THIS IS IT

Taj79

The future is now ...... Majerus has a full roster, of his recruits, he has seniors, he has a proven returning star and the promise of youthful sophomores, he has a 13-scholarship roster, he has one Aussie, one Kiwi, a Canadian, a Greek, no St. Louisans, no recruits left over from any previous regime, four big men, three tweeners, and three point guards. He has a coach on the floor (Cassity/Mitchell) and a hoss underneath (Conklin). The roster is his and his alone; they all want to be here and with him.

Majerus must now post back-to-back 20+ win seasons and back-to-back play dates in mid-March. The future is now. I expect nothing less. There are no excuses and there is no slack to cut.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The future is now ...... Majerus has a full roster, of his recruits, he has seniors, he has a proven returning star and the promise of youthful sophomores, he has a 13-scholarship roster, he has one Aussie, one Kiwi, a Canadian, a Greek, no St. Louisans, no recruits left over from any previous regime, four big men, three tweeners, and three point guards. He has a coach on the floor (Cassity/Mitchell) and a hoss underneath (Conklin). The roster is his and his alone; they all want to be here and with him.

Majerus must now post back-to-back 20+ win seasons and back-to-back play dates in mid-March. The future is now. I expect nothing less. There are no excuses and there is no slack to cut.

This sounds fair to me! :D

This sounds fair to me! :D

Emminently fair. I would expect those footing the bill for RM's salary feel the same. He got some slack last year because of the situation. Granted, I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable had WR not crashed and burned, but that's water over the damn and his time at SLU has passed. Still, even w/o WR, we've probably got the most potentially talent laden roster since the '93-'95 years so let's hope for the same kind of results. It would be great seeing the Chai filled to the rafters with loud and boisterous crowds once again. For this to happen, we've got to see some real development by our inside guys like BC, RL, CE, and CR because we can't expect much from the frosh. From the rare reports we get from the locals, however, off season training and development seem to be going well. Hopefully that's a sign these guys realize this could be a big year and are working hard to make it happen. All signs are pointing north and the stars seem to be aligning themselves for a resurgency in Billiken hoops. Taj Mahal 79 is correct by saying, This is it. But should have added Now show us it really can happen at SLU.

A fair post, Taj

In my view it will take a masterful coaching job early in the season to figure out the best way to make all of the pieces fit together. I believe this is the best and deepest roster we have seen in years. It might take a bit of time tot get the chemistry right but this should be a really good team by the second semester and next year.

In my view it will take a masterful coaching job early in the season to figure out the best way to make all of the pieces fit together. I believe this is the best and deepest roster we have seen in years. It might take a bit of time tot get the chemistry right but this should be a really good team by the second semester and next year.

The "foreign trip" gives us the extra practices and time to develop chemistry. Pardon the pun, but we should be able to hit the floor running in November... :lol:

Good point, Billikan.. But w/ KM back on the floor you have to figure maybe the growing pains won't be that painful. As someone pointed out this is a good year for the foreign trip. Gives them extra practice and game time to figure out where the pieces fit best. Since RM has already given us his for sure 3 starters, BC, RL, and KM, the competition for playing time at the other positions should be intense. It wouldn't be a surprise to see KC maybe get the starting nod because of his knowledge and cautious play with the ball, but you have to see MM and JB pushing him hard. Clearly if one of those two step up and show they can score some points that will take pressure off KM and our inside guys. With KC in there you have to think defenders will play off him to help stop KM. Can't wait to see how that trip up north plays out.

Some say this is the best team since the early 90's. I think this is the best team from top to bottom for at least 30 years. I can't speak of too many teams from prior to 1980 since I was a youngster then, but it definitely is. Some may argue the top three players, the starting five, etc. but in terms of complete teams and depth this has to be the best bar none. Will they go as far? Who knows since their is no Larry the Legend and the Highmark trio was pretty special but in terms of complete teams this is the best in that time period.

But, before we get too excited, look at our performance the past 30 years. The bar isn't that high.

Some say this is the best team since the early 90's. I think this is the best team from top to bottom for at least 30 years. I can't speak of too many teams from prior to 1980 since I was a youngster then, but it definitely is. Some may argue the top three players, the starting five, etc. but in terms of complete teams and depth this has to be the best bar none. Will they go as far? Who knows since their is no Larry the Legend and the Highmark trio was pretty special but in terms of complete teams this is the best in that time period.

But, before we get too excited, look at our performance the past 30 years. The bar isn't that high.

Agree that the depth looks impressive, but my question is will we have other standout/star caliber players to go along with KM. Who will emerge and be an all-conference caliber player? There are a lot of candidates, but we will need a couple to step up - MM, RL, DE, JB, and CE are all possibilities. It can't just be KM and a bunch of good role players.

Agree that the depth looks impressive, but my question is will we have other standout/star caliber players to go along with KM. Who will emerge and be an all-conference caliber player? There are a lot of candidates, but we will need a couple to step up - MM, RL, DE, JB, and CE are all possibilities. It can't just be KM and a bunch of good role players.

And that is what I think is most exciting.

A few things. I agree with Taj that there are no more excuses. This had better be the year we make some noise, and if it doesn't happen, I suspect the Majerus era will end. That being said, I obviously don't think this will happen. Majerus is excited about this season, and rightfully so.

While I understand Billikan's point about needing a masterful coaching job to find the right combination early, I'm not sure I agree. I think Rick should have a pretty good idea before the season what the right playing mix is. With the exception of Barnett and Mitchell, all of our returning players will have played significant minutes together, while JB and KM will have a full year practicing with these guys. The Canada trip is also a big advantage.

Also agree with Ace that we need a 2nd or 3rd primary scorer in order to be really any good. Depth is nice (and this is the deepest team we've had as far as I can remember), but it may be overrated. In college bball, you really just need about 3 or so really good players. Last year's champion and runner-up are pretty good examples of teams that relied heavily on two or three players. KM is obviously one very good player, but who else will step up? My money is on MM and RL (though he needs to develop some sort of inside game), but JB, CE, and DE are also potentials.

A few things. I agree with Taj that there are no more excuses. This had better be the year we make some noise, and if it doesn't happen, I suspect the Majerus era will end. That being said, I obviously don't think this will happen. Majerus is excited about this season, and rightfully so.

While I understand Billikan's point about needing a masterful coaching job to find the right combination early, I'm not sure I agree. I think Rick should have a pretty good idea before the season what the right playing mix is. With the exception of Barnett and Mitchell, all of our returning players will have played significant minutes together, while JB and KM will have a full year practicing with these guys. The Canada trip is also a big advantage.

Also agree with Ace that we need a 2nd or 3rd primary scorer in order to be really any good. Depth is nice (and this is the deepest team we've had as far as I can remember), but it may be overrated. In college bball, you really just need about 3 or so really good players. Last year's champion and runner-up are pretty good examples of teams that relied heavily on two or three players. KM is obviously one very good player, but who else will step up? My money is on MM and RL (though he needs to develop some sort of inside game), but JB, CE, and DE are also potentials.

That is a great point. The thing that depth does that puts me at ease is adversity, that not only can happen (and usually does with the Billikens), is shielded a little more. Whatever the adversity be, we should be okay. I also like that our practice teams in the gym will be almost as good as the starting teams which should elevate the level of this team.

If RM is right about JB, he can definitely be that second "good player" and hopefully MM, RL, or DE can step up and be the third.

Winning 20 games is not going to get us $hit. We won 20 in Soderberg's last year and got nothing, then won 23 and didn't get in the NIT. I want back to back 25+ win seasons.

Yeah, but 3 of those 23 wins came in the CBI and we had a pretty weak schedule (including one win against a non-D-1 team). 20 regular season wins with this expected schedule will get you at least an NIT bid. Agree though that more than 20 wins will be necessary for an NCAA bid, which remains the real goal.

Yeah, but 3 of those 23 wins came in the CBI and we had a pretty weak schedule (including one win against a non-D-1 team). 20 regular season wins with this expected schedule will get you at least an NIT bid. Agree though that more than 20 wins will be necessary for an NCAA bid, which remains the real goal.

Based on how the schedule is shaping up, we need to be 23-7 going into the A-10 tourney to feel comfortable about an at-large NCAA bid. I believe this team can and will get it done.

Winning 20 games is not going to get us $hit. We won 20 in Soderberg's last year and got nothing, then won 23 and didn't get in the NIT. I want back to back 25+ win seasons.

Here are the actual regular season records against D1 opponents for those seasons.

2007: 18-12 (8-8 against a relatively soft A10)

2010: 19-10

The 2010 team could have easily won

vs Mo State (w/ KM, Cody)

@ BG (w/ Cody)

@ GW (if we hadn't pissed it away)

vs X (if WR had shot better than 2-9 from the stripe)

and been 23-6 (13-3, tied for 2nd in the A10 with X and Richmond)

re: having 3 good players

More important that having 3 good players, is having ZERO bad players on the floor. That's what separates the good teams from the bad. Good teams put 5 players on the floor who know their roles and can efficiently execute on both ends. The 2010 team had KM, WR, and CE - but would piss away possessions when JJ made ill advised passes to CR.

Agreed. To be really good we need a big 3. KM no doubt will be one, but who will be 2 & 3. The best outcome would be MM & RL being 2&3 with DE being on their heels and perhaps an equally important player with his rebounding and stopper skills.

I was wrong about the 2009-10 team winning 23 games and missing the NIT. We were only 19-11 vs D-1 teams heading into the postseason tournaments. The conference tournament games count in those win totals too. If we're 22-7 going into the conference tournament this season, we will probably have to make the finals or even win the whole thing to make the dance.

sounds bad, but I am worried about how the health of RM's Mother will play into the season..obviously she is not doing all that well and if something were to happen, the impact it could have on RM and the rest of this season could be very interesting..

sounds bad, but I am worried about how the health of RM's Mother will play into the season..obviously she is not doing all that well and if something were to happen, the impact it could have on RM and the rest of this season could be very interesting..

I think it's crossed all our minds. RM is very close to his Mom and will do the right thing when it comes to her. If something does happen to her during the season, I can see him taking a leave to deal with it, which is what I would do. It sounds like she is in pretty bad shape if she's in hospice now though. I feel bad for him, because living out of town from an ill parent can't be easy. I hope he is getting some quality time with her now, although not sure "quality" would be a good word to describe a situation where someone is in hospice.

Sorry Randy. Sorry Tonka. Sorry board. No excuses is NO excuses. None. Nada. Zip.

I don't mean to be heartless and cruel .... my father is in hospice as we speak and no two people in this world are closer than me and pop.

But let me be clear ---- no is no.

Billikan is correct - it will take a few games to get the pieces to fit together the way they need to but I still think we should be able to make a post season tourney given that the conf games do not really start until the second semester and a strong showing in the conf will be important.

Taja - sorry to hear about your father, you should take whatever reasonable time is needed to deal with it when the time comes. My hope is that you will learn from this sad experience and be able to apply that to others.

RM should be allowed to take some time off during the season if his mother passes during it - how much a week is considered appropriate in most cases in the work world. If she is in hospice then my guess is she will be gone by the season start.

Sorry Randy. Sorry Tonka. Sorry board. No excuses is NO excuses. None. Nada. Zip.

I don't mean to be heartless and cruel .... my father is in hospice as we speak and no two people in this world are closer than me and pop.

But let me be clear ---- no is no.

I wasn't making that post as an excuse. I agree with you. In fact, I had your attitude going into last year. You're a year late in your thinking in my opinion. I am stating the reality of the situation.