Story on some local prospects

Guest BillikenReport

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very True. But it seems to me, even with my limited historical lens, that recruiting has changed significantly with the advent of AAU tournaments and showcases and such. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes I think in general this is the way to go. If they don't it doesn't mean they are lazy, they could be just not interested in the player.

All due respect, I have more sources of knowledge than just reading scouting services online and listening to Nate (although I think Nate's info is top-notch). I have talked to Berry more than most of those recruiting services have. Berry has actually brought up SLU and wondered why they are not recruiting him harder (see HTB's twitter feed).

1) Several of those schools have recruited Berry harder than we have. However, schools like Mizzou and Florida can afford to wait longer to offer prospects because they are more prestigious and they know prospects will still be interested. Schools like SLU don't have that advantage and need to show their interest in a player early and often. Offering scholarships is the best way to do that.

2) What do you mean by Nate's AAU agenda. Nate is not affiliated with the Amateur Athletic Union or any of its teams as far as I know.

3) I'd argue we've had two great recruiting classes, one mediocre class and one undetermined class.

To Sum up my thoughts on Berry:

-He is a kid who has always said he has significant interest in SLU, even saying we were very high on his list.

-He is a kid who lives very close and as such is very easy to recruit.

-He is a top 50 player in the nation and could be a program changer.

Based on those three facts, I would've like SLU to put in the greatest possible effort in making this kid a Billiken. Instead, we didn't offer him when schools like Butler and Purdue were willing to. We didn't visit him during the contact period when coaches from bigger, further away programs did. And from what it looks like we didn't even contact him for about a two month period when recruiting was in full bloom.

That's what frustrates me.

+1

Not sure what to make of that perhaps there was some miscommunication. But Berry said about a week ago SLU had not offered and was not talking to him.

any chance the proffessional writer got it right and the miscommunication was on your end?

any chance the proffessional writer got it right and the miscommunication was on your end?

I guess everyone else has got the story wrong and this guy got it right.

It is, also, interesting that the people that would know on here if an offer was extended haven't chimed into say one has been extended to Berry.

I guess everyone else has got the story wrong and this guy got it right.

It is, also, interesting that the people that would know on here if an offer was extended haven't chimed into say one has been extended to Berry.

who is everyone else? I haven't heard anyone of any authority claim he wasn't offered.

Personally, I don't give a crap and believe how early you offer is of very little importance. I'm sure SLU has been the first or a very early offer to many local kids who somehow despite the early offer ended up elsewhere.

RM has done a better job recruiting than any Bills coach since I've been a fan, so as silly as naive as it may seem I prefer to believe he has a pretty good handle on which kids he'd like to have and how to go about getting them .... unless of course I hear that the majority of posters on bills.com know better methods. Yes, that's what I'll do, I'll believe in the internet posters who've never spent 1 second recruiting over the highly successful coach. And as far as info gotten from our kid genius, lets just say I'm not in the camp who believes he even has the slightest clue.

No I have an exact quote from Berry from Heard This Blog. The writer didn't quote. It seems more realistic to think that's where the miscommunication was.

No I have an exact quote from Berry from Heard This Blog. The writer didn't quote. It seems more realistic to think that's where the miscommunication was.

Your immaturity is very obvious. Give it up. ESPN > Heard This Blog. Even heard this blog will tell you that one, pal.

Your immaturity is very obvious. Give it up. ESPN > Heard This Blog. Even heard this blog will tell you that one, pal.

Never did I say it wasn't, And ESPN has a lot of syndicates. But I'll take a direct quote any day of the week.

who is everyone else? I haven't heard anyone of any authority claim he wasn't offered.

Personally, I don't give a crap and believe how early you offer is of very little importance. I'm sure SLU has been the first or a very early offer to many local kids who somehow despite the early offer ended up elsewhere.

RM has done a better job recruiting than any Bills coach since I've been a fan, so as silly as naive as it may seem I prefer to believe he has a pretty good handle on which kids he'd like to have and how to go about getting them .... unless of course I hear that the majority of posters on bills.com know better methods. Yes, that's what I'll do, I'll believe in the internet posters who've never spent 1 second recruiting over the highly successful coach. And as far as info gotten from our kid genius, lets just say I'm not in the camp who believes he even has the slightest clue.

So we don't count Nate and the Post as a reliable source?

So we don't count Nate and the Post as a reliable source?

I would say this, I doubt the ESPN writer says he has an offer from SLU unless Berry told him. Maybe, the reality is Berry really has little interest in SLU so he doesn't bring it up. Do you think the espn writer just made it up? If not where else would he get the info? This is a story about a HS kid, he talked to the kid and wrote the short article, nothing more.

Really though, I couldn't give a $hit. I just get a kick out of the fantastic recruiters we have on the board who moonlight as bills.com posters

Really though, I couldn't give a $hit. I just get a kick out of the fantastic recruiters we have on the board who moonlight as bills.com posters

I've been called whiz kid, kid genius, recruiting expert, and fantastic recruiter on this board. I'm applying for a sportswriting scholarship at Vanderbilt, if any of the posters here want to write me a letter of recommendation based on those kind comments my family and I would gladly appreciate it.

Just shoot me a personal message. Thanks guys you're too sweet. If I get it, tabs on me at Applebees.

I would say this, I doubt the ESPN writer says he has an offer from SLU unless Berry told him. Maybe, the reality is Berry really has little interest in SLU so he doesn't bring it up. Do you think the espn writer just made it up? If not where else would he get the info? This is a story about a HS kid, he talked to the kid and wrote the short article, nothing more.

The guy doesn't write for ESPN. He writes for an ESPN affliated site.

Metz wrote for Bleacher Report. It was a Fox Sports affliated site. It didn't make hime a Fox Sports writer and it didn't make his word gospel.

Metz wrote for Bleacher Report. It was a Fox Sports affliated site. It didn't make hime a Fox Sports writer and it didn't make his word gospel.

After I spent a year writing for the Peoria Journal-Star, a Copley-owned daily, mind you. The old "Urinal Jar" as we so poetically called it wasn't the gospel either, but I did have a weekly beat covering auto racing.

I also spent three years cutting my teeth with Avis Meyer and the UNews...pretty good to get a newspaper gig out of a University that doesn't have a J-school.

Let's just say that we're all stretching here when it comes to credibility. Who has it? Who doesn't have it? Who sort of has it? Do we need the brianstl seal of approval to make a blog legit? It's a shame yellow journalism has to rear it's ugly head again in 2011.

Arguing over the semantics of what is or isn't an offer is ridiculous. Nolan Berry has known for a long time that if he wants to become a Billiken he can be one. If he doesn't want to go to SLU it is simply because he wants go go elsewhere. Nate, himself, in his forum way back in December 2010 acknowledged that SLU was one of the first schools in on Berry (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=437&f=1334&t=6843359) Those trying to suggest that a future hall of fame coach doesn't know how/is too lazy/doesn't show enough interest in kids,etc. when it comes to recruiting look foolish. The talent on this team from top to bottom has never been deeper. When this translates into more winning (which will happen this year) the recruiting will only get better. Rick Majerus has made Billiken basketball relevant. I am thankful he is our coach.

I hope kids don't put too much stock in who offered first. It can't be that black and white.

If I am a school and I offer a kid first and then don't show him a ton of love after that, would that make me a frontrunner?

Kids evaluate schools for many reasons and if a kid finds a great school where he feels he will fit in nicely and see the court right away - if that school offers last they may land the kid.

So many variables go into all of this stuff. There is no one way to do things and there is no one way that will work with all kids.

I am confident in RM that he will find the players. Whether they play at a high school down the street or a high school in Tibet honestly doesn't mean that much to me.

It would be nice to land Berry because of Easy Ed, but if we don't - oh well.

I've been called whiz kid, kid genius, recruiting expert, and fantastic recruiter on this board. I'm applying for a sportswriting scholarship at Vanderbilt, if any of the posters here want to write me a letter of recommendation based on those kind comments my family and I would gladly appreciate it.

Just shoot me a personal message. Thanks guys you're too sweet. If I get it, tabs on me at Applebees.

Why aren't you staying local? Has Vandy been recruiting you harder than the lazy Missouri schools? Is writing for the UNews not big-time enough for you while going to school? I am joking, of course, just as you were with your response. If you can go to Vandy in your quest for a sportswriting career, then go for it. Many famous and well-respected journalists have come from there.

However, I will also say it is a tad hypocritical for you to come on this board and constantly be critical of RM and SLU for not recruiting and securing enough local talent as you state that you would like to travel halfway across the country to go to another school. In a previous post, you stated that you would like to go to Harvard (but felt you wouldn't be able to get in.) Now you bring up Vandy. Obviously, you have lofty ambitions that you feel will be better served outside of SLU or another local school. Much in the same vein, so do highly-ranked local basketball players.

Arguing over the semantics of what is or isn't an offer is ridiculous. Nolan Berry has known for a long time that if he wants to become a Billiken he can be one. If he doesn't want to go to SLU it is simply because he wants go go elsewhere. Nate, himself, in his forum way back in December 2010 acknowledged that SLU was one of the first schools in on Berry (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=437&f=1334&t=6843359) Those trying to suggest that a future hall of fame coach doesn't know how/is too lazy/doesn't show enough interest in kids,etc. when it comes to recruiting look foolish. The talent on this team from top to bottom has never been deeper. When this translates into more winning (which will happen this year) the recruiting will only get better. Rick Majerus has made Billiken basketball relevant. I am thankful he is our coach.

I don't think Rick is lazy. I am glad he is our coach. I just think his approach to local recruiting is overly cautious. I understand his approach to it. I just don't agree with it.

Why aren't you staying local? Has Vandy been recruiting you harder than the lazy Missouri schools? Is writing for the UNews not big-time enough for you while going to school? I am joking, of course, just as you were with your response. If you can go to Vandy in your quest for a sportswriting career, then go for it. Many famous and well-respected journalists have come from there.

However, I will also say it is a tad hypocritical for you to come on this board and constantly be critical of RM and SLU for not recruiting and securing enough local talent as you state that you would like to travel halfway across the country to go to another school. In a previous post, you stated that you would like to go to Harvard (but felt you wouldn't be able to get in.) Now you bring up Vandy. Obviously, you have lofty ambitions that you feel will be better served outside of SLU or another local school. Much in the same vein, so do highly-ranked local basketball players.

Just so I can say it, I have a friend who is an admissions counselor at SLU. He has been trying to get me to come to SLU for years now and I have considered just because I do feel wanted. It makes a difference having the relationships formed early.

I don't think Rick is lazy. I am glad he is our coach. I just think his approach to local recruiting is overly cautious. I understand his approach to it. I just don't agree with it.

Brian, I agree. Very happy RM is our coach. Undoubtedly has built the best roster in last 40 years. Really like his recruiting. But have to say it is a real head-scratcher if Berry has not been officially offered.

Have no idea is he has or has not. But if he has not been offered, would LOVE to know why that makes sense.

you state that you would like to travel halfway across the country to go to another school.

Not that far; would you consider KC halfway across the country? ...but the students may think they're in a different world when they go downtown...

Guest BillikenReport

It would be nice to land Berry because of Easy Ed, but if we don't - oh well.

Or maybe because he's the top prospect in the area, one of the top 50 prospects nationally in his class and has a skill-set that fits the Majerus offense?

My theory on the offer/no offer thing with Berry? I think he had one when Porter Moser was recruiting him for SLU but since Moser left Berry may not know whether he has one or not. If he hasn't heard from SLU much or at all since Moser left, that could leave him feeling like an early offer is no longer there for him.

Just my theory on it. The kid told me he only had two scholarship offers (from Purdue and Butler) and didn't mention SLU when he talked about the schools recruiting him.

Still waiting on recruiting expert Clock_Tower to tell me what my "local AAU agenda" is.

My theory on the offer/no offer thing with Berry? I think he had one when Porter Moser was recruiting him for SLU but since Moser left Berry may not know whether he has one or not. If he hasn't heard from SLU much or at all since Moser left, that could leave him feeling like an early offer is no longer there for him.

Bingo. When Majerus talks to him this week he will tell him the offer has always been there and then the real battle for his services begins in the fall.

Good post, Henry

Let's hope that some article or blog talks with Berry after he meets with Rick this week so this thread can end