What happened

bauman

Steve/Moderators. Is there a reason this Board is not discussing, or is afraid to discuss, the name and incidents around why the lone player is not working out/practicing with the team? If not related to the original "incident", then why the secrecy?

I get it about the need not to disclose alleged criminal conduct and/or truly private information which is the source of the Student Court/Appeal. I also applaud this Board for using discretion these past months. Unless I am missing something, though, this latest info is fair game - violations of team rules - just like being late for a practice/game, insubordination of coaches, bad grades/test scores...

Thanks.

I think, for the sake of the program, that we ought to wait until there's something official before we begin to discuss that rumor as fact. Three days (or two) are all that remain before Tom Timmermann and other media outlets begin publishing info that SLU's athletic department wants us to chew on.

On that note, don't we usually hear about public speaking engagements by Coach Majerus during the run up to October 15? It's been very quiet this year.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve/Moderators. Is there a reason this Board is not discussing, or is afraid to discuss, the name and incidents around why the lone player is not working out/practicing with the team? If not related to the original "incident", then why the secrecy?

I get it about the need not to disclose alleged criminal conduct and/or truly private information which is the source of the Student Court/Appeal. I also applaud this Board for using discretion these past months. Unless I am missing something, though, this latest info is fair game - violations of team rules - just like being late for a practice/game, insubordination of coaches, bad grades/test scores...

Thanks.

I would prefer names not be used until something more is known. There has been a ton of speculation, but I do not want Player X's name to be plastered everywhere. I know message boards are a feeding ground for speculation, but I appreciate that there at least has been attempt not to name names.

In disclosure, I have deleted names at times from posts when used. But I am always put a (Steve Edit) within the same post

Berny if there has been a player that hasnt participated with ANYTHING like you say.... how come I have seen all of said players scrimmaging?

Dude I dont know what to tell you. All I can say is what Ive gotten from the players themselves. They have told me that one player hasnt been lifting weights or anything to get ready for the season. Believe me or not its true. I also (and this is speculation) think his non-participation has nothing to do with alleged assault.

I think, for the sake of the program, that we ought to wait until there's something official before we begin to discuss that rumor as fact. Three days (or two) are all that remain before Tom Timmermann and other media outlets begin publishing info that SLU's athletic department wants us to chew on.

On that note, don't we usually hear about public speaking engagements by Coach Majerus during the run up to October 15? It's been very quiet this year.

Good question. Does coach have any preseason speaking appearances lined up? It would be nice to hear his thoughts about the newcomers.

Good question. Does coach have any preseason speaking appearances lined up? It would be nice to hear his thoughts about the newcomers.

Here is what I find somewhat telling that something's rotten in the state of Denmark. We're 2 days away from the start of hoops season and not one article from TT about all the preseason praise being heaped on the Bill or this supposed issue of suspension. It leads me to believe that the AD has asked TT to stay mum until whatever's being negotiated or worked out gets resolved. I did check StLtoday to find 2 articles about Mizzery hoops but nothing about the Bills. Anyone else find it a little odd that TT wouldn't be chomping at the bit to do a story about the expectations surrounding SLU? It's like there's been an iron curtain placed over the hoops program. No RM interviews, no Chris May interviews, no writeups that anyone's posted on here from local news sources. Very strange indeed.

Excuse me, did you not tell Bonwich his #1 was incorrect? I thought you were pretty clear that the dropping of charges (or a NG finding) equated to a finding of innocence?

Where was Double Jeopardy discussed or even mentioned, that you claim I missed? I'm still missing it.

By the way your understanding "that because you are acquited, you cannot be recharged with the same crime" is also incorrect in the context of your argument. You can be retried for the same crime or set of facts without it being a violation of the double jeop. rule. You just can't be tried by the same govt. entity. In other words the state of Missouri (or an employer or a school) can "try" you for the same crime or set of facts that resulted in a not guilty finding in a Fed. Ct. Dbl Jeop just prevents the Feds from retrying you or if acquited in a state ct, then the Feds can still try you.

What I believe I said was that short of a trial the best you might get to prove your non involvement was not being charged. If this is so then you have to take it for what it is worth - for now you are in the clear. Yes, you are right I did not bring up double jeopardy but I did when you brought up all the other fine points which as I said really were unrelated to the point - I only was trying to point out that I have some understanding of the process. Finally, yes I know that another govt entity can try you even if you were acquitted by another but once again, this had no bearing on this specific case since there does not seem to be any federal involvement at least to date. Without continuing this pissing war all I was trying to point out was that if the DA chooses not to charge you then that may be all the affirmation of your non involvement you may ever get.

Here is what I find somewhat telling that something's rotten in the state of Denmark. We're 2 days away from the start of hoops season and not one article from TT about all the preseason praise being heaped on the Bill or this supposed issue of suspension. It leads me to believe that the AD has asked TT to stay mum until whatever's being negotiated or worked out gets resolved. I did check StLtoday to find 2 articles about Mizzery hoops but nothing about the Bills. Anyone else find it a little odd that TT wouldn't be chomping at the bit to do a story about the expectations surrounding SLU? It's like there's been an iron curtain placed over the hoops program. No RM interviews, no Chris May interviews, no writeups that anyone's posted on here from local news sources. Very strange indeed.

No, not really. I just assumed when I saw the Post today that it was their SOP to do MU and IL first and us second along with SIU or SMS or both. Nothing new here by their behavior - they usually ignore us first and TT has hardly been a stalwart of pushing SLU - yes I know he has other beats to cover but he has never been a Bills first guy - at least in my opinion.

Good point.

No, not really. I just assumed when I saw the Post today that it was their SOP to do MU and IL first and us second along with SIU or SMS or both. Nothing new here by their behavior - they usually ignore us first and TT has hardly been a stalwart of pushing SLU - yes I know he has other beats to cover but he has never been a Bills first guy - at least in my opinion.

Didn't know about their SOP. Still Cusamano's a big SLU fan and you'd think he'd have a program with RM at the least. Sorry, cheese, call it the mini conspiricay theorist in me, but this news blackout just doesn't make sense 2 days before official practice begins for what is supposed to be our best team since 1997. There's got to be some backroom negotiations taking place. If this whole things got the campus abuzz and here on this board, you'd have thought they'd have put it to rest by now.

Didn't know about their SOP. Still Cusamano's a big SLU fan and you'd think he'd have a program with RM at the least. Sorry, cheese, call it the mini conspiricay theorist in me, but this news blackout just doesn't make sense 2 days before official practice begins for what is supposed to be our best team since 1997. There's got to be some backroom negotiations taking place. If this whole things got the campus abuzz and here on this board, you'd have thought they'd have put it to rest by now.

I wouldnt get your hopes up, well at least im not

One thing you can be sure about is that no one know anything for sure.

It leads me to believe that the AD has asked TT to stay mum until whatever's being negotiated or worked out gets resolved.

Yeah. And Tom and the sports staff decide what to cover based on what the athletic department tells them. :rolleyes:

I did check StLtoday to find 2 articles about Mizzery hoops but nothing about the Bills. Anyone else find it a little odd that TT wouldn't be chomping at the bit to do a story about the expectations surrounding SLU? It's like there's been an iron curtain placed over the hoops program. No RM interviews, no Chris May interviews, no writeups that anyone's posted on here from local news sources. Very strange indeed.

I guess the fact that Mizzou football is undefeated and ranked might have just a bit of bearing on what the (very limited in number) sports staff is assigned to cover on any given day. Tom's been doing occasional color pieces on Tiger football throughout the season; he also just did a series of stories on the collegiate hockey tourney at Kielvis Trade and he's been covering SLU soccer. You basically go where you're told in this business (not to mention there are only so many stories you can do in a day or week).

I have no inside information on this one, but I'd guess that no one has touched the SLU story because there are no hard facts (or even soft facts verified by more than one source) on which an ethical reporter could hang his or her hat.

I have no inside information on this one, but I'd guess that no one has touched the SLU story because there are no hard facts (or even soft facts verified by more than one source) on which an ethical reporter could hang his or her hat.

You'd think one of the less ethical reporters (not a shot at the Post) from one of our local pot-stirring rags or local tv outlets or some sports radio meathead would come up with something more, based on unverified "soft facts."

By the way MU getting more coverage than SLU is probably football related BUT Isn't MU basketball supposed to be pretty good this year too? In any case, a feel good story about the MU program is a lot easier to write than one that reads, The Bills will be great this year, IF there are no "roster disruptions."

Guest BillikenReport

I think this story has been handled well by most of the local media, who may have learned from the Duke lacrosse debacle about convicting people in the court of public opinion.

The KSDK Channel 5 "story" was a joke considering they didn't name names but used blurred-out basketball highlights where it was apparent who they were focused on.

This will all come out very soon and before long Rick Majerus will be forced to talk about it — either the player or players no longer on the roster or the whole team being on there.

But I don't expect the school to announce anything because there are restrictions about what school officials can say about students. There was no press release about Femi John's medical issue, but he's no longer on the basketball team's roster. There are things the school is restricted from saying, but at some point Majerus will have to talk about it.

I think this story has been handled well by most of the local media, who may have learned from the Duke lacrosse debacle about convicting people in the court of public opinion.

The KSDK Channel 5 "story" was a joke considering they didn't name names but used blurred-out basketball highlights where it was apparent who they were focused on.

This will all come out very soon and before long Rick Majerus will be forced to talk about it — either the player or players no longer on the roster or the whole team being on there.

But I don't expect the school to announce anything because there are restrictions about what school officials can say about students. There was no press release about Femi John's medical issue, but he's no longer on the basketball team's roster. There are things the school is restricted from saying, but at some point Majerus will have to talk about it.

As always thank you for your post. I too believe the media (save one local outlet) is handling this exactly as it should be handled, the school also as there are privacy issues. I am expecting a storm as soon as RM ends his silence.

put me in the camp that no news is good news for the basketball program and nothing will happen. i believe any official comment will only involve bad news towards the players of concern.

if there is not going to be any discipline handed out, there will be no comment and the season will go on as if nothing happened.

so for those wanting that to happen we got about two more days to wait for nothing. once they blow the start of practice whistle imo they are home free.

There has been nothing until today about MU and IL so is there a news black out there also? I also think that I got something in the fall about RM speaking at the MO Athletic Club so it is not like he has been hiding. I also think he has spent much of his time in Milwaukee because his mother has been very ill which also might explain the silence issue. As far as Frank C goes it was his station that leaked the news about the hearing so maybe he is on the down low because of that - who knows. I do agree you are right you are a conspiracy theorist on this one.

Yeah. And Tom and the sports staff decide what to cover based on what the athletic department tells them. :rolleyes:

I guess the fact that Mizzou football is undefeated and ranked might have just a bit of bearing on what the (very limited in number) sports staff is assigned to cover on any given day. Tom's been doing occasional color pieces on Tiger football throughout the season; he also just did a series of stories on the collegiate hockey tourney at Kielvis Trade and he's been covering SLU soccer. You basically go where you're told in this business (not to mention there are only so many stories you can do in a day or week).

+1