OT Willie and the Draft

If his dad was really worried about Willies long term development he would have mentioned the D League as an option for his son. There he could actually work on developing his game and have a shot of making the NBA some day. Instead he only mentions Europe and the NBA as options. It is all about the money for some people. Willie will rot away in Europe. It will cost him more money in the long run.

Nice article in the KC Star about Willie's draft party. Says he was told about an hour before draft by his agent he probably wouldn't get picked. Also, Willie says he really wishes he could have played another year be cause he knows he would've been a top 15 oick next year.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/

I am bummed for Willie. Willie could have played another year and IMO should have. Having regrets is tough and I hope he doesn't have any. You got to wonder what's going through WR's head. Had he sucked it up in the classroom, the future was bright for WR.

I keep doing the "what ifs" with WR. What if he would have put on that 15 pounds and came back and played for the Billikens another year? He would have had great teaching and gotten the exposure he needed. He also would have at least erased some of the characters concerns if he had an incident free year which I think he would have.

A few slight changes could have equated to millions for WR.

Still pulling for him and he can now try and target the teams that may be a good fit for him. Best of luck to Willie.

Nice article in the KC Star about Willie's draft party. Says he was told about an hour before draft by his agent he probably wouldn't get picked. Also, Willie says he really wishes he could have played another year be cause he knows he would've been a top 15 oick next year.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/

He was late to his own party because he was playing video games?!?

I think it is telling that recently RM stated that since he has been at SLU, the one player he feels who can make the transition to the NBA is Kwamain. It is because Kwamain can motivate himself and works extremely hard at improving in all facets. Sure, it is a longshot that KM will ever make the league, but only because of his size and nothing to do with his work ethic, dedication or maturity. RM has repeatedly pointed out that Willie was/is not ready for the NBA at this time. He needs to work on a lot. Going to a camp for a couple of months for some 'Rise and Grind', being media savvy and using The Situation to cover up his other issues at SLU just wasn't enough to quell the concerns and questions about whether or not he was ready.

On another note, who throws an NBA Draft party at a downtown sports bar when it is extremely likely that you won't be drafted, and even if you are, it will be with one of the last picks of the 2nd round? Maybe humility would have been the better choice here. Just gather some family and friends at home and watch and wait.

I think it is telling that recently RM stated that since he has been at SLU, the one player he feels who can make the transition to the NBA is Kwamain. It is because Kwamain can motivate himself and works extremely hard at improving in all facets. Sure, it is a longshot that KM will ever make the league, but only because of his size and nothing to do with his work ethic, dedication or maturity. RM has repeatedly pointed out that Willie was/is not ready for the NBA at this time. He needs to work on a lot. Going to a camp for a couple of months for some 'Rise and Grind', being media savvy and using The Situation to cover up his other issues at SLU just wasn't enough to quell the concerns and questions about whether or not he was ready.

On another note, who throws an NBA Draft party at a downtown sports bar when it is extremely likely that you won't be drafted, and even if you are, it will be with one of the last picks of the 2nd round? Maybe humility would have been the better choice here. Just gather some family and friends at home and watch and wait.

Some of the people closest to Willie have consistently provided him with bad advice.

Some of the people closest to Willie have consistently provided him with bad advice.

Part of me feels sorry for Willie...primarily based on this. I'm not sure if I would have been successful had I not had the two people at home constantly pointing me in the right direction. But...

The kid had every opportunity to overcome it. Despite everything that happened, SLU gave him a second change and said...just prove you can be a student. We'll forget the multiple transgressions you've had...just show you belong at this university. After less than 3 months of taking what I assume to be the easiest classes offered at the U, he hung it up. You can lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink.

My advice? Get your head out of your ass, Willie. For every 1 person with your skills in the NBA, there are 50 who never make it. Decide which one you want to be, get rid of your undeserved arrogance, and get to work.

Well, his first two years he was taking the easiest classes at the U. Once someone becomes a junior, they are required to declare a major and have to take more difficult classes. But he still flunked out even when he wasn't playing basketball and traveling with the team.

Well, his first two years he was taking the easiest classes at the U. Once someone becomes a junior, they are required to declare a major and have to take more difficult classes. But he still flunked out even when he wasn't playing basketball and traveling with the team.

He wasnt technically a Junior academically, though. So not all of his classes were related to a major.

Willie is in a very tough situation.

What if there is a lockout? That means no summer camps or summer leagues with extended rosters. These are prime events for UDFAs to make NBA teams. Usually less than a 1/3 of 2nd rounders make rosters. I expect this year that most of the 2nd rounders will make their teams because there won't be any outside evaluation available to the teams. What if the lockout extends through the year? The NBDL won't operate if the NBA isn't.

Willie's best bet is for his agent to get on the phones and get the best foreign deal he can right now while continuing to work out with his trainer in LA. Sign on with a team overseas, then either play out the year or come back in the middle of the season when NBA play resumes if they are locked out, then get an NBDL team to work him out. Willie needs to play period. His NBA hopes aren't dashed completely but he can have a lucrative careeer if he can make a few smart decisions.

WR was offered a huge second chance by SLU and he basically shrugged it off thinking he was NBA material and didn't need an extra year or two to prove it. Clearly if he ever is going to make it to the next level he needs a whole lot more discipline in his life than he's shown to date. Good luck, WR, but you should have stayed at SLU and hit the damn books.

With WR's work ethic, posse of well-wishers and hanger-ons, dad'd infinite wisdom, and sense and sensibility I am sure he will end up at ......

.....Chuck-a-burger. Another so-called NBA talent sitting around the plasma, proving his moves are just as good as the 3D LeBron James on his tube. Talking forever about the shoulda-coulda-woulda. WR seemed like a nice kid ... many times reminded me of a doe in the headlights. He is walking proof of why every kid on a 13-man roster of over 330 Division 1 teams better get a degree and have a back-up plan. Sooner or later, the blame will be placed on SLU and all those around him for helping him fail.

Bottom line: he had more chances than the average kid and only lasted this long because he had a seven-foot wing span. Now he'll be able to reach multiple burger grills at the same time. If he gets THAT far.

-did WR sign a release to be allowed back in school? if not i wonder if SLU has heard the last of this 'situation'

Willie has no case to sue SLU. SLU is a private school free to enforce its code of conduct. They gave hi a release to attend another school of his choice. It isn't SLU's fault his grades were so screwed up he couldn't get in another school.

It is time that people stop looking for someone else to blame for Willie's screw ups.

WR could be brilliant in all this ..... I mean, his second big event at Applebees. Is he stylin' for the next career or what? Maybe I was aiming a little low with Chuck-a-burger. Maybe WR will be fixings thing up good in the backrooms of "THE NEIGHBORHOOD" ..... like the Applebees slogan goes.

BRILLIANT!

His agent should have advised him not to have a party like that. A small gathering of family at his house would have been more realistic. You don't hold a big get together when you THINK you might be one of the last 15 selections. But I put a lot of the blame on his agent.