PA announcer

HusakAttack

To everyone that thinks Guy Phillips is terrible-

Please be honest, did you think the guy last night was better?

IMO, the PA guy last night was terrible. Hard to listen to. I know everyone here hates on Guy because he makes some mistakes but at least he has character and presence and knows how to talk into a mic.

To everyone that thinks Guy Phillips is terrible-

Please be honest, did you think the guy last night was better?

IMO, the PA guy last night was terrible. Hard to listen to. I know everyone here hates on Guy because he makes some mistakes but at least he has character and presence and knows how to talk into a mic.

I feed the game stream to my flat screen. I could hear the announcer very clearly. I thought he sounded pretty good. No condescending attitude I feel Guy has.

last night's PA guy is still too reserved. i couldnt hear him all the time. and if we get another 3k in the place with even more enthusiasm, he wont cut it at all. that said, he is still an improvement over guy in context. and for anyone to say guy has more character than anyone not in prison or on reality tv is just wrong. maybe you meant to say "guy is a character"? i wouldnt argue that. i have no problem with saying last night's pa guy maybe isnt our anwer, but if push came to shove and i had to choose between one or the other, i'd take last night over guy in a second. i bet if you gave last night's pa guy time to develop he would be fine. guy's had the job for almost 20 years now and still sucks.

As Roy said, it's completely unfair to try to compare a single-game (or even two- or three-game) stand-in to a guy, so to speak, who should know the team and the facilities inside and out.

I'm guessing Randy didn't get any time with the sound system before they opened the Chaifetz doors. As the mix for the band over the first two seasons proved, the sound system didn't get a proportionate share of the facility's construction budget. Randy probably sounded great to himself, but there are lots of dead zones all over the arena. (He often sounded muffled in 106, but there were times when he was perfectly clear. A lot of it is figuring out how close to hug the mic and how hard you can spit out your p's, etc.

In any event, allowing Guy to take last night off for another job is disgraceful both for him and for the athletic department.

As Roy said, it's completely unfair to try to compare a single-game (or even two- or three-game) stand-in to a guy, so to speak, who should know the team and the facilities inside and out.

I'm guessing Randy didn't get any time with the sound system before they opened the Chaifetz doors. As the mix for the band over the first two seasons proved, the sound system didn't get a proportionate share of the facility's construction budget. Randy probably sounded great to himself, but there are lots of dead zones all over the arena. (He often sounded muffled in 106, but there were times when he was perfectly clear. A lot of it is figuring out how close to hug the mic and how hard you can spit out your p's, etc.

In any event, allowing Guy to take last night off for another job is disgraceful both for him and for the athletic department.

So what I am hearing is that Guy did the PA job for the MO/IL game? I agree you are either all in or all out. Tucci needs to let the AD search for a new PA person.

I love the enthusiasm on this board. I really do. And I have to tell you, I love the criticism more than the compliments. Makes me re-think how I do things as a PA Announcer. Makes me always want to improve and get better.

For those that don't know, I have regular PA gigs. Mizzou Football, River City Rascals baseball, UMSL basketball. I have done PA work since 2007. I was honored and humbled to be asked to sit in for Guy against Portland and Ark State. I sincerely appreciated the opportunity. Had fun.

I'll address a couple of the criticisms: First, the sound. That mic takes a lot to get used to. Its the hottest mic I have ever worked with. From high schools to UMSL, to TR Hughes ballpark, Faurot Field, Edward Jones Dome, Family Arena, and Mizzou Arena, worked all those venues. Chaifetz mic the hottest and most sensitive. P's and T's and hard C's came out popping. It was frustrating. But not because I was upset at the audio quality. I was more upset you guys had to listen to me adjusting on the fly. I apologize for that. I positioned that mic several times to get it to work with my voice tone. Had to be careful. Guy knows that system backwards and forwards. He is "the man" over there. Years of experience with SLU and at Chaifetz. Definitely makes a difference. I had some trouble. Sorry SLU fans to negatively effect the quality of your game experience. NOT SLU's fault. MINE for not adjusting properly.

Enthusiasm. As a PA Anncr you walk a fine line on being over the top enthusiastic bordering cheesy and remaining professionally enthusiastic. Sounds like you guys feel I could be more enthusiastic. That is duly noted, for possible future engagements. Great feedback.

And FYI. I did NOT feel like I sounded good during the game. I was constantly worried about the popping hard sounds, and adjusting mic position throughout. I know at the moment it happens when I make a mistake, pop a P or T, if the sound quality isn't great during an announcement.

I apologize for some of the shortcomings during my 2 stints as PA anncr. But I Had a blast. Even met 05 at halftime. He came up and said hello and gave me a compliment. Classy young man. it was a fun experience and hope to fill in again should Guy have another engagement. Stay passionate SLU fans. These are fun to read!

I love the enthusiasm on this board. I really do. And I have to tell you, I love the criticism more than the compliments. Makes me re-think how I do things as a PA Announcer. Makes me always want to improve and get better.

For those that don't know, I have regular PA gigs. Mizzou Football, River City Rascals baseball, UMSL basketball. I have done PA work since 2007. I was honored and humbled to be asked to sit in for Guy against Portland and Ark State. I sincerely appreciated the opportunity. Had fun.

I'll address a couple of the criticisms: First, the sound. That mic takes a lot to get used to. Its the hottest mic I have ever worked with. From high schools to UMSL, to TR Hughes ballpark, Faurot Field, Edward Jones Dome, Family Arena, and Mizzou Arena, worked all those venues. Chaifetz mic the hottest and most sensitive. P's and T's and hard C's came out popping. It was frustrating. But not because I was upset at the audio quality. I was more upset you guys had to listen to me adjusting on the fly. I apologize for that. I positioned that mic several times to get it to work with my voice tone. Had to be careful. Guy knows that system backwards and forwards. He is "the man" over there. Years of experience with SLU and at Chaifetz. Definitely makes a difference. I had some trouble. Sorry SLU fans to negatively effect the quality of your game experience. NOT SLU's fault. MINE for not adjusting properly.

Enthusiasm. As a PA Anncr you walk a fine line on being over the top enthusiastic bordering cheesy and remaining professionally enthusiastic. Sounds like you guys feel I could be more enthusiastic. That is duly noted, for possible future engagements. Great feedback.

And FYI. I did NOT feel like I sounded good during the game. I was constantly worried about the popping hard sounds, and adjusting mic position throughout. I know at the moment it happens when I make a mistake, pop a P or T, if the sound quality isn't great during an announcement.

I apologize for some of the shortcomings during my 2 stints as PA anncr. But I Had a blast. Even met 05 at halftime. He came up and said hello and gave me a compliment. Classy young man. it was a fun experience and hope to fill in again should Guy have another engagement. Stay passionate SLU fans. These are fun to read!

Classy post.

Thanks for the post.

Wish you got the FT job. Admire your willingness to learn and adjust.

for all the negatives posted, you were still better than guy. thanks for checking in.

You have to appreciate a PA announcer who is going to come onto this board and post something like this. I doubt that Guy even cares enough about the job to remotely consider what he needs to improve on. You sir are a class act. Looking forward to you doing the honors again at the 'Fetz in the near future.

I wasn't trying to be classy, but thanks for the compliments regarding my post.

I was one of those kids that mimicked and imitated PA Anncrs as a kid in my backyard with my brother. Whether playing baseball, football, wiffle ball, whatever it was. I would try to mimic those PA guys. Jim Holder from. the Big Red and Rams, Joel Meyers for the Cards in the early 80's. I love Tom Calhoun's work for the Blues, Randy Wright for Mizzou. I truly have a passion for this. We are blessed to have had great PA guys in this town.

I know I try to please everyone. I also know that isn't possible. Ha Ha. The ONLY way to improve ANYTHING you do in life is to be able to take constructive criticism, and get better because of it. So I love hearing/reading the negatives on my PA work. Thanks everybody. Good luck the rest of the season.

I don't think SLU realizes what a nice GP substitute they have. Curious, would you take the PA spot if Guy left?

I won't make any comments on what I would or wouldn't do in regards to someone else's job. Guy Phillips is the SLU basketball PA announcer. He is there for a reason, and is a SLU basketball institution. I am glad to have had the opportunity to fill in when he has other engagements. And schedule permitting would sub again if asked. Let's leave it at that. :)