Story on some local prospects

Guest BillikenReport

Forgive him for trying to fill out the recruiting class for next year first.

Berry will get plenty of attention from RM.

I'm going to put money on the fact that Majerus hasn't had a berry since 1973.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you don't care when Berry says he has two scholarship offers and they are from Purdue and Butler? Or that when he mentions the schools recruiting him the hardest, he doesn't mention SLU?

That tells me that SLU hasn't been actively recruiting the kid and hasn't made it known that he still has a scholarship offer after his lead recruiter left for another job.

That's really disappointing when you consider that not only is Berry one of the top prospects in the St. Louis area but also the grandson of one of the program's legends.

BR. I truly would appreciate your insight b/c I am not in the recruiting business and don't understand how it all works. With that said, Berry apparently went to the recent Top 100 camp this, his second year. Apparently, all the schools saw him play last year and now have seen his improvement this year. No doubt that all the basketball schools know about Berry and have expressed interest in him. In short, I simply don't buy into the significance that ONLY Butler and Purdue may have made him scholarship offers.

What does a scholarship offer to a Sophomore really mean? Nothing is in writing or binding, right? No way can ANY head coach really know how many scholarships they will have to give in 2 years. Presume most head coaches don't really care b/c, if needed, they will just kick the weakest kid off their team to make room for a really top propect, so in that regard, most teams will really have scholarships to offer. Instead, I'd suggest that these offers by Purude and Butler are both merely tangible statements that these 2 schools are really interested in Berry. And why wouldn't they be? Recruiting services can then tally these "offers" and sell this information to the demanding public. Still, does this mean that that no other school (other than Purdue and Butler) want Berry? I cannot and don't believe it. Florida came to town last month, Berry and his friends/family were so excited it made local radio, and yet we are to believe that Florida is not sure about Berry? Maybe Donovan and all the other elite coaches are as undecided about Berry as Brad Soderberg was about Harrelson and all the other kids.

To answer your question directly, I feel good that we are in the same company with Kansas, Mizzou, Illini, Florida, etc. SIU Edwardsville could make an official offer, and if so, I'd suggest "what does that really mean?" In short, I cannot imagine that Berry is sitting at his home in St. Louis wondering why only Purdue and Butler want him? No doubt in my mind that Berry has heard from Florida, from SLU and all the others and knows that they all want him. I'd suggest that scholarship offers to a kid of this magnitude mean very little.

To answer your other question. Is it good that Berry does NOT bring up SLU's name? Not at all. Quite probably it means that we have zero chance with him. Maybe RM has already moved on. Now if RM were desparate and wanted the local media and fans to keep hope alive, no doubt that RM and SLU could pursue him and no doubt we have enough ties and connections to cause him to be respectful to us and to say that he is/will consider us - whether or not such statement is really true or not. Believe SLU has been strung along by recruits, their coaches and the AAU community for years out of loyalty and/or as a favor to our SLU coaches.

IMO, RM should express periodic interest, whether it is in the form of an offer or not, and then turn his attention toward winning some games with our current players. If we have a break-out season this year, if we make the Tourney, if we become a Top 25 team going into next year with high expectations, then and only then IMO, will Berry truly consider us. Otherwise, Berry will do what's best for Berry and not feel any allegiance to what his grandfather did 70 years earlier. Ed himself chose SLU years ago b/c Ed knew that SLU had a chance to compete for/win the NIT. Ed would not have chosen his college (especially one with a mediocre basketball program) out of pure allegiance to Ed's grandfather. No doubt that Ed's grandfather would have wanted what was best for Ed and no doubt now that Ed wants what's best for his grandson. Now, if things got boiled down to 2 schools -- with 1 being SLU/his grandfather's alma mater with the chance to play in front of Ed (who I don't believe is in good health) -- then I could see this connection as a real plus.

Otherwise, it's just good memories and wishful thinking among the SLU faithful.

BR. I truly would appreciate your insight b/c I am not in the recruiting business and don't understand how it all works. With that said, Berry apparently went to the recent Top 100 camp this, his second year. Apparently, all the schools saw him play last year and now have seen his improvement this year. No doubt that all the basketball schools know about Berry and have expressed interest in him. In short, I simply don't buy into the significance that ONLY Butler and Purdue may have made him scholarship offers.

What does a scholarship offer to a Sophomore really mean? Nothing is in writing or binding, right? No way can ANY head coach really know how many scholarships they will have to give in 2 years. Presume most head coaches don't really care b/c, if needed, they will just kick the weakest kid off their team to make room for a really top propect, so in that regard, most teams will really have scholarships to offer. Instead, I'd suggest that these offers by Purude and Butler are both merely tangible statements that these 2 schools are really interested in Berry. And why wouldn't they be? Recruiting services can then tally these "offers" and sell this information to the demanding public. Still, does this mean that that no other school (other than Purdue and Butler) want Berry? I cannot and don't believe it. Florida came to town last month, Berry and his friends/family were so excited it made local radio, and yet we are to believe that Florida is not sure about Berry? Maybe Donovan and all the other elite coaches are as undecided about Berry as Brad Soderberg was about Harrelson and all the other kids.

To answer your question directly, I feel good that we are in the same company with Kansas, Mizzou, Illini, Florida, etc. SIU Edwardsville could make an official offer, and if so, I'd suggest "what does that really mean?" In short, I cannot imagine that Berry is sitting at his home in St. Louis wondering why only Purdue and Butler want him? No doubt in my mind that Berry has heard from Florida, from SLU and all the others and knows that they all want him. I'd suggest that scholarship offers to a kid of this magnitude mean very little.

To answer your other question. Is it good that Berry does NOT bring up SLU's name? Not at all. Quite probably it means that we have zero chance with him. Maybe RM has already moved on. Now if RM were desparate and wanted the local media and fans to keep hope alive, no doubt that RM and SLU could pursue him and no doubt we have enough ties and connections to cause him to be respectful to us and to say that he is/will consider us - whether or not such statement is really true or not. Believe SLU has been strung along by recruits, their coaches and the AAU community for years out of loyalty and/or as a favor to our SLU coaches.

IMO, RM should express periodic interest, whether it is in the form of an offer or not, and then turn his attention toward winning some games with our current players. If we have a break-out season this year, if we make the Tourney, if we become a Top 25 team going into next year with high expectations, then and only then IMO, will Berry truly consider us. Otherwise, Berry will do what's best for Berry and not feel any allegiance to what his grandfather did 70 years earlier. Ed himself chose SLU years ago b/c Ed knew that SLU had a chance to compete for/win the NIT. Ed would not have chosen his college (especially one with a mediocre basketball program) out of pure allegiance to Ed's grandfather. No doubt that Ed's grandfather would have wanted what was best for Ed and no doubt now that Ed wants what's best for his grandson. Now, if things got boiled down to 2 schools -- with 1 being SLU/his grandfather's alma mater with the chance to play in front of Ed (who I don't believe is in good health) -- then I could see this connection as a real plus.

Otherwise, it's just good memories and wishful thinking among the SLU faithful.

That's an absolutely poetic post, Clock. There are way too many Berry Kool-Aid drinkers on here that think just because Grandpappy is Easy Ed that the kid is going to give us a serious look. He'll drive by SLU's campus on the way to Gainseville or Durham or South Bend without any second thoughts.

He's only a sophomore, true. But there are 13 and 14 year old QBs in California already being offered by Lane Kiffin and SC. The specialized camps, AAU ball and recruiting websites give coaches a portal to these kids before they even have their drivers' license. We're in a new era now.

Guest BillikenReport

Instead, I'd suggest that these offers by Purude and Butler are both merely tangible statements that these 2 schools are really interested in Berry.

Yes, that's exactly what it means. It means those schools want Berry to play for them and are offering him the opportunity to do so.

I don't expect you to understand because you obviously don't know how recruiting works. You want the coach to focus on his current team and not recruiting, apparently thinking that future players will magically appear on campus rather than the coach having to go out and recruit talent that will make the team better in the future.

Recruiting is a year-round, year-after-year process that is a key part of a basketball coach's job and one of the major factors in the success of a program. Coaches have to develop relationships with prospects and give them reasons for why they should continue their careers at the coach's school. The coaches have to make the players feel wanted there. The earlier a coach can start working on building those relationships with prospects, the better the chances are that those prospects will actually consider the coach's school during the recruiting process.

Yes, that's exactly what it means. It means those schools want Berry to play for them and are offering him the opportunity to do so.

I don't expect you to understand because you obviously don't know how recruiting works. You want the coach to focus on his current team and not recruiting, apparently thinking that future players will magically appear on campus rather than the coach having to go out and recruit talent that will make the team better in the future.

Recruiting is a year-round, year-after-year process that is a key part of a basketball coach's job and one of the major factors in the success of a program. Coaches have to develop relationships with prospects and give them reasons for why they should continue their careers at the coach's school. The coaches have to make the players feel wanted there. The earlier a coach can start working on building those relationships with prospects, the better the chances are that those prospects will actually consider the coach's school during the recruiting process.

So players only sign with schools that recruit them early? And every coach has the same strategy in recruiting and there is only one strategy that works? Sounds about right to me.

Whatever the coaching staff is doing is working because we have better and deeper talent here than we ever have in my lifetime. I invite anyone to prove otherwise. Therefore, I am happy with what the coaching staff is and has been doing.

Do you believe RM has failed to do this so far in his tenure here? Because I personally believe he has done a solid job bringing in talented kids to play for us.

Nate.

So the lack of scholarship offers to Sophomores means the schools are NOT interested? I don't think so.

Do I think kids magically appear? No. Why do you suggest that?

I understand the year-round, year-after-year process of recruiting, I can easily see how a coach could get "lazy" in his job, and I can see the benefit of starting early and forming relationships. None of that is news to me?

I simply don't believe that only 2 schools want Berry to play them. Call them scholarships, offers, strong interest, unofficial offers, or the like. If there are 331 D1 schools, are 329 programs and coaches asleep at the switch? lazy? not able to make up their minds? not interested in Berry? Just doesn't make sense. Frankly, I expect more from you if that is actually your position.

Instead, I'd suggest there is more the story. For instance, if SLU makes an offer to Berry (to prove to you and NH that RM is not lazy or stupid) then don't you think that the other players RM is recruiting will start to sour on SLU? If SLU currently has no real chance with Berry (short of us becoming relevant in Top 30 of college basketball) but makes and offer to him anyway (and to all good locals b/c they are locals, b/c of their grandfather...) then that other 6'9" power forward, who may not be as good but who does want to come here, will be told by our competition for him that SLU really doesn't want you, that you are really SLU's back-up to its first choice (Berry). In fact, if SLU made multiple offers, then the competitions would tell that 6'9" forward that he is really SLU's 3rd, 4th or 5th choice but to us (name your school) you are our first choice.

Why not take it a step or two further? Why not just make official offers to ALL of the Top 100 players like a certain local poster would suggest? Wouldn't that be a strong signal that SLU is really interested and trying hard to recruit? Or would that be a sign that SLU is not first, is not truly interested but instead is just desparate or plain foolish?

Instead, I'd suggest there is more the story. For instance, if SLU makes an offer to Berry (to prove to you and NH that RM is not lazy or stupid) then don't you think that the other players RM is recruiting will start to sour on SLU? If SLU currently has no real chance with Berry (short of us becoming relevant in Top 30 of college basketball) but makes and offer to him anyway (and to all good locals b/c they are locals, b/c of their grandfather...) then that other 6'9" power forward, who may not be as good but who does want to come here, will be told by our competition for him that SLU really doesn't want you, that you are really SLU's back-up to its first choice (Berry). In fact, if SLU made multiple offers, then the competitions would tell that 6'9" forward that he is really SLU's 3rd, 4th or 5th choice but to us (name your school) you are our first choice.

You make a strong point here, but Saint Louis University cannot be a contingency plan for these kids. We need to recruit players that make US their number one choice early in the process, not the other way around. Majerus can recruit and make an offer to a two dozen kids, but if none of these kids want to come to SLU, what good is it? There has to be a mutual admiration society here. The student-athlete has to make SLU their #1.

I think you're a bit paranoid about the negative recruiting that goes on. Billy Gillespie isn't at Kentucky anymore. A lot of these coaches are at so many recruiting combines and AAU tournaments together and have a lot of respect for each other. The coaching "fraternity" has forged a lot of strong bonds.

Forgive him for trying to fill out the recruiting class for next year first.

Berry will get plenty of attention from RM.

Plenty of coaches manage to do both at the same time.

I don't think Majerus is a lazy recruiter like some, but I do think he is way too cautious before he makes a move on a local player. I think it goes back to his belief that if you get a local kid and it doesn't work out it has the pontential to cause major damage your program. So he wants to make extra sure the kid will be the right fit here. I understand that thought process, but I think putting that plan into action puts you behind the 8 ball when it comes to local recruiting.

Florida came to town last month, Berry and his friends/family were so excited it made local radio, and yet we are to believe that Florida is not sure about Berry? Maybe Donovan and all the other elite coaches are as undecided about Berry as Brad Soderberg was about Harrelson and all the other kids.

I knew the Bills never had a chance with Beal, and I think its going to be a very very hard sell for Berry.

But Ill be pissed if I have to watch Florida win a championship this year or next led by Beal.

Then Beal goes pro and I have to watch Florida win another championship led by Berry.

Plenty of coaches manage to do both at the same time.

I don't think Majerus is a lazy recruiter like some, but I do think he is way too cautious before he makes a move on a local player. I think it goes back to his belief that if you get a local kid and it doesn't work out it has the pontential to cause major damage your program. So he wants to make extra sure the kid will be the right fit here. I understand that thought process, but I think putting that plan into action puts you behind the 8 ball when it comes to local recruiting.

I understand what youre saying, and you make a valid point. I just don't base everything I believe about a kids recruitment on a few articles. Just because a kid doesn't mention us doesn't mean we have had no contact with him recently. Maybe it just means he's not interested in us? I hope that's not the case with Berry, but who knows.

You're right Rick is very cautious in his recruitment of local players. That's not always a good thing, but that's just the way he is. We aren't going to land the Beals of the world very often.

And personally I'd rather have a Mike McCall for 4 years instead of a Brad Beal for 1.

Clock,

All good points. The process is complicated and our choices can be thrown back at us by competition.

However, I'll add:

1) Schools that show early interest and offer early -- everything else equal -- would seem to have some leg up. I think most of us in all walks of life like being recognized, appreciated by our bosses or friends. Part of human nature. We generally are a bit skeptical of Johnny-come-latelys. Certainly latecomers can win in this battle, too. We see it every spring recruiting session. But everything else equal -- it is nice and should be beneficial if we have interest -- and it comes down to us and one or two others.

2) RM shouldn't be worried about making a commitment to an early offer. He can make an offer and cast off someone else.

3) In the specific case of Nolan Berry (because of his lineage,) I believe the lack of an offer (if Bills have interest) is an embarrassment. If I'm Nolan Berry and/or his parents and/or his grandpa and know that their likely Top 50 kid doesn't have an offer from Easy Ed's alma mater, I would be offended and wonder who is asleep at the wheel. Not only did Easy Ed attend the U, so did his wife (just deceased), many if not all of his kids and some of the other grandkids, too. Many that didn't attend SLU went to other Jesuit schools. Many attended SLUH or DeSmet. There has been a very close relationship between this family and the Jesuits for nearly 7 decades. If this kid is the real deal and there is interest from SLU, an offer seems simple courtesy. A no brainer.

4) That said, I am very concerned about being strung along. One of the things I like best about RM is the apparent discussion he has with kids early in their recruitment: be honest with me...better to tell me immediately if you have no interest and I won't waste my time. Nothing worse than finishing 2nd in a 3-year recruiting battle. Rick obviously needs to have same discussion with Nolan. If Nolan isn't really interested -- either now or by some point next season -- he needs to move on.

5) Coaches always make more offers than they have slots -- knowing not everyone is going to say yes. So I'm not overly worried about the competition using an offer to Berry against us. But the offer can't stay out forever...RM will have to move on if no go.

There seems little risk in making an offer now -- and hopefully endearing yourself to the family. That's one of the potential advantages you have in this battle. At least you'll have a fighting chance if next season ends up the way a lot of us think it will.

It is certainly possible that when RM talks to Berry next week he says "We're not going to offer you now. We're going to wait until after our upcoming season. Perhaps you'll have a better idea then of your interest in us. Then we'll offer you." At least there would be communication and the family connection not burned. But i still think there is more upside to offering now. Would show him our seriousness -- and a deal of respect. I would rather say "We're offering right now. You are exactly what we need...(and rest of reasons)...and while you can't commit yet and might not be ready to say yes anyway, you just watch us next year. I'm so confident in our team -- and your part in this in the years ahead..."

Nate.

So the lack of scholarship offers to Sophomores means the schools are NOT interested? I don't think so.

Do I think kids magically appear? No. Why do you suggest that?

I understand the year-round, year-after-year process of recruiting, I can easily see how a coach could get "lazy" in his job, and I can see the benefit of starting early and forming relationships. None of that is news to me?

I simply don't believe that only 2 schools want Berry to play them. Call them scholarships, offers, strong interest, unofficial offers, or the like. If there are 331 D1 schools, are 329 programs and coaches asleep at the switch? lazy? not able to make up their minds? not interested in Berry? Just doesn't make sense. Frankly, I expect more from you if that is actually your position.

Why not take it a step or two further? Why not just make official offers to ALL of the Top 100 players like a certain local poster would suggest? Wouldn't that be a strong signal that SLU is really interested and trying hard to recruit? Or would that be a sign that SLU is not first, is not truly interested but instead is just desparate or plain foolish?

Some of what you said makes no sense to me. A kid is not going to feel like a backup plan because you offered another player at his position. He would more likely feel like a backup plan if you wait until another player at his position that had an offer committed, and then you decide to offer him after the fact. You're likely not going to feel like a backup plan when a school is coming after you early in the process. Schools can take more than one player at a particular position and we have an example of that with Jett and McCall. If you have two power forwards you like and think you can get, you offer both of them and if they both come, great. The competition is going to say negative things anyway. You cant worry about that.

I was going to comment that this is a dumb thread and a dumb discussion ---- until I realized that it's really not and demonstartes perfect sense.

All the points made on here are valid in some way, which again only illustrates to me, that the recruiting game is complex, insane, and something again that I am happy not to be a part of.

First off, the program. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing relevant about the current Billiken program that is going to make any kid stand up and say "oh, boy, where do I sign up for that?" Nothing. So if Kansas, North Carolina, Florida, UCLA, Duke or any of the others come knocking, we lose. Period. There isn't a single kid out there who individually says "I'm staying home for the love."

Second, there is nothing chic about the current program either. We are not Mason Nation, Butler, Gonzaga, or even Xavier for that matter. We haven't made a tournament, let alone a Sweet Sixteen, or two staright final games, had a recent and prolonged scourge of a run, or even been a model of mid-major consistency.

Third, we are not a national commodity on the national degree circuit, where you garduate and turn your degree into the job of a lifetime. We are not Stanford, Northwestern, Notre Dame, or even a specialty profession as Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech or Penn State might be in the engineering world. You don't come for the game and stay for the degree here.

Fourth, we get no TV, not even on the local scene. What do we get, some midweek fill-in time to play Dayton or Xavier on CBS CS? ESPN shows the Big East, the Big Ten, the Big Twelve and the ACC. The ACC also has Jefferson Pilot and Ray-Com sports. The Big Ten has its own NETWORK. We are Charter. We don't even get invites to Bracket Busters.

Fifth, the future. How many guys we got playing in the NBA right now? Two first round draft picks since 1975? One if you throw out the aberration that was Hughes.

About the best things I can think of that we do have are facilities (half empty though), a major league city with no competition (but the Rams are coming back) and a Hall of Fame coach who might be an ###### in today's game of street agents, AAU ball hawkers, and prima donna 16-year-olds.

Easy Ed's grandkid? Where did the mother and father Berry go to school? Does that maybe matter to the kid more than grandpa? Just asking. But if a kid signs with a coach, more than with a program, I am not seeing the great ego and tiny pecker of RM taking a backseat with his basketball acumen and IQ to some of the self-professed Mister-Right-Nows that are out there.

I think it takes a special kid to play for RM. I don't know that I could. Props to Mitchell, Cassity, Conk and the rest. Special props to Remekun for having the wherewithall to stick it out. Props to Glaze for wanting to be pushed.

I see a lot of right statements to lots of people posting on here. Again, I'm still going with the overall in RM I trust, even though I don't necessarily agree with the entire package. We have to win next year to raise an eyebrow on some of these kids. But raising an eyebrow still doesn't mean it will raise a pen to a paper and put a signaure on a LOI.

It was my understanding that the A-10 has agreed not to play Bracket Buster games. I don't ever recall any A-10 team playing in those games. I think that is a good thing. The A-10 has done a good job in recent years of getting multiple bids into the Tournament. Some years as many or more than some BCS conferences. I don't think the Bills or the A-10 need to play in those games.

Regarding Berry, I am getting a kick out of reading some of this stuff. I have seen young Mr. Berry at several Billiken games over the past year or two. Trust me, he knows all about SLU and our staff knows all about him. Let's relax. We will give it our best shot. Every kid is different and there are countless reasons why kids pick schools. Maybe being Easy Ed's grandson works in SLU's favor, maybe it works against. Maybe he wants to stay close to friends and family, maybe he wants to go out of town. I have four kids and two chose to stay and two chose to go away. The best thing the program can do to attract players like Mr. Berry or any other good recruit is to start making the NCAA Tournament. It's time that begins this season.

I am friends with several kids who will be going to play sports at Division-One schools. Many will play at high level division one schools. These are kids and they want their ego stroked. They want to feel wanted. People on the board might not get this, but getting offered means a hell of a lot to these kids, and they remember who their first offer was. That we were not the first offer to Brad Beal or Nolan Berry or Malcolm Hill Jr. pisses me off. That we were not even talking to Berry is just stupid.

Berry has felt more wanted by Purdue and Butler than by SLU. That is ridiculous. We need to be in his ear every moment possible. I personally think we should have offered about a year ago.

If we could not recruit for 2013 or 2012 because we were working on filling out the current class then we are behind in recruiting and that is worrisome.

I am friends with several kids who will be going to play sports at Division-One schools. Many will play at high level division one schools. These are kids and they want their ego stroked. They want to feel wanted. People on the board might not get this, but getting offered means a hell of a lot to these kids, and they remember who their first offer was. That we were not the first offer to Brad Beal or Nolan Berry or Malcolm Hill Jr. pisses me off. That we were not even talking to Berry is just stupid.

Berry has felt more wanted by Purdue and Butler than by SLU. That is ridiculous. We need to be in his ear every moment possible. I personally think we should have offered about a year ago.

If we could not recruit for 2013 or 2012 because we were working on filling out the current class then we are behind in recruiting and that is worrisome.

RM's job is NOT to stroke the ego's of 16 and 17 year old kids who want to collect scholarships to then brag among their friends. If Berry really wants an offer from SLU, then why doesn't he, or one of his friends/family members, simply contact RM and express genuine interest and desire to be a Billiken. My guess is that Berry is simply not really interested in us. Whether received directly from Berry or from his coaches/friends/family members, I'll bet RM did not detect real interest from him.

Sure seems to be alot of complaining that RM is not showing interest in our local recruits but I sure don't hear any local recruit showing interest in SLU. Where's the outrage, pressure and complaining about them wanting to go elsewhere?

RM's job is NOT to stroke the ego's of 16 and 17 year old kids who want to collect scholarships to then brag among their friends. If Berry really wants an offer from SLU, then why doesn't he, or one of his friends/family members, simply contact RM and express genuine interest and desire to be a Billiken. My guess is that Berry is simply not really interested in us. Whether received directly from Berry or from his coaches/friends/family members, I'll bet RM did not detect real interest from him.

Sure seems to be alot of complaining that RM is not showing interest in our local recruits but I sure don't hear any local recruit showing interest in SLU. Where's the outrage, pressure and complaining about them wanting to go elsewhere?

I'm sorry but it is Rick's job to recruit 16 and 17 year old kids period. If this involves some stroking so be it.

Having said that, I have a hard time believing there's been no contact between the SLU caoching staff and the "Berry camp." Isn't it possible that "team Berry" said something like, "Hey if we're going non BCS, I think that last years National Championship runner-up is where we're going."

Also, not having any ties to the local highschool recruiting scene, I couldn't really care less where our boys come from.

Give RM a break here. The kid knows we're interested. Wasn't Porter creating a relationship with him over the last couple of years? I'm sure Rick can explain all this to him in their conversation next week and we will have the same slim chance of landing him as we did had Porter stayed and become his best friend. The only real chance we have with this kid is if we catch fire this year, ignite Billiken mania, become the toast of the town and make a dent in the tournament. If the kid sees how exciting that is, maybe(and only maybe) he wants to stick around and be a part of it. Even then he may still want to go to Florida to chase scantilly clad coeds year round. Think about it. If you were 18 which would you choose?

He doesn't just ignore players for no reason. And the idea that he's just lazy seems counter to the players he has signed. We just got one of the top 100 players in the nation and he verballed in june. Wouldn't have happened if our coach was lazy. And there will be another verbal this summer. No doubt about that.

I'm sorry but it is Rick's job to recruit 16 and 17 year old kids period. If this involves some stroking so be it.

Having said that, I have a hard time believing there's been no contact between the SLU caoching staff and the "Berry camp." Isn't it possible that "team Berry" said something like, "Hey if we're going non BCS, I think that last years National Championship runner-up is where we're going."

Also, not having any ties to the local highschool recruiting scene, I couldn't really care less where our boys come from.

How much you want to bet Berry ends up at a Duke or Florida. Rick could make this kids rear end drip and it won't matter.

I recall Spoon going after White and Romer going after Miles and Lee and all the a** kissing didn't work. That was rap aganist Sodie, we waste time at this level and we have to either get plan C or D level players or lets hold it till the spring or next year.

We are SLU. Romer can now with probably a phone call with Bruenig and a visit get sign a LOI because Washington is BCS. Doubt him or one of his staff made the trip to Germany. You watch, he'll probably end up like Suggs with minimal PT.

What gets me upset is missing out on the Harrelson's (when he signed with WIU) and Ahearns of the local recruiting area. Players that wanted to attend SLU and who would put in the post season.

Maybe Berry expresses no interest in SLU, my feeling lets move on. Frankly I am pleased with the talent that we have coming in. A player like DE I consider the ideal SLU type player. Found, because his size, below the radar, has outstanding attitude and desire, smart in the classroom, willing to put in major time to work on his weaknesses and a very court savey.

Important thing is to get into the Dance!

You said you didn't understand a lot about the recruiting process and that comes out here. It's not a two-way street and if you're waiting for it to become one, you'll have to wait a long time.

Berry has told friends and family that he is very interested in SLU. He has told reporters that he is very interested in SLU. Your guess that he is not goes contrary to what is coming out of the kid's mouth.

And it's not a kid's job to ask for an offer or show interest in a school. The school is trying to sell a player on the school and not vice versa. Players in the area that haven't shown much interest in SLU have done so because SLU wasn't showing interest in them.

If RM thinks NB is too good for us to land then I am disappointed in RM's recruiting ability and the decision to not go after a player who could be a huge get for our program and who has ties to the schol. If RM doesn't think that, then I am disappointed that we are getting out-recruited by Purdue and Butler.

You said you didn't understand a lot about the recruiting process and that comes out here. It's not a two-way street and if you're waiting for it to become one, you'll have to wait a long time.

Berry has told friends and family that he is very interested in SLU. He has told reporters that he is very interested in SLU. Your guess that he is not goes contrary to what is coming out of the kid's mouth.

And it's not a kid's job to ask for an offer or show interest in a school. The school is trying to sell a player on the school and not vice versa. Players in the area that haven't shown much interest in SLU have done so because SLU wasn't showing interest in them.

If RM thinks NB is too good for us to land then I am disappointed in RM's recruiting ability and the decision to not go after a player who could be a huge get for our program and who has ties to the schol. If RM doesn't think that, then I am disappointed that we are getting out-recruited by Purdue and Butler.

I'm amazed that you know the personal thoughts of so many recruits. It seems silly to me that not one school has offered you a position on their staff, if only they knew.