Top 10 Reasons the Billikens have had an amazing start

Billsrmajic

My Top 10 Reasons the Billikens have had an amazing start

10. Improved play from Cody Ellis – As has been noted elsewhere on this board, Ellis has shown tremendous improvement in the areas of defense, rebounding, and hustle. Plus he’s shooting the ball very well.

9. One on one defense – I’ve been very impressed with the Bills ability to play individual man defense. This includes ball denial as well as the ability to stay in front of your man when he drives to the basket. Mitchell, Jett and Evans have excelled at this. Loe has made great strides recently.

8. 3-point shooting – The team is shooting 44% from 3, an amazing percentage. Kyle Cassity is hitting 54% of his 3’s.

7. Limiting turnovers – The team has just 55 turnovers this season (compared to 96 by their opponents). The team understands the value of the basketball, and they rarely give it away. Primary ball handlers Mitchell, Jett, McCall and Cassity have just 23 turnovers in six games. The team has been pressed several times and has shown the ability to turn those situations into points on the other end.

6. Unselfish play – This team is loaded with talent. That can create an environment in which players feel they are not getting enough minutes, leading to pouting or selfish play. I have seen no evidence of this thus far. One stat that demonstrates unselfish play is assists. The Billikens have 90 assists on 152 baskets. In comparison, their opponents have 45 assists on 116 baskets. Additionally, the bench (led by Barnett) is into every play. This seems to be a team in the best sense of the word.

5. Offensive efficiency – I’ve been very impressed with how well this team has run its offense. They are setting great screens, cutting hard, and making good passes. As evidence of their efficiency, as a team they are shooting an outstanding 50% from the field.

4. Team defense – As noted in #9, I have been very impressed with the individual defensive effort displayed this year. Even more impressive has been the way the team has worked together as a team defensively. Players are where they are supposed to be to provide help for their teammates. Multiple players (led by Conklin and Ellis) have stepped up to take charges. Remekun has altered many shots down low in limited playing time. Evans leads the team with five blocked shots. The Billikens have limited their opponents to just 39% from the field, including 29% from 3.

3. The return of Kwamain Mitchell – The leader of the team has returned, and it has made a huge difference. Everything seems to run more smoothly with him on the floor. Mitchell has not shot well this season, but he has a knack of getting 6-8 easy points a game that the Billikens were not getting last year. The point guard leads the team in assists and steals, and is second in scoring. No question he’s still the guy I would want with the ball in his hands at the end of a tight game.

2. Brian Conklin – Conklin’s year has been nothing short of amazing. He’s been a great senior leader and has played outstanding defense this year. However, his most important contribution thus far has been his ability to score down low. He has demonstrated an impressive skill set in the paint, with footwork that could be studied by aspiring post players. Conklin leads the team in scoring and field goal percentage. He has demonstrated a knack for getting off a quality shot against larger opponents. He has become the trustworthy offensive post presence this team needs.

1. Great coaching staff – Led by Majerus, this coaching staff consistently has an effective game plan and has the team ready to play each night. Even Majerus detractors surely admit that his vision for turning this program around is well on its way to a reality.

I agree with every word. Conklin has improved so much from last year its amazing.

I like how you added barnett as the bench leader, I love that guy.

Who is the guy on the bench who is constantly wipping the towel on the ground every play, I mean its good to be excited but constantly wipping the towel is kind of I guess.. hood rat, is it the greek?

Says it all. What is interesting to me is reading between your lines. All ten points are valid and spot on and are interchangable in the sense that if, say, Point 8 takes a night off (the 3% shooting gets lost for example) we can recover by putting pedal to the metal on Point 9 or Point 7 or Point 2. A good to great team has multiple options employbale to win and this team seems to have that.

Tonight is another test in my book. Timmerman noted it as a potential trap game (last of the trip, after getting ranked, after winning tournament, etc.) so let's see how we react.

Tonight is another test in my book. Timmerman noted it as a potential trap game (last of the trip, after getting ranked, after winning tournament, etc.) so let's see how we react.

-to me a win tonight goes a l-o-n-g way to validating to non-believers (if there are any)

-LET'S GO BILLS!!!!!!

I agree with every word. Conklin has improved so much from last year its amazing.

I like how you added barnett as the bench leader, I love that guy.

Who is the guy on the bench who is constantly wipping the towel on the ground every play, I mean its good to be excited but constantly wipping the towel is kind of I guess.. hood rat, is it the greek?

That's Daly. KMed, I would really like to meet you at the next home game. You said you are a junior at SLU?

Says it all. What is interesting to me is reading between your lines. All ten points are valid and spot on and are interchangable in the sense that if, say, Point 8 takes a night off (the 3% shooting gets lost for example) we can recover by putting pedal to the metal on Point 9 or Point 7 or Point 2. A good to great team has multiple options employbale to win and this team seems to have that.

I think what has fascinated me is how versatile this team is. It seems, for a few of the games (Washington, BC, Nova), we took the first 5 minutes or so really getting a feel of an opponent. After this "feeler" period, we pull away, consistently. It really is a great brand of basketball to watch. Go Billikens!

2. Brian Conklin – Conklin’s year has been nothing short of amazing. He’s been a great senior leader and has played outstanding defense this year. However, his most important contribution thus far has been his ability to score down low. He has demonstrated an impressive skill set in the paint, with footwork that could be studied by aspiring post players. Conklin leads the team in scoring and field goal percentage. He has demonstrated a knack for getting off a quality shot against larger opponents. He has become the trustworthy offensive post presence this team needs.

Watching Conkilin miss what seemed like a hundred layups his first two years here, I never thought I would be relishing his Senior season like this. Not that it matters now, but who replaces this guy down low next year? Just amazing to see.

Conklin's been teriffic.

But it's the return of Kwamain, and the subsequent legitimizing of our backcourt (also year #2 for MM/JJ), that have led to many of Conklin's opportunities.

Again--he's been great. But he is finishing plays, that last year weren't being made (for him to finish).

That said, he is definitely finishing better around the bucket. I'd love for him to have had developed a left hand by now--when he gets it on the right block and goes middle, it drives me nuts to see him bring the ball back to his right/inside shoulder.

Watching Conkilin miss what seemed like a hundred layups his first two years here, I never thought I would be relishing his Senior season like this. Not that it matters now, but who replaces this guy down low next year? Just amazing to see.

I thought of that to. I am kind of hoping Cody has BC position as a starter with Grandy getting significant minutes off the bench. Also, for CR and RL to continue to develop. Also Manning developing and getting more minutes.We should be all right next year.

The major strength of RM is he recruits 4 year players and develops them.

my hope would be that remeken and loe get a clue watching the conklin transformation and decide to target a similar path hereforward.

+1 on this post.

Two things that definitely stand out for me this year are Cody Ellis' ability to draw the foul and the quality of our coaching staff.

Is there a better coaching staff in the country? I mean that is a very subjective question, but seriously when you have a legend like Majerus at head coach, and two assistant coaches with so much experience, it's hard to argue with.

Someone needs to keep track of how many fouls Cody draws per game. That is definitely an important statistic that no one seems to care about recording.

my hope would be that remeken and loe get a clue watching the conklin transformation and decide to target a similar path hereforward.

-TBC has said he likes contact, that is a mindset, i don't think CR or RL have or can develop that mindset as it would be there now but they each can develop to be very solid to fantastic players for us, yes fantastic