Jensen Announcement

Taj79

The point was that Millier didn't just move up a guy on his staff to fill his old job.

No, but Xavier did and your quote was "Actually X hasn't done all promoting from within."

That statement is true, but the last two coaches were promoted from within to the head coaching job.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but Xavier did and your quote was "Actually X hasn't done all promoting from within."

That statement is true, but the last two coaches were promoted from within to the head coaching job.

We are not talking just about the head coaching position, but the ac spots too.

Mack went outside the staff on hand when he hired his associate head coach Kelsey. X doesn't do all their promoting with the guys that are on the staff.

I'm not against promoting from within if you are winning. The X example doesn't apply here as they have actually been to the tournament more than once per decade and within the last decade.

4 years experience and high quality player experience isn't bad. It is just different from the extensivly experienced lead assistants we've had lately Brad, then Moser both with prior HC experience. I don't know but Diener may have more experience than this guy and he is a SLU guy.

It is more of a concern with RM at the helm as he is prone to so many things change of heart, heart attacks, infections, mother issues....

Alex was Mr. Basketball in high school in Utah, played in the NCAA championship game, was conference player of the year, voted to the all-time Utah team, played professionally for seven seasons, and has been at SLU for four years. He's 34-35 years old. He is, as you said, "a bright guy, a good guy and someone we want on the staff." No, he hasn't had experience as a lead assistant. But he is a known commodity and someone I assume (based on his track record as a player and a coach) will work his ass off to do a great job. If this is the person Rick believes will do the best job, I trust that decision. I'd actually rather have a bright, hard working up and coming coach than a retread.

Really good post. I can see both sides of this, but I'm more positive about this after taking a little time to think about it.

Heck, Brad Stevens was a good player for a D-III team, went to the corporate world and then volunteered for the Butler coaching staff in the summer of 2000. I think it's fair to say that Jensen has a little better pedigree than Stevens; I hope Jensen has the same work ethic that Stevens seems to have.

Really good post. I can see both sides of this, but I'm more positive about this after taking a little time to think about it.

Heck, Brad Stevens was a good player for a D-III team, went to the corporate world and then volunteered for the Butler coaching staff in the summer of 2000. I think it's fair to say that Jensen has a little better pedigree than Stevens; I hope Jensen has the same work ethic that Stevens seems to have.

if jensen would follow the same timeline as brad stevens i am all for that. stevens was a volunteer assistant one year, the next the dbo. then 6 years as an assistant. jensen's experience is half that at present.

hey i hope it works out. like i said above, he is bright and obviously loyal like crazy. i just would have liked to have seen a little bit of a bridge or more time with more duties first.

if jensen would follow the same timeline as brad stevens i am all for that. stevens was a volunteer assistant one year, the next the dbo. then 6 years as an assistant. jensen's experience is half that at present.

hey i hope it works out. like i said above, he is bright and obviously loyal like crazy. i just would have liked to have seen a little bit of a bridge or more time with more duties first.

Assuming RM is around for 2 more years, Jensen will have 5 years under his belt as an assistant. I don't want to overly discount the volunteer year and the year as a DBO, but I would imagine that whatever Stevens gained during those 2 years Jensen could pick up during his tenure as an assistant. Also, as far as pure coaching goes, I would imagine that being groomed by RM is about as good as you can get and better than Lickliter.

1st asst, associate head coach, whatever. semantics. just titles. you dont for one second think because his title wont be "associate head coach" that rickma is going to do all those tasks that porter was doing do you? whomever is deemed his top asst is going to pick up moser's slack. or at least try. which of our recruits over the last 4 years was jensen the lead recruiter on? exactly how much scheduling experience and negotiating game matchups has jensen had? what his record as a head coach?

the point is, jensen while no doubt a bright guy, a good guy and someone we want on the staff isnt at the point in his career to be the lead assistant on any staff. fine give him a raise. ask him to pick up the slack in recruiting. or start teaching him some of the other tasks. that would be great. but to expect him to jump to the top spot seems like quite the reach to me.

someone can say the new assistant is going to be someone more experienced that can indeed pick up those duties and performance of moser. but i question how that works. we are going to hire someone who is more qualified and experienced but then they would be below jensen in the organization? awkward.

my bet is that if jensen got promoted, the next asst is going to be a newbie or young is going to get moved up. again, i ask, do we really think rickma is ready to assume the additional time and effort that would require from his standpoint? and if he doesnt, that is a lot of inexperience between jensen and the newbie to assume business as usual.

and of course we havent even brought into the conversation that our other assistant isnt even a united states citizen that knows relatively a lot less about america and college basketball than the others as well.

i am sorry but no one is convincing me this is a shaping up well.

I have a couple of comments on this and the other threads on this topic.

First, I am absolutely amazed that any regular poster on Billikens.com who is a Billikens fan would take anything that idiot Too says seriously. He is a many years troll who is NOT a Billikens fan and he is a chicken #$%@ vulture who always leaves the board when things are upbeat for the Bills and then returns when things take a downward move like the "situation" last year--then he comes out of the woodwork and delivers his "expertise" which is nothing but a bunch of uninformed negative crap. Make no mistake--he has absolutely no inside information and he will do everything he can to try to hurt the Bills and the program while pretending he is a fan. The best thing to do is ignore him.

Second, Roy has become the second coming of Too when it comes to RM. He insults our coaches and posts negative crap every time he gets a chance. I can assure you that Roy is not plugged in to the team or the program and he does not know anything about how the coaching staff will play out. I can say that I am personally very happy that Coach Jensen is staying with the staff. I have watched him with the team and he is really an excellent coach with a wonderful attitude. Someone else beat me to it but he reminds me of the coach at Butler. He is a very nice guy who is intense as a player and a coach. I think the structure of the staff is still being worked on but I am glad he is with us.

Per Timmermann tweet

"Al Jensen isn't going to Utah, but there's no decision that he's the No. 1 asst at SLU. Moser's duties may well be divvied up among staff"

Differing takes on the situation from the Utah paper and Timmermann.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Jensen was a grad asst his first year here.

Per Timmermann tweet

"Al Jensen isn't going to Utah, but there's no decision that he's the No. 1 asst at SLU. Moser's duties may well be divvied up among staff"

Differing takes on the situation from the Utah paper and Timmermann.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Jensen was a grad asst his first year here.

That seems to jive with what Billikan said about the coaching structure still being worked on.

I don't think I'm the list of fans per Billikan either.

I think Billikan is too can-do and too overly positive on all things Billiken. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It's an opinion, not necessarily mine. I agree that Joey Fluegel is exactly as Kan-do says he is and Billikan is absolutely right on in his explanation. That's also an opinion and one I am more aligned wiht. I also believe that b-roy has a different take on collegiate athletics and finds many unsavory types lurking just outside the shadows and has placed Mr. Majerus in that light. Again another opinion and one I do not fully agree with but don't see anything wrong with accepting some of what is there as reasonable. Reasonable men do agree to disagree.

I like the analogy of promoting from within. I find it somewhat comforting that a Mr. Utah basketball with an All-American pedigree and relevant recent collegaite and pro experience chose to disdain his alma mater and stay with us -- for whatever reason. Kind of th epolar opposite of LoRo, eh?

Second, Roy has become the second coming of Too when it comes to RM. He insults our coaches and posts negative crap every time he gets a chance. I can assure you that Roy is not plugged in to the team or the program and he does not know anything about how the coaching staff will play out. I can say that I am personally very happy that Coach Jensen is staying with the staff. I have watched him with the team and he is really an excellent coach with a wonderful attitude. Someone else beat me to it but he reminds me of the coach at Butler. He is a very nice guy who is intense as a player and a coach. I think the structure of the staff is still being worked on but I am glad he is with us.

second coming of too......wow. of course then you accuse me of insults immediately after that insult by you.

of course you compare jensen to stevens? what? really?

i agree and have said above numerous times, jensen is "a very nice guy who is intense as a player and a coach". and i also indicated i was glad he was going to be on our staff.

in the future when attacking me why dont you accurately attack the point, which is that jensen is not a proven recruiter. he has no head coaching experience. and if he is truly the lead assistant/associate head coach, he isnt qualified for that yet and will require time to adjust to be effective.

can he be that lead assistant? of course. as dedicated as he is, i would expect he will pick it up. but is this the time to learn on the job especially when you have a head coach that only wants to coach practice and games doesnt want to be out front running a whole program beyond barking orders thus necessitating the need for someone to actually do the little things necessary to running a program. i.e. experience is needed here.

I hate to break it to the haters out there but Majerus is making recruiting trips. He is not just sitting in his suite at the Cchase looking like Jabba the hut and having his assistants bring him snacks and recruits.

I've seen him at my office (AAA Lindell) doing trip planning.

Did Porter line them up so that Rick could knock them down? Possibly. Can Jensen recruit as well as Porter? Possibly not. The loss of Porter does not mean the end of our recruiting efforts or successes.

Roy is a true-blue Billiken Fan. He's also like one of the legions of Obama fans in my neighborhood. They scraped the bumperstickers off the bumpers of their BMWs and Volvos when no one was looking, hoped like hell no one remembered, and are now major critics of the administration.....

X and O's wise Jensen is definitely a better coach than Porter. Porter can recruit, but I see no problem with moving Jensen up.

Alex seems like a very nice person and we know he is discipline in his approach to life. If you say he is a solid x and o's coach, then we are fine. We need a presentable guy to backstop RM. Alex Jensen can do that. The problem is filing the recruiting void left by Porter's departure. The new assistant needs to be a recruiting dynamo.

I hate to break it to the haters out there but Majerus is making recruiting trips. He is not just sitting in his suite at the Cchase looking like Jabba the hut and having his assistants bring him snacks and recruits.

Did Porter line them up so that Rick could knock them down? Possibly. Can Jensen recruit as well as Porter? Possibly not. The loss of Porter does not mean the end of our recruiting efforts or successes.

Roy is a true-blue Billiken Fan. He's also like one of the legions of Obama fans in my neighborhood. They scraped the bumperstickers off the bumpers of their BMWs and Volvos when no one was looking, hoped like hell no one remembered, and are now major critics of the administration.....

just one slight correction rich. i am a major critic of rickma and a minor critic of biondi. beyond that i am a fan of our athletic department completely and applaud their efforts with what they have to work with.

i plan to be at slu tomorrow in the wind, below average temps and probable rain supporting the baseball and softball teams at the billiken club event. i am sure all the rest of you will all be there as well?

Roy is like a couple of tea partiers I know... shrill and self-righteous... An outspoken critic of the current regime, yet someone who tried to stifle criticism of the previous regime while they were steering us in the wrong direction... While the current regime tries to dig out of a bad situation largely created by the previous regime, they continue to complain.

Roy is like a couple of tea partiers I know... shrill and self-righteous... An outspoken critic of the current regime, yet someone who tried to stifle criticism of the previous regime while they were steering us in the wrong direction... While the current regime tries to dig out of a bad situation largely created by the previous regime, they continue to complain.

Touche and well done (though it is getting a wee bit late to pin the blame on the past....)

just one slight correction rich. i am a major critic of rickma and a minor critic of biondi. beyond that i am a fan of our athletic department completely and applaud their efforts with what they have to work with.

i plan to be at slu tomorrow in the wind, below average temps and probable rain supporting the baseball and softball teams at the billiken club event. i am sure all the rest of you will all be there as well?

Roy, are you bringing the beer? I plan on going to the baseball game.