So what can we take from the Canada trip?

slu72

Again, I said it was a confusing trip. However, I don't think anyone on here would argue that X or Temple would likely have blown Carleton out of the gym. Now that may be unfair to Carleton, never having seen them play, but we were hoping this was the year we were gonna play with the big dogs and not pee with the puppies. I think we just lost 2 games to puppies. And they were both blowouts. We put a surge on in like the last 4 minutes of game 2 to get it down to 5. I'm not down on the Billikens, but let's be honest, if we're really a tourney team we should have taken these guys out. By not doing so we're still a work in process which leaves me with lower expectations. That said, I'm praying and hoping to be pleasantly surprised once the real season begins.

Sports are highly variable from game to game so anybody that reads too much into one or two games is probably making a mistake.

Last year, SLU went on the road and nearly beat Temple, a team that nearly went to the Sweet 16. We were leading at Xavier deep into the second half? This is a team that won only 12 games last year and lost at home to freaking Bowling Green. How can that possible be explained without the variability of sports?

You say, "I'm not down on the Billikens.....which leaves me with lower expectations" Seems like you really are down on the Billikens. And that's fine. We'll leave room on the bandwagon for everyone after we win the Washington game.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You say, "I'm not down on the Billikens.....which leaves me with lower expectations" Seems like you really are down on the Billikens. And that's fine. We'll leave room on the bandwagon for everyone after we win the Washington game.

To be fair, slu72 is most definitely not a bandwagon fan.

For whatever reason, we got smoked by a Canadian team...twice. That's disappointing any way you add it up. Unlike some posters, I think exhibition results like this do mean at least a little something.

I still believe we are going to the Big Dance, my confidence level just got knocked down a notch or two (which isn't a bad thing).

To be fair, slu72 is most definitely not a bandwagon fan.

For whatever reason, we got smoked by a Canadian team...twice. That's disappointing any way you add it up. Unlike some posters, I think exhibition results like this do mean at least a little something.

I still believe we are going to the Big Dance, my confidence level just got knocked down a notch or two (which isn't a bad thing).

Didn't mean to imply 72 was a bandwagon fan but rather he will get on the bandwagon of "we are going dancing" which I am proud to already be a part of.

Sports are highly variable from game to game so anybody that reads too much into one or two games is probably making a mistake.

Last year, SLU went on the road and nearly beat Temple, a team that nearly went to the Sweet 16. We were leading at Xavier deep into the second half? This is a team that won only 12 games last year and lost at home to freaking Bowling Green. How can that possible be explained without the variability of sports?

First off, I know you aren't impying that slu72 is anykind of bandwagon fan.

Mostly, I just want to acknowldege a very well thought out post about how it is kind of silly to use the outcomes of these kind of games in a vaccuum to justify a reasoning. To be honest, we should all be happy about this trip. Our players got to play in competitive games way before October. What more can we ask?

I think a lot of posters just saw the last 2 games against Carleton as a bit confusing and causing at least a slight bit of concern. Yes, they were just exhibition games, but when we were dominating the first few games the excitement level from most on this Board was pretty high. Well, it goes both ways. Naturally, when things go the other way there is going to be some concern.

I think the first blowout game against Carleton was what caused many on here some concern. Just because people have some concern it doesn't mean they have given up any hope. You have to take things for what they are. Heck, I'm still surprised we have as many fans as we have on here considering what many said after the "incident" last year.

These losses against Carleton will do nothing but good for this team and one could argue that losing both games will do more good for this team in the long run. However, I seriously doubt the losses to Carleton exposed any weaknesses that our coaching staff was not aware of.

These losses against Carleton will do nothing but good for this team and one could argue that losing both games will do more good for this team in the long run. However, I seriously doubt the losses to Carleton exposed any weaknesses that our coaching staff was not aware of.

Even though I don't live in MO, I love the state tag line, The Show Me State. Based on the Canadian trip, this team still has a lot to show us. No, the Carleton losses are not back breakers for the upcoming season. Yes, they can and will be used in the learning process, so hopefully something positive will come from them. My angst is coming from all the "wow" practice reports we got on here and the lopsided results of the first 3 games. It's easy for fans to get jacked about your favorite sports team with such glowing reviews and double digit routs. But when you suddenly get blindsided by something totally unexpected the fall hurts a lot more than it would have had your expectations not been so high. Someone posted above, anything can happen in sports. True enough. The 1980 miracle on ice, the Giants beating the undefeated Pats in SB 42, LeMoyne beating Syracuse, etc. But these stunners also beg the question, what would have happened if they played a second game? Would team USA have downed the Russkies on the second night? Would the Gmen have beaten the Brady bunch the following Sunday? Would SYR have fallen again to LeMonyne? Highly unlikely. The disturbing thing about the Carleton series is that they came back to back and in both games they dominated us. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool my twice, shame on me. Look, I'm not jumping off the blue bandwagon, and never will, but if the wagon's going over the cliff, I'd like to minimize the pain as much as possible.

" .... this team has a lot to show us."

BINGO! On the nailhead, 72. So what's the problem? If anyone does not have that tagline in their Billiekn expectations ... any Billiken expectations ... they must've been in that GEICO commercial and living under a rock lo these past three plus decades. That's why we all kno wit ain't easy being a Billiken fan.

Not worried at this point. Thankful for the early work, that is all.

I think this team showed exactly who they are. They are inconsistent. We do not have an inside presence that can score at 50% or better on a regular basis. Without that, we are totally reliant on the scoring from our guards and our outside shot, which leads to inconsistency.

The ceiling for this team is still incredibly high, but if we go through a bad spot in the season, then we will find the floor is really low.

The biggest problem in the two losses was defense. Does anyone really believe that an RM team won't defend this season? The offense has been the problem since Rickma got here. The defense has kept us from being awful. Dead legs explain the defensive problems in the two losses.

Too many people are reading too much into the losses.

The biggest problem in the two losses was defense. Does anyone really believe that an RM team won't defend this season? The offense has been the problem since Rickma got here. The defense has kept us from being awful. Dead legs explain the defensive problems in the two losses.

This team will be better because RM got to sit in the stands and take it all in. He will now have a couple of months to to work out the solutions and the Billikens will be that much better that much sooner in the season.

Couldn't agree more. Good post.

The team practiced for what 2 weeks? This is like Pirates beating the Yankees in Spring Training 2 days in a row. Who cares?

Let's wait until the season starts before we start making assumptions about tournaments, bubble/no bubble. Until then, every school in the country is the next National Champion.

The team practiced for what 2 weeks? This is like Pirates beating the Yankees in Spring Training 2 days in a row. Who cares?

Bad comparison, Rican. Try this; more like an NBA Development team trouncing a low level NBA team two nights in a row.

here's some good news for those who are worried the sky is falling. kwamain scored the second most points and recorded the second most steals EVER in a season for a billiken sophomore TWO YEARS AGO. and he was just playing around dropping dimes in those games last week, and was still getting close to his average w/ fewer minutes. if kwamain has a choice about us losing close games this year, we won't lose many close games this year. everybody else just has to stay out of his way and hit their wide open shots after he fools the entire defense.

Posted ImagePosted Image

here's some good news for those who are worried the sky is falling. kwamain scored the second most points and recorded the second most steals EVER in a season for a billiken sophomore TWO YEARS AGO. and he was just playing around dropping dimes in those games last week, and was still getting close to his average w/ fewer minutes. if kwamain has a choice about us losing close games this year, we won't lose many close games this year. everybody else just has to stay out of his way and hit their wide open shots after he fools the entire defense.

oh. and we were playing w/out kyle cassity. though i'm not the hugest fan, simply because he won't shoot more, i can admit that he's a rock solid guy out there and definitely makes this team a lot better. still a tourney team, no doubt in my mind.

Canada is not conclusive, make or break, we had some kids out, but is revealing to some extent.

A long way to go, again, I say we will have a nice team and win 20, 21 games including A-10 tourney, nice improvement from last yrs 11 wins.

But 2nd in the A-10, NCAA's, Sweet 16, all that, some of you are a tad off.

I think we will struggle to get into NIT, probably will not get in. Hope so. Hope we make NCAA's, but, hey, c'mon.

We have a decent set of guards, though some of you overrate JJ & MM. KM is back (?) but opponents will take him out, especially on the A-10 road, will push him around, thug him with waves of players, he will only take the ball to the hoop late in the game.

We are light up front, no intimidating "D" force, that is the issue. Manning is a high potential but skinny freshman. Freshman Glaze, is he really 6'6", is he going to help on "D"? Will Loe get in there and bang, play "D" in the paint, will opponents fear his shot blocking? You have to like Conklin, but he's not enough, & limited.

Bigs. Again.

So I hope every player exceeds expectations, CE hits his 3's, 18ppg, plays "D" and is a superstar, KM plays and stays healthy, Manning somehow contributes and blocks some shots, JB is another Jimmer like everyone thought, MM is almost as good as KM like a lot of you say, and Loe is a beast in the paint, plays with a motor like Matt Howard.

But realistically, going from 11 wins to 20 or 21 is about it.

Canada is not conclusive, make or break, we had some kids out, but is revealing to some extent.

A long way to go, again, I say we will have a nice team and win 20, 21 games including A-10 tourney, nice improvement from last yrs 11 wins.

But 2nd in the A-10, NCAA's, Sweet 16, all that, some of you are a tad off.

I think we will struggle to get into NIT, probably will not get in. Hope so. Hope we make NCAA's, but, hey, c'mon.

We have a decent set of guards, though some of you overrate JJ & MM. KM is back (?) but opponents will take him out, especially on the A-10 road, will push him around, thug him with waves of players, he will only take the ball to the hoop late in the game.

We are light up front, no intimidating "D" force, that is the issue. Manning is a high potential but skinny freshman. Freshman Glaze, is he really 6'6", is he going to help on "D"? Will Loe get in there and bang, play "D" in the paint, will opponents fear his shot blocking? You have to like Conklin, but he's not enough, & limited.

Bigs. Again.

So I hope every player exceeds expectations, CE hits his 3's, 18ppg, plays "D" and is a superstar, KM plays and stays healthy, Manning somehow contributes and blocks some shots, JB is another Jimmer like everyone thought, MM is almost as good as KM like a lot of you say, and Loe is a beast in the paint, plays with a motor like Matt Howard.

But realistically, going from 11 wins to 20 or 21 is about it.

I don't get your constant worries about SLU's interior defense. We ranked 47th in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency. Defense (interior or otherwise) wasn't the problem last season. The problem was the ofense which ranked 242nd in adjusted offensive efficiency.

I don't get your constant worries about SLU's interior defense. We ranked 47th in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency. Defense (interior or otherwise) wasn't the problem last season. The problem was the ofense which ranked 242nd in adjusted offensive efficiency.

Well, I should have stated a concern for our lack of post up "O" down low, too, thanks, I did not mean to highlight around-the-hoop "D" as the only issue, though it is more important than the "O" in our situation, we will get pts from guards and Evans slashing and CE & RL "outside".

Front line scoring inside of 6-8 feet is an issue as it stands now, but the inside "D" issue is much more significant.

So, do you think we'll win 26 or so? NCAA bound?

("adjusted defensive efficiency"? We slowed the games down, we kept scores low because we held the ball)

Well, I should have stated a concern for our lack of post up "O" down low, too, thanks, I did not mean to highlight around-the-hoop "D" as the only issue, though it is more important than the "O" in our situation, we will get pts from guards and Evans slashing and CE & RL "outside".

Front line scoring inside of 6-8 feet is an issue as it stands now, but the inside "D" issue is much more significant.

("adjusted defensive efficiency"? We slowed the games down, we kept scores low because we held the ball)

I don't think we'll win 26 or more games, but I don't think it will take that many to get to the Big Dance. I do think we'll be NCAA bound. Depending on who our wins are against, when they come, where we win, etc., I think 21-22 wins could very well get us into the dance.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I am excited to KM this year (as is everyone). Physically this is what would be his senior year, what I initally figured would be an A10 POY performance. Our backcourt will be ridiculous! I've gotta fly in for the Washingon game.

The stat is adjusted for the pace we played at. Hence, the term adjusted defensive efficiency.

My takeaway.

Worried JB is not the savior that everyone was annointing for the past 18 months :mellow:

-Nick

I didn't see the game footage to comment, box scores are a tough way to gauge performance in many cases (see Cassity). But this guy is only a sophomore, he has time to grow and backfill for Cassity.

Patrick