Jensen Announcement

Taj79

Where is it? Nothing on SLU site other than Jensen is still an assistant coach. Nothing on Utah site, other than their Coach K hiring the USC DBO as as assistant coach. Not saying it ain't true but the other thread already has Jensen gone alongside Moser. Which, when you tie one untruth together with a known fact, it gives the untruth credence. How can one truly understand what is reality on this board anymore? Post a link if you've got one.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is it? Nothing on SLU site other than Jensen is still an assistant coach. Nothing on Utah site, other than their Coach K hiring the USC DBO as as assistant coach. Not saying it ain't true but the other thread already has Jensen gone alongside Moser. Which, when you tie one untruth together with a known fact, it gives the untruth credence. How can one truly understand what is reality on this board anymore? Post a link if you've got one.

Apparently they were wrong - at least for now. In reading the other thread they provide no creditable source other than they made up their mind so my guess is it has not happened.

Jensen is out in Utah today and apparently has not made his final decision yet, though it will come today. It is believed that he will accept a position with the Utes though nothing is confirmed.

Jensen is staying

Jensen turns down Utah job.

Jensen has been bumped up a couple spots to top Asst for us.

I think Jensen was on the verge of leaving. The Utah people certainly thought so. Majerus had to promote him to get him to stay.

I don't know if this is the right move or not. Jensen has very little experience. I think he can handle it but we'll need a more seasoned Asst on the staff as well.

Jensen is staying

Jensen turns down Utah job.

Jensen has been bumped up a couple spots to top Asst for us.

I think Jensen was on the verge of leaving. The Utah people certainly thought so. Majerus had to promote him to get him to stay.

I don't know if this is the right move or not. Jensen has very little experience. I think he can handle it but we'll need a more seasoned Asst on the staff as well.

2 thoughts:

1. RM is definitely here for next year and probably next year pending any major health issues

2. Jensen is being groomed to be the heir apparent, but is he ready for it?

I am glad Jensen is staying. Not sure how I feel about the promotion. Would have liked to seen a guy with a track record as a recruiter get that job.

i have no problem with alex jensen as a staff asst coach. as the associate head coach? really?

I am glad Jensen is staying. Not sure how I feel about the promotion. Would have liked to seen a guy with a track record as a recruiter get that job.

X kept promoting from within, what kind of track record did each of their assistance have when they took over? Jensen surely is the most familiar with RM's

system. B)

I like moving Jensen up. If you have had a conversation with him, I believe you would agree. I think he was more valuable during the season than Porter (Porter's value came in recruiting).

i have no problem with alex jensen as a staff asst coach. as the associate head coach? really?

Has it been confirmed he is the Associate Head coach? There is a difference between 1st assistant and Associate Head Coach.

X kept promoting from within, what kind of track record did each of their assistance have when they took over? Jensen surely is the most familiar with RM's

system. B)

Actually X hasn't done all promoting from within. Matta came from Butler. Miller had stints as an assitant at Pitt and NC State before Matta brought him. Mack was hired off Prosser's staff at Wake by Miller.

Actually X hasn't done all promoting from within. Matta came from Butler. Miller had stints as an assitant at Pitt and NC State before Matta brought him. Mack was hired off Prosser's staff at Wake by Miller.

...After growing up in Cincinnati, playing at St. Xavier HS, playing at Xavier (2-time captain), and spending 5 years on Prosser's staff at Xavier. He was only at Wake for 3 years before coming back with Miller for 5 years. He's an internal hire if there ever was one. Matta was an external hire; he and Miller are the only ex-coaches XU fans don't like. Prosser technically was because after being an assistant on Gillen's staff, he coached Loyola-MD for a few years before coming back to Xavier.

I'm kind of shocked Jensen didn't go home and take the Utah assistant job. That might be proof of what a ###### state Utah is.

...After growing up in Cincinnati, playing at St. Xavier HS, playing at Xavier (2-time captain), and spending 5 years on Prosser's staff at Xavier. He was only at Wake for 3 years before coming back with Miller for 5 years. He's an internal hire if there ever was one. Matta was an external hire; he and Miller are the only ex-coaches XU fans don't like. Prosser technically was because after being an assistant on Gillen's staff, he coached Loyola-MD for a few years before coming back to Xavier.

I'm kind of shocked Jensen didn't go home and take the Utah assistant job. That might be proof of what a ###### state Utah is.

The point was that Millier didn't just move up a guy on his staff to fill his old job.

1st asst, associate head coach, whatever. semantics. just titles. you dont for one second think because his title wont be "associate head coach" that rickma is going to do all those tasks that porter was doing do you? whomever is deemed his top asst is going to pick up moser's slack. or at least try. which of our recruits over the last 4 years was jensen the lead recruiter on? exactly how much scheduling experience and negotiating game matchups has jensen had? what his record as a head coach?

the point is, jensen while no doubt a bright guy, a good guy and someone we want on the staff isnt at the point in his career to be the lead assistant on any staff. fine give him a raise. ask him to pick up the slack in recruiting. or start teaching him some of the other tasks. that would be great. but to expect him to jump to the top spot seems like quite the reach to me.

someone can say the new assistant is going to be someone more experienced that can indeed pick up those duties and performance of moser. but i question how that works. we are going to hire someone who is more qualified and experienced but then they would be below jensen in the organization? awkward.

my bet is that if jensen got promoted, the next asst is going to be a newbie or young is going to get moved up. again, i ask, do we really think rickma is ready to assume the additional time and effort that would require from his standpoint? and if he doesnt, that is a lot of inexperience between jensen and the newbie to assume business as usual.

and of course we havent even brought into the conversation that our other assistant isnt even a united states citizen that knows relatively a lot less about america and college basketball than the others as well.

i am sorry but no one is convincing me this is a shaping up well.

1st asst, associate head coach, whatever. semantics. just titles. you dont for one second think because his title wont be "associate head coach" that rickma is going to do all those tasks that porter was doing do you? whomever is deemed his top asst is going to pick up moser's slack. or at least try. which of our recruits over the last 4 years was jensen the lead recruiter on? exactly how much scheduling experience and negotiating game matchups has jensen had? what his record as a head coach?

the point is, jensen while no doubt a bright guy, a good guy and someone we want on the staff isnt at the point in his career to be the lead assistant on any staff. fine give him a raise. ask him to pick up the slack in recruiting. or start teaching him some of the other tasks. that would be great. but to expect him to jump to the top spot seems like quite the reach to me.

someone can say the new assistant is going to be someone more experienced that can indeed pick up those duties and performance of moser. but i question how that works. we are going to hire someone who is more qualified and experienced but then they would be below jensen in the organization? awkward.

my bet is that if jensen got promoted, the next asst is going to be a newbie or young is going to get moved up. again, i ask, do we really think rickma is ready to assume the additional time and effort that would require from his standpoint? and if he doesnt, that is a lot of inexperience between jensen and the newbie to assume business as usual.

and of course we havent even brought into the conversation that our other assistant isnt even a united states citizen that knows relatively a lot less about america and college basketball than the others as well.

Roy,

Weren't you the person a couple of weeks ago that said a top organization should be able to promote from within? Now it appears Rick may be doing that with Alex Jensen(although I'll wait for an official announcement to confirm) and suddenly things are not "shaping up well". You can't have it both ways.

Alex was Mr. Basketball in high school in Utah, played in the NCAA championship game, was conference player of the year, voted to the all-time Utah team, played professionally for seven seasons, and has been at SLU for four years. He's 34-35 years old. He is, as you said, "a bright guy, a good guy and someone we want on the staff." No, he hasn't had experience as a lead assistant. But he is a known commodity and someone I assume (based on his track record as a player and a coach) will work his ass off to do a great job. If this is the person Rick believes will do the best job, I trust that decision. I'd actually rather have a bright, hard working up and coming coach than a retread.

Roy,

Weren't you the person a couple of weeks ago that said a top organization should be able to promote from within? Now it appears Rick may be doing that with Alex Jensen(although I'll wait for an official announcement to confirm) and suddenly things are not "shaping up well". You can't have it both ways.

Alex was Mr. Basketball in high school in Utah, played in the NCAA championship game, was conference player of the year, voted to the all-time Utah team, played professionally for seven seasons, and has been at SLU for four years. He's 34-35 years old. He is, as you said, "a bright guy, a good guy and someone we want on the staff." No, he hasn't had experience as a lead assistant. But he is a known commodity and someone I assume (based on his track record as a player and a coach) will work his ass off to do a great job. If this is the person Rick believes will do the best job, I trust that decision. I'd actually rather have a bright, hard working up and coming coach than a retread.

Lots of people run larger businesses wtih less experience at younger ages-its not like rocket science, is it? Soderberg did it at Wisconsin at a lot younger age. Rick will still be there to ask questions or tell what he wants done.

Roy,

we should promote from within. but the organization should be staffed such that you dont have such an imbalance of experience and skills either. in truth, a lot of the duties that porter was asked to shoulder should have been divided long ago.

What was Porter's record while being the "head coach" at SLU? I don't know how many games it was but I'm 95% sure he was winless...