Barnett

SLU_Nick

People on here are already penciling JB in for next year as a starter who will shoot at a 45-50% clip from 3 point land. Can we please please temper our expectations just a little bit. It is almost as if we do not learn our lesson.

Year after year we hype up someone as a impact starter and 90% of the time it just doesnt happen (Newborne, Loe, Polk, etc).

I am excited for next season just like everyone else...but can the board members just not be mortified if JB takes a little time to crack the starting line-up/earn significant minutes.

We will have KM, MM, BC, WR, JJ, KC, DE, CE, RL, and JB. My starting line up from where I am sitting now is. WR, RL, DE, KC, KM...and MM is the first guard off the bench for me. Yes I am assuming Loe makes strides in the off-season. But even then, we have people like CE and BC who are used to playing big minutes as well. Not to say it is not a great problem to have...

Thoughts?

-Nick

People on here are already penciling JB in for next year as a starter who will shoot at a 45-50% clip from 3 point land. Can we please please temper our expectations just a little bit. It is almost as if we do not learn our lesson.

Year after year we hype up someone as a impact starter and 90% of the time it just doesnt happen (Newborne, Loe, Polk, etc).

I am excited for next season just like everyone else...but can the board members just not be mortified if JB takes a little time to crack the starting line-up/earn significant minutes.

We will have KM, MM, BC, WR, JJ, KC, DE, CE, RL, and JB. My starting line up from where I am sitting now is. WR, RL, DE, KC, KM...and MM is the first guard off the bench for me. Yes I am assuming Loe makes strides in the off-season. But even then, we have people like CE and BC who are used to playing big minutes as well. Not to say it is not a great problem to have...

Thoughts?

-Nick

Completely agree. That would be my starting five as well. If JB is half as good as expected, he will be a great addition.

While I don't expect him to shoot 45-50% from 3 point land, I expect him to get significant minutes in short order. Wasn't he the leading scorer for Toledo as a Freshman? He has a year of college ball under his belt. He has been immersed in RM's system for a year. By most accounts, we have a real talented 6'5" guy who has played D-1 ball and excelled.

I agree. I've been following this team for too many years to take ANYTHING for granted. I hope Evans and Loe seriously hit the weight room. I hope

Willie is back, but I'll believe it when I see it. And I am anxious to see what Barnett can do but I'm not counting on anything. I really think having Kwamain

back will make a BIG difference. And hopefully Ellis is healed and his shot returns.

Next year has GOT to be better.

My base starting 5, which is subject to change based on the opponent.

KM

KC (but JB wouldn't surprise me here)

DE

BC (not sure CE, RL or CR beats him out the way his play has improved this year)

WR

Given the amount of quality interchangeable parts we'll have (MM, JJ, CE, CR, RL, JB), I doubt i'll be upset with any starting 5 on a given night.

Still don't see Conklin as a starter on a tournament team, though his play has certainly improved.

I think our most dynamic five would be:

KM

MM

DE

CE

WR

I realize KC and BC will probably be starters, so I am not saying that is what the starting five will be, but I think if the above five are all playing their best ball they would be very dynamic, and able to beat you in so many ways.

Thoughts?

-Nick

C'mon, Nick - we've got nothing going this season. Don't suck us dry of what little hope we have :)

But seriously, I hear what you are saying. Expectations should be tempered for Barnett. However, as a freshman he averaged 13 points a game (which none of our players have managed to do this year) and shot 37% from 3 and 80% from the line. He scored in double figures 24 times. Now, his team really sucked (I think they won four games) so the scoring might be a bit misleading. But the shooting percentages should be legit. Plus he was the co-captain of his team as a freshman. Pretty impressive.

I'm excited about Barnett, but don't think he'll match his freshman stats next year because our team will be better and he won't have to score as much. I'd be happy with 9 points a game and the same shooting percentages.

Prediction for starting lineup next year: KM, KC, JB, BC, WR

Best lineup? KM, KC, DE, RL, WR

Rick's going to have so many experienced guys that I really think the biggest factor for playing time will be defense. I really hope Rob and Cody continue their progress defensively, because we need them to be a special team.

I, too would temper my expectations of Barnett. I think he will be a great addition to the team and I look forward to seeing him play. However we shouldn't make too much of his college experience so far. He was the best on the worst team(Toledo...4-27 last year) in a weak conference (MAC). And Toledo is about the same this year without him. Playing in the A-10 next year for a good team(hopefully)will be a big step up for him. This year of transition will help. I am just agreeing with the premise of this thread that we need to temper our expectations of Barnett at least initially.

Thoughts?

-Nick

I probably agree with that starting lineup. It's difficult to know how good Barnett is given that none of us have ever seen him play a D-1 game. If he's good enough to pass DE or KC on the depth chart, then he's obviously a stud and will have a big impact on next year's team.

Man, I wish it was next year already. Rotation and playing time is going to be very interesting.

Everybody needs to shut up and worry about next year when next year gets here.

Only two things matter ..... who finishes (not who starts) and the fact that the numbers under the Bills totals are higher than those for the other guys.

Why is it okay to speculate who starts, but its not okay to speculate who transfers?

Thoughts?

-Nick

Have you seen him play at the Rec!? He is unstoppable.

KM

DE

BC (not sure CE, RL or CR beats him out the way his play has improved this year)

WR

Given the amount of quality interchangeable parts we'll have (MM, JJ, CE, CR, RL, JB), I doubt i'll be upset with any starting 5 on a given night.

KM

DE

WR

I kind of like moy's but think if JB is as even 70% as good as advertised, he starts over KC. RM's bit**ed about KC being too unselfish and has to kiss his keister to shoot. If JB can play D, he'll likely get the nod. The 3 position will be the hot spot between CE, DE, maybe even JB. DE right now because he's played solid. But if CE finds his shot and plays D and tougher underneath, he'll be difficult to sit. We're gonna see a lot of 20 min players next year, I think.

I, too would temper my expectations of Barnett. I think he will be a great addition to the team and I look forward to seeing him play. However we shouldn't make too much of his college experience so far. He was the best on the worst team(Toledo...4-27 last year) in a weak conference (MAC). And Toledo is about the same this year without him. Playing in the A-10 next year for a good team(hopefully)will be a big step up for him. This year of transition will help. I am just agreeing with the premise of this thread that we need to temper our expectations of Barnett at least initially.

While the conference might have been weak, they did play 7 teams in the top 100 of Kenpom's final rankings (cincy, mich st, cornell, wright st., alabama, kent st. and ohio).

In those 7 games, he averaged 14.5 pts, 36.6% fg, 37.2% 3-pt fg, 90.9% ft, 5 reb, 2.6 ast and 3.3 turnovers. Not bad, but too many turnovers (trying to do too much?). In these 7 games, he attempted 22 ft's (and made 20). That's the same number KC attempted all of last season.

If you take out the statistical outlier v. ohio where he shot 5-20, you get 13.8 pts, 40% fg, 43.8% 3pt fg, 92.9% ft, 4.7 reb, 2.7 ast, and 3.5 turnovers. Again, too many turnovers.

My expectations for Barnett?

I would say one of the following:

-Goes with the team to Australia for summer games.....gets arm bit off by crocodile

-at the beginning of the fall semester is craving some Q-Doba, picks up a burrito and on the way back to his apartment gets hit by a bus.

-A friday night in September, JB is hanging out at Lacledes. While there a girl gets roofied. JB spends the next 10 years of his life, 7 with good behavior, averaging 34 pts 15 assissts and 8 rebounds in the Moberly Correctional facility rec league.

-Falls in love with some religous hippie chick. He gives up basketball to concentrate on playing the bongos and leading peaceful protests. He spends the next 15 years of his life Rallying against gay marragie and fur. In 2027 he turns up dead outside of Waco Texas after drinking poison in a mass suicide. Laying dead next to him are John Travolta, Tom Cruise, Lisa Marie Presley, and Kristie Alley. Most of the world rejoices except Bills fans, who sit wondering what could of been.

-Majerus strips nude one to many times, disgusted JB decides to go to Europe to play pro ball.

-He forgets how to shoot and rides the pine for the next 3 years.

Its hard work being a Bills fan!

I kind of like moy's but think if JB is as even 70% as good as advertised, he starts over KC. RM's bit**ed about KC being too unselfish and has to kiss his keister to shoot. If JB can play D, he'll likely get the nod. The 3 position will be the hot spot between CE, DE, maybe even JB. DE right now because he's played solid. But if CE finds his shot and plays D and tougher underneath, he'll be difficult to sit. We're gonna see a lot of 20 min players next year, I think.

Do you really think CE can play the 3? To me, CE still looks much more like a 4 with outside ability. Personally, I really like DE at the 3 to give us a 3 forward attack as well as JB/KC at the 3 to give us a 3 guard attack. Even if CE becomes more mobile, a better dribbler and more comfortable on the perimeter, I'd keep him at the 4 in that our depth seems to be greater with our guards rather than forwards.

Majerus loves Barnett. I heard him twice in interviews and he gushed more about Barnett than any of the other recruits. Supposedly, Luke Meyer build with comparisons to Kevin L on how he plays.

rewind to last year and rickma gushing over cassity. now rickma starts long incoherent rants with "i have to kiss his (cassity's) a$$ to get him to shoot".

i no longer take much stock in rickma praising quotes.

rewind to last year and rickma gushing over cassity. now rickma starts long incoherent rants with "i have to kiss his (cassity's) a$$ to get him to shoot".

he also said last year that if cassity didn't stop playing nice he would sit the bench.

Fair enough. However, Majerus tends to be more complimentary than not to Cassity (latest rant excluded.)

What I put a lot of stock in is that Barnett has already played a season of D-1 ball and as a freshman excelled in many different areas. I think it is fair to be excited about him due to that alone.

Do you really think CE can play the 3? To me, CE still looks much more like a 4 with outside ability. Personally, I really like DE at the 3 to give us a 3 forward attack as well as JB/KC at the 3 to give us a 3 guard attack. Even if CE becomes more mobile, a better dribbler and more comfortable on the perimeter, I'd keep him at the 4 in that our depth seems to be greater with our guards rather than forwards.

Agree completely. I see no reason to play CE at the 3 going forward.

Agree completely. I see no reason to play CE at the 3 going forward.

yeah, it's not like we've got all kinds of badass bigs that will push him out of minutes at the 4. if we can stick our big guys down low, we need to do it. this team will be stacked w/ guards next year.