Current state of Billiken Basketball

MB, you slay me. First off, I think it is hilarious that a 60 year old man (assuming you are a 1973 grad) resorts to the childish rants that you are prone to. You are always good for a fly off the handle, nonsensical tirade where you invite ridicule. Once the inevitable ridicule starts, then you start throwing the personal insults around and pointing out that people are skewing your statements and taking what you say out of context. To be honest, it is actually quite amusing.

I also love that you apparently have tons of sources that provide you all kinds of information that usually turns out wrong. You just atated you were told that RM was going to quit prior to the start of the coming season. You also pointed out that Duke was going to embarrass and humiliate Michigan in the NCAA tourney due to the Fab Five documentary. We already know about the Pujols thing because some higher up in the organization told you that.

Feel free to not renew your season tickets. Stick it to SLU where it hurts. However, I think you'll miss a lot of good basketball and a possible NCAA run. I would think that if you put up with the rough season last year that you would want to be there to see the team rebound in a big way. While you feel that KM and WR got a raw deal, KM sucked it up and came back and did it without any histrionics. Don't you want to support KM and cheer him on as he leads this team?

You threaten to leave the board and make one last glorious post, which I can only assume will be a total kiss-off and diss to all of the MB73 bashers on the board. To that I can only say this: PLEASE DON'T LEAVE. It is far too entertaining seeing you go batsh*t, call people names, blame liberals and generally make outlandish and inaccurate statements that come back to bite you in the a$$ time and time again. However, if that is getting too tiresome for you, by all means leave. Have a wonderful 4th of July!

Earlier in the thread, YOU threw out the first insult, like a ******.

RE: your three "big" points:

1) RM still might coach this fall, might not. It is pending. But I admit, you would think he would have left by now if that was his intention, so it looks like he is staying. I also said shortly after the season ended that not just RM, but WR also was a big question mark, WAY before the rumors started, while a lot of you were drooling about him coming back and speculating on the starting lineups. But you do not acknowledge that. If I was a Billiken.com nerd like you, I would go back and look all of that up...

2) Duke-Mich, it was a gambling tidbit, it was kidding around, not some major point. Duke was 12 pt fav over Michigan and inside reports were that Coach K was furious about what the thug Fab Five Boys from the old Michigan team said. Civilians like you heard about it a month later when it was finally reported nationally that Coach K was offended. Duke was up 15 pts or so, when they called off the dogs, gave Irving the ball to get him in sync (which hurt their chemistry for that game) and then Michigan hit about 6 out of their last 8 "threes" in the last 2-3 minutes. Big deal. I lost some $$$.

3) Pujols is 34+, soon to be 35, that will come out someday. It is not some big secret. Again, he played a few yrs of high school in the Carribean, a few in NY, missed a yr in there somewhere, then played 2 yrs in Independence, MO, when he got there, said he was 18, was really 21+. No birth certificate, coach let him play, MSHHA did not know squat. So he was drafted in what, 17th round?

RE 2011-2012, I hope a lot of unexpected things go right, but I still fear we do not have enough "D" down low, and though I like him, most of you overrate KM. We need a surprise or two, RL - CE - Manning to be WAY above expectations, ferocious around the hoop defensively, and / or Barnett hits 40+% of his threes.

Our "D" was overrated last yr, we held the ball, ate the clock, kept the scores low, our only chance. (some of your numbskull naive stat babble claimed that we had a good defensive club; yeah, right, you have to understand the game, not just cite stats, 2.4 compared to 2.2 type of crap you throw around all the time)

We are DEEP at the 3-4-5 for a change, that is good, but we do not have one intimidating inside force.

I still say we'll get 19-20 wins, barely miss the NIT, thats regular season + A-10 Tourney. So shoot me.

Maybe we'll do better, hope so, but a lot of MAJOR surprises need to emerge.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone realized that for the first time in the history of the Chaifetz Arena there will be SENIORS on the court for the home team? Not to mention a fourth year junior superstud. It is time to get excited people! These guys have already been through every physical and emotional ringer possible, and they are going to come on to the floor strong-minded, with a lot to prove. I cannot wait for put up or shut up time, because I have faith in the group we have right now. HATE

KC is a given as far as an efficient manager of the floor. BC is a given as to a tough interior guy who will grab some boards and on occassion provide some inside scoring.

A "given" at what? We have the talent to be a Tourney team this year - don't have to wait to next year. With that said, if this team relies upon KC and BC, we will be, at best, an NIT team. No doubt KC and BC will be Seniors, play some key minutes and make real contributions to this team, but if KC is our best at the 2 or 3 and if BC is our best 4, then we are in trouble.

Less of KC is a good thing.

Has anyone realized that for the first time in the history of the Chaifetz Arena there will be SENIORS on the court for the home team? Not to mention a fourth year junior superstud. It is time to get excited people! These guys have already been through every physical and emotional ringer possible, and they are going to come on to the floor strong-minded, with a lot to prove. I cannot wait for put up or shut up time, because I have faith in the group we have right now. HATE

Weren't Barry Eberhardt, Tommie Liddell, and Kevin Lisch seniors when Chaifetz opened?

Earlier in the thread, YOU threw out the first insult, like a ******.

RE: your three "big" points:

1) RM still might coach this fall, might not. It is pending. But I admit, you would think he would have left by now if that was his intention, so it looks like he is staying. I also said shortly after the season ended that not just RM, but WR also was a big question mark, WAY before the rumors started, while a lot of you were drooling about him coming back and speculating on the starting lineups. But you do not acknowledge that. If I was a Billiken.com nerd like you, I would go back and look all of that up...

2) Duke-Mich, it was a gambling tidbit, it was kidding around, not some major point. Duke was 12 pt fav over Michigan and inside reports were that Coach K was furious about what the thug Fab Five Boys from the old Michigan team said. Civilians like you heard about it a month later when it was finally reported nationally that Coach K was offended. Duke was up 15 pts or so, when they called off the dogs, gave Irving the ball to get him in sync (which hurt their chemistry for that game) and then Michigan hit about 6 out of their last 8 "threes" in the last 2-3 minutes. Big deal. I lost some $$$.

3) Pujols is 34+, soon to be 35, that will come out someday. It is not some big secret. Again, he played a few yrs of high school in the Carribean, a few in NY, missed a yr in there somewhere, then played 2 yrs in Independence, MO, when he got there, said he was 18, was really 21+. No birth certificate, coach let him play, MSHHA did not know squat. So he was drafted in what, 17th round?

RE 2011-2012, I hope a lot of unexpected things go right, but I still fear we do not have enough "D" down low, and though I like him, most of you overrate KM. We need a surprise or two, RL - CE - Manning to be WAY above expectations, ferocious around the hoop defensively, and / or Barnett hits 40+% of his threes.

Our "D" was overrated last yr, we held the ball, ate the clock, kept the scores low, our only chance. (some of your numbskull naive stat babble claimed that we had a good defensive club; yeah, right, you have to understand the game, not just cite stats, 2.4 compared to 2.2 type of crap you throw around all the time)

We are DEEP at the 3-4-5 for a change, that is good, but we do not have one intimidating inside force.

I still say we'll get 19-20 wins, barely miss the NIT, thats regular season + A-10 Tourney. So shoot me.

Maybe we'll do better, hope so, but a lot of MAJOR surprises need to emerge.

I did initially say that once the ridicule starts that you then throw out the personal insults. I obviously ridiculed your initial rant, as others did, and then you answered with the personal insults, like you did to others. It is just your way. It is what makes you endearing and entertaining.

If this is true about Pujols, then he would be around 40, maybe older. But this is probably me being just some Billikens.com stat head nerd taking sh*t you say out of context. In deference to this board, I will drop this from here on out. However, please feel free to PM me on the subject and we can take this off of the board. I have a lot of questions about the subject that I would like answered, one being how you know this for a fact yet nobody at ESPN, Yahoo Sports, Deadspin, Post-Dispatch, etc. has decided to report on this even though it is, in your words, no big secret.

Back to basketball, you feel that many of us overrate KM and what he brings to the table. that is a fair discussion point, but I also feel that you have perhaps overrated WR and what he brought, or could have brought to the current team. If you want to win the A-10 title, I think it comes from great guard play first. It would be nice to have a shot blocker and super athletic forward who can slam it down and bring the crowd to its feet, but if you look at the cream of the crop in the A-10 (and really, the NCAA) it truly revolves around the guards and great perimeter shooting, at least if you want to go far.

Just take a look at the Duke team that won the national title in 2010. It revolved around 2 guards and a swingman (Scheyer, Smith, Singler). This past year's Connecticut team revolved around Kemba Walker, a shoot first PG and a 2-3 in Jeremy Lamb. Over the past 3 years, the top teams in the A-10 have been there mostly because of great guards as opposed to their front courts. Temple has had Christmas, Hernandez, Moore and Brooks. Xavier has had Crawford, Holloway and Lyons. Richmond's guards have been Anderson and Gonzalvez. On the other hand, a team that has been noted for having very athletic forwards but somewhat sub-par guards (Dayton) has consistently underachieved in conference play.

Now, this isn't to say that having a shot-blocking forward who can score in double digits and grab tons of boards is someone you wouldn't love to have. However, if I had my choice between KM and WR, I would always pick KM (obviously would want both.) Quite frankly, KM is more of a dominant and dynamic player at his position than WR ever was at his. Having a KM at the same level as his soph season with the current team will result in a huge turnaround, as this current team is deeper than the 23 win team from 09-10. Add an improved KM to this team, and you have something potentially special.

Then what? Will RM stick with it? Will he even coach this yr (probably). Will KM play this yr (probably).--this again??

SO I am not renewing my season tickets. --okay, see you later, but you said you would be in the 4th row at cameron and weren;t so why believe this? i know the reason you gave

Not pleased with what happened, the "incident", Biondi buried the two kids, big donor's friend involved, SLU allowed a paid lawyer in student court, we all know the story. --here is sarcasm, we were all pleased with how the entire incident was handled, from start to finish

I am thinking of a last, EVER, MB73 post, after which I will delete membership here, I will not respond to the wisecracks that follow. -- can you please think a little bit faster and be gone??

Good luck to the Billikens. --this is good

-the i don't like it and i'm taking my ball and going home and i am leaving billikens.com has been tried, not with great success, before

-i predict, just like rick might coach the SLU team this season, that you might be back under a different user name :P

1) RM still might coach this fall, might not. It is pending. But I admit, you would think he would have left by now if that was his intention, so it looks like he is staying.

Way to go out on that limb again.

2) Duke-Mich, it was a gambling tidbit, it was kidding around, not some major point. Duke was 12 pt fav over Michigan and inside reports were that Coach K was furious about what the thug Fab Five Boys from the old Michigan team said. Civilians like you heard about it a month later when it was finally reported nationally that Coach K was offended.

Ha! You weren't kidding around at all. "Civilans"? Man, when you leave it's going to suck losing all that inside knowledge about Duke.

Jbizzle, your prior post about MB73 was brilliant and dead on.

I did initially say that once the ridicule starts that you then throw out the personal insults. I obviously ridiculed your initial rant, as others did, and then you answered with the personal insults, like you did to others. It is just your way. It is what makes you endearing and entertaining.

If this is true about Pujols, then he would be around 40, maybe older. But this is probably me being just some Billikens.com stat head nerd taking sh*t you say out of context. In deference to this board, I will drop this from here on out. However, please feel free to PM me on the subject and we can take this off of the board. I have a lot of questions about the subject that I would like answered, one being how you know this for a fact yet nobody at ESPN, Yahoo Sports, Deadspin, Post-Dispatch, etc. has decided to report on this even though it is, in your words, no big secret.

Back to basketball, you feel that many of us overrate KM and what he brings to the table. that is a fair discussion point, but I also feel that you have perhaps overrated WR and what he brought, or could have brought to the current team. If you want to win the A-10 title, I think it comes from great guard play first. It would be nice to have a shot blocker and super athletic forward who can slam it down and bring the crowd to its feet, but if you look at the cream of the crop in the A-10 (and really, the NCAA) it truly revolves around the guards and great perimeter shooting, at least if you want to go far.

Just take a look at the Duke team that won the national title in 2010. It revolved around 2 guards and a swingman (Scheyer, Smith, Singler). This past year's Connecticut team revolved around Kemba Walker, a shoot first PG and a 2-3 in Jeremy Lamb. Over the past 3 years, the top teams in the A-10 have been there mostly because of great guards as opposed to their front courts. Temple has had Christmas, Hernandez, Moore and Brooks. Xavier has had Crawford, Holloway and Lyons. Richmond's guards have been Anderson and Gonzalvez. On the other hand, a team that has been noted for having very athletic forwards but somewhat sub-par guards (Dayton) has consistently underachieved in conference play.

Now, this isn't to say that having a shot-blocking forward who can score in double digits and grab tons of boards is someone you wouldn't love to have. However, if I had my choice between KM and WR, I would always pick KM (obviously would want both.) Quite frankly, KM is more of a dominant and dynamic player at his position than WR ever was at his. Having a KM at the same level as his soph season with the current team will result in a huge turnaround, as this current team is deeper than the 23 win team from 09-10. Add an improved KM to this team, and you have something potentially special.

I don't agree with most of MB's post, but the questioning of Pujols' age is out there. Albert's a good guy and good for baseball, so you won't get a lot of negative press toward him. However it has been discussed in the media through the years and is speculated by many that he is older than he says he is. I have heard it from the local media and actually the national media as well, that he may be older. Nobody has any proof or they probably would have come forward, so yes I guess it is all speculation but it has been put out there. It's especially been mentioned in regards to his contract. Questions were thrown out about him wanting a 10 year contract and how the Cardinals would never do that especially since he may be a couple years older than we think.

I wouldn't be surprised if Albert is a couple years older than stated. Apparently it's not all that uncommon with players coming out of some Latin American countries.

Is he 40? No. But, he may be a couple years older than is listed.

I don't agree with most of MB's post, but the questioning of Pujols' age is out there. Albert's a good guy and good for baseball, so you won't get a lot of negative press toward him. However it has been discussed in the media through the years and is speculated by many that he is older than he says he is. I have heard it from the local media and actually the national media as well, that he may be older. Nobody has any proof or they probably would have come forward, so yes I guess it is all speculation but it has been put out there. It's especially been mentioned in regards to his contract. Questions were thrown out about him wanting a 10 year contract and how the Cardinals would never do that especially since he may be a couple years older than we think.

I wouldn't be surprised if Albert is a couple years older than stated. Apparently it's not all that uncommon with players coming out of some Latin American countries.

As I stated to MB73 in my response to him, I am more than willing to take this off the board for discussion via PMs. However, I feel that it is best not to continue this discussion on this message board as it will inevitably derail the initial thread, as it has done in the past. My apologies for bringing it back up in the first place, but it was more to make a larger point about MB's posts on this board.

People forget the fatal flaws of WR - he cannot shoot a free throw and didn't have much a shot outside of 6 feet. Sorry, but tight games are won (and lost) with FT's. Shaq is probably the only guy who ever won w/o hitting his FTs and WR is not equal to Shaq. In short, WR would not be able to play at the end of games and other teams could easily stop him/us by simply fouling him hard. What's the downside with hard fouls against him?

Now, if WR had stayed in school and given effort both on and off the court, improved this FTs and, and in doing, learned to hit a shot beyond 6 feet, then WR could have become something. Now don't get me wrong, this means that WR would open up the middle for the guards, would take pressure off guys like RL and CE, would still rebound and block shots like a beast but those days are over ...

Maybe he has/will do this. If not, he needs to. Then, and only then, will he be drafted and paid as he expects to be paid.

I said he is 3+ yrs older than he claims, was 21+, said he was 18. I think jbizzle did some of his warped math and said that Albert's high school sequence I described would make him 40. WTF? (jbizzle, next time, "run it by finance, have them take a look")

Hrabosky said on TV in the KC series that teams passed on Albert because of concerns about his weight and age. Fox Midwest. That is significant. It is starting to get out there... eventually, it will.

Albert weighed about 270 in high school I am told, but played shortstop, hit 425+ foot homers, nobody knew what to think of him, where would he play, if he was in HS and weighed 270, not a good sign, and the age issue, so everyone passed until, what the 400+ player drafted?

(By the way, Albert wants to get back in ASAP for STATS. He wants his .300-30-100 legacy to continue. Not a bad person, do not get me wrong, but he IS a stat hound.)

Way to go out on that limb again.

Ha! You weren't kidding around at all. "Civilans"? Man, when you leave it's going to suck losing all that inside knowledge about Duke.

Hey, a person of note told me RM was leaving. This occurred a few weeks after the season. So I put it out there.

He seems to be staying, but the season is still many months away.

They're in the process of getting season ticket $$$ in... remember last year?

Also, I truly expect KM will play, but I would not be shocked if the clowns down there stopped him somehow; no info, nobody has said that to me, just a theory, after the way they treated Willie, no practicing, no tutors, etc. We shall see.

Weren't Barry Eberhardt, Tommie Liddell, and Kevin Lisch seniors when Chaifetz opened?

Hey, so I have a bad memory. I guess it just seemed like so long since we've had Seniors I thought it was back at Scottrade.

I said he is 3+ yrs older than he claims, was 21+, said he was 18. I think jbizzle did some of his warped math and said that Albert's high school sequence I described would make him 40. WTF? (jbizzle, next time, "run it by finance, have them take a look")

Hrabosky said on TV in the KC series that teams passed on Albert because of concerns about his weight and age. Fox Midwest. That is significant. It is starting to get out there... eventually, it will.

Albert weighed about 270 in high school I am told, but played shortstop, hit 425+ foot homers, nobody knew what to think of him, where would he play, if he was in HS and weighed 270, not a good sign, and the age issue, so everyone passed until, what the 400+ player drafted?

(By the way, Albert wants to get back in ASAP for STATS. He wants his .300-30-100 legacy to continue. Not a bad person, do not get me wrong, but he IS a stat hound.)

I said based on what you said he would be 40 because you said 'he played a few yrs of high school in the Carribean, a few in NY, missed a yr in there somewhere, then played 2 yrs in Independence, MO'. By your own statement, he would have been at the very least 23, if not older, when he graduated high school in MO in 1998. Taking few to mean more than 2, we then have 3+ years in the DR, 3+ years in NY, one lost year and 2 years in Independence. That means he spent at least 8 years in high school, per your statement, as well as just drifting around somewhere for a year. Thus, his minimum age right now would be 36, but he could be as old as 40 if he spent more than 3 years a piece in the DR or NY. This is all based on your own statements, which I obviously took out of context, like I always do.

I really like how you are now just saying you have a theory that KM might not play this coming season because the school still might step in and stop him. At least you aren't crediting it to one of your sources, but what even makes you think that? By all accounts, other than the Situation, KM is a good student and has never had any other issues at SLU since stepping on campus. He took his undeserved punishment without complain and was let back onto the team and in the school. Is this just one of those things you are throwing out just for the sake of throwing it out there?

Hey, a person of note told me RM was leaving. This occurred a few weeks after the season. So I put it out there.

He seems to be staying, but the season is still many months away.

They're in the process of getting season ticket $$$ in... remember last year?

Also, I truly expect KM will play, but I would not be shocked if the clowns down there stopped him somehow; no info, nobody has said that to me, just a theory, after the way they treated Willie, no practicing, no tutors, etc. We shall see.

I heard the same regarding RM towards the end of the season (I was very worried), however, those rumblings within the team/athletic dept have since ended especially after the discussions with Alex Jenssen. RM will be back.

KM will be back. No questions there. He could have been back last year (thankfully he never stepped on the court)

I said based on what you said he would be 40 because you said 'he played a few yrs of high school in the Carribean, a few in NY, missed a yr in there somewhere, then played 2 yrs in Independence, MO'. By your own statement, he would have been at the very least 23, if not older, when he graduated high school in MO in 1998. Taking few to mean more than 2, we then have 3+ years in the DR, 3+ years in NY, one lost year and 2 years in Independence. That means he spent at least 8 years in high school, per your statement, as well as just drifting around somewhere for a year. Thus, his minimum age right now would be 36, but he could be as old as 40 if he spent more than 3 years a piece in the DR or NY. This is all based on your own statements, which I obviously took out of context, like I always do.

I really like how you are now just saying you have a theory that KM might not play this coming season because the school still might step in and stop him. At least you aren't crediting it to one of your sources, but what even makes you think that? By all accounts, other than the Situation, KM is a good student and has never had any other issues at SLU since stepping on campus. He took his undeserved punishment without complain and was let back onto the team and in the school. Is this just one of those things you are throwing out just for the sake of throwing it out there?

Like talking to a brick wall. I said he is over 34+, possibly 35 by now, 6 yrs in high school. Maybe he is 36, that is the point. I do not understand why you keep saying 40. Only AP knows exacly, but coaches around town knew AP had played so many yrs that there was no way he was 18 when he got to Independence, MO. (no more AP for me, YOU bring it up every time I make a post)

RE: KM, not some major point, no rumors, I think he is "in", maybe I missed it, did we ever hear OFFICIALY that KM has met all the return-to-the-team "conditions"? If so, then he should be fine. BUT I do not think I have heard that yet. If not, rememeber the "victim's" family and paid lawyer made statements, said they were not pleased that KM and WR were given a chance to get back on the team.

Like talking to a brick wall. I said he is over 34+, possibly 35 by now, 6 yrs in high school. Maybe he is 36, that is the point. I do not understand why you keep saying 40. Only AP knows exacly, but coaches around town knew AP had played so many yrs that there was no way he was 18 when he got to Independence, MO. (no more AP for me, YOU bring it up every time I make a post)

RE: KM, not some major point, no rumors, I think he is "in", maybe I missed it, did we ever hear OFFICIALY that KM has met all the return-to-the-team "conditions"? If so, then he should be fine. BUT I do not think I have heard that yet. If not, rememeber the "victim's" family and paid lawyer made statements, said they were not pleased that KM and WR were given a chance to get back on the team.

What the heck are you talking about. KM was on the team for the second half of the season but decided to redshirt.

I heard the same regarding RM towards the end of the season (I was very worried), however, those rumblings within the team/athletic dept have since ended especially after the discussions with Alex Jenssen. RM will be back.

KM will be back. No questions there. He could have been back last year (thankfully he never stepped on the court)

Thanks, and I hope you are right.

When there were talks that Jensen might go to Utah, with PM already gone, I thought that was another sign that RM was leaving, per the word I got... when Jensen re-upped, that was positive indication that RM might stay.

Again, if RM was leaving he almost certainly would have left by now, we probably are in the clear.

RE: KM, I think he is "in", maybe I missed it, did we ever hear OFFICIALY that KM has met all the return-to-the-team "conditions"? If so, then he should be fine. BUT I do not think I have heard that yet. If not, rememeber the "victim's" family and paid lawyer made statements, said they were not pleased that KM and WR were given a chance to get back on the team.

I said 40 to prove the absurdity of your statement. You made statements that say that he played a few years here, a few years there, took a year off here...well, you are making it seem like he had been playing high school ball forever. You always make statements of this sort and then claim someone is taking it out of context or missing the point. It really doesn't have anything to do with AP and more to do with the overall absurd nature of all of your arguments.

And as for KM, he wouldn't have been let back in school or on the team if he had not met the conditions. Him being in school now and listed on the roster makes it OFFICIAL. So you don't need to guess or think that he is 'in', since he is as much 'in' as any other member of the team. End of story.

And as for KM, he wouldn't have been let back in school or on the team if he had not met the conditions. Him being in school now and listed on the roster makes it OFFICIAL. So you don't need to guess or think that he is 'in', since he is as much 'in' as any other member of the team. End of story.

The fact that mb73 still doubts that km is in makes it difficult to take him seriously on just about any of his other theories / statements.

I think you're just making things up at this point. Pujols did not weigh 270 pounds in high school. I saw him back then and if you don't believe me you can look at his high school baseball photos. He was significantly smaller than he is now. He came to the us, was in new York for a few months and then moved to independence because of the crime. But you want to make it sound like he bounced all over the world playing baseball an hoping no one would notice.

I really don't care. It is just getting annoying reading your half-truths.

I