Jake Barnett

WVBilliken

I haven't heard a thing about Jake Barnett. Any idea how he is looking in practice? I know practices are closed but someone has to know how he looks. Will he be in the rotation next year? Starter?

Speculation is fine, but can anyone answer the real question above? I have high hopes for Barnett, but that is based almost solely upon what I have read hear and heard from RM. Can anyone who has actually SEEN him comment?

Speculation is fine, but can anyone answer the real question above? I have high hopes for Barnett, but that is based almost solely upon what I have read hear and heard from RM. Can anyone who has actually SEEN him comment?

All I can say is that he is always the last player off the floor in the before game warm up shots. He looks really thin to me, don't really know how strong he is. During the summer Bonner League games, I hear he was relentless on D and drove Tommy L crazy.

Anyone else?

mhg

I haven't heard a thing about Jake Barnett. Any idea how he is looking in practice? I know practices are closed but someone has to know how he looks. Will he be in the rotation next year? Starter?

Be cautious of all the high praise. A number of posters were making similar remarks last year about R. Loe. If evans and some others continue to improve it will be hard to say who will get the second most minutes. He did well at Toledo but he will be surrounded by better talent here next year and it remains to be seen if he will do as well here.

Be cautious of all the high praise. A number of posters were making similar remarks last year about R. Loe. If evans and some others continue to improve it will be hard to say who will get the second most minutes. He did well at Toledo but he will be surrounded by better talent here next year and it remains to be seen if he will do as well here.

I think those posters were going off what RM said. Let's not forget RM said Loe would be a project and need to develop and be a nice contributor at some point. It's not Loe's fault some had higher exzpectations from him immediately and expected him to be a different type of player once WR was off the team.

I believe RM said JB will be an all conference player. JB was the top scorer on a horrible Toledo team. My guess is opposing teams would key on the top scorer and he still foudn ways to score.

Needs to hit the weights.

I think those posters were going off what RM said. Let's not forget RM said Loe would be a project and need to develop and be a nice contributor at some point. It's not Loe's fault some had higher exzpectations from him immediately and expected him to be a different type of player once WR was off the team.

I believe RM said JB will be an all conference player. JB was the top scorer on a horrible Toledo team. My guess is opposing teams would key on the top scorer and he still foudn ways to score.

You make two excellent points. First, everyone forgets that before the season the coach and others said that Rob Loe would take time to learn the game here and hit the weight room. Coach said he would be good but it would take time. Somehow, the a bunch of posters here decided that he was going to be a big contributor this year and put a bunch of expectations on him that I thought were ridiculous. The fact is that he is getting better and he is a fiery competitor but he is a thin 6'11" guy who is learning the game. By the time he is a senior I predict he will be an outstanding player.

As to Barnett, I have seen him play and he is an Indiana style hoop junkie who loves to play, can really shoot the 3 ball and hustles. He will be a definite contributor next year and could lead us in scoring in some games if he gets hot. He plays tough defense and I would think he will challenge for minutes. With KM back and maybe Willie, the three of them could take three of the starting spots next year. Then we will have heavy competition for the other two spots and it will probably depend on matchups.

As to Barnett, I have seen him play and he is an Indiana style hoop junkie who loves to play, can really shoot the 3 ball and hustles. He will be a definite contributor next year and could lead us in scoring in some games if he gets hot. He plays tough defense and I would think he will challenge for minutes. With KM back and maybe Willie, the three of them could take three of the starting spots next year. Then we will have heavy competition for the other two spots and it will probably depend on matchups.

If you watch Barnett on the bench and especially during timeouts, you would think he is one of the player's little brother at his first college game and I mean that as a compliment. He is always the first one to jump up. Always yelling and encouraging his teammates. Always runs out onto the court at timeouts to slap someone on the butt and shout encouragement at them. That kind of energy and enthusiasm alone is going to be great to see on the floor next year.

If you watch Barnett on the bench and especially during timeouts, you would think he is one of the player's little brother at his first college game and I mean that as a compliment. He is always the first one to jump up. Always yelling and encouraging his teammates. Always runs out onto the court at timeouts to slap someone on the butt and shout encouragement at them. That kind of energy and enthusiasm alone is going to be great to see on the floor next year.

Could not agree more. I sit by the Billiken bench and always enjoy when the bench players yell when they see something developing on the floor and JB is very vocal in that regard. One would think he is learning RM's system and will plug in nicely next year.

In response to Billikan's post - it also is puzzling how some hold it against Loe that he is not living up to their set expectations. Loe will be fine and once we have an inside presence I suspect we will see more of Loe's real game and come to appreciate it. RM said Loe will take time and I also believe he said Loe would be the best shooter on the team once he figures things out.

I hate saying this as nobody wants to hear it, but patience will go a long way with Loe.

Could not agree more. I sit by the Billiken bench and always enjoy when the bench players yell when they see something developing on the floor and JB is very vocal in that regard. One would think he is learning RM's system and will plug in nicely next year.

In response to Billikan's post - it also is puzzling how some hold it against Loe that he is not living up to their set expectations. Loe will be fine and once we have an inside presence I suspect we will see more of Loe's real game and come to appreciate it. RM said Loe will take time and I also believe he said Loe would be the best shooter on the team once he figures things out.

I hate saying this as nobody wants to hear it, but patience will go a long way with Loe.

Loe is being asked to fill a role this year that he wasn't expected to fill and he shouldn't have been asked to fill. He hasn't been put in a situation to succeed. He isn't a traditional 4 or 5 and will never be one.

I saw him play in the Bonner league a few times. Lets just say Tommie Liddell didnt like Jake after their game. He completely frustrated Tommie and he wasnt happy. Completely shut him down. Offensively he can really shoot it and has excellent range, at least in the games I saw. In my opinion, he is the perfect player to compliment Kwamain and Willie. Just a really good all around player that can beat you in a number of ways.

I saw him play in the Bonner league a few times. Lets just say Tommie Liddell didnt like Jake after their game. He completely frustrated Tommie and he wasnt happy. Completely shut him down. Offensively he can really shoot it and has excellent range, at least in the games I saw. In my opinion, he is the perfect player to compliment Kwamain and Willie. Just a really good all around player that can beat you in a number of ways.

Poor guy.

Posted Image