Open Gym Recap

crymdg2

Agree totally, the inexperience factor is no longer an excuse. Look we've got a potential 1st team pg, a rumored to be potential NBA pick, one of the top 5 Aussie players, the top NZ player who was selected to that world HS allstar game, and a bunch of JR's and Sophs who've garnered serious minutes. We should no longer expect to be X's, Temple's, or anyone else's whipping boy this year. Not even Mighty Duke. Next year is this year. And 2011-12 season should be much better than this year.

I agree with you and Clocktower. Inexperience excuses need to cease even if RL does not contribute much this year and I believe he will be helpful but, of all the freshmen, the least effective. I'm not saying he won't be good, but early on I believe he will be behind the other freshmen. By the middle of the season he may be the most effective, once he makes the appropriate adjustments. However, we could be very good this year and not win as many games as last year.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you and Clocktower. Inexperience excuses need to cease even if RL does not contribute much this year and I believe he will be helpful but, of all the freshmen, the least effective. I'm not saying he won't be good, but early on I believe he will be behind the other freshmen. By the middle of the season he may be the most effective, once he makes the appropriate adjustments. However, we could be very good this year and not win as many games as last year.

We will win 23 games or more next season, it just won't take 36 games to get there. Book it.

We will win 23 games or more next season, it just won't take 36 games to get there. Book it.

Agree completely. Also RM has now had a couple of years to get aquaited with the other coaches tendencies. I' say at least 25 wins this year with one at "x".

Agree completely. Also RM has now had a couple of years to get aquaited with the other coaches tendencies. I' say at least 25 wins this year with one at "x".

I'll treat you and kshoe to dinner at Pappy's if this happens. Book that. I hope it happens. ( You would have to buy your own beer if you drink. I don't buy liquor. Soft drinks, yes)

I would really like to see a Chris Heinrich 5, but one that can run, shoot, dribble, pass, post up and finish.

your high upgrade heinrich you describe would be an nba lottery pick and a one and done freshman. i would bet we never see a player like that recruited by rickma. he wants four year players. your guy goes to kentucky or memphis.

your high upgrade heinrich you describe would be an nba lottery pick and a one and done freshman. i would bet we never see a player like that recruited by rickma. he wants four year players. your guy goes to kentucky or memphis.

Rickma could have made BT a Heinrich 5 but he would have had to redshirt a year and learn to growl. CR should listen to his coach-RM doesn't need the money or fame and he will do what is best for both

the player and SLU if he has somebone to work with that can keep getting better.

Can he make Willie Reed add 50 pounds and still jump? No. Can he make Willie make 70% of his free throws? Probably not.

CR is not necessarily going to be better than Willie but I think RM can make more of a difference with CR. Willie may be one of those players that keeps getting better at what he came in with and we

should be thankful for the talent he has. He certainly was the surprise of his class.

I'll treat you and kshoe to dinner at Pappy's if this happens. Book that. I hope it happens. ( You would have to buy your own beer if you drink. I don't buy liquor. Soft drinks, yes)

Hey - I want some of that dinner, too. I'll pay for my own beer.

My thoughts

We will be in the hunt to win 25 games this year.

We'll be ranked in the Top 25 sometime this year.

We'll make the tournament and win at least one game.

We need to raise our expectations, not temper them. We won 23 games and finished 4th in the A-10. We have all of our starters back, plus what is arguably the best recruiting class in SLU history. We have eight guys who have started a total of 237 games over the past two years. I'd bet no other program can match that. We need to quit talking about being young and patient. We're ready now.

As far as winning 25 games goes, here are the totals for Rick's last 13 seasons when he has coached the entire year before coming to SLU (includes one year at Ball St. and 12 at Utah: 30, 24, 24, 14, 28, 27, 29, 30, 28, 23, 21, and 25. So yeah, I'd say 25 is in play. By the way, 10 of the 13 years his team won the conference championship.

We've got a Hall of Fame coach, all of our guys back, and a great recruiting class. We'll be better next year, but we're ready to win now.

Doubters raise your expecations - SLU is ready to make some noise in college basketball THIS YEAR

Hey - I want some of that dinner, too. I'll pay for my own beer.

My thoughts

We will be in the hunt to win 25 games this year.

We'll be ranked in the Top 25 sometime this year.

We'll make the tournament and win at least one game.

We need to raise our expectations, not temper them. We won 23 games and finished 4th in the A-10. We have all of our starters back, plus what is arguably the best recruiting class in SLU history. We have eight guys who have started a total of 237 games over the past two years. I'd bet no other program can match that. We need to quit talking about being young and patient. We're ready now.

As far as winning 25 games goes, here are the totals for Rick's last 13 seasons when he has coached the entire year before coming to SLU (includes one year at Ball St. and 12 at Utah: 30, 24, 24, 14, 28, 27, 29, 30, 28, 23, 21, and 25. So yeah, I'd say 25 is in play. By the way, 10 of the 13 years his team won the conference championship.

We've got a Hall of Fame coach, all of our guys back, and a great recruiting class. We'll be better next year, but we're ready to win now.

Doubters raise your expecations - SLU is ready to make some noise in college basketball THIS YEAR

+1

A buddy of mine was playing basketball up at the rec today at the same time the players were playing. Most of it was about the new guys, but here is what he relayed to me:

Mike McCall - The best of the incoming guys. Very explosive, dominant today. I asked him how he compared to Kwamain at the same point in their careers. He said McCall is the better shooter, but Kwamain was the better ball handler (kind of what we were already led to believe.) Overall very positive report.

Jake Barnett - Can really shoot the ball from deep

Rob Loe - Definitely needs to toughen up. Played really soft. Kind of expected seeing as the international game is very different than what we play in America. He has a lot of time to improve.

Jordair Jett - Kid can really elevate and get above the rim

Dwayne Evans - 6'3'' - 6'4'' but really plays bigger than that

Cody Ellis - Has thinned out from last year. Probably means Majerus wants him playing the 3 more this year

Willie Reed - Looks a little bigger

Cory Remekun - Looks to be much improved. I'm really looking forward to seeing his progression. If we could get him and Willie on the court at the same time in spurts I think that would be a tough match up for a lot of people

Nothing earth shattering here, but I thought even a little info was worth passing on seeing as things are pretty slow.

We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?