Dear Majerus Haters...

because i truly believe that as long as majerus is our coach he is hurting our university and the program long term more than he is helping it with his short term push to "just win baby".

while soderberg and romar were both mediocre coaches recordwise, i think they did the little things about a program right that might have achieved a more lasting success story such as gonzaga eventually. and they did that with far less administrative support, and horrible facilities. god only knows how much success romar and soderberg might have had if given chaifetz, bigger budgets, etc.

The little things Romar and Soderberg did certainly did not translate to more interest or attendance in the program. You know what would have? More winning.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not touching that question with a ten foot pole.

We have enough bickering without setting off a religious war on here.

Then please send me your response in a private message. And I'm not trying to start a war. You brought up the issue, and I think it's of a lot more importance, in the long run, than SLU men's basketball and feelings about the personality of the head coach. I'm just curious why you feel the way you do. You obviously feel strongly about it, so I probably wouldn't be able to change your mind and don't intend to try.

Then please send me your response in a private message. And I'm not trying to start a war. You brought up the issue, and I think it's of a lot more importance, in the long run, than SLU men's basketball and feelings about the personality of the head coach. I'm just curious why you feel the way you do. You obviously feel strongly about it, so I probably wouldn't be able to change your mind and don't intend to try.

Surprised you raised the question in the forum originally and not in a PM.

imo having him as our coach doesnt help our program beyond W's. and i think our program is more than W's.

Sadly, Broy, you're not in touch with the rest of the world when it comes to W's. Putting up billboards claiming, Billiken Ball is Moral Ball, isn't going to put arses in the seats, get TV time, or carry the day on Selection Sunday. W's will do all that and more. So, according to you, we have a coach who motivates by denigration, and that's why players leave? Thank God none of these kids joined the military. I'd guess RM's tactics are no worse than most college coaches these days. Take Harrelson's case for example. Made to sit in a bathroom stall at halftime and then ride the equipment truck home. Now that's humiliation, but he didn't quit even when he never expected to play more than 2-3 minutes per game. I don't know why CS departed SLU but figured it was over playing time. But, if as you suggest, he quit because he was told he was the worst player in the world then he better take some self esteem courses at MO So. Why? He knows he's not the worst player in the world. He should have taken that comment with a big grain of salt and a grin. Sometimes, Broy, your high horse is so high you must need an extension ladder to get on it.

because i truly believe that as long as majerus is our coach he is hurting our university and the program long term more than he is helping it with his short term push to "just win baby".

while soderberg and romar were both mediocre coaches recordwise, i think they did the little things about a program right that might have achieved a more lasting success story such as gonzaga eventually. and they did that with far less administrative support, and horrible facilities. god only knows how much success romar and soderberg might have had if given chaifetz, bigger budgets, etc.

C'mon, this is so far out there, I can't believe even you posted it. Romar and UB going to a few HS games or being the grillmaster at a Church picnic was going to bring long term success to the program? When? The day after The Rapture? Romar blew it here. His recruiting strategy was so flawed it was laughable. And let's look at the stellar student athletes he did recruit. Pulley, Edwin, Kern (never qualified), McClain. Zo won with Spoon's players and other than 2000 not all that much. When he left so did most of his stellar recruits who couldn't even spell Student.

Ace is asking why is it ok for you to be so negative now when you didn't think others should be negative in the past?

I'm not commenting on who's right or wrong, i'm just not sure you have answered the question. I do think it is an interesting question.

Also, to be fair, you are often negative without Ace's prompting.

Roy never did answer the question. Apparently it was NOT ok to express negativity about the program during the Sodie era, but perfectly fine and even encouraged now. I guess he was only worried about the potential effects that the negativity expressed on this board would have on potential recruits and their families back then, but not now. If roy cared more about the future of the program than his petty personal crusade against RM, you would think his best course of action would be to shut the F up and support the coach's effort to get us to the Big Dance over the next couple of years, BECAUSE that type of success will help us attract a strong replacement and help that new coach succeed in the future.

Roy never did answer the question. Apparently it was NOT ok to express negativity about the program during the Sodie era, but perfectly fine and even encouraged now. I guess he was only worried about the potential effects that the negativity expressed on this board would have on potential recruits and their families back then, but not now. If roy cared more about the future of the program than his petty personal crusade against RM, you would think his best course of action would be to shut the F up and support the coach's effort to get us to the Big Dance over the next couple of years, BECAUSE that type of success will help us attract a strong replacement and help that new coach succeed in the future.

just like you and all the other soderberg and romar bashers did at the end of their billiken stays.

just like you and all the other soderberg and romar bashers did at the end of their billiken stays.

So now you are saying it was just lip service back then and now it is your turn to do some bashing...glad we got that cleared up.

Wrong again. I was nothing close to a Romar basher. I liked him a lot, but ultimately view his tenure here as incomplete. He just wasn't here long enough. As for Sodie, I started out as a fan when he got his first couple of squads to the NIT. I began to question his recruiting - when after he signed Lisch and Liddell, he then had about 4 or 5 recruiting periods where he signed absolutely nobody who could play. If questioning his recruiting made me a "basher", then so be it. The criticisms of Sodie were rarely personal. You, on the other hand, are leading a personal crusade against our coach. How do your personal attacks on his character help the program? Is that what you want potential recruits to read? You certainly were concerned about that back when Sodie was the coach.