Andy Strickland Report

P.B.

Well, I am in St. Louis this weekend, and it may be letting me hear the streets a little better...

From what I have heard is that the issue surrounding the player has less to do with the incident discussed by Strickland. Instead it has to do with a different potential violation of university policy. This is likely why there is buzz regarding student court involvement. So people (such as Strickland) may be connecting the wrong two dots. They may have heard of certain things recently happening at SLU, and assumed it was because of what got reported in the news months ago. There however may be another cause entirely.

This doesn't mean that everything is in the clear, but my guess is that it is premature to connect the player's name to acts of wrongdoing involving daughters. I admit I know little about what happened in the spring, and I hope nothing inappropriate happened. I however think that this buzz may be generated by something else.

I do apologize for vagueness. What I hate is for a player to get a undeserved reputation (either regarding what happened months ago, or another violation). So I am trying to disconnect this situation from the one earlier this year.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit, I've never heard of such a scenario taking place with an on-campus board being able to potentially expel a student-athlete. It may happen at other places, but I've never seen anything like this. To lose a key player before the season under such circumstances. Well, that's a good way to lose a coach. Should be interesting to see how this all shakes out, all the way through.

bad boyz for life

I must admit, I've never heard of such a scenario taking place with an on-campus board being able to potentially expel a student-athlete. It may happen at other places, but I've never seen anything like this. To lose a key player before the season under such circumstances. Well, that's a good way to lose a coach. Should be interesting to see how this all shakes out, all the way through.

bad boyz for life

If Majerus wants to quit over one of his players breaking school rules and getting kicked out let him. You can't take a hands off approach with kids nowadays or our program will look like that one down 70 with guys getting arrested on a weekly basis. If a player is involved in a string of questionable incidents that indicates to me a lack of institutional control. If Majerus can't run a program anymore then he needs to go.

If Reed is having people look at options overseas for him he better be careful. Not too hard to go too far on that and then be ineligible to play regardless or get SLU investigated over it.

If Majerus wants to quit over one of his players breaking school rules and getting kicked out let him. You can't take a hands off approach with kids nowadays or our program will look like that one down 70 with guys getting arrested on a weekly basis. If a player is involved in a string of questionable incidents that indicates to me a lack of institutional control. If Majerus can't run a program anymore then he needs to go.

If Reed is having people look at options overseas for him he better be careful. Not too hard to go too far on that and then be ineligible to play regardless or get SLU investigated over it.

First of all, Strickland is a scumbag weasel.

SluSignGuy is correct, the so called "incident" is no longer the issue. There are other violations, though dissimilar, and it sure would be questionable for SLU to keep the kid from playing for these matters, p diddy is right. Only at SLU. And I'm not so sure I agree with implying that RM can't run a program any more until we find otherwise.

Not trying to defend RM about how he deals with players and off-court issues. Just saying that I've never seen such a scenario at any college. Could you imagine a student board at the University of Florida. They would never be out of session because they would be throwing players out left and right. Just a mention of "lack on institutional control" and SLU basketball in the same breath would be a leap of enormous proportions, considering what we've seen with programs around the country. My only point was that I've never heard of such a board that has that kind of power in all of the years that i have been following college sports. Never even seen it mentioned in the news.

could you imagine a "student board" trying to kick out an indiana player when "The General" was in charge. That would be entertaining television, to say the least.

Torch, I was quoting Strickland. He said it on the show. I do agree with others that a student board shouldn't decide a player's fate. That's up to the coach and the AD. Obviously, the team has rules. The school has rules. The NCAA has rules. Society has laws. If a kid breaks a serious rule or the law, whatever it may be, he deserves to be punished. But the punishment should fit the crime.

Some of the opinions expressed in this thread are the worst part of message boards. I appreciate those who have valid information to share, but the speculation about who is to blame is very premature. There hasn't even been an announced allegation of wrongdoing, and there is a discussion of "lack of institutional control" and a "hands off approach" by the coach. Wow! That's quite a leap. What country do we live in again? What is that about innocent until proven guilty? Not fair to WR, and really not fair to Rick.

I'm assuming this is exactly what Strickland was hoping would happen after his "report".

Some of the opinions expressed in this thread are the worst part of message boards. I appreciate those who have valid information to share, but the speculation about who is to blame is very premature. There hasn't even been an announced allegation of wrongdoing, and there is a discussion of "lack of institutional control" and a "hands off approach" by the coach. Wow! That's quite a leap. What country do we live in again? What is that about innocent until proven guilty? Not fair to WR, and really not fair to Rick.

I'm assuming this is exactly what Strickland was hoping would happen after his "report".

i am not taking sides, but i get very tired of people throwing out the "innocent until proven guilty" line. this isnt about rights. this is about the PRIVLEDGE to play college basketball and even more importantly get a free education at a top university. a privledge. part of that privledge, means a college basketball player has to act in a proper manner and protect the good name of saint louis university. they are held to a higher standard than anyone else at the school.

these players are the most visible individuals at slu with maybe the exeception of father biondi and rick majerus. part of that responsibility is to never put themselves in a difficult position. they do not have a "right" to be a student athlete on full scholarxhip. they have a privledge. if it ends up a police matter that is a different story, but not with a slu basketball scholarship. they have a responsibility to make us proud off the court as much if not more than on the court.

p diddy, as much as i respect your apppearances here and value your input, as an alumni and booster of saint louis university i dont want to ever be compared as a university to the likes of florida. i couldnt care less about how booby knight would have reacted. i want saint louis university to always stand above all others in the actions of our student athleites. i want to always be able to take pride in saying "our athletes dont act like that.

none of us know what exactly happened. but if a second incident even approaching what happened in the spring has come up, then it is time to go. i dont care if it costs us the fordham game and all others as well. i want slu students to be better than the norm off the court. i trust chris may and father biondi will make the right decision and what happens happens. if rick majerus doesnt like that stance, imo he isnt the all loving jesuit university individual he has always represented and probably shouldnt be our coach. i have a feeling that whatever father biondi and chris may decide, rick majerus will agree.

I agree Roy. I really think both fr biondi won't take any nonsense when it comes to SLU's reputation. As long as the punsihment fits the wrongdoing I think Rick would be fine with it. We just need to let all this play out instead of jumping to conclusions.

I refuse to post anything I know about this situation because:

1. Anything I have learned has been told to me in confidence,

2. The entire process is supposed to be highly confidential from the student's point of view by rule of the university--I am shocked that a faculty member would come on here and post anything about it!

3. This kind of rumor mongering and comments like those from Torch and others which are made with no idea of the true facts are very damaging to the players, the coaches, the program and the school.

Torch, even in your fantasy world where you know nothing personally about any of the facts but post highly aggressive and hurtful things about the program and the coach, I would think that you would understand that we are dealing with young people who as opposed to you, a perfect human being in every way, make some mistakes. All of us who have kids who have gone thru their late teens and early 20s know that they are at a time in their lives when they can make bad decisions--as a parent you hope they are small things and they learn from their mistakes.

This team is comprised of a very good group of solid young men. I am very proud of our track record and the quality of the players on and off the court. Where in the hell do you come up with this junk--If Majerus cannot run a program anymore then he needs to go? No one who knows this coach would ever suggest that he is anything but old school and he expects and demands that his players be real students and good citizens. He cannot control their every move when they are out on their own just like we as parents cannot control every move of our kids when they are away from home.

When I said there are people who post on this board who want to hurt the program and the school this string is a perfect example. Strickland is a guy we know hates SLU and wants to hurt the program. Posters on this board then send us to all of his comments and then give every comment complete credibility and act as if everything he says is true, even when faced with a history of false statements over and over again from this source.

I know I am perceived as a person out of touch with the "modern" way where everyone can post vicious and false things about people without attribution and that is just fine but I think it is outrageous. Might I suggest that we let this play out and stop with all the unsupported speculation.

IF a player actually acted in a way that is an embarrassment to the University that can not go unpunished. However, I do not agree that we should expect players or anyone at all to "never put themselves in a difficult position." That is an unachievable standard for anyone much less a college student.

As a double SLU graduate and supporter of the school I do want the institution to be respected but that should not preclude sports success. Right now I don't know what this alleged "other incident" is but it is my concern that this is a knee jerk reaction of the school. A knee jerk student review board is extremely unfair to the player and the team to wait until nearly halfway through the 1st semester to convene. We are talking about the future of a young man and his track to graduate from school and play basketball. Waiting undermines a players ability to transfer it also hurts the team if there is a negative decision.

P Diddy is right I've never heard about any type of board making a decision like this and I hope SLU doesn't become the first. I know that Oregon kicked out a QB who eventually landed at Ole Miss but I think it was the Head Coach's decision. I'm not a Florida fan but what have they done that is so bad? They had a player go to a party hosted by an agent, big deal.

I hope this is all for naught and Willie continues to play.

2. The entire process is supposed to be highly confidential from the student's point of view by rule of the university--I am shocked that a faculty member would come on here and post anything about it!

3. This kind of rumor mongering and comments like those from Torch and others which are made with no idea of the true facts are very damaging to the players, the coaches, the program and the school.

Torch, even in your fantasy world where you know nothing personally about any of the facts but post highly aggressive and hurtful things about the program and the coach, I would think that you would understand that we are dealing with young people who as opposed to you, a perfect human being in every way, make some mistakes. All of us who have kids who have gone thru their late teens and early 20s know that they are at a time in their lives when they can make bad decisions--as a parent you hope they are small things and they learn from their mistakes.

This team is comprised of a very good group of solid young men. I am very proud of our track record and the quality of the players on and off the court. Where in the hell do you come up with this junk--If Majerus cannot run a program anymore then he needs to go? No one who knows this coach would ever suggest that he is anything but old school and he expects and demands that his players be real students and good citizens. He cannot control their every move when they are out on their own just like we as parents cannot control every move of our kids when they are away from home.

When I said there are people who post on this board who want to hurt the program and the school this string is a perfect example. Strickland is a guy we know hates SLU and wants to hurt the program. Posters on this board then send us to all of his comments and then give every comment complete credibility and act as if everything he says is true, even when faced with a history of false statements over and over again from this source.

I know I am perceived as a person out of touch with the "modern" way where everyone can post vicious and false things about people without attribution and that is just fine but I think it is outrageous. Might I suggest that we let this play out and stop with all the unsupported speculation.

+1

It does seem a little strange that it would take this long to have the judicial review concerning the incident last spring, but I guess that could be the case. When I was at SLU a friend of mine was involved in an incident the second week of the school year that ended up with the girl claiming she was raped and it was almost two months before there was the actual hearing. The result of the hearing was him being expelled from the University, but they allowed him to finish the semester. The reason for him being ruled against was because the board believed that the girl was intoxicated and thus incapable of giving consent. The board was made up of a mix of students, alums, professors, and faculty, so I guess it is conceivable that they were not able to proceed with a hearing over the summer, but that seems kind of strange. The boards ruling was given at the end of the hearing in my friend's case. If this incident is going in front of the board I would think the key questions they will have is whether they had sex and if the girl was in a condition to give consent. I have no idea what happened or whether or not the incident will be going in front of the board, but this was my concern from when this story broke back in the spring. While the city does not file charges in the majority these cases that are merely a he said/she said the University has much different rules concerning consent and expulsion is on the table.

If Strickland is again just stiring the pot and ends up being wrong, he really needs to go.

Some people mentioned that they couldn't think of another school where a student/faculty board makes decisions on a student-athlete's future at the university. I can think of one right off the top of my head, and that is Notre Dame. Anytime a student there is thought to be involved in anything that could even potentially illegal, on or off campus, their case goes to their Office of Residence Life. Apparently that board can be rather strict. In 2008, a member of the football team was suspended for the remainder of the season by ResLife for his second alcohol related arrest (first was a drunken driving arrest and second was an underage drinking arrest). Their star wide receiver on the team currently, Michael Floyd, had to appear before ResLife for a citation he received for underage drinking at a party on Christmas break while back home in Minnesota last year. I read an article in which the ResLife board's decision making was "inconsistent and unpredictable." Former ND coach Charlie Weis was once quoted as saying that ResLife was by far "the biggest problem on campus relative to the football program.” Apparently Notre Dame has a very large student manual called du Lac, containing many rules and regulations which if violated can net anyone in some hot water.

My entire post was hypothetical. I have no inside info just have heard the rumors here.

I want to make it clear I agree with Roy though. IF any of these things are true and IF a player gets kicked off the team by the student court Majerus' I beleive must be reevaluated. This can't be swept under the rug. SLU has a higher standard and we should keep it that way. IF Majerus can't handle it or doesn't like it then SLU needs another coach.

Personally I'd rather have Majerus take care of this himself. If something went on bad enough to be judged in front of the student court then Majerus should have already kicked off that player. What if this continues? Do we become like Mi$$ou? Look at all the bad press they have gotten, 3 arrests in the preseason. I don't want anything like that at SLU.

My entire post was hypothetical. I have no inside info just have heard the rumors here.

I want to make it clear I agree with Roy though. IF any of these things are true and IF a player gets kicked off the team by the student court Majerus' I beleive must be reevaluated. This can't be swept under the rug. SLU has a higher standard and we should keep it that way. IF Majerus can't handle it or doesn't like it then SLU needs another coach.

Personally I'd rather have Majerus take care of this himself. If something went on bad enough to be judged in front of the student court then Majerus should have already kicked off that player. What if this continues? Do we become like Mi$$ou? Look at all the bad press they have gotten, 3 arrests in the preseason. I don't want anything like that at SLU.

Unbelievable.

Throwing trash like this around.

You are being very very unfair to Majerus to post nonsense like this; it is premature, unsubstantiated...

Wait for facts, then decide, for Christsake.

If people think that the young man in question who has gone in front of this board is the first SLU basketball player to have a transgression while in school, we are being quite naive. I'm for above board standards for our players as well, but let's not act like this the first player who has gone sideways and it first happened under RM. RG, CS, LR and BS have had to deal with a knucklehead or two during their tenure here.

In this case, whatever happen will happen.

bad boyz for life

i am not taking sides, but i get very tired of people throwing out the "innocent until proven guilty" line. this isnt about rights. this is about the PRIVLEDGE to play college basketball and even more importantly get a free education at a top university. a privledge. part of that privledge, means a college basketball player has to act in a proper manner and protect the good name of saint louis university. they are held to a higher standard than anyone else at the school.

these players are the most visible individuals at slu with maybe the exeception of father biondi and rick majerus. part of that responsibility is to never put themselves in a difficult position. they do not have a "right" to be a student athlete on full scholarxhip. they have a privledge. if it ends up a police matter that is a different story, but not with a slu basketball scholarship. they have a responsibility to make us proud off the court as much if not more than on the court.

p diddy, as much as i respect your apppearances here and value your input, as an alumni and booster of saint louis university i dont want to ever be compared as a university to the likes of florida. i couldnt care less about how booby knight would have reacted. i want saint louis university to always stand above all others in the actions of our student athleites. i want to always be able to take pride in saying "our athletes dont act like that.

none of us know what exactly happened. but if a second incident even approaching what happened in the spring has come up, then it is time to go. i dont care if it costs us the fordham game and all others as well. i want slu students to be better than the norm off the court. i trust chris may and father biondi will make the right decision and what happens happens. if rick majerus doesnt like that stance, imo he isnt the all loving jesuit university individual he has always represented and probably shouldnt be our coach. i have a feeling that whatever father biondi and chris may decide, rick majerus will agree.

Agreed.

Well, whatever happens happens, but I'm sure Mr. Strickland (Mr. D'bag really) is getting his jollies off reading this board because this is what that self important little jerk wanted. If all this comes to naught, SLU should raise holy he^^ with the FAN and have that guy canned once and for all. At best he's irresponsible. At worst he's a scum bag who shouldn't be allowed on the public airwaves.

Well, whatever happens happens, but I'm sure Mr. Strickland (Mr. D'bag really) is getting his jollies off reading this board because this is what that self important little jerk wanted. If all this comes to naught, SLU should raise holy he^^ with the FAN and have that guy canned once and for all. At best he's irresponsible. At worst he's a scum bag who shouldn't be allowed on the public airwaves.

I didn't really know much about this Strickland kid. I did a little asking around. Turns out he is just some relatively young kid trying to make a name for himself. He probably struggles (with all the sport radio "personalities" I doubt he's making very much) and, like so many, is trying to get noticed so he gets paid more. Kind of sad, but he is far from the only one in this position. He is just a part of the system. I think people should just ignore the majority of these hypesters in the first place.

It has been a long time since I was as infuriated as I am about your posts and other crap on this board. You know absolutely nothing and yet you basically want the coach to be fired! No coach in the country can absolutely guarantee that his young men will act 100% appropriately at all times. Our coach has recruited fine young men and he insists that they be real students. Look at the time since this coach was hired and look at the improvement in terms of the recruiting, the play on the court and the potential for the future. And everyone is expected to study and be a legit student at a good school taking real courses. And we do not run a program like so many others who cheat and recruit thugs who are felons. In this instance, if a player makes a mistake it will be dealt with appropriately. You and Roy are so negative about our coach that you twist the situation to your own uses and your own motives--to get rid of the coach who is one of the best coaches we have ever had. I have come to the the conclusion that one of the biggest problems with the Billiken basketball program is supposed "fans" like you and Roy. You and others are only fans if everything goes exactly as you think they should and if anything is done in any way you don't like then you are no longer fans but rather are opponents who want to disrupt things and complain constantly. As far as I am concerned we don't need "fans" who just want to complain if things don't go exactly as they want them to. If we do as you suggest, and get rid of our current coach, do you not understand that we will never again get any coach of any quality because we will be viewed as idiots who fire good coaches? But, as I said earlier, I am really happy that you are such a perfect human being, even if you are unable to understand that others might make mistakes in their lives.

Billikan and Roy,

AMEN

Some people mentioned that they couldn't think of another school where a student/faculty board makes decisions on a student-athlete's future at the university. I can think of one right off the top of my head, and that is Notre Dame. Anytime a student there is thought to be involved in anything that could even potentially illegal, on or off campus, their case goes to their Office of Residence Life. Apparently that board can be rather strict.

You beat me to the punch. ResLife has suspended plenty of players for a year: hoops and football. I think they had someone transfer a year ago after handing out a year long suspension.

BYU is even worse, but I think the players realize how strict it is and don't get into trouble. Didn't it used to be if you got a bad enough Technical in a game, you might not be at school anymore? I think they kick that girl out on an MTV reality show just because she was on it and behaved inappropriately.

The Zags nailed suspended a hoops player who got caught with pot.

I think the Majerus thing is a big leap. In fact, the school probably would rather handle this themselves than let the coach have anything to do with it. Anyway, Majerus has taken a hard line over the last year with the player that has been mentioned, but the reasons were kept quiet.

That is another thing about SLU (Biondi and faculty) they are probably trying to keep things relatively private, not just for the accused sake but also for the party that has been wronged.

It has been a long time since I was as infuriated as I am about your posts and other crap on this board. You know absolutely nothing and yet you basically want the coach to be fired! No coach in the country can absolutely guarantee that his young men will act 100% appropriately at all times. Our coach has recruited fine young men and he insists that they be real students. Look at the time since this coach was hired and look at the improvement in terms of the recruiting, the play on the court and the potential for the future. And everyone is expected to study and be a legit student at a good school taking real courses. And we do not run a program like so many others who cheat and recruit thugs who are felons. In this instance, if a player makes a mistake it will be dealt with appropriately. You and Roy are so negative about our coach that you twist the situation to your own uses and your own motives--to get rid of the coach who is one of the best coaches we have ever had. I have come to the the conclusion that one of the biggest problems with the Billiken basketball program is supposed "fans" like you and Roy. You and others are only fans if everything goes exactly as you think they should and if anything is done in any way you don't like then you are no longer fans but rather are opponents who want to disrupt things and complain constantly. As far as I am concerned we don't need "fans" who just want to complain if things don't go exactly as they want them to. If we do as you suggest, and get rid of our current coach, do you not understand that we will never again get any coach of any quality because we will be viewed as idiots who fire good coaches? But, as I said earlier, I am really happy that you are such a perfect human being, even if you are unable to understand that others might make mistakes in their lives.

As posted just a few minutes ago, I agreed with your earlier post, BUT this post is so far out of line with regard to Roy, it disgusts me. You may disagree with Roy but to say that fans like him are one of the biggest problems with the Billiken MBB program is probably one of the most objectionable comments I have read in over a few years on this Board. Your negative attitude about the current level of the 2010-11 team reminds me of all the times you have accused anyone who disagrees with you about ANYTHING of being negative.

What gives you the right to come on this Board with all your accusations. You give a few bucks to the program? Great so do others, including Roy and me. Knock it off old timer. This post of yours is a disgrace!