View from Afar

Taj79

one more thing. why is Paul Eckerle playing let alone starting against one of the most athetlic, talented teams in the A-10? He seems like a great guy and maybe even a team leader in practice, but he's just not good enough to play for us. Just watch the bench during time outs and big defensive possessions. Jake Barnett is standing up screaming and coaching out players. He seems to be the best leader we have right now and he won't play a second this season. The team loves him and the coaches do too. I feel like PE can have the same affect. I really like Paul and I don't mean to take a shot to him, but he just shouldn't be playing.

I agree with this. It was almost unfair to Paul to have him out there, especially against Staten. McCall was about the only one quick enough to stay with him (and I actually thought CS did well on him too, in limited doses). But having PE in there essentially gave Dayton free points. Ah well ... I think PM was lost on player rotation last night.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one more thing. why is Paul Eckerle playing let alone starting against one of the most athetlic, talented teams in the A-10? He seems like a great guy and maybe even a team leader in practice, but he's just not good enough to play for us. Just watch the bench during time outs and big defensive possessions. Jake Barnett is standing up screaming and coaching out players. He seems to be the best leader we have right now and he won't play a second this season. The team loves him and the coaches do too. I feel like PE can have the same affect. I really like Paul and I don't mean to take a shot to him, but he just shouldn't be playing.

Paul gets the minutes because he is better playing Rickma's systems than other players. that is why Rickma needs to adjust his system to the talent at hand or this year is going to be an even bigger waste than it has already been.

and i say you are dreaming of the rick majerus legend coach from utah. not the rick majerus coach at saint louis university.

There you go again. I am not dreaming, you are holding a grudge. I said over RM's helm at SLU he has been the best at making halftime adjustments. I stick with that. You know I and others can disagree with you. And I know a lot of people agree with me so drop it. I am sure you have support too. Peace.

Dayton didn't beat us last night. We lost to them. This was the second game in a row we played poorly. Had we just played average ...we win. Instead of 1-12 shooting 3's in the 1st half, we are 4-12(average) and make a couple of free throws....we win. We didn't need to bring our A game. Our C game would have been enough.

I don't think the A-10 is particularly strong this year. We can pretty much beat anyone in our league except maybe the top 3 teams...Temple, Richmond & Duq. If we bring our A game we even have a chance at beating Duq. at home.

The point is I don't think we will continue to shoot at an 8% level and therefore we will win our share of games.

And why wouldn't he, Brian? The Athletic Dept. showed ZERO support for Kwamain and Willie. When they decide to turn their collective backs on the success of the program, I'm sure Majerus felt a tad betrayed by Chris May.

If Rickma feels like that and is not putting a 100% into making the roster he has the best team it can be he should quit. He isn't getting paid what he does to put in less than 100%. It doesn't matter how pissed he is at Biondi or others. If he is pissed at May, he needs to look in the mirror. May got hired to make Rickma happy.

Paul gets the minutes because he is better playing Rickma's systems than other players. that is why Rickma needs to adjust his system to the talent at hand or this year is going to be an even bigger waste than it has already been.

brian you are right on the mark. i too have been awaiting the big majerus adjustments to the talent on the floor. both for our team and against our particular opponent each game. where is the big triangle and two surprise defense or the rotating defenses and offenses during the game? all that was the reason rickma was a genius at utah. it got him to a national championship game. yet all we have seen this year is hammering a square peg in a round hole.

we as fans deserve the game adjustments and strategy game to game that most coaches try to devise to bring their teams to a higher level. instead i can close my eyes and pretty much envision what's going on every possession.

There you go again.......

Thanks for that. The Reagan flashback was the most fun I've had as a Billiken fan this year.

Two words. SENIOR GUARDS. We don't have any. Our junior guards are two GREAT GUYS by all opinions. One is a walk on. The other is a Luke Meyer style glue guy but is not equipped at least as a junior to be a prolific scorer and go to guy. Our underclassmen went to SLU not Duke. WHAT THE HELL DO YOU PEOPLE EXPECT?

I hope to God Rick doesn't let the specter of his first losing season drive him from this place.

Oh and kiss my ass Roy. (just kidding....mostly)

Dayton did beat us last night, they were better the whole game. The Wiz is crazy if he thinks there are only 3 teams in the conference we cannot beat. We are going to at the bottom of the A10 and fighting to play in the conference tourney.

If Willie and Kwamain come back no one can red shirt. All the guys starting need reduced minutes because they are not good enough now. If people were redshirted then others like PE and CS would unfortuneately be forced to play. Over a long year you have to be as deep as possible and maybe in 2 years we can have that with our starters now being role players in the future so no one can red shirt.

There are absolutely no bosses on this team, especially not Conklin

Sorry if this post effs up again like the first 2 attempts, last try

I'm not usually one to question Rick because of all the success he's had but there have been some things this year that have made little sense to me. I don't understand our lack of zone defense when it could help us make up for our small size inside. Packing the middle in a zone could help our rebounding but Rick has never been a zone coach. The offense is more perplexing to me. It doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of rhythm to it and whenever a team zones us we just pass the ball around the perimeter until we turn it over or the shot clock gets low. I was at Bowling Green Saturday and whenever we were actually able to get it to the high post Conklin and Evans were able to do some good things. Our offense against man seems too dependent on ball screens for a team that doesn't have a whole lot of guys who can finish at the rim. Nothing seems like it is in unison. Like we'll have one guy setting a screen to free up someone else but our other three guys are standing around allowing the defense to help off easily. The thing I can't figure out is this team's shooting, in particular the Aussies. Ellis, Loe, and Christian were all supposed to be great shooters and other than Cody last year I just don't see it. Maybe the athleticism of defenders here is getting to them but I think a lot of it is probably mental and they've lost some confidence from playing for Majerus because they've never played for a coach that is this hard on them. Hopefully they find their shot and come out of this year mentally stronger.

This is getting a tad ridiculous. We couldn't hit an OPEN shot. This is not the coaches fault. We don't have ANYONE who can score in the post. Do you really think the offense wouldve been more successful throwing it down to conklin, who couldn't even get open btw?

UD tried to give this game away, the bills just wouldn't take it. I actually think they did a decent job getting open looks from 3, with the exception of letting the shot clock run down too many times. This will happen when there is no player who wants to step up and no post presence.

PM did not lose this game. Lack of execution and no floor leadership lost this game.

This is getting a tad ridiculous. We couldn't hit an OPEN shot. This is not the coaches fault. We don't have ANYONE who can score in the post. Do you really think the offense wouldve been more successful throwing it down to conklin, who couldn't even get open btw?

UD tried to give this game away, the bills just wouldn't take it. I actually think they did a decent job getting open looks from 3, with the exception of letting the shot clock run down too many times. This will happen when there is no player who wants to step up and no post presence.

PM did not lose this game. Lack of execution and no floor leadership lost this game.

AMEN!

We are not hitting OPEN shots! I am actually amazed that we only lost by ten last night after that UGLY UGLY mess against Bowling Green. We were IN a game against what certainly is a more talented team. If Conklin could hit a damned free throw (WHAT IN THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE GUYS?) and we didn't piss away so many offensive chances trying to see how many times we could pass the ball, we might have actually won the bleepin' game.

this whole thread is just boggling. i mean, all i have read for four years is that this is the deepest and most talented roster and best recruited the program has seen in billiken history. i just refuse to believe that i reality it is just the same ole same ole where everything comes down to just two players. why wasnt it just a couple of days ago where there were a couple of posters claiming next year with barnett and reed and mitchell coming back we would just be "loaded"? loaded to me would infer entire roster stacked. not just 3 players. no way your take is true taj. we are loaded. and our losing streak is all about rickma being ill.

Didn't you predict that we'd still win 19-20 games even after the KM and WR suspensions and that their loss would probably hurt us by 1-2 games. That was YOUR player evaluation before the season started right? This post makes it sound like it was everyone else's thoughts and not Roys.

Everyone has their own definition of what "loaded" means but adding 2 maybe 3 sure-fire starters that are clearly better than the current players could lead a poor team to be loaded. Are the Miami Heat loaded with the addition of James and Bosh? Is the Phillies pitching staff with Lee, Halladay, Oswalt and Hammells loaded? Of course they are. What if Lee and Halladay weren't on the team? Would that still be a loaded pitching staff? Not by many standards.

Didn't you predict that we'd still win 19-20 games even after the KM and WR suspensions and that their loss would probably hurt us by 1-2 games. That was YOUR player evaluation before the season started right? This post makes it sound like it was everyone else's thoughts and not Roys.

Everyone has their own definition of what "loaded" means but adding 2 maybe 3 sure-fire starters that are clearly better than the current players could lead a poor team to be loaded. Are the Miami Heat loaded with the addition of James and Bosh? Is the Phillies pitching staff with Lee, Halladay, Oswalt and Hammells loaded? Of course they are. What if Lee and Halladay weren't on the team? Would that still be a loaded pitching staff? Not by many standards.

+1. Take the 2 best players off any team at any level and theres a significant difference. How good would the Pistons be without Rip Hamilton and T-Mac????????

The excuses keep piling up. There is no reason that this team should have so little room for error that it completely falls apart because it loses 2 players. I don't care if they are the team's best players. The Bills are now 5-9 and are a lock to fall to 5-11 after the next 2 games. Majerus has run off too many players and has not done a good job of recruiting and developing depth. With a new arena and a group of highly paid assistants it is inexcusable.

I'm surprised that anyone can be disapointed this year. You can't just take players and put them in roles they aren't ready for or aren't physically capable of handling and then demand that they do it.

CR - You can't expect him to be a starting center in the A10. He just isn't ready for that role and wasn't expected to be. He was expected to play 10 mpg add a cople of points and a couple of boards a game.

RL - Did anyone expect him to be more than a zone busting 4 who is weak defensively as an incoming freshman? We expected him to play 20 - 25 mpg get a few boards, struggle to guard the more physical inside 4's and hit open 3's with possibly a few inside putbacks.

CE - The only player I expected more from that hasn't shown it. I expected him to avg in the low double figures and stretch the oposing d with his ability to knock down the 3. However, he had mono all summer and anyone who has had it knows it really drains your strength and takes a good 6 months to regain full strength much less D1 basketball strength. Add to that a burnt hand which additionally hampered his ability to work out. I also think he's hurt by not getting consistent space to shoot as no team has to sag inside to help stop our center now or he doesn't have KM to drive drawing the defense and kick out to him for an open 3. I never thought he was the guy who was going to create his own space off the dribble or have the ability to put the ball on the floor and drive.

KC - I expected KC to be more aware of open shots and take them. Play solid team D and be a glue guy offensively, keeping the team organized and running efficiently. I never expected and don't believe he can or will be a consistent create his own offensive player. He was expected to be a 3rd/4th option who made teams pay for focusing on WR and KM. He is being asked to provide far more than he is physically capable of or should be asked to provide and I'm not surprised he hasn't stepped up to become a go-to type offensive player.

BC - I expected him to provide toughness, a little inside scoring and rebounding and a physical presence that made teams pay for getting too physical with us. Imo he has exceeded my expectations so far, but to expect him to replace WR is simply just ridiculous and will not happen.

CS- I had little expectations. I had hopes he might improve his shot give 15 mpg off the bench and play tough d. He hasn't even provided that imo.

MM/JJ. Be a back-up pg/2, possibly occasional starter when the matchup permits. Learning the offense, having an occassional double digit game and getting better as the year progresssed. Both of these guys have been forced into go-to type roles which they are not ready for in a complex offense. Imo both these guys have exceeded expectations and have at times been very good, but at times they have also been mistake prone and as most freshman are lost defensively. At the higher d1 levels you can't just out athletic everyone defensively as you did in HS. They'll learn, but of course they need time.

DE- I expected him to give a few minutes off the bench and work on his perimiter game preparing for a larger role as a jr and sr. Early on he's given more, but I won't be surprised to see his role diminish as CE gets in better shape.

PE - I had no expectations. It's fair to say he's exceedeed that.

So, imo there is very little for me to be down about. When you are asking players to do things they aren't ready for or capable of, I can't be surprised when they don't do it. A few players have done the opposite though and surprised me by being better and doing more than I would have expected.

RM put a team together, each player had his role and his expectations. In those roles they would be good. Out of them they struggle. Who's surprised?

Guess what folks. Guys get hurt in college basketball. Guys transfer. Guys go pro. Guys get suspended. It is the coaches job to be ready for that and have a roster who can deal with that. Majerus has been here long enough that the Bills should not be this bad.

Guess what folks. Guys get hurt in college basketball. Guys transfer. Guys go pro. Guys get suspended. It is the coaches job to be ready for that and have a roster who can deal with that. Majerus has been here long enough that the Bills should not be this bad.

you're obviously not a slu fan so why are you on our message board?

I'm surprised that anyone can be disapointed this year. You can't just take players and put them in roles they aren't ready for or aren't physically capable of handling and then demand that they do it.

CR - You can't expect him to be a starting center in the A10. He just isn't ready for that role and wasn't expected to be. He was expected to play 10 mpg add a cople of points and a couple of boards a game.

RL - Did anyone expect him to be more than a zone busting 4 who is weak defensively as an incoming freshman? We expected him to play 20 - 25 mpg get a few boards, struggle to guard the more physical inside 4's and hit open 3's with possibly a few inside putbacks.

CE - The only player I expected more from that hasn't shown it. I expected him to avg in the low double figures and stretch the oposing d with his ability to knock down the 3. However, he had mono all summer and anyone who has had it knows it really drains your strength and takes a good 6 months to regain full strength much less D1 basketball strength. Add to that a burnt hand which additionally hampered his ability to work out. I also think he's hurt by not getting consistent space to shoot as no team has to sag inside to help stop our center now or he doesn't have KM to drive drawing the defense and kick out to him for an open 3. I never thought he was the guy who was going to create his own space off the dribble or have the ability to put the ball on the floor and drive.

KC - I expected KC to be more aware of open shots and take them. Play solid team D and be a glue guy offensively, keeping the team organized and running efficiently. I never expected and don't believe he can or will be a consistent create his own offensive player. He was expected to be a 3rd/4th option who made teams pay for focusing on WR and KM. He is being asked to provide far more than he is physically capable of or should be asked to provide and I'm not surprised he hasn't stepped up to become a go-to type offensive player.

BC - I expected him to provide toughness, a little inside scoring and rebounding and a physical presence that made teams pay for getting too physical with us. Imo he has exceeded my expectations so far, but to expect him to replace WR is simply just ridiculous and will not happen.

CS- I had little expectations. I had hopes he might improve his shot give 15 mpg off the bench and play tough d. He hasn't even provided that imo.

MM/JJ. Be a back-up pg/2, possibly occasional starter when the matchup permits. Learning the offense, having an occassional double digit game and getting better as the year progresssed. Both of these guys have been forced into go-to type roles which they are not ready for in a complex offense. Imo both these guys have exceeded expectations and have at times been very good, but at times they have also been mistake prone and as most freshman are lost defensively. At the higher d1 levels you can't just out athletic everyone defensively as you did in HS. They'll learn, but of course they need time.

DE- I expected him to give a few minutes off the bench and work on his perimiter game preparing for a larger role as a jr and sr. Early on he's given more, but I won't be surprised to see his role diminish as CE gets in better shape.

PE - I had no expectations. It's fair to say he's exceedeed that.

So, imo there is very little for me to be down about. When you are asking players to do things they aren't ready for or capable of, I can't be surprised when they don't do it. A few players have done the opposite though and surprised me by being better and doing more than I would have expected.

RM put a team together, each player had his role and his expectations. In those roles they would be good. Out of them they struggle. Who's surprised?

you're spot on. this team is missing their kelly and their amanda. without them, they're just pretty much .

Posted Image

you're spot on. this team is missing their kelly and their amanda. without them, they're just pretty much ######.

Posted Image

I hung out with Jackie Haley in 8th grade in Canoga Park Ca. I went there for the 2nd half of the year and moved to Simi Valley for 9th grade. Being new and from Texas I didn't have too many friends, but Jackie befriended me right wawy and we hung out together that year.

I hung out with Jackie Haley in 8th grade in Canoga Park Ca. I went there for the 2nd half of the year and moved to Simi

Valley for 9th grade. Being new and from Texas I didn't have too many friends, but Jackie befriended me right wawy and we hung out together that year.

You try to hit it?

I hung out with Jackie Haley in 8th grade in Canoga Park Ca. I went there for the 2nd half of the year and moved to Simi Valley for 9th grade. Being new and from Texas I didn't have too many friends, but Jackie befriended me right wawy and we hung out together that year.

Ahh...the glory days of the San Fernando Valley...

Skip, nobody expects this team to be any kind of tournament team. It just shouldn't be in the running for the worst Billiken team in 20 years.

Take the 2 best players off most teams over the 20 years I've been a Billiken fan and they aren't any better than this one. And this one would be better had you removed WR and KM next year when CE, MM, JJ, RL, and DE all had a full year under their belt.

Jackie Haley is the guy, so I didn't try all that hard. I mean I didn't get all that hard ... never mind.

Skip, nobody expects this team to be any kind of tournament team. It just shouldn't be in the running for the worst Billiken team in 20 years.

Exactly right. For that to be happening in Majerus' 4th year is ridiculous regardless of circumstances.