View from Afar

Taj79

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i disagree with the "halftime adjustment" comments on rickma. rickma rarely makes halftime adjustments imo other than ocasionally switching the second half lineup a player or two.

at least three times this year we have started the second half in the "lull" that results in a quick time out. and how many leads have we seen p!ssed away?

the halftime adjustment coach was spoon. spoon rarely lost a halftime lead and he always made the necessary moves.

By a quick look at this year's games, SLU under Majerus, has come out strong early in the second half of a number of games, many that still resulted in losses: Austin Peay (L), Georgia (1st 2 minutes of 2nd half, SLU stretched a 10 point lead to 14; L), Tenn. State (W), IUPUI (SLU stretched 9 point lead to 14, W), even the Duke blowout loss, Mo. State (L), Northeastern (W), Southern Miss (L), Bowling Green (L).

One big problem remains these lulls that can last for 5 minutes and that have plagued the team for decades. But my opinion remains that Majerus is good at halftime adjustments. I have come to expect the early second half runs, but then I expect the lulls too.

Take the 2 best players off most teams over the 20 years I've been a Billiken fan and they aren't any better than this one. And this one would be better had you removed WR and KM next year when CE, MM, JJ, RL, and DE all had a full year under their belt.

Jackie Haley is the guy, so I didn't try all that hard. I mean I didn't get all that hard ... never mind.

Of course Skip, I was talking about the fastball. Come on.

Take the 2 best players off most teams over the 20 years I've been a Billiken fan and they aren't any better than this one. And this one would be better had you removed WR and KM next year when CE, MM, JJ, RL, and DE all had a full year under their belt.

Jackie Haley is the guy, so I didn't try all that hard. I mean I didn't get all that hard ... never mind.

So what you sare saying is Rickma with the benefit of an on campus arena hasn't raised the level of the program any higher than what Grawer had it at.

Guess what folks. Guys get hurt in college basketball. Guys transfer. Guys go pro. Guys get suspended. It is the coaches job to be ready for that and have a roster who can deal with that. Majerus has been here long enough that the Bills should not be this bad.

Based upon the circumstances and what has happened to this year's team, my opinion is that blaming Majerus is barking up the wrong tree.

Who exactly would SLU ever get that is any better? Answer: No one. Majerus is a future Hall of Fame coach.

Skip, your posts crack me up. Glad to be back...

"Bad News Bears," btw, top 10 baseball movie of all time. It might be #10, but it's on the list. Thoughts?

I like Bad News Bears. Knowing Jack Haley makes it probably higher on my list than it should be. The movie came out in 76. I was in 8th grade in 75. I have no recolection of talking about or knowing the movie was being filmed so I'd assume it was filmed the summer of '75 after school was out and I had left. I didn't know he was in it or was going to be in it until I saw the movie. So if he knew he was going to be in it, he didn't brag or talk about it as I'm sure I'd remember. I never talked to him again after we moved.

So what you sare saying is Rickma with the benefit of an on campus arena hasn't raised the level of the program any higher than what Grawer had it at.

Is that what I said, or is that how you want to twist what I said to make a point? You have your opinion, I have mine. I'm going to leave it at that.

I like Bad News Bears. Knowing Jack Haley makes it probably higher on my list than it should be. The movie came out in 76. I was in 8th grade in 75. I have no recolection of talking about or knowing the movie was being filmed so I'd assume it was filmed the summer of '75 after school was out and I had left. I didn't know he was in it or was going to be in it until I saw the movie. So if he knew he was going to be in it, he didn't brag or talk about it as I'm sure I'd remember. I never talked to him again after we moved.

So where is the Nightmare on Elm Street remake w/ Jackie Haley as Freddy on your all-time list? Didn't see it, but I can only assume it's awful.

I don't really have a problem with skip's assessment ---- but I will admit to expecting more. These kids are all supposed Rick Majerus's Diamond in the Rough finds. I guess I've believed the press clippings once again. Too much. That's what frustrates me.

Some comments on the posts inbetween this one and my last one:

Disagree on Metz's assessment that we need JUCOs. Don't believe in them, never will.

Moy mentioned us getting a Gillen-like coach. Doubt it. The gammut has been run -- from up-n-coming assistant, to Hall of Famer out of retirement, to remaining staff member, to local high school Studley Do-Right. All failed. We are a graveyard for coaches as I've used before --- look it up Box -- believe what you want. Moy also said going back to the Sodie offense of running the shot clock down and heaving one. News for you -- Sodie stole that from Rich Grawer only Sodie moved it to the three-point line; Grawer's was just inside it so if it did go in, you only got the duece not the three points for the prayer. And our shooting hasn't improved much over any generation of shooters sans the Clagg glory years. Our shooters seem to regress. How can that be?????

Bay Area talks zone --- anybody remember that Dayton can't shoot????? Never could last year save Chris Johnson. And we don't zone them? Of course, the failure of a zone is boxing out and rebounding and since we are so bad at that in man-to-man, maybe it was a pick-yer-poison decision on our part. But even switching defenses throws a kink into offensive planning. We (my team) used to zone all inbounds plays and switch to man when the ball left the key and below area. How tough is that for our genius to teach???? Mix it up, mold your game plan around your team and opponent, not some abject belief in your "system." We (my team) even played a match-up zone that changed automatically whne the ball went below the foul line extended. And reversed on cue ---- on the same defensive posession --- multiple times. Of course, we were all only in high school almost 40 years ago so training kids today must be impossible. I'm not saying we were great, all I'm saying is that it's doable. You don't think every team down our schedule knows not to fear our inside game right now? Even if Conklin scores 25 ppg from here on out, 25 total points rarely wins on the final scoreboard, eh?

Finally, JeffinMH talks about anger and bombs. I am angry --- I have been duped into a belief that despite the losses, this team had some talent recruited by the genius Majerus and his staff. I'm not saying we would have not missed a beat but we've missed whole sheets of music this season so yes I'm angry. If there is talent, I don't see enough of it --- definitely not enough to prevent me from calling for at least a partial refund of season ticket prices under the claim of false advertising. If I had season tickets. But wait --- I've seen this before. Larry Hughes. Another great recruiting class that imploded when Hughes left after one year. Convinced Spoon to retire, didn't it?

I am angry because it seems to be business as usual at Grand and Lindell. We will never achieve the success I want until everyone --- administration, athletic department, coaching staff, boosters -- is on the same page. I was duped into thinkin gthe buildin gof Chaifetz was the advent of a new, focused and committed U. I am not advocating breaking rules or cheating or doing things the easy way. I'm just tired of this program accepting failure (or at least the lack of progress) as easily as we seem to do. Sue me.

Guess what folks. Guys get hurt in college basketball. Guys transfer. Guys go pro. Guys get suspended. It is the coaches job to be ready for that and have a roster who can deal with that. Majerus has been here long enough that the Bills should not be this bad.

Well it looks like our lady billikens will finish better then the men's team this year.

I don't really have a problem with skip's assessment ---- but I will admit to expecting more. These kids are all supposed Rick Majerus's Diamond in the Rough finds. I guess I've believed the press clippings once again. Too much. That's what frustrates me.

Some comments on the posts inbetween this one and my last one:

Disagree on Metz's assessment that we need JUCOs. Don't believe in them, never will.

Moy mentioned us getting a Gillen-like coach. Doubt it. The gammut has been run -- from up-n-coming assistant, to Hall of Famer out of retirement, to remaining staff member, to local high school Studley Do-Right. All failed. We are a graveyard for coaches as I've used before --- look it up Box -- believe what you want. Moy also said going back to the Sodie offense of running the shot clock down and heaving one. News for you -- Sodie stole that from Rich Grawer only Sodie moved it to the three-point line; Grawer's was just inside it so if it did go in, you only got the duece not the three points for the prayer. And our shooting hasn't improved much over any generation of shooters sans the Clagg glory years. Our shooters seem to regress. How can that be?????

Bay Area talks zone --- anybody remember that Dayton can't shoot????? Never could last year save Chris Johnson. And we don't zone them? Of course, the failure of a zone is boxing out and rebounding and since we are so bad at that in man-to-man, maybe it was a pick-yer-poison decision on our part. But even switching defenses throws a kink into offensive planning. We (my team) used to zone all inbounds plays and switch to man when the ball left the key and below area. How tough is that for our genius to teach???? Mix it up, mold your game plan around your team and opponent, not some abject belief in your "system." We (my team) even played a match-up zone that changed automatically whne the ball went below the foul line extended. And reversed on cue ---- on the same defensive posession --- multiple times. Of course, we were all only in high school almost 40 years ago so training kids today must be impossible. I'm not saying we were great, all I'm saying is that it's doable. You don't think every team down our schedule knows not to fear our inside game right now? Even if Conklin scores 25 ppg from here on out, 25 total points rarely wins on the final scoreboard, eh?

Finally, JeffinMH talks about anger and bombs. I am angry --- I have been duped into a belief that despite the losses, this team had some talent recruited by the genius Majerus and his staff. I'm not saying we would have not missed a beat but we've missed whole sheets of music this season so yes I'm angry. If there is talent, I don't see enough of it --- definitely not enough to prevent me from calling for at least a partial refund of season ticket prices under the claim of false advertising. If I had season tickets. But wait --- I've seen this before. Larry Hughes. Another great recruiting class that imploded when Hughes left after one year. Convinced Spoon to retire, didn't it?

I am angry because it seems to be business as usual at Grand and Lindell. We will never achieve the success I want until everyone --- administration, athletic department, coaching staff, boosters -- is on the same page. I was duped into thinkin gthe buildin gof Chaifetz was the advent of a new, focused and committed U. I am not advocating breaking rules or cheating or doing things the easy way. I'm just tired of this program accepting failure (or at least the lack of progress) as easily as we seem to do. Sue me.

Good post, Taj. I think you're spot on with the last paragraph. If the U was committed to winning, it would have bluffed, fibbed, done anything it could to get KM and WR into a uniform this year. But instead, it got dragged by the ears to Mr. Belding's office. The AD has absolutely no say in what goes on at SLU, and that is a shame.

Is that what I said, or is that how you want to twist what I said to make a point? You have your opinion, I have mine. I'm going to leave it at that.

Well exactly how is the program in better shape than when Grawer was let go? This team is as bad as any since Grawer last season and that team lost its three of its four best players as the season went along.

Let me be clear ---- I am not advocating the U fib, lie, bluff --- the real problem with "the situation" is questionable judgment on multiple parts. But the U could have resolved the issue in the "proper way" long before October 13. The "proper way" is an individual value judgment. I blame the players, the coach, the athletic department, the administration, the student court, and the girl and her players in varying parts.

Wouldn't you want to ask John Smith and Justin Jordan what they think or what their take on the proceedings are right now?

Moy mentioned us getting a Gillen-like coach. Doubt it.

Agreed. I mentioned that if RM leaves with little to no success (e.g. after a losing 2010-2011 season), we will not get a Gillen-level coach.

I do believe we will be an attractive job if RM stays for next year and has a good season with a tourney appearance.

Let me be clear ---- I am not advocating the U fib, lie, bluff --- the real problem with "the situation" is questionable judgment on multiple parts. But the U could have resolved the issue in the "proper way" long before October 13. The "proper way" is an individual value judgment. I blame the players, the coach, the athletic department, the administration, the student court, and the girl and her players in varying parts.

Wouldn't you want to ask John Smith and Justin Jordan what they think or what their take on the proceedings are right now?

I wasn't saying that they do that either, but it's better than the blind eye they turned to two student-athletes who would have brought increasingly more revenue to the SLU coffers.

I can MAYBE see KM getting suspended for the incident, but in no way did Willie deserve to get suspended for the incident. Maybe for other things, but not for this single incident. The most unfair part of all of this was not giving a separate trial. This would be a totally different season if we had Willie. KM would probably be playing Sunday because we would be a pretty solid team that isn't far from being the top team in the A-10. That's the part that upsets me the most.

I'm surprised that anyone can be disapointed this year. You can't just take players and put them in roles they aren't ready for or aren't physically capable of handling and then demand that they do it.

CR - You can't expect him to be a starting center in the A10. He just isn't ready for that role and wasn't expected to be. He was expected to play 10 mpg add a cople of points and a couple of boards a game.

RL - Did anyone expect him to be more than a zone busting 4 who is weak defensively as an incoming freshman? We expected him to play 20 - 25 mpg get a few boards, struggle to guard the more physical inside 4's and hit open 3's with possibly a few inside putbacks.

CE - The only player I expected more from that hasn't shown it. I expected him to avg in the low double figures and stretch the oposing d with his ability to knock down the 3. However, he had mono all summer and anyone who has had it knows it really drains your strength and takes a good 6 months to regain full strength much less D1 basketball strength. Add to that a burnt hand which additionally hampered his ability to work out. I also think he's hurt by not getting consistent space to shoot as no team has to sag inside to help stop our center now or he doesn't have KM to drive drawing the defense and kick out to him for an open 3. I never thought he was the guy who was going to create his own space off the dribble or have the ability to put the ball on the floor and drive.

KC - I expected KC to be more aware of open shots and take them. Play solid team D and be a glue guy offensively, keeping the team organized and running efficiently. I never expected and don't believe he can or will be a consistent create his own offensive player. He was expected to be a 3rd/4th option who made teams pay for focusing on WR and KM. He is being asked to provide far more than he is physically capable of or should be asked to provide and I'm not surprised he hasn't stepped up to become a go-to type offensive player.

BC - I expected him to provide toughness, a little inside scoring and rebounding and a physical presence that made teams pay for getting too physical with us. Imo he has exceeded my expectations so far, but to expect him to replace WR is simply just ridiculous and will not happen.

CS- I had little expectations. I had hopes he might improve his shot give 15 mpg off the bench and play tough d. He hasn't even provided that imo.

MM/JJ. Be a back-up pg/2, possibly occasional starter when the matchup permits. Learning the offense, having an occassional double digit game and getting better as the year progresssed. Both of these guys have been forced into go-to type roles which they are not ready for in a complex offense. Imo both these guys have exceeded expectations and have at times been very good, but at times they have also been mistake prone and as most freshman are lost defensively. At the higher d1 levels you can't just out athletic everyone defensively as you did in HS. They'll learn, but of course they need time.

DE- I expected him to give a few minutes off the bench and work on his perimiter game preparing for a larger role as a jr and sr. Early on he's given more, but I won't be surprised to see his role diminish as CE gets in better shape.

PE - I had no expectations. It's fair to say he's exceedeed that.

So, imo there is very little for me to be down about. When you are asking players to do things they aren't ready for or capable of, I can't be surprised when they don't do it. A few players have done the opposite though and surprised me by being better and doing more than I would have expected.

RM put a team together, each player had his role and his expectations. In those roles they would be good. Out of them they struggle. Who's surprised?

+1

Exactly - what would Soderberg's last team have looked like without Lisch and Liddell?

Exactly - what would Soderberg's last team have looked like without Lisch and Liddell?

Last night when I couldn't watch the game and was just imagining Chris Wright and Chris Johnson dunking all over us... I thought to myself "Man, I wonder what it's like to have seniors on your team..."

Just given the nature of how RM's tried to do things here (bringing in huge classes, weeding out the tards, not going JUCO) coupled with bad luck due to career-ending injuries in JR and FJ and just some good ol' fashioned Chinese finger cuff action, NO ONE should be surprised that we're up creek right now. Luckily, creek runs over a cliff into a wonderful pool of blue kool-aid next year when we have horses again. IF we have all the players we think we're going to have, I guaran-godtamn-tee an NCAA appearance next year. And the year after.

The Missing Two were the two best players. KM was the QB, the point guard, the primary ball handler and shot taker at crunch time; WR was SLU's last line of defense, as my roommate at SLU called him, SLU's "Goalie." I was at the GW game in STL their freshman year. WR blocked a shot at one end, ran the floor, and dunked at the other end. It brought me out of my seat. I thought that SLU has needed Willie my whole life.

The rest of the players are either complimentary types, role players, or young freshmen.

As someone said, the heart (KM) and soul (WR) have been taken away from the team.

We need them back, immediately if not sooner, and keep the redshirts in the closet.

This to me is a lame excuse. I remember in 2008 when UD lost Charles Little, Chris Wright to injury and Brian Roberts for 5 games and that team ended up going to the NIT Quarterfinals.

If a roster is truly stacked the replacements from the bench can stabilize it and at least turn in a respectable season. Our team lost two players, had all off-season to practice and come to play with a supposedly "deep roster" and what do we do? Crap on ourselves. The fact that this team may not even return to the CBI is a slap in the face to our supposed over-hyped depth. This team will be lucky to get 14-16 wins this season (including Rockhurst!).

What happens next year if Kwamain rolls his ankle and misses 3 games ... do we crumble?

Posters that are already stating next year's team will be loaded are insane. They are saying this now?? There are so many intangibles that go into a season. There will ALWAYS be an injury. Always! Stacked rosters can keep it going when they are out.

Let's just play out this string next year. And see where we stand around thanksgiving of next year before declaring anything.