And it's...Illinois-Springfield?!?!

bonwich

Which doesn't even have us on its online schedule yet. And plays such powerhouse teams as "Lindenwood-Belleville."

Would we have been penalized for playing one less game than everyone else?

Edit: Wow, in the annals (which, in this case, should probably only have one "n") of bad, awful, incompetent, ridiculous management and marketing, this one has to rank near the top. Not only did they forget to book one of our home games (at that arena that gave us "total control over our own schedule"); not only did they end up booking a GLVC team that very few people in STL even knew existed; not only did they once again give season-ticket holders the moral equivalent of three exhibition games.

Naw, not only that. They didn't even announce it. It's not even on our own (the dept's, not Steve's) online schedule yet.

All of you with alleged inside access to the department: I hope you're demanding someone's resignation.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which doesn't even have us on its online schedule yet. And plays such powerhouse teams as "Lindenwood-Belleville."

Would we have been penalized for playing one less game than everyone else?

Joe, is this for the 12/10 date?

I didn't even know Illinois had a satellite campus in Springfield.

If this is true, this is a terrible decision. They could find anyone else? Not even some 325+ RPI Div 1 team?

Joe, where IS this posted? I can't find it.

And until I attended a concert there a couple of weeks ago I too did not know there was an Illinois-Springfield.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth keeping my season ticket. It's not like I can't walk up and get in on just about any given night.

This is a new low. We probably could have got McKendree, but were afraid to play them.

They should offer 2 free beers to everyone who attends.

Good call...your girlfriend can pass hers up to us :)

OK settle down. This is all about filling a home date to make money. The key here is every team in the country has to play a certain # of home games to fill out their schedule. Last year we could have played the game with Seton Hall but schedule conflicts - see fill out the home game need - prevented us from doing so since SH needed us to come to them. We took the Duke game as an away game which did not impact or home schedule fill in need. The Duke game was a buy game for them and we got $70K plus expenses from what I heard for it. That money went to the the AD to support non revenue sports - win/win except we got beat on because of our loss of the two players last year. I am not excited about playing IL-Springfield either but until we are an attractive draw for others we can not expect others to go out of their way to accommodate us as we did for Duke. If you do not want to keep your season tix then that is up to you - but when you end up at the end of the line when we get good then do not whine. By the way if anybody thought this mystery date was going to be anybody good you are very naive. Also, a very low D1 game actually hurts or rankings more than playing a non D1 school which has no impact what so ever except we do not get to count the win when the NCAA looks at records for the dance.

OK settle down. This is all about filling a home date to make money. The key here is every team in the country has to play a certain # of home games to fill out their schedule. Last year we could have played the game with Seton Hall but schedule conflicts - see fill out the home game need - prevented us from doing so since SH needed us to come to them. We took the Duke game as an away game which did not impact or home schedule fill in need. The Duke game was a buy game for them and we got $70K plus expenses from what I heard for it. That money went to the the AD to support non revenue sports - win/win except we got beat on because of our loss of the two players last year. I am not excited about playing IL-Springfield either but until we are an attractive draw for others we can not expect others to go out of their way to accommodate us as we did for Duke. If you do not want to keep your season tix then that is up to you - but when you end up at the end of the line when we get good then do not whine. By the way if anybody thought this mystery date was going to be anybody good you are very naive. Also, a very low D1 game actually hurts or rankings more than playing a non D1 school which has no impact what so ever except we do not get to count the win when the NCAA looks at records for the dance.

I agree but still think these D2 teams are a rip for season ticket holders. When I purchase season tickets, I expect to pay to see D1 talent.

Taking the Duke buy affected this year's home schedule. We couldn't take the Seton Hall series because Duke filled all of road dates. Without Duke we take the Seton Hall series and they play at the Fetz this year.

It was shortsighted to take the Duke game. It cost us home game this year with a Big East school and the dollar impact wasn't a big plus. Seton Hall would have pulled in 2,000 plus more paid fans than ILS.

Quick quiz for all: name the season that SLU has played only D1 teams during the regular season at the Chaifetz?

Answer: Its never happened. UMSL followed by two years of Rockhurst.

Which begs the question why are people here so surprised and insulted by this opponent? Seems like a pattern to me (hence the lack of surprise) and somehow we have all survived this injustice the past three seasons...

The real question people should be asking is whether they'd prefer this type of match-up during finals week or should we play a 300+ RPI opponent that would actually hurt our overall RPI.

Quick quiz for all: name the season that SLU has played only D1 teams during the regular season at the Chaifetz?

Answer: Its never happened. UMSL followed by two years of Rockhurst.

Which begs the question why are people here so surprised and insulted by this opponent? Seems like a pattern to me (hence the lack of surprise) and somehow we have all survived this injustice the past three seasons...

The real question people should be asking is whether they'd prefer this type of match-up during finals week or should we play a 300+ RPI opponent that would actually hurt our overall RPI.

+1.

I'd much rather play a game like this instead of hurting our rpi. And to the people who complain about not getting your worth out of your season tickets, what's the difference in seeing us blast a 300+ rpi team compared to us blasting Illinois-Springfield? There is none.

+1.

I'd much rather play a game like this instead of hurting our rpi. And to the people who complain about not getting your worth out of your season tickets, what's the difference in seeing us blast a 300+ rpi team compared to us blasting Illinois-Springfield? There is none.

+1 to FDL and KShoe.

It is exam week and we know the opposition is light. This is our best schedule in some time. The closer we get to gametime the more intense the bįtching gets.

For the excuse makers their is no reason the schedule wasn't set up to play one of the other. Buy games that date and the open spot on the schedule slotted with a top 125 team.

I would rather play a D2 team like illinois springfield than a 320 rpi team but that is a stupid druther. It shouldn't come to that.

For the excuse makers their is no reason the schedule wasn't set up to play one of the other. Buy games that date and the open spot on the schedule slotted with a top 125 team.

I would rather play a D2 team like illinois springfield than a 320 rpi team but that is a stupid druther. It shouldn't come to that.

A top 125 team would be great. It's never going to happen during exam week. It's like complaining that it's cold in February. It will always be cold as long as you live in STL and it will never change no matter how much you complain. The only way to see a quality team during that spot would be to watch another team much like moving to San Diego in February.

Let me guess, if we played a top 125 team during exam week and some of our players did bad on exams because they spent so much time preparing for the opponent you would blame it on Rick, right?

By the way, as you are the self-appointed advocate of the student-athlete, I am surprised your selfish need for quality basketball is getting in the way of the kids' academics. You seem to have it both ways sometimes.

They are already taking a "bye" that week by not playing Wednesday.

Here are last season' RPIs for the bye game opponents we play:

95: Vermont

175: Arkansas St.

190: Texas Southern

232: Tenn St (already have a whole thread of people fretting over this game)

265: Alabama St.

Seems to me we did a pretty good job of avoiding any RPI killers in scheduling the 6 bye games this year.

A top 125 team would be great. It's never going to happen during exam week. It's like complaining that it's cold in February. It will always be cold as long as you live in STL and it will never change no matter how much you complain. The only way to see a quality team during that spot would be to watch another team much like moving to San Diego in February.

I understand the complexities of exam week. My point was that we should have scheduled one of our other buy games like tn st for that date and played another top 125 team for thAtg unfilled home game on another date.

I went back and looked at my post again aNd I am amazed you could not comprehend I never said play the 125 rpi team on that day. Maybe we could get a reading comp group discount class set up for this board