Guy Phillips screw up count

crymdg2

As long as people can discuss it in a constructive manner, and as long as the quality of Guy Phillips work is extremely poor, people will will say so. This topic is one of the least controversial and most agreed upon things on this board.

Guy would be doing a service to SLU fans everywhere by stepping down as SLU's p.a. Announcer. And SLU fans everywhere would be doing their school a service by continuing to let the athletic department and administration know that his work effort, not just poor work, is not acceptable at SLU.

Sports fans in St. Louis are well known for rooting for people who try hard regardless of ability. Guy lacks this support because his effort isn't there, not just the mistakes. And, this has been unacceptable for a very long time.

It makes SLU look bush league.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as people can discuss it in a constructive manner, and as long as the quality of Guy Phillips work is extremely poor, people will will say so. This topic is one of the least controversial and most agreed upon things on this board.

Guy would be doing a service to SLU fans everywhere by stepping down as SLU's p.a. Announcer. And SLU fans everywhere would be doing their school a service by continuing to let the athletic department and administration know that his work effort, not just poor work, is not acceptable at SLU.

Sports fans in St. Louis are well known for rooting for people who try hard regardless of ability. Guy lacks this support because his effort isn't there, not just the mistakes. And, this has been unacceptable for a very long time.

It makes SLU look bush league.

great post courtside

I understand that it annoys some people, but my point is that complaining about it on this forum is useless; kind of like complaining about the A10, Josh Harrellson, etc. If people want to waste time (I guess most of this is a waste of time anyway) on this it is certainly their right, just seems silly to me. Whatever.

I would suggest that you don't bother to waste your time by reading these kinds of posts which will appear following every home game. I am not trying to be cute just saying people have the right to post on the topic but if it upsets you then don't read them. There are types of posts that I don't like much and I just simply pass on them.

great post courtside

Yeah, awesome post.

There is a very, very small number of people keeping him as our public address announcer. That's frustrating to the vast majority of SLU fans, who are tired of his ineptitude but lack the resources to convince the athletic department to do anything about it.

Will our griping on this forum do anything about it? Probably not, but I'm not convinced the AD is oblivious to the general feelings of the fan base about this and other subjects, and this board plays some role in that.

It comes down to my never-ending complaint about this athletic program's unwillingness to commit to anything fully. We build an $80 million arena and pay a big-name coach, only to charge him for cell phone bills, limit recruiting trips, keep an embarrassingly bad PA guy for home games, etc, etc, etc. Half-assing things drives fans, coaches, and recruits away.

Yeah, awesome post.

There is a very, very small number of people keeping him as our public address announcer. That's frustrating to the vast majority of SLU fans, who are tired of his ineptitude but lack the resources to convince the athletic department to do anything about it.

Will our griping on this forum do anything about it? Probably not, but I'm not convinced the AD is oblivious to the general feelings of the fan base about this and other subjects, and this board plays some role in that.

It comes down to my never-ending complaint about this athletic program's unwillingness to commit to anything fully. We build an $80 million arena and pay a big-name coach, only to charge him for cell phone bills, limit recruiting trips, keep an embarrassingly bad PA guy for home games, etc, etc, etc. Half-assing things drives fans, coaches, and recruits away.

pistol, are you sure about the coaches cell phone bills? i would be surprised if they are not allowed to include their cell phone bills for reimbursement.

if you meant they have to have their own cell phones and buy their own cell phone plans imo that is actually an advantage to the coaches. i know my cell phone has more information stored on it than most can imagine. my calendar, my contacts names, phone numbers, email addys, etc. if my employer furnished that phone and plan, if we ever parted ways, i would be obligated to give back that phone.

i can imagine that the coaches have all their recruiting information and contacts and calendars on their phones as well. no way as a coach i want to let the school "own" that.

pistol

This is perfect and I couldn't agree more.

I can kind of see why he is the PA guy--he has a somewhat well known name in ST. Louis and he rarely makes mistakes when he reads the ads--which apparently the only thing he prepares for, but man he did make a ton of errors the other night. As has already been said numerous times--this isn't the first time he did a poor job.

pistol, are you sure about the coaches cell phone bills? i would be surprised if they are not allowed to include their cell phone bills for reimbursement.

if you meant they have to have their own cell phones and buy their own cell phone plans imo that is actually an advantage to the coaches. i know my cell phone has more information stored on it than most can imagine. my calendar, my contacts names, phone numbers, email addys, etc. if my employer furnished that phone and plan, if we ever parted ways, i would be obligated to give back that phone.

i can imagine that the coaches have all their recruiting information and contacts and calendars on their phones as well. no way as a coach i want to let the school "own" that.

I'm not 100% sure about it anymore, but I remember us discussing this a couple seasons ago when Majerus made some comment about it. Even if it isn't the case anymore, it still stands as an example of how certain aspects of the program are nickel-and-dimed in some ways that make the athletic department seem like it never wants to be big time.

I'm sure we could all think of a bunch of other examples, but this one popped into my head first, and I honestly am not sure what the arrangement currently is.

i do agree that if they do not reimburse at all for phone expense, that is deplorable.

it is impossible at a D1 school to compete if the coaches are not encouraged to use the phone to reach out at every waking moment. our society has become a cell necessity. to survive in the business world (and college basketball is a business) you cannot pretend this is 1975 and not be on the internet, using a cell phone, etc.

We know for a fact that someone in the athletic department reads this board. We also know that suggestions that have been posted out here have, from time to time, worked their way into reality.

In any event, if not out here, where? Would individual phone calls to Chris May have any more sway that three or five or ten or several dozen of us consistently griping out here?

We know for a fact that someone in the athletic department reads this board. We also know that suggestions that have been posted out here have, from time to time, worked their way into reality.

In any event, if not out here, where? Would individual phone calls to Chris May have any more sway that three or five or ten or several dozen of us consistently griping out here?

Put in the "Point SLU" guy. He is awesome.

Alumnifan is right.

Guy, like the last remaining bigots, racists, gay-haters, etc, will have to just get old and die before we can be rid of him..........

Unfortunately, guy is part of the game day experience. And a really bad part of the experience. I think many of us on here won't simply accept the idea that we have to be stuck with him. I think you can fight city hall on this one. I could name a dozen local broadcasters who would be a million time better than guy.

what we should do is start a "guy flub list"

when someone hears a mistake, add it to the list at the bottom.

so for example,

1. cardinal stritch game - began pre-game introductions with wrong team.

2. cardinal stritch game - called dwayne evans dwight evans.

next guy copies list and adds #3 and so forth. by year end the evidence would be overwhelming.

Perhaps if enough people show up SATURDAY for FRIDAY night's game, whoever is allegedly his boss will finally boot Guy out the door. And he's now 2 for 2 in players with the same number on the opposing roster as Billiken players.

But hey, some people like him. Pay no attention to the level of professionalism he portrays for your athletic program and your university.

Perhaps if enough people show up SATURDAY for FRIDAY night's game, whoever is allegedly his boss will finally boot Guy out the door. And he's now 2 for 2 in players with the same number on the opposing roster as Billiken players.

But hey, some people like him. Pay no attention to the level of professionalism he portrays for your athletic program and your university.

joe please use the cumlative list method so we have an accurate count for the year. i.e.

3. soutwestern nova game - announced the next game as being on Saturday when it is actually on Friday

joe please use the cumlative list method so we have an accurate count for the year. i.e.

3. soutwestern nova game - announced the next game as being on Saturday when it is actually on Friday

4. Nova SE - Referred to Dwayne Evans as Dwight Evans 4 times in first half

5. Nova SE - Referred to Brian Conklin as Alex Conklin