Open Gym Recap

crymdg2

A buddy of mine was playing basketball up at the rec today at the same time the players were playing. Most of it was about the new guys, but here is what he relayed to me:

Mike McCall - The best of the incoming guys. Very explosive, dominant today. I asked him how he compared to Kwamain at the same point in their careers. He said McCall is the better shooter, but Kwamain was the better ball handler (kind of what we were already led to believe.) Overall very positive report.

Jake Barnett - Can really shoot the ball from deep

Rob Loe - Definitely needs to toughen up. Played really soft. Kind of expected seeing as the international game is very different than what we play in America. He has a lot of time to improve.

Jordair Jett - Kid can really elevate and get above the rim

Dwayne Evans - 6'3'' - 6'4'' but really plays bigger than that

Cody Ellis - Has thinned out from last year. Probably means Majerus wants him playing the 3 more this year

Willie Reed - Looks a little bigger

Cory Remekun - Looks to be much improved. I'm really looking forward to seeing his progression. If we could get him and Willie on the court at the same time in spurts I think that would be a tough match up for a lot of people

Nothing earth shattering here, but I thought even a little info was worth passing on seeing as things are pretty slow.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also got this text w/r/t tonight's session:

"just watched willie go 0-13 on free throws at the rec. allllllright"

Ha...good thing it was a pickup game...

I'm sure once he gets used to the new muscle mass he has put on, he'll be just fine ;)

In all seriousness, I'm hoping his free throw shooting improves, but I think it is something we will just have to live with. Hope teams don't do the 'Hack a Willie' when we have a lead.

Thank you for the report, Crime Dog II.

Jett can soar? I guess with a name like Jordair that should be expected. But I hadn't read anything to suggest that he was a leaper. It sounds like an upgrade over Justin Jordan with respect to ballhandling and defense.

I'm hoping the Bills can average over 70 ppg this season.

Mike McCall - The best of the incoming guys. Very explosive, dominant today. I asked him how he compared to Kwamain at the same point in their careers. He said McCall is the better shooter, but Kwamain was the better ball handler (kind of what we were already led to believe.) Overall very positive report.

Rob Loe - Definitely needs to toughen up. Played really soft. Kind of expected seeing as the international game is very different than what we play in America. He has a lot of time to improve.

Cory Remekun - Looks to be much improved. I'm really looking forward to seeing his progression. If we could get him and Willie on the court at the same time in spurts I think that would be a tough match up for a lot of people

BK18 Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:12 PM

Other Predictions (just guesses really):

MM is the stud of the recruiting class, but just doesn't have a lot of play time opportunities.

RL lacks the strength and muscle mass to be a strong presence down low.

CR doesn't put up a lot of points, but will be a tank defensively, and will make a lot less mistakes than last year. (2nd most improved to WR)

I don't watch open gym sessions, but can anyone comment on RL's height. Is he really 6'11''. I saw him next to Barnett and he only looks 3-4 inches taller. Barnett is tall, but I don't think he's 6'7''.

It'd be nice if the Athletic Dept. actually posted real, accurate height and weight information.

I don't watch open gym sessions, but can anyone comment on RL's height. Is he really 6'11''. I saw him next to Barnett and he only looks 3-4 inches taller. Barnett is tall, but I don't think he's 6'7''.

It'd be nice if the Athletic Dept. actually posted real, accurate height and weight information.

I'd be willing to bet if you asked any of the players their height, they would tell you exactly what the Athletic Department has them listed as. The heights are accurate.

Huh? SLU under RM has typically reported accurate heights. Its the highschools and other colleges that often report an inch or two bigger than they really are.

Huh? SLU under RM has typically reported accurate heights. Its the highschools and other colleges that often report an inch or two bigger than they really are.

I don't think there's been an 'official' weigh in for the freshmen yet. All the heights are the one's listed from high school and they don't have weights yet.

Guest BillikenReport

Was told recently that Loe measured 6-10 3/4 or 6-11 3/4 when he got to SLU. Sorry I can't remember exactly, but he's the tallest player on the team.

What??? How can you say that everyone else is wrong but SLU is accurate?

Going back 2 years ago when RM first started bringing in his own guys, I remember BT's mother posted on our Board how happy she was that BT was coming to SLU, how excited BT was to be a Billiken and coached by RM, that her son had just had his regular physical exam and that her son had grown to 7 foot -- a huge milestone for a big man. I doubt that BT's mother was confused or misunderstood the doctor/actual measurement. Two (2) months later, SLU's official website shows BT measures 6'10". Sorry, I believe BT's mom and not SLU on that one.

Do I believe that some, possibly many, highschools, scouting services, players, coaches and colleges overstate at kid's height/weight in order to better promote/hype the kid? Sure. At the same time, I don't believe SLU is any accurate source either.

Going back 2 years ago when RM first started bringing in his own guys, I remember BT's mother posted on our Board how happy she was that BT was coming to SLU, how excited BT was to be a Billiken and coached by RM, that her son had just had his regular physical exam and that her son had grown to 7 foot -- a huge milestone for a big man. I doubt that BT's mother was confused or misunderstood the doctor/actual measurement. Two (2) months later, SLU's official website shows BT measures 6'10". Sorry, I believe BT's mom and not SLU on that one.

Do I believe that some, possibly many, highschools, scouting services, players, coaches and colleges overstate at kid's height/weight in order to better promote/hype the kid? Sure. At the same time, I don't believe SLU is any accurate source either.

If his mom was as dumb as he was, I wouldn't believe a word she said.

Apparently, Soderberg doesn't believe Ms. Thompson. He is not listed as 7 feet on the Lindenwood roster.

http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball&

or the reason for the difference could be one was taken barefoot and the other was done with shoes, custom insoles, and socks on.

Yes, but he's listed at 6'11" at Lindenwood and was only 6'10" at SLU.

There it is again, the 1 or two extra inches at the other schools.

Look, I'm not going to get into what player X's mom said or posted (talk about proof) but I do believe that highschools and many colleges have often reported players heights 1 to 2 inches higher than the really are. Happens all the time that when players go to the NBA draft, their height gets knocked down an inch or two. Maybe the players are measured in shoes then rounded up. Who knows.

But I do believe if you want a fair assesment of a players natural height, SLU's under RM is more accurate than most other sources.

A buddy of mine was playing basketball up at the rec today at the same time the players were playing. Most of it was about the new guys, but here is what he relayed to me:

Jake Barnett - Can really shoot the ball from deep

Jordair Jett - Kid can really elevate and get above the rim

Dwayne Evans - 6'3'' - 6'4'' but really plays bigger than that

Cody Ellis - Has thinned out from last year. Probably means Majerus wants him playing the 3 more this year

Willie Reed - Looks a little bigger

Nothing earth shattering here, but I thought even a little info was worth passing on seeing as things are pretty slow.

DO you really want Cory and Willie on the court at the same time? I can see where there might be the very rare matchup issue, but Cory isn't that tall and neither have any offensive game even 10 ft away from the basket. I'd rather see Cory as Willie's back up. It seems to me if they are on the floor together we're going to be very disapointed in Rob Loe and the Oregon enforcer.

Does it really matter??????? I always preferred the equi-height teams featured by the Doctors of Dunk at Louisville, and Ken Norman's team at Illinois. I see the BT and Andrew Bogut and Greg Oden and Shaquille O'Neal types as slowdown players. While I know we don't run, I would prefer to in terms of in-game excitement. I also like 18 to 10 baseball games and 7 to 5 hockey games as opposed to the 2 tro 1s or 3 to 2s. Especiall yif I am not emotionally involved.

Its not the size of the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog .... give me heart, talent, so on. Who gives a rat's ass about an inch or tow. Last time I checked, height didn't win too many basketball games on it own.

Does it really matter??????? I always preferred the equi-height teams featured by the Doctors of Dunk at Louisville, and Ken Norman's team at Illinois. I see the BT and Andrew Bogut and Greg Oden and Shaquille O'Neal types as slowdown players. While I know we don't run, I would prefer to in terms of in-game excitement. I also like 18 to 10 baseball games and 7 to 5 hockey games as opposed to the 2 tro 1s or 3 to 2s. Especiall yif I am not emotionally involved.

Its not the size of the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog .... give me heart, talent, so on. Who gives a rat's ass about an inch or tow. Last time I checked, height didn't win too many basketball games on it own.

i believe the second most effective billiken power forward since 1982 was 6'3" donnie dobbs

DO you really want Cory and Willie on the court at the same time? I can see where there might be the very rare matchup issue, but Cory isn't that tall and neither have any offensive game even 10 ft away from the basket. I'd rather see Cory as Willie's back up. It seems to me if they are on the floor together we're going to be very disapointed in Rob Loe and the Oregon enforcer.

I wouldn't want them on the court at the same time all the time, but I think it would be fine for a couple minutes though here and there. I doubt offensively those 2 on the court at the same time are much worse if at all than Willie and Conklin. I haven't seen Loe yet so I can't comment on that. As far as the 5 guys I'd like to see play the majority of the minutes together would be:

KM, KC, CE, WR then the 5th guy we will see. I would love that person to be McCall but we would be playing pretty small. I would guess it will be Conklin, and hopefully a healthy Conklin at that.

I wouldn't want them on the court at the same time all the time, but I think it would be fine for a couple minutes though here and there. I doubt offensively those 2 on the court at the same time are much worse if at all than Willie and Conklin. I haven't seen Loe yet so I can't comment on that. As far as the 5 guys I'd like to see play the majority of the minutes together would be:

KM, KC, CE, WR then the 5th guy we will see. I would love that person to be McCall but we would be playing pretty small. I would guess it will be Conklin, and hopefully a healthy Conklin at that.

I don't think from the descriptions floated on here and by RM that Rob Loe is going to be a 4 or 5; I think Sophomore year he comes in about where Conklin did with no body fat and a fade away 3 pointer

much like the blond 6 foot 10 kid from Marquette 8-10 years ago-can't think of his name but some kids are just not going nose to nose in a sport they consider non contact.

I really would like to see a Chris Heinrich 5 that could run the floor and finish.