McCall named to Sun-Times all-state team

brianstl

Every season there seems to be one senior who takes his game up a notch and emerges as one of the best players in the area. This year that guy was Foreman guard Mike McCall.

For the first three years of his high school career, McCall wasn’t even considered the best 2010 prospect on his own team. That was Lavonte Dority, a strong point guard who committed to South Florida.

McCall, who signed with St. Louis, blasted out of Dority’s shadow this season.

http://yourseason.suntimes.com/2110887,031...-mccall.article

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get Loe, and we are in the top 25 at some point next season. You figure the A-10 should be a very good conference next year. At points this past season, the top 3 teams in the A-10 were in the top 25. I'm projecting SLU to finish in the top 3 next year so I'm thinking we could be in the top 25. Am I being a homer here?

Also, we need SLU and Biondi to put us on the floor for every game at the Fetz. Guarantee we go undefeated at home.

Get Loe, and we are in the top 25 at some point next season. You figure the A-10 should be a very good conference next year. At points this past season, the top 3 teams in the A-10 were in the top 25. I'm projecting SLU to finish in the top 3 next year so I'm thinking we could be in the top 25. Am I being a homer here?

You are not being a homer.

Sure McCall will help with our woes at shooting guard. But we also have a hole at SF. Can Dwayne Evans contribute there? I'm curious to see how ready Evans is to contribute when he arrives on campus. Whether or not we get Loe is another huge variable. I get the impression that RM will add another player whether it be Loe or someone else. The A10 will be a tough conference next season. The Billikens will have their work cut out for them no matter who we land as the 3rd recruit in the spring.

Bills starting 5 next year - 2 Kwamain Mitchells, 2 Cody Ellis' and 1 Willie Reed. Kyle Cassity - 6th man. Nasty.

We are a going to have a great rotation going with Mitchell, McCall, Cassity and Femi/Reid/Jordan/Christian. I'm very excited about McCall and Loe...but I'm just as excited to see how much Smith grows offesively in the offseason. I'm sure he'll be working on that a lot this offseason and I think we are going to see another level of his game next year.

Bills starting 5 next year - 2 Kwamain Mitchells, 2 Cody Ellis' and 1 Willie Reed. Kyle Cassity - 6th man. Nasty.

I'd expect McCall to be the 6th man at least at the start of the season. KC's pretty high up on RM's ladder. Which is fine by me. Kid's savvy and getting more aggressive each time out. Still, to have Loe would be awesome. With WR there should be a lot of balls flying into the stands. I'd also like to see someone develop as a slashing type 3 who can shoot reasonably well from outside. Maybe Femi or Jon Smith works on his handles and shooting over the summer. Is Evans a 3?

I'd expect McCall to be the 6th man at least at the start of the season. KC's pretty high up on RM's ladder. Which is fine by me. Kid's savvy and getting more aggressive each time out. Still, to have Loe would be awesome. With WR there should be a lot of balls flying into the stands. I'd also like to see someone develop as a slashing type 3 who can shoot reasonably well from outside. Maybe Femi or Jon Smith works on his handles and shooting over the summer. Is Evans a 3?

How much McCall plays at the beginning of the year will depend on how quick he can adjust to playing defense at this level.

I'd expect McCall to be the 6th man at least at the start of the season. KC's pretty high up on RM's ladder. Which is fine by me.

I'd say you'll probably be right about that. I just want McCall to be THAT good. Gotta love those Irish black guys...

I'd say you'll probably be right about that. I just want McCall to be THAT good. Gotta love those Irish black guys...

Good point..sounds like he is a great athlete that will also meet you up at Humphrey's after the game and pound beers like it is his God given right...I love it.

it is my opinion that salecich's spot would be open to takeover before cassity's. i doubt evans is as "ready" to step in as mccall.

that said, for all we know this is douglas/gray all over again. we expected douglas to be the better and gray was the more consistent and valuable from the get go. plus i still get ricky cranford bumps every time we get giddy about a recruit without seeing for ourselves.

When does Loe have to pick SL....er, I mean, a school?

just read the article:

First, Mccall was 3rd in player of the year race behind Richardson (Illinois) and Blackshear (Louisville). Impressive.

Secondly, of the 7 seniors who are on the all-state teams, 5 signed with high major schools.

The remaining 2 signed with SLU.

That.is.Awesome.

it is my opinion that salecich's spot would be open to takeover before cassity's. i doubt evans is as "ready" to step in as mccall.

that said, for all we know this is douglas/gray all over again. we expected douglas to be the better and gray was the more consistent and valuable from the get go. plus i still get ricky cranford bumps every time we get giddy about a recruit without seeing for ourselves.

Historically, I'd agree with you. We've had so many recruits come in over the years that didn't pan out despite the hype.

That being said, Majerus' ability to evaluate and project talent at the D-1 level is one of his best coaching traits, so I'm confident that we'll have fewer busts and more pleasant surprises than in the past.

Historically, I'd agree with you. We've had so many recruits come in over the years that didn't pan out despite the hype.

That being said, Majerus' ability to evaluate and project talent at the D-1 level is one of his best coaching traits, so I'm confident that we'll have fewer busts and more pleasant surprises than in the past.

This will be the 1st time I can remember as a BIlliken fan that we will have very good players with a lot of potential who just don't get minutes. There are just so many to go around. I can't remember when I was so excited about an upcoming year.

Bigs

WR, CR, CE, BC and maybe Loe

Guards

KM, KC, MM, CS, FJ, JJ, PE

3-4 Combos or traditional 3's

JS, DE, JR

There are only 200 minutes to go around. I'd bet you can count on KM, KC, and CE for 90 of those, add 25 for WR and 20 for CS. MM will be getting 20 minutes by midseason. What if we add Loe?

How many minutes do guys like JJ, FJ, JR, and CR get? It's not like they are playing behind Jr's and Sr's and their time will come, it won't come. Thier choices will be to be limited role players or move on.

Of all the things that have changed since RM became coach the one thing that seems consistant and very welcome is the fact that he and his staff seem to do an excellent job of evaluating talent and then getting them to sign on the dotted line. Getting one of the top 3 players out of Chicago is awesome! And Evans is one of the top 10 so he really should help make the team better even if he does not play a lot of minutes early because he is reputed to be a tenacious competitor who will challenge everyone in practice and is a tough rebounder. The league will be very tough next year and our guys will need to really prepare in practice for tough games. These two young men will help us immeasureably in that regard.

This will be the 1st time I can remember as a BIlliken fan that we will have very good players with a lot of potential who just don't get minutes. There are just so many to go around. I can't remember when I was so excited about an upcoming year.

Bigs

WR, CR, CE, BC and maybe Loe

Guards

KM, KC, MM, CS, FJ, JJ, PE

3-4 Combos or traditional 3's

JS, DE, JR

There are only 200 minutes to go around. I'd bet you can count on KM, KC, and CE for 90 of those, add 25 for WR and 20 for CS. MM will be getting 20 minutes by midseason. What if we add Loe?

How many minutes do guys like JJ, FJ, JR, and CR get? It's not like they are playing behind Jr's and Sr's and their time will come, it won't come. Thier choices will be to be limited role players or move on.

I was just talking to my brother about the same thing. McCall is a higher level recruit than Tommie and Kevin and he probably won't start next year. Four years ago he would have immediately been the best player on the team.

Sure McCall will help with our woes at shooting guard. But we also have a hole at SF. Can Dwayne Evans contribute there? I'm curious to see how ready Evans is to contribute when he arrives on campus. Whether or not we get Loe is another huge variable. I get the impression that RM will add another player whether it be Loe or someone else. The A10 will be a tough conference next season. The Billikens will have their work cut out for them no matter who we land as the 3rd recruit in the spring.

Agree that we have a hole there, but don't think it is as serious a problem as our lack of a banger (which i know Loe is not) and a player that can stroke it from outside. Also, I think Jon Smif will be a better SF next year than any kid we could recruit at this point.

Of all the things that have changed since RM became coach the one thing that seems consistant and very welcome is the fact that he and his staff seem to do an excellent job of evaluating talent and then getting them to sign on the dotted line. Getting one of the top 3 players out of Chicago is awesome! And Evans is one of the top 10 so he really should help make the team better even if he does not play a lot of minutes early because he is reputed to be a tenacious competitor who will challenge everyone in practice and is a tough rebounder. The league will be very tough next year and our guys will need to really prepare in practice for tough games. These two young men will help us immeasureably in that regard.

Stole my thunder, Billikan. Great post!

This isn't the old regime (for better and for worse) and i think the fear of a Cranford is a lot lower nowadays.

Where Thompson and Cotto all-state? Making 1st and 2nd team all-state in Illinois is big time.

I can't recall us getting many hyped recruits over the years that didn't pan out.

Lisch and Liddell panned out. The Hughes class panned out. The Claggett's class, Douglas and Gray, and Bonner all panned out. Upchurch was never given the chance to pan out. I can't recall any other recruits that were hyped by any body else otyher than our fan base.

The problem was other than the Douglas and Gray followed by Bonner followed by Upchurch years we never have had a string of good recruiting years until RM. He looks like he's doing it year after year which bodes well and will also make next year's recruiting interesting since we're already recruiting for a scholarship we don't have open this year and have no one sheduled to leave next year. I'm not complaining. This is way better than scouring for players in May, June and July and always having unfilled scholarships.