Recruiting

One thing that I really like about RM is that he never stops recruiting. We don't have any scholarships available, and yet RM keeps recruiting, just in case we have an opening or two. I checked the Scout recruiting site and according to the site, SLU has 3 offers out currently:

Rob Loe 6'11', class of 2010

Christian Kirk, 6'7", class of 2011

Michael Henry, 6'5", class of 2011

And this doesn't Ben McLamore 6'5" shooting guard from St. Louis who the Bills are also apparently looking at as well.

I realize we will probably not sign another 3 or4 players this year and next. But it is good to know that RM and his staff continues to look just in case a player or two leave the program.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope we get Loe. We need someone bigger and better than Kirk. I don't know Michael Henry. McClemore is 6'3" and very good but, it is reported that he is not interested in coming to SLU.

He is taller than 6'5" and I would not give up hope.

He is taller than 6'5" and I would not give up hope.

Kirk's Scout profile has a story w/ the headline "Rawboned junior Christian Kirk likes to bang on the inside". First word that came to mind was "COCKSTRONG" and now i've got snot all down the front of my face.

Guest BillikenReport

One thing that I really like about RM is that he never stops recruiting. We don't have any scholarships available, and yet RM keeps recruiting, just in case we have an opening or two. I checked the Scout recruiting site and according to the site, SLU has 3 offers out currently:

Rob Loe 6'11', class of 2010

Christian Kirk, 6'7", class of 2011

Michael Henry, 6'5", class of 2011

And this doesn't Ben McLamore 6'5" shooting guard from St. Louis who the Bills are also apparently looking at as well.

I'm sure there are more scholarship offers than that out to kids that either I haven't heard about or that the higher ups at Scout.com — the only ones who can update that information on the site — know about.

SLU has already targeted several sophomores, including a couple in the Chicago area.

McClemore is 6'5 or 6'6.

I watched the game between Ritter and Wellston and McClemore is at least two inches shorter than Ritter's sophomore Biedscheid who is 6'5". He was also announced as being 6'3". If he is 6'5" then Biedscheid is 6'7" and no way is he is not that tall, yet. I say yet because his father is 6'7".

I watched the game between Ritter and Wellston and McClemore is at least two inches shorter than Ritter's sophomore Biedscheid who is 6'5". He was also announced as being 6'3". If he is 6'5" then Biedscheid is 6'7" and no way is he is not that tall, yet. I say yet because his father is 6'7".

McLemore is indeed 6'5". He was 6'3" as a freshman. I'm about 6'3" and he stands all over me. the Biedschied kid is pretty tall as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently McLemore recently received an offer from KU. He has recently said that Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, and Louisville are the schools that he really likes and apparently Kansas is at the top of that list. KU fans expect a verbal soon now that he has an offer.

STLHoops was all over this kid early in his career saying that he would be a high major recruit. It is just too bad he may be taking his ability out of the state.

Apparently McLemore recently received an offer from KU. He has recently said that Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, and Louisville are the schools that he really likes and apparently Kansas is at the top of that list. KU fans expect a verbal soon now that he has an offer.

STLHoops was all over this kid early in his career saying that he would be a high major recruit. It is just too bad he may be taking his ability out of the state.

Good call by vtime and his brother. I've got to think this is a kid that RM talked to and RM has since moved on if those are indeed the schools McLemore is looking at. Doesn't seem like RM to stay with a kid that has bigger schools in mind.

Good call by vtime and his brother. I've got to think this is a kid that RM talked to and RM has since moved on if those are indeed the schools McLemore is looking at. Doesn't seem like RM to stay with a kid that has bigger schools in mind.

Hopefully within a couple more years RM will have us in a position where we can recruit against the "big boys", if not against the "BIG BOYS." It will be nice when we can honestly compete for recruits against schools like ILL, Vandy, WISC, Purdue etc even if we can't get the players that KS, KY, NC, FLA or Duke recruit. (I have intentionally left MO out of this post, because I don't think RM is looking for any HS player who wants to play in the Mike A. system.)

This ability to upgrade targeted recruits might also be helped by a potential Conf. realignment, AND I DON'T MEAN ONE WHERE WE WIND UP IN THE MVC! If any of the new conference realignments materialize, and we wind up in a league with X, UD, Marq, Depaul and Butler (just to name a few) we should have no problem recruiting at the almost-highest level.

Hopefully within a couple more years RM will have us in a position where we can recruit against the "big boys", if not against the "BIG BOYS." It will be nice when we can honestly compete for recruits against schools like ILL, Vandy, WISC, Purdue etc even if we can't get the players that KS, KY, NC, FLA or Duke recruit. (I have intentionally left MO out of this post, because I don't think RM is looking for any HS player who wants to play in the Mike A. system.)

This ability to upgrade targeted recruits might also be helped by a potential Conf. realignment, AND I DON'T MEAN ONE WHERE WE WIND UP IN THE MVC! If any of the new conference realignments materialize, and we wind up in a league with X, UD, Marq, Depaul and Butler (just to name a few) we should have no problem recruiting at the almost-highest level.

I could care less about going up against those schools for players. RM has clearly shown that he can recruit good players to his system.

I hope we get Loe. We need someone bigger and better than Kirk. I don't know Michael Henry. McClemore is 6'3" and very good but, it is reported that he is not interested in coming to SLU.

kirk is an improved and more athletic and better shooting conklin imo. and i love conklin.

Just for fun, there is a new video out on McLemore and its outstanding. Also, you should be able to see he's much taller that 6'3.

Be nice to land a local instead of losing 'em all to the bigs.

Yeah, it would nice, but after the success of this year's team and anticipated future success over the next 2 years, I dont think anyone can argue with the staff's recruiting anymore. It just seems a little annoying that with both Beal and McLemore, the staff had to wait for the high-major schools to deem these kids worthy of an offer before extending an offer of their own, despite the fact that they can see the kids play easier and more often than outside schools. But despite that, this staff has built a winner that looks to be a force for years to come and its only year 3 as a staff. A+ job by the staff recruiting.

Yeah, it would nice, but after the success of this year's team and anticipated future success over the next 2 years, I dont think anyone can argue with the staff's recruiting anymore. It just seems a little annoying that with both Beal and McLemore, the staff had to wait for the high-major schools to deem these kids worthy of an offer before extending an offer of their own, despite the fact that they can see the kids play easier and more often than outside schools. But despite that, this staff has built a winner that looks to be a force for years to come and its only year 3 as a staff. A+ job by the staff recruiting.

Agree on the grade for recruiting. With Rick as an experienced coach, and the engaging personlity of Porter, you get the perfect storm for potential recruits. I spoke with Porter after a game not knowing the guy at all, and in 5 minutes I felt like I knew the guy for years. He was actually listening to what I was saying and not just blowing me off. If he is listening to some drunk fool after a game, I can imagine how he 'works the living rooms' as JimboFive said previously. The guy knows what he is doing and I feel safe with future recruiting in his hands. Rick and Porter are a great combo.

We will never be able to recruit against the "big boys" if the kid wants to go away or go big time. If the kid wants to stay local or is looking for something else then we can beat the big boys out but only then.

Be nice to land a local instead of losing 'em all to the bigs.

How does a 6'5" kid help us in rebounding? First everybody including you want a banger now you want a local kid who will play a 2/3 at least be consistent you can not mathematically have everybody.

It just seems a little annoying that with both Beal and McLemore, the staff had to wait for the high-major schools to deem these kids worthy of an offer before extending an offer of their own, despite the fact that they can see the kids play easier and more often than outside schools.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Im pretty sure that is the case on Beal. Majerus seems more apt to offer a guy out of wisconsin that somebody in his own backyard. Thats just my opinion though.

Agree on the grade for recruiting. With Rick as an experienced coach, and the engaging personlity of Porter, you get the perfect storm for potential recruits. I spoke with Porter after a game not knowing the guy at all, and in 5 minutes I felt like I knew the guy for years. He was actually listening to what I was saying and not just blowing me off. If he is listening to some drunk fool after a game, I can imagine how he 'works the living rooms' as JimboFive said previously. The guy knows what he is doing and I feel safe with future recruiting in his hands. Rick and Porter are a great combo.

He is gonna be a great head coach/