel, he should love the band. We were a ragtag but kick ass bunch back then, and all this time later Mike and the band are the best thing (aside from the team) about the SLU gameday experience. So for HavelJ, and Nick and Perry and Whitey and Steck and all the old timers who started the thing, this Bud's for you. And Bonwich, you wouldn't believe how pissed off some of those old trumpeteers were when we kicked them upstairs to the blue hair seats. They were bad, and we were the new thing. Mike B. is sort of like Letterman, he just keeps putting out good product all these years later. And Dude, you can suck it!

Why, of course I would, because I was actually "in" the Band in those days. "In," because I was the honorary tambourine player -- the bass player's name was Pete, and he and I, too, go back to grade school. After I came back from grad school I was a tad broke. I occasionally got press credentials, but one semester when I didn't, Pete and I were riding together and he told me to go in with him through that back entrance and say I was "with the band." The tambourine got added when an usher got nosy and wondered why I was standing there all the time. (We later settled on me adjusting Pete's amp before every game and telling the usher I was doing sound.)

If you've been around that long, you are a Billiken god and should retain your honored seat in the band section for the rest of your days. :)

+1.

Band and students, I love you, but please, please stop this. Makes us look second-rate.