willie declaring for the NBA draft

brianstl

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why any of his other "issues" - none of which anyone seems to officially know for sure what they are - were allowed to be factored into the decision by the kangaroo court. If he had done so many awful things, why wasn't he penalized for them when they occurred?

Exactly, thats a point most everyone seems to not grasp.

Sure, he was ineligible in the fall (though it was not made public) but he was in school, going to class.

Then the set-up: student court, revenge minded politically connected parents and prominent attorney are allowed in the proceedings, a violation of student court bylaws.

Then Willie is yanked out of school... and all he did was sit in the apartment during the incident. Why?

And HE was not allowed to practice with the team Jan-March. Devastating. Why?

It is my understanding he would not have played the first semester no matter the incident

Yes, we all know that, but then he was kicked out of school in Oct. and banned from practicing for the entire yr after the "incident". He just sat in the other room... two other players were with the female, not Wille.

Willie had his chances. I do think the school had it backwards though. It seems to me like he should have been suspended or possibly even kicked out before the incident last spring. I know he was going to be suspended for the semester or whatever, but I think a punishment should have come before then for prior offenses. Now I have no clue what happened, if anything, but if what half of what people say is true, he probably should have been suspended/kicked out. Also, I guess the school viewed the thing last spring as a final straw but he probably shouldn't have received such a harsh punishment. I wish he would come back and play for us next year. If he wants to get to the NBA it's his best option. People say that IV went through the same thing several years ago, but it is obviously different. IV could definitely play overseas. He had connections over there, while Willie doesn't really have anything like that.

if WR was in fact punished at the time of his misdeeds, then so be it. i was under the impression that he wasn't. but that still doesn't excuse his treatment at the "court" which was a violation of all standards of fairness. it was in fact a disgrace and done for the purpose of appeasing a big donor, cook i believe.

Disagree. This is still a tourney team without Willie.

NIT? I don't see this team (no WR) finishing in the top 2 or 3 of the conference. And that's what it takes to make the NCAA.

Only is we find a juco Big to replace willie. Manning won't be a viable option as a skinny frosh.

Agree to disagree. Willie, if he doesn't come back, would have been the icing on the top in my opinion. From an offensive point of view, we will have more options than I can remember in the last 15 years: KM, MM, JB (taking a leap of faith here), DE, BC (became pretty reliable as the year went on), and RL. JJ could fall into this category too. Hopefully, the increased scoring options will allow the game to come to KC and CE and they can regain their scoring touches.

On the defensive end, we have essentially the same strong defensive team from last year coming back. Outside of delroy james, I can't think of a big man that killed us.

Also, we had 5-6 games last year that could have easily been wins by just adding KM. We weren't that far away from a 19-12 season. Now in addition to KM, throw in JB, a healthy CE and matured freshmen and I like what we have.

Again, having WR would make the chance for a special year much more probable; however, I'm excited about what we have coming back.

As for WR, any confirmation that he has moved out and left SLU? Pretty sad that he can't even make it through more than 2 months of school. We should still make the dance next season. We get our star PG back but we need another player to really step up, like one of the 4 freshmen, CE, or JB.

Only is we find a juco Big to replace willie. Manning won't be a viable option as a skinny frosh.

Exactly.

Perhaps in this situation, though unlikely, Majerus can find a strong JUCO big. Otherwise, we will be back to '09-'10, NIT material.

We have excellent 1 - 2 & 3's going into next yr, our 4 & 5's are not NCAA caliber without Willie or another power inside FORCE.

Agree to disagree. Willie, if he doesn't come back, would have been the icing on the top in my opinion. From an offensive point of view, we will have more options than I can remember in the last 15 years: KM, MM, JB (taking a leap of faith here), DE, BC (became pretty reliable as the year went on), and RL. JJ could fall into this category too. Hopefully, the increased scoring options will allow the game to come to KC and CE and they can regain their scoring touches.

On the defensive end, we have essentially the same strong defensive team from last year coming back. Outside of delroy james, I can't think of a big man that killed us.

Also, we had 5-6 games last year that could have easily been wins by just adding KM. We weren't that far away from a 19-12 season. Now in addition to KM, throw in JB, a healthy CE and matured freshmen and I like what we have.

Again, having WR would make the chance for a special year much more probable; however, I'm excited about what we have coming back.

Every big man kills us unless we collapse our entire defense....willie plays man up on opposing 5s. Even that gumpy Sickma kid from Portland killed us. He hit is career high by halftime against us.

We will contend for the A-10 next year. Don't forget a bunch of other players are leaving the conference as well through transfer or graduation. A-10 will be significantly weaker. We should win more games with KM on the team alone. JM and JB are a bonus. Give me some blue koolaid. I need to dance.

Every big man kills us unless we collapse our entire defense....willie plays man up on opposing 5s. Even that gumpy Sickma kid from Portland killed us. He hit is career high by halftime against us.

Forgot about the kid from Portland, you're right.

Still disagree that every big kills us. Lavoy Allen? Frease? Geriot/Garrett? Wright (had an OK game the first meeting and the 2nd was out of hand where he picked up some garbage points)? Some other centers had decent games against us, but our defense was solid throughout the year. Our offense let us down more than our D. I also think Loe will be a much bigger presence on D, and there were signs of this in the final games of the season.

Forgot about the kid from Portland, you're right.

Still disagree that every big kills us. Lavoy Allen? Frease? Geriot/Garrett? Wright (had an OK game the first meeting and the 2nd was out of hand where he picked up some garbage points)? Some other centers had decent games against us, but our defense was solid throughout the year. Our offense let us down more than our D. I also think Loe will be a much bigger presence on D, and there were signs of this in the final games of the season.

We got better defensively inside as the year went on. Early in the year it was a layup drill in the paint. There was substantial pogress made by the conference schedule but it was not good to that point. I think we will be ok defensively, I am just a little concerned about the offensive end when we hit these stretched that we cannot throw it in the ocean. We need a presence that can at least makes teams pay attention and opens up some consistant looks for our shooters.

I'm not stepping on the ledge with you guys just yet. He could be just going through the process to gain the experience. Why wouldn't you? You get to practice with high level players under the tutelage and eye of NBA talent scouts. So I will wait and see on this one.

I think this should be a tourney team next year with or without Willie Reed.

but for the kangaroo court, the outcome might have been different, assuming he is gone. this university has lost a lot of its moral authority as far as i'm concerned. one of the posters said he should have been dealt with immediately regarding these "other" infractions. he is correct. the university knows better(so do their attorneys) but they chose this course of action anyway. sad.

How does anyone know that well before the incident, Willie was not informed that his academic performance and/or other issues would prevent him from participating with the team? There are a lot of suppositions going on, some of which are blatantly inaccurate, but which continue nonetheless.

As for Willie entering the draft, that seems absurd to me. I hope he enjoys his party at Appleby's because if he keeps making poor decisions, his next trip will be to pick up an employment application.

Willie wasn't all that as a defender.

Tell that to the SLU team that got killed this year in the paint.

Because the guys that played this year in were not good defenders in the paint....... that means Willie is a good defender?

What kind of logic is that?

You must have forgot the big games Jason Love, Jerrell Williams, Terrell Vinson, Chris Braswell, LaVoy Allen, etc had against the Bills last year when Willie was playing.

Because the guys that played this year in were not good defenders in the paint....... that means Willie is a good defender?

What kind of logic is that?

You must have forgot the big games Jason Love, Jerrell Williams, Terrell Vinson, Chris Braswell, LaVoy Allen, etc had against the Bills last year when Willie was playing.

Not accurate. Willie wasn't a spectacular 1 on 1 defender. Opposing big men could score on him. But his shotblocking erased many drives to the hoop and forced opposing guards to play on the perimeter against our stout 3 point defense. Also for every bucket opposing big men were getting Willie matched them on the other end. We won't have that without him.