SLU Law moving downtown

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for her. Finally someone tells biondi to shove it. This is the exact way he runs the athletic department and is probably the main reason why our academic rankings as a whole have been slipping.

++

That letter is scathing. How are they going to fill her position now, in light of all this?

++

That letter is scathing. How are they going to fill her position now, in light of all this?

Yeah this will set the law school back even further. Sad thing is Biondi won't even blink an eye at this. Just keep doing what he's doing. Don Larry

Why do I get the feeling that every Dean in the university could write a similar letter.

Nearly every middle manager at every firm or corporation in America could write a similiar letter at the present time. Must be nice to be able to afford to burn a bridge so completely...........

-wow, i guess she posted the letter and that is how it became public, as Billiken rich said a complete bridge burning EXCEPT she says she will keep her faculty position, not quite sure how this is possible or how long the U will allow this, does it show more if she left the U as opposed to still being employed by it?? to me it would have, a big step no doubt but could have been more powerful if she left

-can it be true that SLU gets the gift of the bldg downtown and FrB declares it to be the new home of the law school without the law school knowing about it??

would

That would not surprise me one bit.

me either. The downtown law school thing (while I think overall pretty good for the university) was from left field. The announcement was that it was to open this fall -- a ridiculous time frame if you have seen the state of the building and have considered all the things that would have to be done to make that happen. That got walked back to next year. It sounded anything but methodically planned out.

How soon before the, "Yeah, but the campus is SO much nicer now then when I went there 30 years ago" argument?

I'm also curious, A-Bomb, to see what his response is, if any. But what could the other side be- that none of these things happened? That the $260,000 he transferred from the law school to his own discretionary fund was just coincidentally in the amount of 20 summer research stipends? That informing the law school dean 3 days ahead of the public that the new downtown building would be the new law school counts as a mutual decision? He's got a lot of explaining to do- or he would, if he were ever held accountable by anyone for anything.

when I was part of SBA Biondi told us "I don't give a damn about the law school." It (like many other law schools, to be fair) has been viewed as a revenue generator for the university and not much more by those outside of the law school administration. In 2005, when I graduated, we were ranked in the top 80, now we're what, 105? Michigan State, my "if nobody else accepts me I'll go there" school was 4th tier in 2002, now they're above SLU. I applaud what the Dean did here but unless things significantly change they will have one hell of a tough time getting anyone worth a damn to take the position.

it would be nice if when I tell people I went to law school "at Saint Louis" for the response to not be "Oh, Wash U?"

Don't be so sure.

Posted Image

little orphan annie sleeps with the fishes. biondi will kill her himself, in public. biondi don't give a FUOK. got his windows down and his system up. sprayin' all over motherfuokers from up high. no mercy. hope fools is thirsty.

Posted Image

This happens to the Athletic Department more then people would want to believe

That's my fear- that it's not just the law school (at least twice, per the letter), but every department. How can Biondi get away with taking huge lumps from individual departments' funds and putting them in his own discretionary fund? He apparently answers to no one. I honestly don't have a strong grasp of how the Jesuits operate, but doesn't he report to a larger province? Do they weigh in on matters at each university at all or do the presidents make their own decisions? Is there any review process?

He appears to have fleeced the law school for $1,060,000, and that's just what her letter details. I really wonder how much he takes from other departments to pad his own fund. And I wonder how this is possibly acceptable to the Jesuits.

There are a couple other things that stand out to me from this letter, aside from the larger questions about how SLU's president operates.

For one, I could not believe he insisted that law professors have cubicles instead of offices. It's crazy that a school president would get into that level of detail for an individual school or department's new building. But it's disturbing that he'd treat tenured professors like interns. Certainly this would be unacceptable to the professors themselves and in the long run would be bad for morale, then retention, and definitely can't help the school's already plummeting ranking.

Second, and even more troubling, is that he'd de-fund summer research interns. A law school's ranking depends partly on the research done by its professors; if they don't have assistants, they're way more limited in the research they can do. To take this away because he's miffed at the dean (assuming her hunch is correct), Biondi's pettiness is directly hurting the law school's ranking.