recruiting

wgstl

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I "understand" too, roy, but I am now thinking, for some reason, we might be past that. As most know, I was thinking one more transfer last year, but was wrong and am thankful for that. I think the massive upheaval seen in the recent past is gone. Stabilization seems to have been achieved. Winning wil cement that,

For the record, I thought Jett would transfer. With Mitchell coming back and Barnett gaining eligilbility, it seemed, to me, JJ could be the odd man out.

You thought? Taj Mahal, you had his bags packed and the shuttle waiting outside his dorm to take him to the airport. :ph34r: :ph34r:

I hope they keep recruiting. Worst player on the roster gets the boot. If you don't want the boot, don't be the worst player. Seems pretty simple to me

I agree. But that dang APR thing might come into play, since we'd lose any control over the kid's keeping up w/ his academics, eg Brett Thompson. From what I gathered last week on this subject, we're on very thin ice with that whole APR thing.

I agree. But that dang APR thing might come into play, since we'd lose any control over the kid's keeping up w/ his academics, eg Brett Thompson. From what I gathered last week on this subject, we're on very thin ice with that whole APR thing.

Good point. The APR thing is something I find silly as there is obviously far too much room to manipulate it. However, it is what it is, so you're probably right we need to be careful

I hope they keep recruiting. Worst player on the roster gets the boot. If you don't want the boot, don't be the worst player. Seems pretty simple to me

The problem with this approach is we are already going to be below the required graduation rate by the NCAA. You can get a waiver but I doubt they will give you a waiver every year. With Barry Eberhardt not officially graduating until he pays for what he owes, he is still listed as a non graduate. Even RM at the Tip Off mtg acknowledged the problem does exist for us.

The problem with this approach is we are already going to be below the required graduation rate by the NCAA. You can get a waiver but I doubt they will give you a waiver every year. With Barry Eberhardt not officially graduating until he pays for what he owes, he is still listed as a non graduate. Even RM at the Tip Off mtg acknowledged the problem does exist for us.

see my post immediately above yours.

Not quite true, larry72. All I said was I expected one more --- and I never named names as I recall. I have now and I have explained why I thought that. I was also quite certain in that belief. I was wrong. How one takes that to me packing his or anyone else's bags and driving him to the airport, well, .... I guess, you're right.

Would it be a violation to waive what he owes and let him graduate?

Not quite true, larry72. All I said was I expected one more --- and I never named names as I recall. I have now and I have explained why I thought that. I was also quite certain in that belief. I was wrong. How one takes that to me packing his or anyone else's bags and driving him to the airport, well, .... I guess, you're right.

Call me telepathic, Taj. I couldn't recall if you named names, but I was thinking we were all pretty much thinking about the same kid. Glad he didn't, as I don't think we've seen the best of him. Just having a little fun wit' ya's all.

Taj, you named Jett in a number of threads last season or immediately after the season ended, saying that you thought he was a candidate to transfer. Below are 3 threads I was easily able to find using a simple search:

http://www.billikens...opic=20212&st=0

http://www.billikens...opic=20491&st=0

http://www.billikens...pic=20943&st=40

You definitely made it known that you felt that there would be a number of transfers, and that Jett was definitely a prime candidate to go. While you have indicated that you were wrong in that belief in this thread, you did previously name names on numerous occassions. No biggie, just was positive that I remembered you mentioning Jett by name.

Would it be a violation to waive what he owes and let him graduate?

Per the story that was relayed from a BillikenClub meeting (which could have been mis-interpreted) it probably would be a violation as he was given the money by the Athletic Department to pay for the class, spent it elsewhere and now doesn't have the money to graduate. If the school waived the fee for the class, it would effectively be as if the Athletic Department gave him cash. That only works at some schools :rolleyes:

Bigger picture, why does EVERY conversation about recruiting on this board have to turn into a "morality of players leaving the program" theme. We've got 3 schollys coming due in this junior class. What kids are we currently recruiting in the JUNIOR class?

Thanks, Mr. Bizzle. i stand corrected. I remember sitting with Sign Kid at the Smith Center in DC when I first predicted that. And I was wrong. I thought I was going to stay quiet until it happened. And I was wrong.

And overal lI'm happy to be wrong ---- still would like to see JJ up his FG/FT% but he's only a sophomore, right?

And overal lI'm happy to be wrong ---- still would like to see JJ up his FG/FT% but he's only a sophomore, right?

Completely agree on his FT %age, but what more do you expect from him on FG %age? He is shooting 54% overall and is 2-3 on 3 pointers. Take out the 3 pointers and he is shooting 53% on 2 point buckets.

Throw in a 2.5:1 Assist to TO ratio, excellent D, and 3.0 boards/game (about 5 boards per 40 min), i'm not sure what more we could ask from JJ (other than to improve his dreadful FT %age).