Dear Majerus Haters...

imo having him as our coach doesnt help our program beyond W's. and i think our program is more than W's.

I don't really recall Sodie being a media darling or doing anything to help the program, YET at the time, you tried to stifle others from making legit criticism because you didn't like the "negativity." You have done a big flip-flop. How does YOUR negative, personal attacks on BILLIKENS fan board help the program?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

imo having him as our coach doesnt help our program beyond W's. and i think our program is more than W's.

Roy. Beyond W's?? It's all about the W's. W's bring more success in both future wins, better players, more exposure and more money. Not that any and all means are justified, but RM is not cheating, breaking rules, etc. RM runs off the bottom kids. We get that. That's been his m.o. for years. SLU knew that or should have known that. Every program does it (even Brad) it's just the degree they do it and the extent they go to in acting like they are not. Among RM's faults, he might be too honest. Again, though, that cuts both ways. No doubt RM probably has mentally beat down CS and several of the others as well. At the same, he is open about it and is not keeping them here just to keep them and mislead them. We all knew that before he was hired?

gonzaga, butler take your pick. do the right thing by the kids, be an example university with academics first with real student athletes and success on the field/court as well.

the student athletes and the coaches and the athletic department as a whole are about the university first and ambassadors of the school first and foremost.

doesnt happen over night i understand that, but i wouldnt sacrifice the right things to get there as i feel we have done with majerus. nothing illegal. i understand that, but there are moments not to be proud alumnus now more than ever. and for that, we have no better record than we have had with previous regimes.

Roy, you need to talk to the Administration, they are the ones who wanted a top 50 program. Maybe you should be our AD and then you could run the athletics like Butler, etc. and see how far that gets you with the good father.

I don't really recall Sodie being a media darling or doing anything to help the program, YET at the time, you tried to stifle others from making legit criticism because you didn't like the "negativity." You have done a big flip-flop. How does YOUR negative, personal attacks on BILLIKENS fan board help the program?

soderberg was liked more by the local media than majerus. and he never spoke out against the university as majerus has on numerous occasions. soderberg would speak at local beneficial organizations, he would appear gratis at high school coaching clinics, etc. so you didnt really have a good example with that comment ace.

that said, just to point out, you brought this up, i did not. so dont accuse me later of again running a soderberg cheer-a-thon.

Roy, you need to talk to the Administration, they are the ones who wanted a top 50 program. Maybe you should be our AD and then you could run the athletics like Butler, etc. and see how far that gets you with the good father.

i didnt bring the subject up. ace did. i just answered a direct question. and i am sticking to my beliefs. if you all want to turn your heads in the name of wins fine. i want it both ways. considering we are paying exponentially more to our current coach to get that, i dont think i am asking too much.

gonzaga, butler take your pick. do the right thing by the kids, be an example university with academics first with real student athletes and success on the field/court as well.

the student athletes and the coaches and the athletic department as a whole are about the university first and ambassadors of the school first and foremost.

doesnt happen over night i understand that, but i wouldnt sacrifice the right things to get there as i feel we have done with majerus. nothing illegal. i understand that, but there are moments not to be proud alumnus now more than ever. and for that, we have no better record than we have had with previous regimes.

I guess Gordon Heyward and Shelvin Mack were thinking about the university and academics first when they left early to go into the NBA draft. Same with Adam Morrison.

i didnt bring the subject up. ace did. i just answered a direct question. and i am sticking to my beliefs. if you all want to turn your heads in the name of wins fine. i want it both ways. considering we are paying exponentially more to our current coach to get that, i dont think i am asking too much.

This isn't my fight, but I do think you're avoiding the question a little. He is asking how your constant negativity helps the program. He wasn't really comparing the negativity/positivity of either Sodie or RM.

Ace did refer to the Sodie period, but only to highlight (in his opinion) that you stifled criticism of prior coaches, but now you are the one being negative of our current coach.

Roy-Jackie really wants a personalized license plate that reads "EASTSIDEHOE". Since he no longer lives on the IL-side can you hook him up? They give them away over there dont they?

I guess Gordon Heyward and Shelvin Mack were thinking about the university and academics first when they left early to go into the NBA draft. Same with Adam Morrison.

the student athletes should always take care of themselves first as long as they do not embarrass the university. i had no problem with larry hughes going pro when he did. good for him.

if you follow my comments i have consistently been a champion for the student athletes in our program first and foremost as long as they are being good students and good citizens while at saint louis university.

Roy-Jackie really wants a personalized license plate that reads "EASTSIDEHOE". Since he no longer lives on the IL-side can you hook him up? They give them away over there dont they?

too many letters. Go with ESYDHOE or something. I'm pretty sure I've seen a few similar plates pulling into PT's for the lunch shift.

soderberg was liked more by the local media than majerus. and he never spoke out against the university as majerus has on numerous occasions. soderberg would speak at local beneficial organizations, he would appear gratis at high school coaching clinics, etc. so you didnt really have a good example with that comment ace.

that said, just to point out, you brought this up, i did not. so dont accuse me later of again running a soderberg cheer-a-thon.

My point is that you have done a major flip-flop on your role on this board. Back then when others accused you of being a Sodie aplogist, your defense was something along the lines that it was not so much about Sodie, it was more that you didn't like the fact so much negativity was projected by our fans. You felt like it could be damaging to the program. Now, you are actively trashing our coach with little personal attacks. How does this help the program? If you really were a program first guy, I don't think you'd be spreading this kind of nonsense. You act more like a guy who is still stinging from the loss of Sodie.

As for Sodie, the media may have thought Brad was a likeable guy, but he was not respected. It was frequently pointed out that becuase he was our coach it was a sign that the school was not serious about building a winning program.

So, we have two players who made the A-10 All-Academic Team (mind you, there are only 5 spots for 14 teams), we have a player who can't play in his last year of eligibility because he is going to med school, two players that just graduated and will be working on MBAs while playing next season, a transfer from Toledo who in his first year at SLU got a 4.0 GPA and a freshman who the coach stated was also being considered for the A-10 All-Academic team. Also, the recent transfer from the team was on the honor roll and the best player gets good, solid grades and will have no problems graduating.

Man, I wish our coach would focus on the 'student' part of student-athlete more.

This isn't my fight, but I do think you're avoiding the question a little. He is asking how your constant negativity helps the program. He wasn't really comparing the negativity/positivity of either Sodie or RM.

Ace did refer to the Sodie period, but only to highlight (in his opinion) that you stifled criticism of prior coaches, but now you are the one being negative of our current coach.

+1 Thanks you. If roy didn't completely understand what I was getting at, hopefully you explained it better than I did.

because i truly believe that as long as majerus is our coach he is hurting our university and the program long term more than he is helping it with his short term push to "just win baby".

while soderberg and romar were both mediocre coaches recordwise, i think they did the little things about a program right that might have achieved a more lasting success story such as gonzaga eventually. and they did that with far less administrative support, and horrible facilities. god only knows how much success romar and soderberg might have had if given chaifetz, bigger budgets, etc.

the student athletes should always take care of themselves first as long as they do not embarrass the university. i had no problem with larry hughes going pro when he did. good for him.

if you follow my comments i have consistently been a champion for the student athletes in our program first and foremost as long as they are being good students and good citizens while at saint louis university.

Roy, your problem is that you think that we live in a perfect world and you expect everyone to be as perfect as you, and you know darn good and well that that is impossible.

because i truly believe that as long as majerus is our coach he is hurting our university and the program long term more than he is helping it with his short term push to "just win baby".

while soderberg and romar were both mediocre coaches recordwise, i think they did the little things about a program right that might have achieved a more lasting success story such as gonzaga eventually. and they did that with far less administrative support, and horrible facilities. god only knows how much success romar and soderberg might have had if given chaifetz, bigger budgets, etc.

I think the damage you are perceiving may be more than the reality. RM is not killing our program like you think.

So, we have two players who made the A-10 All-Academic Team (mind you, there are only 5 spots for 14 teams), we have a player who can't play in his last year of eligibility because he is going to med school, two players that just graduated and will be working on MBAs while playing next season, a transfer from Toledo who in his first year at SLU got a 4.0 GPA and a freshman who the coach stated was also being considered for the A-10 All-Academic team. Also, the recent transfer from the team was on the honor roll and the best player gets good, solid grades and will have no problems graduating.

Man, I wish our coach would focus on the 'student' part of student-athlete more.

jbizzle to insinuate this is some sort of academic high is an outright misstatement. saint louis university has long been a conference leader in academics and with spoon, romar and soderberg had outstanding student athletes. i believe while the billikens were a part of conference usa, we only did not have the leading gpa basketball team one time.

i expect our student athletes to be what you detailed above and more. and more being the negatives that you want to sweep under the rug. no doubt we should be very proud of eckerle, cassity, conklin and barnett, but we typically have had 3-4 players or more with similar academic credentials.

I think the damage you are perceiving may be more than the reality. RM is not killing our program like you think.

I agree. He might force a kid or two out that isnt cutting it but its not like hes destroying the program like Roy is suggesting. Thing is Roy is probably more harm to the program then Rick, considering recruits probably read some of the message board and his ridiculous comments about our coach.

Roy, your problem is that you think that we live in a perfect world and you expect everyone to be as perfect as you, and you know darn good and well that that is impossible.

no no one is perfect. especially myself. but i expect the program to exist in a saint louis university sense of right and wrong. that is possible as we have done it for a lot of years.

I agree. He might force a kid or two out that isnt cutting it but its not like hes destroying the program like Roy is suggesting. Thing is Roy is probably more harm to the program then Rick, considering recruits probably read some of the message board and his ridiculous comments about our coach.

then i guess the likes of ace shouldnt ask questions that he darn well knows will get the response i have given. if that is truly all of your want, dont ask.

jbizzle to insinuate this is some sort of academic high is an outright misstatement. saint louis university has long been a conference leader in academics and with spoon, romar and soderberg had outstanding student athletes. i believe while the billikens were a part of conference usa, we only did not have the leading gpa basketball team one time.

i expect our student athletes to be what you detailed above and more. and more being the negatives that you want to sweep under the rug. no doubt we should be very proud of eckerle, cassity, conklin and barnett, but we typically have had 3-4 players or more with similar academic credentials.

Every top 50 Program has its share of good students, average students, and borderline students. So what is your point Roy? Even our rock bottom program under the previous regimes had it's fair share of average students, don't you think Roy?

And you offer me roast beef instead of the business man's special across the river. I see, I see.

Should I go ahead and call up a table for 2? Next time I'm in town is June 17-19 for Humphrey's 35th anniversary party. We better book it now!