Majerus on 101espn

StlBills

Because Triangle does not listen too sports talk radio, Too can only refer too the above quotes in this thread. In the question that Cody Ellis was not on the same page as Coach Majerus would have been a legitmate question, but too make it a "2 way question" including in the question that Coach Majerus is not on the same page as Cody Ellis is ludicrous. Cody Ellis's "page" is pretty much blank, Coach Majerus's "book" has a long history and is far from being finished. Too knows (as we all do) that Coach Majerus is an extremely intelligent, focussed and complicated coach, and by this time, interviewers should know this point. For Ramsey too include in the question that Coach Majerus was not on the same "page" as Cody Ellis was ridiculous. Coach Majerus picks up on things like this and Triangle really thinks that he came too the conclusion that "that's a pretty stupid question", and then downhill. Remember that Coach Majerus benched Willie Reed Jr. for a game because of a "hearing problem" last season.

so it goes.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Money? It is the cheapest away game on either teams schedule

Agreed. That was a weird comment. The only way one could argue its about money is that MSU decided they need more home "buy" games for financial reasons and wanted to drop one of their home and homes.

Agreed. That was a weird comment. The only way one could argue its about money is that MSU decided they need more home "buy" games for financial reasons and wanted to drop one of their home and homes.

Just as were ready to welcome Cuonzo Martin home; he reminds those of us born and raised in E. St. Louis "it is a good place to be from just no longer a good place to live"

I thought about that angle but our hoops programs make money and I don't think we would do a "buy" game. We have done 2-1 or 1-1 with Arkansas, OK State and Auburn the last few years. There is talk about getting a 2-1 with a Big Ten team set up for next year...Purdue, Iowa and Minnesota have been mentioned. We had a 1-1 all but set up with Seaton Hall but it fell through at the last minute.

As I said I really hope it is just a 1 year deal because I enjoy playing you guys and we should play each other every year.

It's hard to believe RM could be so naive as to how the media and fans for that matter act. The media and fans expect certain levels of information. How can he be taken back when Rammer asks a question about CE? He just sat CE an entire game and of course people want to know more. Okay, so it's his defense. But, is that all we get? We're fans, we're curious - we want to know more. I understand certain things are private, but RM picks and chooses what he thinks should be private. He says things at Billiken Club meetings that people can't believe he would say and then gets slightly offended when a very normal questions or two are asked. He is certainly a piece of work.

Very good post.

I am not sure that he has anything personally against Rammer.

Here is an incident from a few years ago that sticks with me. Rick refused to do interviews after the game and sent somebody else several games in a row, I think Porter. Then RM agrees to do an interview after the game but not at courtside with Rammer, it was done in the locker room with Earl only. No Rammer. Odd.

Here is an incident from a few years ago that sticks with me. Rick refused to do interviews after the game and sent somebody else several games in a row, I think Porter. Then RM agrees to do an interview after the game but not at courtside with Rammer, it was done in the locker room with Earl only. No Rammer. Odd.

Have you ever seen RM walk? There is no way, once he is in the locker room, that he is going to trudge back out to the radio desk to talk to any announcer. With Rammer being the lead announcer, there is only one way to get an interview from RM and that is to send someone (Earl) into the locker room so RM doesn't strain himself. However, the times I've heard the post game shows this year, that approach has rarely worked as well. Quite a few times this year, Earl had been in the locker room, or near it, waiting for RM, and there is no interview. I think the reason is that RM has so much "teaching" to do that he doesn't give a damn about a silly interview for the fans, regardless of the interviewer.

I don't think it is odd at all that Rammer doesn't interview RM after the games because RM simply finds it too difficult to go all the way back to the radio table. The best post game interviews are still from Porter when he is allowed to be available by RM.

Have you ever seen RM walk? There is no way, once he is in the locker room, that he is going to trudge back out to the radio desk to talk to any announcer. With Rammer being the lead announcer, there is only one way to get an interview from RM and that is to send someone (Earl) into the locker room so RM doesn't strain himself. However, the times I've heard the post game shows this year, that approach has rarely worked as well. Quite a few times this year, Earl had been in the locker room, or near it, waiting for RM, and there is no interview. I think the reason is that RM has so much "teaching" to do that he doesn't give a damn about a silly interview for the fans, regardless of the interviewer.

I don't think it is odd at all that Rammer doesn't interview RM after the games because RM simply finds it too difficult to go all the way back to the radio table. The best post game interviews are still from Porter when he is allowed to be available by RM.

I dont think it has anything to do with RM having that much more to teach than other coaches. All coaches want more time to teach their team. It just comes down to RM not caring about his image and/or not worrying about promoting the team.

]I dont think it has anything to do with RM having that much more to teach than other coaches. All coaches want more time to teach their team. It just comes down to RM not caring about his image and/or not worrying about promoting the team.

That's why "teaching" was put in quotes!! I agree 100%

I think we can all agree that Rick is a dinosaur ---- what he does is what all the old school coaches have done in the past --- do things "their" way, take care of "their" programs, only do what is required of them and understand that they set the requirements. Interviews are done by shills for the program. Even like NBC doing Notre Dame football --- NBC is unlikely to ask the hard question or play rogue journalist. Booby Knight;'s treatment of the media and so on.

But that is yesterday's media. As is there a huge difference with today's player. Kids want to be wooed, catered to. Rumor has it that Joe Paterno doesn't even bother to recruit anymore. Which is hurting Penn State in the long run. I see Rick along similar lines ---- which is rare in today's world and can be counterproductive.

Rammer might love SLU the program, not SLU Rick Majerus. That happens as well.

RM's starting to remind me of Woody Hayes and Booby Knight as they got older in their careers. Both Woody and Knight developed a strong dislike of the press and it showed in their interviews. Hell, I remember Woody walking off his midnight after game show after a tough loss to Michigan State in 1976 or 75. This show was broadcast all over the state, and the interviewer's first comment to Woody was, "I know it's tough for you to be here tonight, but...." Woody: "You're right. It is. I'm leaving" . He got up and left with 29 minutes of airtime still to go. Knight pretty much the same thing in presser's after tourney games, etc. I think these guys feel they've accomplished a lot in their careers and don't need to answer to anyone. In Woody and Knight's case they became bigger than their programs and schools. They became Icons statewide and to some extent on a national level. I don't think RM is there or ever will be. Maybe if he stayed at Utah and continued that run, he'd be a big deal in Mormon country. Quite honestly I'm amazed he made it there that long given his quirkiness and off the wall antics. RM's got an ego as big as his gut. That said, he should know better than anyone where this program is going into his 5th season, and, quite honestly, it ain't where he'd like it or thought it would be. From a fan's perspective, I've moved from very positive on the RM hiring to luke warm. And some of this has to do with his less than positive approach with the media. He's the face of SLU's program, but he shows his a** more often than not and it ain't a pretty picture.

Coach Majerus insinuated that Missouri State didn't want to lose. Looking ahead to the schools' respective rosters over the next couple of years, MSU figured there was a good chance they'd drop a couple of games to the Billikens if they renewed the series.

Insinuated - he very flatly said they were afraid to play us in the future.

RM's starting to remind me of Woody Hayes and Booby Knight as they got older in their careers. Both Woody and Knight developed a strong dislike of the press and it showed in their interviews. Hell, I remember Woody walking off his midnight after game show after a tough loss to Michigan State in 1976 or 75. This show was broadcast all over the state, and the interviewer's first comment to Woody was, "I know it's tough for you to be here tonight, but...." Woody: "You're right. It is. I'm leaving" . He got up and left with 29 minutes of airtime still to go. Knight pretty much the same thing in presser's after tourney games, etc. I think these guys feel they've accomplished a lot in their careers and don't need to answer to anyone. In Woody and Knight's case they became bigger than their programs and schools. They became Icons statewide and to some extent on a national level. I don't think RM is there or ever will be. Maybe if he stayed at Utah and continued that run, he'd be a big deal in Mormon country. Quite honestly I'm amazed he made it there that long given his quirkiness and off the wall antics. RM's got an ego as big as his gut. That said, he should know better than anyone where this program is going into his 5th season, and, quite honestly, it ain't where he'd like it or thought it would be. From a fan's perspective, I've moved from very positive on the RM hiring to luke warm. And some of this has to do with his less than positive approach with the media. He's the face of SLU's program, but he shows his a** more often than not and it ain't a pretty picture.

It has only been 4 years.

Or they wanted to be a buy game.

I find it humorous that now that we're 3-3 (heading to 3-4) it's time to start talking about how Rick is not doing a great job. Yes, he's quirky. He's gruff with the local media. He doesn't care about his image. Guess what? The Utah fans and media could have told you those same things in 1992, 1995, 1998, etc. He hasn't changed a bit. You know what has changed? His best two players were suspended for this semester. If you took Andre Miller and Michael Doleac off of the 1998 Utah team (which finished second in the country), they would have struggled, too. Then Alex Jensen is suddenly the leading scorer (ala Kyle Cassity this year) and everyone else has to assume different roles. Yes, a team like Duke this year can survive losing two players. But a mid-major trying to climb up the ladder? Forget it.

If Willie and Kwamain hadn't gotten suspended, we'd be 7-0 and excited as hell about playing Duke tomorrow. But they did get suspended, so it's time to start blaming Rick? Ridiculous. This shows how unfun it would be to be a big time coach or player. Something goes wrong (even if it's out of your control) and people start to pile on. How about supporting the program and the coach? We're in much better shape than five years ago. Appreciate what you've got while it's here. I guess Rick could be fired and you could have Soderberg back. How's that sound?

It has only been 4 years.

Sorry, Cheese. But here in Charleston they've got Cremmins as HC at CofC. He's not had great success here, like he did at GT, but the guys affable, available, and well liked by the fans and media. Similar situation to RM, who too many times comes off as aloof, isolated, and unapproachable. The guy makes a ton of $$ and should realize it's for more than just recruiting and drawing X and O's on a chalk board. Still, I think he's what we need to become a relevant viable program. Just wish he'd go about it with a little more enthusiasm when he's in the public eye. Remember, his real objective is to put a**es in Chaifetz's seats. Sometimes I get the feeling he's not as committed as he should be. But admittedly you locals know a lot more than I do.

If Willie and Kwamain hadn't gotten suspended, we'd be 7-0 and excited as hell about playing Duke tomorrow. But they did get suspended, so it's time to start blaming Rick? Ridiculous. This shows how unfun it would be to be a big time coach or player. Something goes wrong (even if it's out of your control) and people start to pile on. How about supporting the program and the coach? We're in much better shape than five years ago. Appreciate what you've got while it's here. I guess Rick could be fired and you could have Soderberg back. How's that sound?

No one's ever accused RM of being responsible for KM and WR. Most felt he got kicked in the groin by that Kangaroo court. Still doesn't excuse some of his behavior when it comes to dealing with the media and the fan base. What happened to his fan appreciation day? And remember the Spoon days. Charlie may have been a di*& out of the public eye, but when he was in it he was good ol' boy Charlie. That created a lot of good will for SLU and filled Savvis.

No one's ever accused RM of being responsible for KM and WR. Most felt he got kicked in the groin by that Kangaroo court. Still doesn't excuse some of his behavior when it comes to dealing with the media and the fan base. What happened to his fan appreciation day? And remember the Spoon days. Charlie may have been a di*& out of the public eye, but when he was in it he was good ol' boy Charlie. That created a lot of good will for SLU and filled Savvis.

One of my points was that he's not changed in the last 20 years. He was exactly the same when he was hired. It's just that his team isn't winning right now so it's convenient to pile on. I'm saying if he was 7-0 no one would mention that he didn't do the interview after the game, but since they are .500 then it's a big deal.

-that wsa a strange interview

It was strange, but it wasn't as horrible as people are making it out to be.

He was fairly pleasant up until the Ellis question which he handled poorly.

The follow-up Reed and Mitchell question the response seemed more directed to SLU than to Rammer and RK. He is putting pressure on the committee/SLU to let these kids back in if they fulfill all their requirements. I don't believe for a second he doesn't know whats going on, rather he wants to present an appearance that he isn't affecting the outcome.

One thing is certain, Rammer is a class act all the way.

The follow-up Reed and Mitchell question the response seemed more directed to SLU than to Rammer and RK. He is putting pressure on the committee/SLU to let these kids back in if they fulfill all their requirements. I don't believe for a second he doesn't know whats going on, rather he wants to present an appearance that he isn't affecting the outcome.

Dr. Chaifetz was spotted at the Chase last night, maybe he is here to influence a bit more...

I find it humorous that now that we're 3-3 (heading to 3-4) it's time to start talking about how Rick is not doing a great job. Yes, he's quirky. He's gruff with the local media. He doesn't care about his image. Guess what? The Utah fans and media could have told you those same things in 1992, 1995, 1998, etc. He hasn't changed a bit. You know what has changed? His best two players were suspended for this semester. If you took Andre Miller and Michael Doleac off of the 1998 Utah team (which finished second in the country), they would have struggled, too. Then Alex Jensen is suddenly the leading scorer (ala Kyle Cassity this year) and everyone else has to assume different roles. Yes, a team like Duke this year can survive losing two players. But a mid-major trying to climb up the ladder? Forget it.

+1