Jensen Next SLU HC?

Quite frankly, I'd much rather have a helluva recruiter. It's all about recruiting.

I disagree. A coach certainly has to be able to get the players he wants but most of being a coach is in fact coaching and developing talent

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As friend of the program Tom Petty once said, "The Waiting is the Hardest Part." Perhaps Porter got tired of waiting and jumped on a great opportunity for him and his family. I think Rick does in fact decide who the next coach is. Biondi would be ignorant not to heed his advice.

Porter himself actually disagrees with what you just said.

the fact that moser did not win a game when he "subbed" for rickma is indeed concerning and would have forced me if i was the AD to study the prospect of his becoming the next coach.

that all said, i think you also have to wonder if porter was trying to follow orders and doing things the way he was instructed and the way he felt that rickma would want things to be done not the necessarily the way he would have done things. there is a difference.

loyola obviously felt he could coach.

I think your right. Unfortunately Bondi thinking will probably be based more on economics (who he will get on the cheap) then coaching skills.

You know, I never heard Alex ever give a radio interview or anything. He'll have his opportunities now and I am sure Rick will have games he can't make, so will see how he is in game situations. I am willing to cut the guy some slack.

Boosters pay the current coaches salary and it will probably be the same case with the next coach. That is how it is done at many college programs now. Biondi will only go cheap if the money isn't there from boosters to pay the next coach.

Boosters pay the current coaches salary and it will probably be the same case with the next coach. That is how it is done at many college programs now. Biondi will only go cheap if the money isn't there from boosters to pay the next coach.

What makes you think the boosters will pay our next coach? I hope I am wrong, but believe that Dr. Chaifetz donates all this money, not only wants SLU to improve and go in a different/better direction but also have buzz and excitement for the opening of the new arena, Dr. Chaifetz says "what's another $2 to $3 million if it brings in RM", Dr. C. gives the money but then watches Fr. Biondi and SLU administration do what they have been doing since 1987 -- not fully support the program. Unless Fr. Biondi does more to piss off RM, this program will take off -- this year -- and all will be well. Otherwise, Dr. C. might just find other interests and hobbies to fill his days.

the fact that moser did not win a game when he "subbed" for rickma is indeed concerning and would have forced me if i was the AD to study the prospect of his becoming the next coach.

that all said, i think you also have to wonder if porter was trying to follow orders and doing things the way he was instructed and the way he felt that rickma would want things to be done not the necessarily the way he would have done things. there is a difference.

loyola obviously felt he could coach.

Good post. I personally feel like Porter was doing the opposite when he filled in. I noticed some differences on playing time, etc. I try not to put too much emphasis on those games, though. It would be tough to fill in on such a short notice. I base my feelings about him as a head coach on his time at Illinois State.

I'll respond to this in "Metzian"

I beg to differ.

Regards,

Brian Gregory.

hahaha, beat me to it, though i didn't know if i could bear to write out "regards,"

gregory could probably take olga kurylenko to bed, but couldn't keep her in it for 40 minutes.

Posted Image

not that any conscious male needs 40 minutes at that point. hrrrm, maybe there is something to recruiting... i'm going out looking for talent right meow, hactually.

I think your right. Unfortunately Bondi thinking will probably be based more on economics (who he will get on the cheap) then coaching skills.

You know, I never heard Alex ever give a radio interview or anything. He'll have his opportunities now and I am sure Rick will have games he can't make, so will see how he is in game situations. I am willing to cut the guy some slack.

Well, Jensen did do the coach's show (at least once) — way back when there was such an animal.

It is not just that PM never won a game subbing for RM. By RM's own admission, the Bills were almost never even "in" the games PM coached.

Can we just have a seperate thread set up so that whenever Metz and 05 hit that special time of the month they can go at each other in that and the rest of us can read the topic at hand?

Can we just have a seperate thread set up so that whenever Metz and 05 hit that special time of the month they can go at each other in that and the rest of us can read the topic at hand?

Back to the thread I think having Jensen promoted with his success as a player for RM and at the next level says loads to D1 kids that want to go on to the next level or who

want to some day be in College ball coaching

I liked Porter but he was not a SLU alum either; I would like to see Claggett become an assistant but if he plays as much as Jensen does in practise he is going to have to lose some

weight.

If he ends up being the next SLU coach I'm fine with it. Half the A10 teams have hired assistant coaches.

Hired their current coach from an assistant position

Charlotte - Alan Major was an assistant at Ohio State

Dayton - Archie Miller was an assistant at Arizona

George Washington - Karl Hobbs was an assistant at UConn

Saint Joseph's - Phil Martelli was an assistant at Saint Joseph's

UMass - Derek Kellogg was an assistant at Memphis

Xavier - Chris Mack was an assistant at Xavier

Hired their current coach from a head coaching position

Duquesne - Ron Everhart was the head coach at Northeastern

Fordham - Tom Pecora was the head coach at Hofstra

La Salle - John Giannini was the head coach at Maine

Rhode Island - Jim Baron was the head coach at St. Bonaventure

Richmond - Chris Mooney was the head coach at Air Force

St. Bonaventure - Mark Schmidt was the head coach at Robert Morris

Temple - Fran Dunphy was the head coach at Penn

If Majerus succeeds in turning our program around and he feels Jensen is ready to be a division one head coach then I'm fine with it.

If he ends up being the next SLU coach I'm fine with it. Half the A10 teams have hired assistant coaches.

Hired their current coach from an assistant position

Charlotte - Alan Major was an assistant at Ohio State

Dayton - Archie Miller was an assistant at Arizona

George Washington - Karl Hobbs was an assistant at UConn

Saint Joseph's - Phil Martelli was an assistant at Saint Joseph's

UMass - Derek Kellogg was an assistant at Memphis

Xavier - Chris Mack was an assistant at Xavier

Hired their current coach from a head coaching position

Duquesne - Ron Everhart was the head coach at Northeastern

Fordham - Tom Pecora was the head coach at Hofstra

La Salle - John Giannini was the head coach at Maine

Rhode Island - Jim Baron was the head coach at St. Bonaventure

Richmond - Chris Mooney was the head coach at Air Force

St. Bonaventure - Mark Schmidt was the head coach at Robert Morris

Temple - Fran Dunphy was the head coach at Penn

If Majerus succeeds in turning our program around and he feels Jensen is ready to be a division one head coach then I'm fine with it.

i'm not sure if it's as black and white as that. all those assistants are from BIGTIME programs. ohio state, arizona, uconn, etc. jensen would be the lowest assistant from SLU. i'm not saying he can't do well as lead assistant, or even eventually as HC, but it's not exactly apples to apples.

Posted Image

As much as it pains me to say it, it is likely a better idea jimbo to refrain from posting art (in threads where art is not expected). I for one could imagine an awkward situation for someone at work who is being productive on Billikens.com

As much as it pains me to say it, it is likely a better idea jimbo to refrain from posting art (in threads where art is not expected). I for one could imagine an awkward situation for someone at work who is being productive on Billikens.com

Steve, jimbo has you on ignore and he can't read this. :P

Steve, jimbo has you on ignore and he can't read this. :P

Well at least we hope he has him on ignore tonite