Majerus intensity

papal

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not agree with Roy at all on his views on Majerus, but to be honest, he was baited in this thread by SLU_Nick and then piled on by others when he gave his consistently typical answer. If you don't like Roy's views on Majerus, then don't egg him on into responding and then get bent out of shape when he says the same thing he has always said, and will continue to say if prodded.

I have had many interactions with coach. While I can understand people not liking him for his comments in the past regarding issues off-the-court... it's hard for me to side with you because these players obviously do not come to SLU expecting Rick to be the nice-guy coach. Conklin, along with every other recruit, on his visit sat and watched Rick during practice and knew exactly how things would be ran. Coach doesn't put on a different front just because some recruit is sitting in the stands...players and coaches know what they're getting playing for Rick but not every recruit can take the pressure he asks of all his players and coaches day in and day out. He hasn't intentionally run any of those players out of here, they just couldn't take the heat.

I've had my share of debate with BRoy, and I respect most everything he says. Hell, he and I are polar opposites on how we want the program to get to the promised land. That said, he's consistent with his views. I don't agree with some of them, but I like seeing what he has to say.

I support Roy. One of the innate things that enhances credibility is your consistency. Having said that, Roy has been nothing but consitsent in his view on this and some other subjects. I don't necessarily agree with that view but respect his entitlement to it.

This is a trap in the waiting ... a Division II school. During finals week. Their Super Boiwl as someone called it. Didn't Lenoir-Ryne or someone beat Syracuse in the Carrier Dome a year or two ago? Not that we are Syracuse but do-do happens.

This team, as with all Billiken teams before it, cannot win on talent-vs-talent alone. We all know that. I think it's a very nice wake-up call for this time of the year. We got off to a great start, got noticed, stumbled, and are now learning how to come back from that. We just learned that we have to bring it every night, no matter the opponent. Rick also leanred that he can't take a day off with our guys either. To work as it did against Washington, Boston College, Nova and Oklahoma, you need all guys on the floor and th ebench doing what they need to do. No days off.

My post definitely read as blatantly poking at the hornet’s nest but really it is frustrating for me not to see this issue from Roy’s side at all. Is it inconceivable to think he might start to lighten his stance a little?

Majerus has come a long way from the 20 point fiasco at GW when he refused to change his style to suit his players. I admit that was a low point and I was thinking to myself “he’s lost it”, “he’s too old”, “he can’t coach in today’s college basketball”, “Keith Van Horn isn’t walking through the door” , etc.

I refuse to indict a man for life because he called someone the C word 15 years ago. Everything he has done SINCE HE HAS BEEN OUR COACH has been nearly flawless or done with the intent of the long term vision that we are just starting to reap the benefits from. Currently we are winning AND have great young men representing our university on the basketball team. Isn’t that nirvana?

From my perspective it is ok to flip flop if the situation changes. The aura around RM and the program has changed dramatically since early 2009, therefore I believe it is allowed to reassess an opinion.

If this post is looked at as piling on than I apologize in advance.

Nick -- I think I sat with you at that GeeDub game, did I not? Roy will likely not change ... and it is okay to agree to disagree. I can also tell you that he would feel the same way if the man on the bench were named Knight, Harrick, Sampson or Sutton. For some, it's black and white -- with no shades of gray.

I am in the "In Rick I Trust" camp. I know what will sway the scale from one side or to the other for me in time. I am content to ride this horse into battle. Unfortunatley, only history and time will tell what's good for the program and that will take a few years. Grawer, for example, despite starting and finishing at 5 and 23 in his first and last years, will always be a positive for this program. Douglas, Gray and Bonner, despite never making the NCAAs, ditto. Claggs, Hmark and H --- way up. Hughes? Not so much. Spoon? Less than Grawer. Romar? Zip.

Enjoy the ride; don't sweat the things you can't change or just don't matter.

Roy did not like the way RM treated his Illinois boy Lisch, Majerus was unfortunately starting all over and Lisch was from the previous regime, it happens in sports and in companies, all thru life. "My guys". "His guys". I think RM was a little cold about it. Not good.

And RM had some old school gym teacher mentality stories, not very appealing for a head coach at Roy's squeaky clean Catholic SLU.

And RM did not kiss the media's ass and take the time to make the rounds and see everyone at all of the functions.

But some of that is because he is old and has severe health problems and had to prioritze things, he did not have time for ALL of the BS get togethers

RM can be a great guy, plenty of people that have spent quality time with him will attest.

He was our only chance, it was a longshot to get a proven winner like him, nationally recognized veteran 24/7/365 basketball guy to come to SLU out of nowhere. We needed boosters to pay his salary, Biondi sure as hell would not pop $$ for him.

SO here we are, behind schedule because of John Cook's Revenge last yr, but we have a good 9 man rotation, Sr's-Jr's-Soph's, playing good ball. We're looking good for a NIT bid or even a possible NCAA bid if we can do well in the A-10. We have a long way to go.

Roy, RM was not the perfect candidate... but you never can find one, can you? You have to pick one knowing that he is not perfect but is MUCH better than the current guy.

I hope RM can stay 3-4 more years... he looks slimmed down, healthier, maybe he can go longer than we thought.

He loves the game and we finally are seeing a system that works, it has finally happened, he gets us 3* players that serve different roles and responsibilities and develops them. Not bad.

I hope RM can stay 3-4 more years... he looks slimmed down, healthier, maybe he can go longer than we thought.

He loves the game and we finally are seeing a system that works, it has finally happened, he gets us 3* players that serve different roles and responsibilities and develops them. Not bad.

Only 50/50 chance RM stays.

Won't be back.

But maybe he will.

Only 50/50 chance RM stays.

Won't be back.

But maybe he will.

He was fit to be tied about a LOT of things after the season last spring and a lot of inside people heard and thought he might leave; he was on the bubble. His health had worsened over the year as you possibly recall, but he finally settled and decided to come back.

I say, that is good!

NOW he seems to be here for the long haul, there is no way to be sure, but remember he has serious heart problems and is on coumadin a STRONG blood thinner, that is always a serious matter.

Grow up, as RM would say, you c*nt.

Let's not act like Roy is a lone wolf in his opinion about Rickma. There were people and players that felt the same way about him at Utah. There are boosters that don't like the guy personally at SLU and there are players that didn't like their SLU experience. I understand Roy's feelings about Rickma.

That said, I don't agree with him. I think the good outweighs the bad with Rickma.

It's a lot easier to hop on the board and say RM is the best thing to ever happen to SLUH, is all about academics, has a great eye for talent, gets the most out of his players etc. No one is going to get on you for saying that. Everyone loves the optimist and when we are 9-1 that's certainly the fun thing to do.

Roy takes a harder stance. He believes in something and sticks by it. As has been said, he isn't the only one to think that. Lots of kids have hated Majerus, as have boosters, managers, walk-ons etc.

I don't think it is an either/or proposition. I personally think Majerus has been a big boost for the program. I disagree with a lot of what he does, but I don't want him to resign or be fired or anything like that. Maybe Roy does, but there is a wide spectrum of opinions and none of them have to be right.

Nick, I'm a RM supporter but don't be tricked into thinking he only used the C word once and it was years ago. He uses it all the time and I find it hilarious.

And while we are correcting the record, I'm not sure if Nick posted it or someone else but the comment was made that RM never yanked a scholarship from a player at SLU. That's a false statement. It happened. I was critical of Rick on this board when he began running off Sodie's players including the poor kids who were recruited to SLU by Sodie but never actually played for him ... only to arrive at SLU and be informed they really weren't wanted.

That was four years ago. Since then he has methodically upgraded the talent level of this team and run a disciplined program. This program is light years ahead of where it was at when Brad was fired. Just this season I finally glimpsed the offense RM wants to run at SLU. It's a thing of beauty. Excusing the way he dealt with players he did not recruit, I am thrilled with what Rick has built @ SLU. I just hope he is healthy enough to ride this thing a few more years to a higher level. I'll occasionally make fun of Rick's quirks but don't have a negative word to say about the way he runs the team. We at SLU are lucky to have Rick.

Regardless, I don't mind if he pulled scholarships. His job is to win and has a lot riding on that aspect. If he did in fact pull a scholarship then it was to get players he thought could play at his intensity rather than be grounded for a couple more years with guys who didn't like him and guys he didn't like.... It's not his fault SLU went after him and he was brought into a mess of an athletic program, but ROY or whoever else be damned he's going to treat the program like it's the best in the country and demand that effort no matter if we are in the MVC, A-10, or a BCS conference. He's not going to sit and be forced to coach some guys who don't want to play for him and then have everyone on here say he doesn't have what it takes anymore

I started this blog to say something positive about the coach. Unfortunately, it has deteriorated into a verbal altercation between BRoy and other board members. I guess this is the nature of the beast. I wish we could all take a deep breathe and think twice or three times before a negative post. I am not blaming anyone for their opinions, but we should all try to be more positive. I think the puurpose of the board is to be informative about the Billikens and to be fans. Amen.

This message board is worse then a bunch of housewives at a coffee shop

the best part of ricks 500 speach

"I appreciate all the support from the cheerleaders and the saint...whatever you call them things" hahahahah

way to go on 500 big rick love dat belly!!!

I like RM, but I definitely know where Roy is coming from.

Just a for fun question for Roy....

Who would you rather have as your coach? Majerus, Calipari, or Pitino?

we had him. romar.

never on calipari or pitino. i would probably rather take rickma than either of them.

C'mon Roy. Even St. Lorenzo had his little Cameron Dollar fiasco. Rick is a much better recruiter in St. Louis than Romar was. Romar may have turned things around. Kennedy might've kept us from going into Vietnam in a big way. We'll never know and it's assinine to give credit where it isn't due.

Being consistant is laudable unless you are consistantly being a nattering nabob of negativity.......

He was fit to be tied about a LOT of things after the season last spring and a lot of inside people heard and thought he might leave; he was on the bubble. His health had worsened over the year as you possibly recall, but he finally settled and decided to come back.

I say, that is good!

NOW he seems to be here for the long haul, there is no way to be sure, but remember he has serious heart problems and is on coumadin a STRONG blood thinner, that is always a serious matter.

Strong words. Good Catholics would dissaprove.

Majerus is totally COURAGEOUS in dealing with health issues.

Obesity serious issue. Hard to stay away from bratwurst.

Still chance that RM might not come back next season. Always up in air.

50-50 that SLU can deal with Cook revenge. Might make NIT, but NCAA still in sight. Will be total miracle, but can still happen.

Last season was chance to make impact. Willie gone thru no fault of own. Take years to recover, if EVER.

SLU not serious about basketball. IF were, would help athletes more.

Need to be more like Duke. Austin Rivers true definition of student athlete.

Boytoy total ******. Take things out of context.

Don't know what I know.

HAHA!

I say, that is good!

Duke, easy money.

Vegas knows suckers.

JROSE p*ssed them off. Grant

Hill gave a pep talk. If you were in the lockeroom, you would know.

This board is just a bunch of sheep.

Duke, easy money.

Vegas knows suckers.

JROSE p*ssed them off. Grant

Hill gave a pep talk. If you were in the lockeroom, you would know.

This board is just a bunch of sheep.

Total copycat.

Boytoy can't think for self. Sheep.

Duke represents what's best in sports. You don't know.

Wish you did.

Blue Devils in finals. Will you take bet? I bet 5 large.

Meet me at Humphreys. Take bet and place on YouTube. Man enough?

Ppppfffff. Coach K laughs at you.

So do I.