Recruits

SShoe

Frank just mentioned that the SLU staff is expecting to add another recruit this year. No comment on who, but they expect that one of roughly four they are currently going after will sign. I'd love it to be Lowe, but Clyburn would be nice as well.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Majerus mentioned this last night in an interview with Frank. He wants to have as many kids ready to go next year as he can just in case something happens. So, we'll see how he tools around the scholarship issue..

Majerus mentioned this last night in an interview with Frank. He wants to have as many kids ready to go next year as he can just in case something happens. So, we'll see how he tools around the scholarship issue..

Competition's going to be tough next year. Which is what we want. Makes for better practices, faster development, and a deeper bench in the case of in***ies (don't want to jinx anyone). Look at the back court, KM, KC, CS (whose shown a lot recently), JJ, JR (if he returns), FJ, and the new kid from Chitown, and PE. That's 8 players, someone's likely not going to be here next year.

Then the inside guys, WR, CR, BC, CE, Evans, JS. = 5 + whoever else he's planning to sign, which looks like Loe, Clyburn, or a mystery player to be named later. And what if both Loe and Clyburn say yes, I'd love to play for SLU? Well, subtract 1 more from the backcourt list.

I can definitely imagine RM thinking he needs a little more help on the interior, so would figure it's an interior player or two he's got his eyes on. I know none of us like this "thanks for coming now there's the door", but it's reality in today's game. And if Loe, Clyburn, or the myster player's any good, which he/they must be, SLU fans have a lot to look forward to for the next 2-4 years at least. Face it, RM felt miserable after those losses to X and Temple, he knew that maybe he'd had the dance within shouting distance, but came up just a few players short. Also, the A-10's a fairly young league so it ain't getting any easier next year for us, and he, we as well, want to be a power next year. A couple of solid bigs, we could/should crack the top 25 next year if we get ourselves a decent out of conf schedule.

Competition's going to be tough next year. Which is what we want. Makes for better practices, faster development, and a deeper bench in the case of in***ies (don't want to jinx anyone). Look at the back court, KM, KC, CS (whose shown a lot recently), JJ, JR (if he returns), FJ, and the new kid from Chitown, and PE. That's 8 players, someone's likely not going to be here next year.

Then the inside guys, WR, CR, BC, CE, Evans, JS. = 5 + whoever else he's planning to sign, which looks like Loe, Clyburn, or a mystery player to be named later. And what if both Loe and Clyburn say yes, I'd love to play for SLU? Well, subtract 1 more from the backcourt list.

I can definitely imagine RM thinking he needs a little more help on the interior, so would figure it's an interior player or two he's got his eyes on. I know none of us like this "thanks for coming now there's the door", but it's reality in today's game. And if Loe, Clyburn, or the myster player's any good, which he/they must be, SLU fans have a lot to look forward to for the next 2-4 years at least. Face it, RM felt miserable after those losses to X and Temple, he knew that maybe he'd had the dance within shouting distance, but came up just a few players short. Also, the A-10's a fairly young league so it ain't getting any easier next year for us, and he, we as well, want to be a power next year. A couple of solid bigs, we could/should crack the top 25 next year if we get ourselves a decent out of conf schedule.

Looks like my math was bad on the interior players, we're carrying 5 now + Evans= 6. Still if he has his sights set on adding 2 more players in addition to the 2 coming in, 2 are still left out in the cold.

Everything I've read on Clyburn makes it sound like he's leaning toward Iowa State.

Which is interesting, because they already have so many guys that fit his description. I guess Brackins could leave early and Gilstrap is graduating, but when I saw them beat us in Chicago, they felt like a team entirely comprised of tall, wiry wing players. No one looks as big in person as they're listed on the roster. They should be pushing more for strong point and shooting guards and bigs who can bang instead of tall wings or athletic forwards.

Which is interesting, because they already have so many guys that fit his description. I guess Brackins could leave early and Gilstrap is graduating, but when I saw them beat us in Chicago, they felt like a team entirely comprised of tall, wiry wing players. No one looks as big in person as they're listed on the roster. They should be pushing more for strong point and shooting guards and bigs who can bang instead of tall wings or athletic forwards.

Cyclones offer JUCO SF Clyburn

Paul Clark

CycloneReport.com Publisher

Apparently Iowa State does plan on having at least one more scholarship available for next season. Marshalltown (Iowa) Community College small forward Will Clyburn said that he has received an ISU offer as a 2010 JUCO prospect.

The 6-foot-6, 185-pound Clyburn - a high school teammate Cyclone sophomore guard Dominque Buckley at Detroit Romulus - said the offer came to him via telephone from Iowa State head coach Greg McDermott.

Iowa State is the first high major offer for JUCO wing Will Clyburn.

"He came down Thursday and watched me play and I talked to him for a little while after the game," Clyburn said. "Then later on he called me when I was back in my dorm room and we talked some more and he said I had an offer."

Clyburn, who recently went off for 54 points in a single game for MCC, said receiving his first high major scholarship offer does not alter his timeline and approach on making a commitment decision.

"I am still going to wait until April, it doesn't change anything," said Clyburn. "I've always like Iowa State a lot and now I have an offer from them along with some other schools. I will keep my options open and make a decision when the time comes."

Clyburn said he's also been offered by Duquesne, Central Michigan, UNI, Utah, St. Louis and Wichita State.

Clyburn is ranked as the No. 53 JUCO prospect in the country for 2010 by Rivals.com.

Frank just mentioned that the SLU staff is expecting to add another recruit this year. No comment on who, but they expect that one of roughly four they are currently going after will sign. I'd love it to be Lowe, but Clyburn would be nice as well.

Ladies might love it to be Lowe, but we want it to be Loe.

Cyclones offer JUCO SF Clyburn

Paul Clark

CycloneReport.com Publisher

Apparently Iowa State does plan on having at least one more scholarship available for next season. Marshalltown (Iowa) Community College small forward Will Clyburn said that he has received an ISU offer as a 2010 JUCO prospect.

The 6-foot-6, 185-pound Clyburn - a high school teammate Cyclone sophomore guard Dominque Buckley at Detroit Romulus - said the offer came to him via telephone from Iowa State head coach Greg McDermott.

Iowa State is the first high major offer for JUCO wing Will Clyburn.

"He came down Thursday and watched me play and I talked to him for a little while after the game," Clyburn said. "Then later on he called me when I was back in my dorm room and we talked some more and he said I had an offer."

Clyburn, who recently went off for 54 points in a single game for MCC, said receiving his first high major scholarship offer does not alter his timeline and approach on making a commitment decision.

"I am still going to wait until April, it doesn't change anything," said Clyburn. "I've always like Iowa State a lot and now I have an offer from them along with some other schools. I will keep my options open and make a decision when the time comes."

Clyburn said he's also been offered by Duquesne, Central Michigan, UNI, Utah, St. Louis and Wichita State.

Clyburn is ranked as the No. 53 JUCO prospect in the country for 2010 by Rivals.com.

According to ESPN they already have a player who is exactly the same size and description as Clyburn signed for next year. I know we have been recruiting him for a long time and we are very interested. If you look at our roster for the next two years, the only type of player who seems to be missing is the exact description of Clyburn. An athletic 6'6 scoring three would fit in nicely with the developing group of young players we have in the mix. Loe, as a tough rebounding outside shooting big man would like nice in a Bills uniform as well and that may be the other missing piece to the puzzle. With Willie stronger and improved, if we can continue to shoot the ball well and move it -- he will get more one on one opportunities and he will be very tough to stop! Gosh, it is wonderful to look at all of the possibilities.

According to ESPN they already have a player who is exactly the same size and description as Clyburn signed for next year. I know we have been recruiting him for a long time and we are very interested. If you look at our roster for the next two years, the only type of player who seems to be missing is the exact description of Clyburn. An athletic 6'6 scoring three would fit in nicely with the developing group of young players we have in the mix. Loe, as a tough rebounding outside shooting big man would like nice in a Bills uniform as well and that may be the other missing piece to the puzzle. With Willie stronger and improved, if we can continue to shoot the ball well and move it -- he will get more one on one opportunities and he will be very tough to stop! Gosh, it is wonderful to look at all of the possibilities.

I hope McCall is (or either of KC or CS continue to transform into) that dead-eye outside shooter that we need.

I hope McCall is (or either of KC or CS continue to transform into) that dead-eye outside shooter that we need.

I am probably way too excited about all of this but this staff has done such a wonderful job of identifying and landing quality players that I have very high hopes for McCall. He is playing against tough and physical competition and scoring well. He really reminds me of KM and we know how wonderful he has become in less than two years. Christian looks more comfortable now than even a month ago and I would expect even better play next year. Cody will be stronger and in better shape. We could be REALLY GOOD! Why not start a little early and just win three more games this week?

A couple of months ago, I was worried about 3-point shooting, but not as much anymore. The biggest change has been the addition of Cody. In addition, Kwamain has made himself into an effective outside shooter. Cassity has become more reliable since the addition of Cody and Jordan has been our best 3-point (percentage) shooter all season. Christian has been better of late and I gotta think will have a better percentage next year. Plus you add McCall to the mix and I feel good that we will have a lot of good outside shooting threats next year. And looking at the two top recruiting targets, Loe and Clyburn, are each supposed to be able to hit the outside shot. We have been attempting a lot of 3-pointers lately and I think it will be bombs away a lot next year.

My biggest question is how else will we score? Who besides Willie will be able to finish around the rim? We need more points in the paint. Will we push the tempo and get more transition baskets? Will we get improved offensive rebounding which will lead to more second chance points?

A couple of months ago, I was worried about 3-point shooting, but not as much anymore. The biggest change has been the addition of Cody. In addition, Kwamain has made himself into an effective outside shooter. Cassity has become more reliable since the addition of Cody and Jordan has been our best 3-point (percentage) shooter all season. Christian has been better of late and I gotta think will have a better percentage next year. Plus you add McCall to the mix and I feel good that we will have a lot of good outside shooting threats next year. And looking at the two top recruiting targets, Loe and Clyburn, are each supposed to be able to hit the outside shot. We have been attempting a lot of 3-pointers lately and I think it will be bombs away a lot next year.

My biggest question is how else will we score? Who besides Willie will be able to finish around the rim? We need more points in the paint. Will we push the tempo and get more transition baskets? Will we get improved offensive rebounding which will lead to more second chance points?

CE will need to post up at times next yr depending on the matchup.

If CR gets more minutes next yr, he showed that he has much more offense than BC around the rim....I remember a couple times we fed him the ball on the block in the Temple game. I think CR has been a bright spot the last few games, he will be a great contributor in the future. He's more active on defense (although lacking the strength) than BC and has more offensive skills than BC (thats not hard)

And yes, I think with MM added to our team we could play with more tempo....him, KM, and either KC/CS on the break.

I also plan to add another 20-30 lbs to WR this yr.

I don't really care about Loe and Clyburn. I am just excited to see the same old Billikens plus McCall and Evans. That's all we really need. I think JR and everyone else will be back next year which means we won't have room beyond MM and DE. (12 - 1(PE) + 2(MM,DE) = 13)

35.5 more hours until gametime. Can't wait- Game is going be intense!

The margin for error on this current team is slim. This year is so far so good. I am all for adding more if we can and if it can be accomodated scholarship wise.

I've got to believe that Eckerle goes off athletic scholarship. Paul's a grat kid and adds from a leadership presnece but who's minutes do you see him taking next year? Can you see him on the court instead of Cassity? Mitchell? Salecich? Jordan? McCall? I can't.

Reid is the next question. Does he recover from his injuries? Are a bunion and a concussion signs of things to come? I don't know but the answer has to come soon. I've had concussions, but not one as serious as Jeff. I had a buddy in high school playing offensive line. He got one concussion and it must have been severe because he was never really "right" after it. And he was ordered to stop playing sports due to it. A brain ijury is scary nowadays. I'd love to see Jeff come back and be our JJ Reddick or Chris Collins. We just don't know so what do the coaches know? What do you do ---- wait on Jeff or be proactive and go on the assumption he won't be back and recruit over that spot? I don't know but its got to be a dilemma in today's college basketball landscape.

We are woefully undersized and outmanned in the paint. Willie gets pushed all over the place. So too does Cory. Smith is, like Remuken, a work in progress. To hedge bets waitin gon these guys to add muscle, well, I don't know. Willie didn't add much this year. What makes us believe 20 pounds of muscle is coming next year? Conklin can stand up to the physicality, but at a disadvantage as an offensive option. Not a big deal however if Reed, Ellis, Mitchell and Cassity are a year wiser and more mature. Maybe.

Next year we also go to Temple and Xavier and they combined are losing only Love. Plus the road gets a littl eharder in going to Rhode Island and the dreaded Nanook of the North trip to Olean.

Nope, I say adding one would be better and a big or a small forward would be nice.

The margin for error on this current team is slim. This year is so far so good. I am all for adding more if we can and if it can be accomodated scholarship wise.

I've got to believe that Eckerle goes off athletic scholarship. Paul's a grat kid and adds from a leadership presnece but who's minutes do you see him taking next year? Can you see him on the court instead of Cassity? Mitchell? Salecich? Jordan? McCall? I can't.

Reid is the next question. Does he recover from his injuries? Are a bunion and a concussion signs of things to come? I don't know but the answer has to come soon. I've had concussions, but not one as serious as Jeff. I had a buddy in high school playing offensive line. He got one concussion and it must have been severe because he was never really "right" after it. And he was ordered to stop playing sports due to it. A brain ijury is scary nowadays. I'd love to see Jeff come back and be our JJ Reddick or Chris Collins. We just don't know so what do the coaches know? What do you do ---- wait on Jeff or be proactive and go on the assumption he won't be back and recruit over that spot? I don't know but its got to be a dilemma in today's college basketball landscape.

We are woefully undersized and outmanned in the paint. Willie gets pushed all over the place. So too does Cory. Smith is, like Remuken, a work in progress. To hedge bets waitin gon these guys to add muscle, well, I don't know. Willie didn't add much this year. What makes us believe 20 pounds of muscle is coming next year? Conklin can stand up to the physicality, but at a disadvantage as an offensive option. Not a big deal however if Reed, Ellis, Mitchell and Cassity are a year wiser and more mature. Maybe.

Next year we also go to Temple and Xavier and they combined are losing only Love. Plus the road gets a littl eharder in going to Rhode Island and the dreaded Nanook of the North trip to Olean.

Nope, I say adding one would be better and a big or a small forward would be nice.

By all accounts Paul is going off his athletic scholarship, but that doesn't create any more room. Without Paul, and with Dwayne Evans and MIKE MCCALL, we are at our 13 scholarship limit. Unless someone is leaving, we aren't adding anyone to the team except someone whose name is "Walk-On" to Majerus.

The problem I have with this line of thinking is that it treats these kids like pieces of meat or machinery, rather than developing young men. All of them were recruited to the team because the coaches believed they would help the program become a winner. The idea of cutting a player because his body is developing "slowly" is repulsive. If he isn't trying, then I can understand, but as long as he's putting in the work, he should be on the team. These are not professionals. The goal upon entering college is to leave with a degree, and Coach Majerus preaches along those lines all of the time, so he shouldn't be grasping for that "one-year deal" escape clause in order to recruit someone bigger, stronger, or faster — or whatever — as long as the players who were good enough to recruit in the first place are doing what they're supposed to do.

Only if a player voluntarily leaves or is unwilling to make the effort the coaching staff wants would I accept an attempt to bring in another player. Otherwise it seems that Coach Majerus is insincere about caring about their education foremost.